Awe & Dread presence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awe & Dread presence

So, I suddenly had a doubt about both Majesty and Nightmare 1: it's stated a vampire can fortify itself against such by lashing out his aura. Since, normally, the opponent can reply with its own aura, which is an instant action, and both awe and Dread are an instant action as well, how can the user contest the opponent predatory aura? I hope it doesn't mean that he can't and the opponent is the only one lashing out to fortify against the discipline. That would really suck making Majesty and Nightmare almost useless against the vast majority of vampire and situation.

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    So, I suddenly had a doubt about both Majesty and Nightmare 1: it's stated a vampire can fortify itself against such by lashing out his aura. Since, normally, the opponent can reply with its own aura, which is an instant action, and both awe and Dread are an instant action as well, how can the user contest the opponent predatory aura? I hope it doesn't mean that he can't and the opponent is the only one lashing out to fortify against the discipline. That would really suck making Majesty and Nightmare almost useless against the vast majority of vampire and situation.
    Repsonding to Lashing Out is not an instant action so there's no conflict in the rules.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Repsonding to Lashing Out is not an instant action so there's no conflict in the rules.
      Sorry, what in the text let you think that? I might have lost something but it states whoever lash out take a simple action of the appropriate kind. The opponent may decide to respond with the same or another kind of aura end possibly spend a wp if the BP is lower than the opponent. It makes me think responding is following the same rules as if it were the attacker.

Comment

Sorry, what in the text let you think that? I might have lost something but it states whoever lash out take a simple action of the appropriate kind. The opponent may decide to respond with the same or another kind of aura end possibly spend a wp if the BP is lower than the opponent. It makes me think responding is following the same rules as if it were the attacker.
        Because everything which is done in response to something else is always reflexive (otherwise you can't respond until it's your turn in the initiative meaning the effect either would take place before you can respond or be put on hold until you can), and unless it's specifically called out reflexive actions don't take away your instant action.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Because everything which is done in response to something else is always reflexive (otherwise you can't respond until it's your turn in the initiative meaning the effect either would take place before you can respond or be put on hold until you can), and unless it's specifically called out reflexive actions don't take away your instant action.

Well, the first example which come into my mind is combat: the attacker with the higher initiative throw a punch, the defender - lower in initiative - can decide to defend as an action, not being able to perform any other action and yet responding to the primary actor.

Comment

Well, the first example which come into my mind is combat: the attacker with the higher initiative throw a punch, the defender - lower in initiative - can decide to defend as an action, not being able to perform any other action and yet responding to the primary actor.
            Dodge was exactly the reason I included that bit. It's by far the most notable exception, but it's also close to the only exception (I think there's a Fighting Style that does something similar, but if so it's obviously based on the Dodge action).
            As a general rule, every time you contest a power you do so reflexively without giving up your instant action. The fight response to Lashing Out is the same.

Comment

Dodge was exactly the reason I included that bit. It's by far the most notable exception, but it's also close to the only exception (I think there's a Fighting Style that does something similar, but if so it's obviously based on the Dodge action).
              As a general rule, every time you contest a power you do so reflexively without giving up your instant action. The fight response to Lashing Out is the same.
              Got it. Well it makes sense indeed. Otherwise it would have been a bit bugged

Comment

Working...
              X