About the Unaligned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Father Enoch View Post

One Prince was an English Ventrue who came to China in the 1850s to sell opium and the other was a Chinese Mekhet fighting in a nationalist group to kill the English and stop the opium running. They became rivals and nearly killed each other several times. Then, as the decades wore on, the Mekhet watched her group devolve into a gang that took over the opium trade instead of stopping it. The Ventrue was so successful his sire kept sending him back to Shanghai until he started to see it as a second home... Which he had poisoned with opium for years. They not only lost respect for their sides, but their close associates eventually fell to either the fighting or other misfortunes and were replaced by strangers who held them in contempt. The Mekhet's inability to kill the Ventrue was blamed on her gender, and the Ventrue was mocked for being unable to kill the Mekhet in spite of her gender.

By the time WW2 was on the verge of starting, both realized they were the only ones left who still knew each other, who still respected each other, and who felt anything other than indifference to each other. When Japan invaded Shanghai, they left together for North America.

Big question is - what covenants were those, if any?

Because from your description their kindred connections seemed to be pretty much adjacent to mortal society. Either of them could have been Carthian, Invictus, in some localized covenant or neither, just playing into local kindred cliques & coteries connected to certain communities (british, chinese, merchants, opium-contrabandists/peddlers, tongs, etc). Even competing factions within the same covenant is perfectly possible within this rough sketch of a mutual backstory (and might explain much of the badmouthing behind backs, difficulties with mutual destruction, shifting/muddled priorities and more).

Still very much open for grabs, depending on how much you want to invest or not in that part of the duo's story to expand them or come up with plot hooks.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 06-15-2022, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I must have forgotten to add the Covenants. The Ventrue was Invictus, and the Mekhet was in the Ordo Dracul.

I think I'm going to go with monteparnas' input. They said that as long as the Princes have a secure power base and some way of establishing contact, they should still retain at least some status in their respective Covenants.

Comment

I think I'm going to go with monteparnas' input. They said that as long as the Princes have a secure power base and some way of establishing contact, they should still retain at least some status in their respective Covenants.
        It's a good starting point for certain, main matter is how much of a presence either covenant has, if any, in their shared city or their degree of contact/correspondence with them as a whole.

Sorry, I must have forgotten to add the Covenants. The Ventrue was Invictus, and the Mekhet was in the Ordo Dracul.
        It's fine, my point was more that i didn't get a feel of the convenants in their character or description. My first suggestion was Invictus and Carthians because those are usually the more secular/political/mundane of the covenants in pursuits/outlook (Invictus Oaths & Carthian Law notwithstanding).

Now that you cited, yeah, Ordo Dracul - or at least a group sharing many of the interests in geomancy, alchemy, places of power and arcane methods of physical-spiritual transformation/transcedence - does make loads of sense for a Tong, or any secret/esoteric society with buddhist/daoist underpinnings, like one may find by dozen in any Wulin/Murim/Wuxia-inspired media, in fact.

But i would suggest you take a look at their respective covenant books, for little bits that might have influence on them, in the past or present, or bits they might diverge/deviate from.

By the time WW2 was on the verge of starting, both realized they were the only ones left who still knew each other, who still respected each other, and who felt anything other than indifference to each other. When Japan invaded Shanghai, they left together for North America.
        Also, on a little historical footnote so to speak, i'd like to point out Shanghai's takeover by the japanese happened quite a few years before WWII proper.
        Last edited by Baaldam; 06-16-2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

The only unaligned we used in the past was a Gangrel ancient who became a prince who gained the respect of the Carthians and The Circle Of The Crone because he kept the Invictus & Lancea Sanctum out of there city.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

In our long-running game, the domain covered some 225 square miles. I figured there were probably 15% of the vampires living under the radar and unrecognized by the Prince, although her Hounds and Scourge were always on the lookout. Of the recognized Kindred, nearly a third are Unaligned. Until halfway through the chronicle, the apparent number was ½ or more because the Ordo were assumed to be Unaligned.
            I have to assume that most vampires have their own interests to attend to and don’t go looking for trouble all the time. This Prince took her job seriously, so a recognized vampire getting attacked would always be investigated and the cost would not just fall on the assailant but on the Covenant. So not only did Unaligned have basic protection of the Domain; Covenants found it useful to have Unaligned to subcontract questionable activities to.

Comment

Working...
            X