No announcement yet.

Blood and Smoke Bloodline Disciplines conversions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see Obtenebration that is more like it is supposed to be in Requiem, not tacking on old Obtenebration into new.

I wanna see it able to fight spirits before the fifth dot. People who do revisions of it seem to forget its purpose and default back to the Masquerade disciplines concept. That isn't what Obtenebration is about anymore. Its the Discipline of the Khaibit, vampires who fight ghosts and spirits. The first level grants them the capability to see said spirits, and the fifth dot lets them fight them. Everything else in between really has little to do with it except for using 2-3 to help make it dark enough to see the spirits.

I love the concept of using shadows to fight spirits, I just would like to see this reflected in the rules.

Comment

I totally agree with you, however when we where converting it we were more converting the rules themselves, without thinking what the discipline is supposed to do (allow fighting spirits). Probably a more proper conversion deserves to be made

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Oh yeah, I like yours as a direct conversion, works very well. But I think a lot of this thread was focused on going with the new "Paradigm", essentially the Monstrous out of the gate and building up.

Comment

It's probably better to separate out an entire new discipline to handle what old Obtenebration did (something with Umbra in it's name). That'd be the best of both worlds.

Onyx Path Moderator
          Mod Voice is RED*
          *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
          Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

I agree with PenDragon. It would be cool to have a proper Obtenebration that is relatively close to Lasombra Obtenebration and then an entire new spirit-fighting Discipline.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

I think PenDragon was saying that the Umbra-somthing would be Lasombra obtenebration while the Khaibit spirit slaying shadow discipline would be Obtenebration. I could be wrong on his meaning, but structurally the sentence means the opposite of what you interpreted Saibot.

Umbra meaning shadow and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Neferet View Post
                I think PenDragon was saying that the Umbra-somthing would be Lasombra obtenebration while the Khaibit spirit slaying shadow discipline would be Obtenebration. I could be wrong on his meaning, but structurally the sentence means the opposite of what you interpreted Saibot.

Umbra meaning shadow and all.
                Meh, in the end it's all just words. But I'd keep Obtenebration as the nWoD Khaibit Discipline, because that's already canon and would be confusing to change.

Onyx Path Moderator
                Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Ah yes, my apologies.

Although perhaps then it would be best to not re-use "Obtenebration" at all and simply use two new unique names, even if this means a small retcon for the Khaibit.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Or knock down two birds with one stone. Blood Tenebrous by extension could fight spirits, because using it you could see them and interact with them so fighting them is just a mindset. Make Obtenebration it's own thing run by some other Mekhet Bloodlineor call it a lost Discipline. Personally I've always felt there should be a few rare Disciplines out there that no Clan actually facility for but can nonetheless be used by all vampires.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Sandman (Neil Gaiman)

Comment

I've got a character playing an Assamite for an upcoming game, which prompted me to convert over Quietus to nWoD. The result was fairly different from the cWoD version, focused around the concept of entropy and silence instead of poisoning. Not being one to let good homebrew go unshared I figured I'd dump it here. I've included just the Discipline below, for character count reasons. The full Bloodline and several Devotions can be viewed in the full Google Doc.

Bloodline Discipline: Quietus

Note - All levels of Quietus carry the same weakness: any affected person or area exposed to sunlight is purged of all effects of the Quietus Discipline.
                      Apply the following modifiers to all levels of Quietus:
                      Area Affected | Modifiers
                      10 x 10 area | -1
                      20 x 20 area | -2
                      30 x 30 area | -3
                      40 x 40 area* | -4
                      *For every additional 10 yards to the radius add an additional -1 to the modifier

Silent Night •
                      Cost: None
                      Dice Pool: None
                      Action: Instant
                      Duration: Scene
                      The Assamite raises one finger to her lips and breaths a shushing sigh, as she does every other sound gradually dims until there is only silence. All noise within the room is snuffed out, even gunfire and explosions. Sound will not enter or exit the space, nor will the side effects of truly cacophonous events (eardrum ruptures, heavy vibrations, etc) occur. All Wits + Composure rolls to notice audible stimuli fail automatically, save for one exception: the Kindred Senses of the Assamite function normally, she still hears the heartbeats of all living creatures in her range.

Pitch Black ••
                      Cost: 1 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: None
                      Action: Permanent, Enhances Silent Night
                      Duration: Permanent, Enhances Silent Night
                      When she activates Silent Night, the Assamite may spend an additional point of Vitae to snuff light as well as sound. To outsiders the entire area appears to be within a deep shadow, completely impenetrable by normal vision. This doesn’t extinguish light sources, a fire will still emanate warmth and burn those who touch it, but it will not cast light. As with Silent Night an exception is made for Kindred Senses, the Assamite’s ability to see blood remains unstymied.

The Barren Hearth •••
                      Cost: 1 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: Manipulation + Subterfuge + Quietus
                      Duration: Scene
                      A wispy fog drifts from the Assamites lips, then from the ground around her, till it fills the entire chamber. This cold mist, entropy incarnate, devours both heat and energy leaving the chamber cold and lifeless.
                      Dramatic Failure: The Assamite succeeds only in draining herself. She becomes ice cold to the touch, numb, and takes a -2 penalty to all physical actions.
                      Failure: A thin mist gathers, but it carries nothing more than a slight chill.
                      Success: Energy drains from the space, electronics fail, fires pitter out. Physical actions requiring high energy (such as punching and gunfire) take a -[Successes] penalty, the Assamite is immune, but everyone else is affected. What’s more the fog numbs and freezes everything it touches, those within fail all rolls to perceive touch based stimuli.
                      Exceptional Success: The temperature plunges to sub-zero levels. All living creatures within must roll Stamina + Athletics to resist hypothermia. However, as a small benefit even blood will freeze, so morals no longer risk death from bleeding.

Last Breath ••••
                      Cost: 2 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: Manipulation + Larceny + Quietus
                      Duration: Successes Minutes
                      The Assamite purses her lips and sucks in, devouring all the air in the room.
                      Dramatic Failure: The Assamite loses her own breath, though she is left unable to speak for the rest of the scene.
                      Failure: While the air may grow thin, it remains breathable.
                      Success: Over the next several turns all air drains from the room (use the area penalty as the number of turns it takes to evacuate the space), after that point all living animals must begin rolling [Stamina + Athletics] to resist suffocation. Additionally, it becomes impossible to sense anything by scent, though again the Assamite’s Kindred Senses remain an exception.
                      Exceptional Success: Air leaves the room instantly, people and animals must begin to roll against suffocation immediately.

Out of Time •••••
                      Cost: 3 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: Manipulation + Subterfuge + Quietus (Supernatural beings may contest with [Resolve + Supernatural Advantage])
                      Duration: [Successes] Minutes
                      In her the ultimate act of entropy the Assamite breaths in deep and smothers time itself. Colors dull, wind ceases, and the chamber slows to a halt with people and objects locked mid-motion.
                      Dramatic Failure: The discipline backfires, the Assamite herself is frozen in place till sunrise.
                      Failure: The Assamite gulps the air, and colors may briefly dim, but time endures.
                      Success: For one minute per success on the activation roll time within the area ceases. All people, animals, and objects are locked in a state of perfect stasis. Things in stasis are invulnerable, immune to both magic and harm for the duration. The Assamite is exempted from this freezing and may move freely. She can release others as well with a simple touch. Objects unfreeze instantly, people and animals unfreeze along with anything they are touching.
                      Mortals have no resistance, but supernatural beings may attempt to contest the power. In which case they reflexively roll Resolve + Supernatural Advantage and subtract the successes from the Assamite’s activation roll. This reduces the stasis time for that character, and that character alone. All supernatural entities must roll separately.
                      Exceptional Success: Nothing beyond a greatly protracted stasis period.
                      Last edited by PenDragon; 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM.

Onyx Path Moderator
                      Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

I like that a lot, though I'm not sure where I'd incorporate Assamites proper into a Requiem game. I'm thinking back to the idea of a free floating discipline...

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                          I like that a lot, though I'm not sure where I'd incorporate Assamites proper into a Requiem game. I'm thinking back to the idea of a free floating discipline...
                          It's for a crossover with Mummy. The Assamites are a bloodline of assassins founded by and still connected to Hassan Bin Sabbah. Who in this game is/was a Mummy. After his descent and the fall of Hassan's order, his cultists sought immortal bodies so they could scatter and wait out his return.

Onyx Path Moderator
                          Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Nice! I'm gonna hazard a guess they're Mekhet?

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                              Nice! I'm gonna hazard a guess they're Mekhet?
                              Bingo. Check the doc for their source Clan, bloodline weakness, and four additional Devotions to round out the discipline (An elder devotion, an 'alternative' 5th dot devotion, and two dual discipline devotions to pair with Celerity and Obfuscate)

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Apologies for making you repost that, I should've seen it in the first post.

This is an interesting one, has anyone thought about converting the Norvegi and Bloodworking to fit the new way Disciplines work?

Comment

Working...
                                X