No announcement yet.

Erzsebet 2E (Sin Again: Daeva Preview)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erzsebet 2E (Sin Again: Daeva Preview)

Hello again!

I wasn't intended to post a preview so soon, but I had a little extra time today and wanted to post another new bloodline.

The Erzsébet are a really cool bloodline, hands down. They're also kind of the iconic Daeva bloodline, at least for that quasi-1.5 edition that existed between Requiem for Rome and Vampire Second Edition. They're also the glue that holds Kiss of the Succubus together, with one of their prominent members serving as its curator.

As with the Xiao, I'll have more commentary on the Erzsébet when it comes time to do dev diaries, but I will say that this bloodline had a lot of ink spilled over it between first and final drafts. This is one of my two bloodlines for the book (the other being the Duchagne, from Bloodlines: The Chosen), and I had a lot of trouble initially figuring out how to update the Cavaliers, to the point that I completely removed my initial gimmick for them. That, and preserving their aging curse while making it actually matter for game-to-game play was very important to me, and it took a lot of brainstorming to find (what I hope) is an interesting solution.

Erzsébet: The ones who want to be you

Back before I got the bite, I was a sugar baby for this rich-ass Serpent named Szyszka. Only Daeva I’d ever met who looked over 40. And then some.

Dude was lonely, and kinda alienated from all the sexy young Licks around town, you know? So I did my thing with him for a few years. Mostly, he just wanted someone to talk to about music, and sweet, innocent me was a good listener. Learned a lot about the industry, but hey, he got an earful about me in return.

Then one night, there’s a RE/MAX sign outside his pad. Place looks like it’s been gutted. I was a lot braver in my blood doll days, so I broke in — i.e., used the key to backdoor he snuck me through so the neighbors wouldn’t see. I searched every inch of the house, but all I found was a first pressing of
    Ziggy Stardust and a sticky note with my name on the cover.

Long story short, a couple nights ago, I’m meeting this smoke show producer from the First Estate. New in town, looking for connections. Seems kind of familiar, but we’re vibing and I’m working my angle, so I ignore it. Anyway, just as I’m about to make my pitch, he excuses himself: “Nice to meet you… Monica.” Pregnant pause and all.

And like, I don’t tell anyone that name — present company excluded. But I bet you guessed what was on that sticky note.

The Daeva are as close to mortals as vampires get, but one would be generous in calling them humane. At best, they’re sexy losers, parasitic corpses pretending at life and lusting after those who possess true vitality. At worst, they aren’t aware of that fact. Of course, most vampires would agree that mimicry is just best practices among predators. Yes, the kine are food, but the five great covenants would’ve died in their cradles if there were no value in distracting the Beast with human interests.

If a vampire could fake mortality long enough, say some Serpents, maybe she could find a new form. Not a mask to place over her cadaver, but a spark in the soul she lost in the Embrace.
    The Erzsébet believe they’re as close. Blessed with a state of Damnation that retains many of life’s pleasures, from fucking to fine dining, they’re well aware they’re still dead — but maybe just a little less than the others.

The Cavaliers first emerged in the late 17th century as upper-class Kindred began to drop the pretenses of nobility and take up the realities of private enterprise. Their founder, one Lady Syska, was a woman ahead of her time in “commercial acumen.” Her schemes, scams, and multiple choice identities are still celebrated among her childer, as is the vast fortune she left behind. Some say she loved money so much it turned her mortal in the daylight, just to appreciate the luster of gold against warm skin.

Like their founder, the Withered have never settled on a name. In America, where most of their membership resides tonight, they’re Moretti or Rózsa, but the alias they hold dearest is Erzsébet. Rumor had it Elizabeth Báthory was Lady Syska’s sire, a claim she made with a knowing wink when it suited her need, but others claim the bloodline found its philosophy in the countess’s awful deeds, taking her name in tribute. If a mere human can go that far to hold onto beauty and power, imagine what an immortal could do.

However, on that point, there’s a catch. Few things in this life (or the like) come without a price tag, and they’re upfront about that. If you want a taste of humanity, you have to give up some of what makes you inhuman. For the Erzsébet, that’s forsaking the stasis of death for the frailty of time’s arrow. As the years past, a Cavalier ages, and only through torpor can she regain lost youth, or else her body wastes into something even corpses call unholy. Other Daeva say they’re cursed, which the Cavaliers think is just about the stupidest thing you could say about a vampire. Of course they’re cursed; they’re Kindred. They’re cancer. But, there are so many expressions of cancer — melanomas and tumors and lesions. Why settle on one?

The Withered blend in with the kine to exploit them better, but their greed goes beyond capitalism, even if they appreciate its modes and means. Their revenue is novelty, and mortals are the instruments of labor. They enhance their half-lives with every human experience they can lay their fangs on, but whether that’s for euphoria or tragedy is a matter of personal taste. They are the patron of the arts who locks their portraits away so no one else can look upon them. She is the cuckquean who finds new, exquisite ruinations in each lover’s infidelity. He is the villain who savors the hero’s blade, only to return again to feel the steel of his foe’s descendants.

To be one of the Cavaliers is to know all these pleasures and identities. That they have an endpoint is just cause for rejoicing, a reason to squeeze every last drop out of the Requiem one can before the end. All the better if you can do it all over — not as a corpse ambling forth, but a Phoenix rising to burn the world anew.

Why you want to be us

What, you want to be corpse forever? Kindred are the uncanny valley stumbling about in an ill-fitting flesh suit. No, you’ll never really be mortal again, but that’s not the point. Why would you want to be alive when you could be better?

Why you should fear us

You call us incomplete, but we say it’s the other way around. Maybe you’re the mistake and we’re the correction. If so, we have a lot of work to do… and the money to do it.

Why we should fear ourselves

What if it’s just a slow decline toward death? Not many of us have gone far enough to find out, but time makes fools of us all. And if we’re not really immortal — if we haven’t erased the line between living and dead — then the reckoning will be a cruel one.

Parent Clan: Daeva

Nicknames: Cavaliers, the Withered, Moretti, Rózsa, Syska, and any number of other aliases

Bloodline Bane (The Moldering Curse): Erzsébet flesh wanes with the years. When one of the Withered falls to Humanity 6, she begins to age at about a quarter the rate of a human, and eventually she’ll degenerate past the appearance of the most decrepit mortal. Worse, when she lets the Beast override her façade of mortality, sometimes this aging intensifies. Once a chapter, [REDACTED]. Withered can revert their aging by spending an equal amount of time in torpor, but they can only return to their ages at the moment of Embrace.

Disciplines: Auspex, Celerity, Majesty, Vigor

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
    Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Pretty good Bloodline that is. Bane fits well for them and they have a good selection of Disciplines.

Comment

Always did like the Erszebet bane a lot, one of the ideas that just... stuck out in a subtle but fascinating way. Juxtaposes nicely against the themes and flavors of the Daeva without ever contradicting them, strongly controls the behavior of the members of the bloodline in the long term, quietly turns part of the fantasy of vampirism on its head. Glad to see it carried forward in y'all's capable hands, and by the sounds of it given some extra teeth for night-to-night impact.

I've got a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing my posts after the fact. Please try and bear with me...
      In case you're comfortable being more friendly and casual about things, my name's Estella, or Es/Essie for short. They/Them or She/Her, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Sconce View Post
        Always did like the Erszebet bane a lot, one of the ideas that just... stuck out in a subtle but fascinating way. Juxtaposes nicely against the themes and flavors of the Daeva without ever contradicting them, strongly controls the behavior of the members of the bloodline in the long term, quietly turns part of the fantasy of vampirism on its head. Glad to see it carried forward in y'all's capable hands, and by the sounds of it given some extra teeth for night-to-night impact.
        Yeah, making that aging matter in an immediate sense was the biggest issue of the update. I went through at least two other versions before I settled on the one I like (though one is going to be recycled for the Oberlochs in the Gangrel book; apparently I really like aging vampires).

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
        Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

Working...
        X