X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monteparnas
    started a topic Crazy Chronicle Idea I just want to share

Crazy Chronicle Idea I just want to share

I had a dream this night and am really thinking about making it into a chronicle for my group. But as my dreams are, this is a really strange one.

This happens after some catastrophic event that is enough to turn my home city into some sort of overtly supernatural Robocop-style Detroit. And then a coterie of five neonates explore the place and somehow are turned into Power Rangers. And acquire the ability to eat tarts and fried chicken in addition to blood.

Not saying this is good, it was a dream, but I had to share and am curious to know how I could handle this. I'm thinking about the transformation giving them extra dots in Disciplines, but I'm not sure what else. Also, since it is a bare-bones idea, anything can be added.

• Hastur00
    replied
    Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
    There are other curios. The city was created to be the seat of power of the country, after all.
    Oh-HO, so not just a city free of Kindred presence, but a *country* free of Kindred *influence.*

You know, at first the place my mind went after hearing "Kindred inimical" and "planned city" was "Underground." Someplace developed in secret while ground was being broken, so Kindred could minimize their civic footprint even further. A city designed to convince even other supernaturals that vampires couldn't possibly be there, and to me, THAT says either "fallback," "safehouse," or "emergency bunker."

Things like main avenues being purposefully built to double as airports if needed, among other things.
    Defense planning, is that the case? Sounds right on track.

it is a planned city created on 21 April, 1960, if that helps your brainstorm in some way. Located in the very center of the country, surrounded by farms, in an area where half the year is rainy and moist, and the other half is dry as a desert (and I mean it, bellow 20% humidity right now). We have a man-made lake nearby created for the purpose of alleviating the dryness a little (it should be worse).
    So a centralized location, built in the early 60's, self-sufficient in food, anticipating water shortages, that also has Giant supernatural defenders?

Yeah, it sounds like a vampire Cold war prep. Actually, never mind other supernaturals noticing their presence, this would be a perfect setup for Kindred to weather a long-term siege or wartime status.
    And after all that groundwork, now the CITY is eating people😕
    Eager to see how the Zords were built to handle nukes, tho😁
    Last edited by Hastur00; 09-09-2021, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    There are other curios. The city was created to be the seat of power of the country, after all. Things like main avenues being purposefully built to double as airports if needed, among other things. I like where your ideas are pointing.

Leave a comment:

• Hastur00
    replied
    Either way, it is probable that he was either a Dragon's retainer or selected by one. There is so much confirmed and rumored mystical shenanigans in the creation of this city that it does seem like a Dragon's project.
    Sounds like an Architect of the Monolith.

It is also a project unusually ill-suited for vampires. Most "ready-to-take" refugee concepts are almost non-existent here. Our water and drainage systems are next to the surface and made out of concrete tubes where an adult can barely crawl through the biggest ones, it is meant to be repaired by drilling at the place. There are no tunnels. On most of the city even basements are required to still have some access to direct sunlight, some places do so by keeping the ceiling above ground, others by having an external corridor with just grates for ceiling. Even big dumpsters don't have lids.
    ...and THIS makes it especially interesting, because why would a vampire deliberately create a city thats infrastructure was hostile to vampires?

Hot take; the city's creation was influenced or spearheaded by a vampire as an act of charity or contrition.
    Maybe too many years of watching vampires abuse humans moved them to create a safe space.
    Maybe they were Prince elsewhere once, and watched their domain crumble under the weight of too many hungry mouths.
    Maybe they took revenge on the worst offenders by inviting them to a fresh, customized new feeding ground, then juiced them and put them in the mortar to power the city's defenses.
    Maybe carnivorous buildings and angry strix were the result.
    That would provide a rationale for the city's features, and include a nice little and include a nice little "futility of justified violence" theme.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
    So basically Brazilia, alt Requiem edition? Any chance of Niemeyer being a Dragon's retainer? He did have a quite respectable lifespan....
    Died from 10 days to completing 105, queira eu viver tanto tempo!

But he was actually a Carioca, devised many of the buildings but never lived here. Either way, it is probable that he was either a Dragon's retainer or selected by one. There is so much confirmed and rumored mystical shenanigans in the creation of this city that it does seem like a Dragon's project.

It is also a project unusually ill-suited for vampires. Most "ready-to-take" refugee concepts are almost non-existent here. Our water and drainage systems are next to the surface and made out of concrete tubes where an adult can barely crawl through the biggest ones, it is meant to be repaired by drilling at the place. There are no tunnels. On most of the city even basements are required to still have some access to direct sunlight, some places do so by keeping the ceiling above ground, others by having an external corridor with just grates for ceiling. Even big dumpsters don't have lids.

My take from this was always that safe heavens are far more important as a commodity for local vampires. Either the place was altered to properly block sunlight or you'll have a lot of work, and being caught in the streets by the approaching sunrise isn't something to ever take lightly.

Open ground is common, though, the city is full of patches of grass and tress everywhere. Some say that between the green and Niemeyer's buildings this seems like an Elven city. So Protean is fairly valuable.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    I actually find those ideas excellent! I'll think about them to find out who would be the enemy and who would create the Rangers and/or the Zords.

By the way, it is a planned city created on 21 April, 1960, if that helps your brainstorm in some way. Located in the very center of the country, surrounded by farms, in an area where half the year is rainy and moist, and the other half is dry as a desert (and I mean it, bellow 20% humidity right now). We have a man-made lake nearby created for the purpose of alleviating the dryness a little (it should be worse).

So basically Brazilia, alt Requiem edition? Any chance of Niemeyer being a Dragon's retainer? He did have a quite respectable lifespan....

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    I actually find those ideas excellent! I'll think about them to find out who would be the enemy and who would create the Rangers and/or the Zords.

By the way, it is a planned city created on 21 April, 1960, if that helps your brainstorm in some way. Located in the very center of the country, surrounded by farms, in an area where half the year is rainy and moist, and the other half is dry as a desert (and I mean it, bellow 20% humidity right now). We have a man-made lake nearby created for the purpose of alleviating the dryness a little (it should be worse).

Leave a comment:

• Hastur00
    replied
    Owler Rangers. The owl is the entire megazord.
    Aw. I was gonna suggest the Owl be its own transforming standalone villain Megazord that kicks the rangers' asses halfway through the first season and joins them the second😕

Also, given predatory buildings... what if they were the monsters? Like, even the city is so disgusted by human corruption that it begins manifesting gigantic threats to exterminate the infestation? Like imagine Gotham city animated Axis Chemicals to kill everybody, and the five biggest pieces of gothic statuary came alive to stop it.

Let me know if that conclusion is too far too leap to before I pull a groin muscle.😬

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
    The first aesthetic that sprang to mind was Cool World, but to be fair, that movie is not far from my mind at the best of times.

So are we talking full on zentai rangers? Themed/combining Zords? Maybe Bat, Wolf, Leech, Serpent, and Spider, joined to form the Nightmare Megazord? Not a perfect Clan parallel, but it's a start.

If the residents of the city don't hate them for constantly destroying the abandoned warehouse district, I imagine they'll have some pretty vocal fans. Probably a lot less wholesome than the kind of folks you'd find at the juice bar, especially given the setting; Dethklok fan meets blood doll Japanese groupy, up to the point of being a public cult.
    Not quite Cool World. The overall aesthetic of the dream, and that I want to stick to, is more somber. Also, my city isn't anything like that and despite some shocking changes it was still pretty recognizable. I live in Brasília, if you want to look it up, something akin to Washington DC I think. The building seemed normal at first, but at certain floors, if you paid attention, you could see the faint glow of giant, feral eyes, moving like searching for prey, and feel more than see the gargantuan mouth. It did give the impression that the buildings could act through some means despite not moving.

Streetlights didn't worked almost nowhere anymore, and most buildings didn't gave off any light through the windows, so the only lights came from pockets of street level commerce and the eventual open door, as even people avoided lighting cellphones and such to not attract robbers. Even then I remember being accosted by a thief and being left alone after explaining that it was the 3rd or 4th in a row and I had nothing on me anymore. Even the criminals were starting to leave the city because it was that overcrowded by crime.

But yeah, despite it being a pretty dark and unsettling dream, it was, and the idea stands, full on Super Sentai. To be fair it isn't even Power Rangers because, despite it being as ubiquitous here as it is in the US, my personal experience is far more with dubs or subtitled direct Tokusatsu than western adaptations. I'll reserve the ideas for zords, thanks!

And lets see what kinds of fans they'll gather in the way. On one hand, they're vampires, on the other, they're heroes. One thing they will probably be in secret, the other they'll maybe be more openly. And they'll also be a great boon for bakeries and chicken restaurants, maybe the center of a big fight between KFC and the local Frango no Pote.

No owl?
    Owler Rangers. The owl is the entire megazord.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
    The first aesthetic that sprang to mind was Cool World, but to be fair, that movie is not far from my mind at the best of times.

So are we talking full on zentai rangers? Themed/combining Zords? Maybe Bat, Wolf, Leech, Serpent, and Spider, joined to form the Nightmare Megazord? Not a perfect Clan parallel, but it's a start.
    No owl?

Leave a comment:

• Hastur00
    replied
    had things like sentient buildings with eyes and mouth.

If the residents of the city don't hate them for constantly destroying the abandoned warehouse district, I imagine they'll have some pretty vocal fans. Probably a lot less wholesome than the kind of folks you'd find at the juice bar, especially given the setting; Dethklok fan meets blood doll Japanese groupy, up to the point of being a public cult.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Fair point, but what would the main differences be, beside perhaps pack/team coreographies/tactics, then?
    One Ranger of each Clan will be perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Now that you mention, I'll probably put the Fangires as their own thing. Mechanically a sixth clan for NPCs, in lore a part of the 13 Demon Races and I'll see from where those came from. Each one either appearing mechanically as a special z-splat of some main splat, or as a living McGuffing, but with abilities linking them.

But that's not the main thing because the PCs will be Rangers, not Riders. And for no other reason.

Fair point, but what would the main differences be, beside perhaps pack/team coreographies/tactics, then?

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Now that you mention, I'll probably put the Fangires as their own thing. Mechanically a sixth clan for NPCs, in lore a part of the 13 Demon Races and I'll see from where those came from. Each one either appearing mechanically as a special z-splat of some main splat, or as a living McGuffing, but with abilities linking them.

But that's not the main thing because the PCs will be Rangers, not Riders. And for no other reason.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Quite similar, although in the dream it was less overtly violent but had things like sentient buildings with eyes and mouth.

None of this appeared, but aren't bad ideas!

They did had aesthetics resembling Kamen Rider Kiva, though.
    So more Fangire than Sabbat perhaps? I guess it goes well with the sentient buildings with eyes and mouth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X