No announcement yet.

Blood and Smoke Bloodline Disciplines conversions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the odd things I've done with the Masquerade Disciplines in the Conversion Guide is attach a blood potency requirement to them, making them the domain of elders due to their generally higher power-level.

Just seemed a simple fix for my games though, since it meant I didn't have to put work into converting them.

Comment

I just had a little epiphany as to why Manipulation is a cool choice for the Bloodworking stuff. It's coercing the Beast into controlling the Blood like so. I don't know if that sentiment was also a part of your choice Pen Dragon, but it makes a bit of sense.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        I just had a little epiphany as to why Manipulation is a cool choice for the Bloodworking stuff. It's coercing the Beast into controlling the Blood like so. I don't know if that sentiment was also a part of your choice Pen Dragon, but it makes a bit of sense.
        Sure, lets go with that. You read my mind.

Onyx Path Moderator
        Mod Voice is RED*
        *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
        Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

only had a crack at the first power so far but

Obtenebration

1st Dot- Tenebrous Vision

The Khabit in their ancient role of watchers in the darkness can see things that even kindred have cause to dread and fear. Ordinarily these phantasmal visions lurk on the periphery of a Khabit's perceptions but with effort can become focused and clear. By use of this power do they identify the invisible powers they were created to battle, and sometimes do the Khabits ancient enemies recognise them in turn.

Cost: None or 1 Vitae

Dice Pool: Wits + Occult + Obtenebration

System: The character can see perfectly in complete darkness and never suffers penalties for acting in complete darkness or due to a lack of light source. As long as there is some shadow within the character's vicinity the character may reflexively roll the dice pool for this power to detect the presence of ephemeral entities, the use of any Influence or Numina used by such creatures, or if a location is affected by a Condition associated with an ephemeral entity. If successful the character receives the information as described through narrative terms and witnessed through menacing shadowy visions.

By spending 1 Vitae the Khabit's eyes fill with an inky blackness that allows them to see any unmanifested ephemeral beings in their true forms as if they were corporeal for the rest of the scene, ephemeral entities possessing bodies may also be seen this way in a disturbing double vision overlayed one over another. Whilst seeing through these shadowed orbs it may be possible for certain beings to identify the Khabit as a threat to their inscrutable plans and begin to act accordingly, this should be handled at storyteller discretion and used for dramatic and thematic purposes to create conflict and story not to punish the player.

Comment

So an update for Vicissitude: I've rewritten some of the fluff and cut out a number of extraneous features, removed the appendices and added in some Devotions. I'm currently in the process of figuring out the mechanics for the fifth dot, but definitely want to know how people think it's looking now.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
              I always felt Blood Tenebrous worked much better as a Coil, being all trangressive and transcendent. Up till now the Coil system didn't really support it, but no more!

In fact, I already wrote it. I wrote it even before I'd finished the three main coils. Much of the Coil design process was honed through adapting Blood Tenebrous. Since it's unlikely to get reprinted there's really no harm in sharing...though the Coil still needs a better name (If anyone has a proposal I'm all ears). Anyway, here for all to peruse, the tentatively named Coil of Divinity.
              Love this stuff. I may use it in a game I run. Quick question, though. Can you use The Third Eye to notice spiritual possession, or just spirits floating around in Twilight?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Deranged Goblin View Post
                Love this stuff. I may use it in a game I run. Quick question, though. Can you use The Third Eye to notice spiritual possession, or just spirits floating around in Twilight?

Thanks in advance.
                Just tweaked the first dot to mesh better with the kindred template. Spirit sensing is now a factor of Kindred Senses, and thus based on Blood Potency. Spirits that have claimed hosts or been instilled into fetishes cannot be seen or heard, but can be smelled and their host sniffed out.

Onyx Path Moderator
                Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

My personal notes on how Obtenebration, as what I envisioned from Khaibit fluff, works out turns it into a blood sorcery discipline with rituals similar to the Abyssal magic from VtM Dark Ages, among others. The powers I would want tend to work better as less direct and immediate than most basic disciplines. I don't mind sacrificing immediate effects and require a little planning.

In this case, I would put this new shadow sorcery somewhere in between Cruac and Theban, mainly because it would have motifs of both. I see it as powered by a source similar to the Strix or wherever they came from. The sorcery would be corrupting, but deliberate. The power would truly despise vampires even more than the source of Cruac. Sorcerers would have to "steal" the power for their rituals by force of their will and learning rituals would require lengthy meditation. In other words, the rituals would use humanity caps from Cruac and willpower and sacrifices of Theban. The "source" would desire nothing less than to consume these blood sorcerers whole. In this way, the sacrifices would serve as a conduit for the destructive backlash of taking power from this "source."

I would give a nod to the old black magic by giving the sorcerers an interesting quirk. As part of their devil's bargain, when they would normally turn into draugr, they instead get "swallowed up" by the "source." The only thing left behind is a bit of the beast, yellow eyes wrapped in shadows. That would be the third motif by the way, shadow/darkness. I view the "source" as darkness incarnate. As the Atlantean mages viewed darkness as a force itself not just an absence of light, the "source" is one such force.

I haven't decided if I would prefer an alternative to using an object as a sacrifice or not. I'm leaning towards making the sorcery powerless in sunlight any more direct than during a cloudy day, alterations would revert, control would be lifted, no targeting anything basking in the light of the sun, protections fade and creations disappear. In addition, all the rituals would have to be cast in darkness or low light conditions to further limit the discipline.

The darkness motif would color all the rituals with a basis in shadow and cold, ravenous hunger. Divination would work using the knowledge of shadows, limiting it to past and present, but the shadows could watch the sorcerer's back to impart some of the same bonuses as future sight. Raw destructive forces would feel cold and draining while they crushed and ripped apart a target, taking away bits and pieces as if they were disintegrated. The sorcerer's shadow would appear next to a target's shadow and "force" it to do the sorcerer's will. Anything that has it's shape changed would retain it's original shadow. Anything created would lack a shadow completely as it would be made of shadow. Some things might appear black and ephemeral while others might appear to be literally dark shadows. In the latter case, all light would be absorbed giving the appearance of the blackness of space without the stars. This would be a possible look for creatures. They would have no depth or, perhaps, it would be better to say they have infinite depth. They would seem to be only 2 dimensional like a normal shadow but not attached to or "on" anything, but the 2-D image would change as the viewer's perspective changed to show that they really aren't "flat." The exception would be their eyes and teeth. I imagine something like "God" from Fullmetal Alchemist.

I'm having a little trouble with whether or not to create a new Shadow Theme. The five basic themes do a pretty good job of covering almost all the powers I would want to impart either singly or in combination.

I think sorcery should be able to mimic all the powers from both canon versions of Obtenebration. Additional powers I would want to include beyond what the 5 basic Themes provide would be Mage spells from the Arcana of Death (allowing for interaction with ghosts and shadow spells), Space (Pocket Realm, Safe Keeping, Teleportation, and Oubliette) and possibly some Spirit or even Prime. I'm not interested in vampire Ghostbusters or Spirit Police. I do want a discipline that allows for a fairly broad ability to interact on a basic level with the ephemeral. I would keep a prohibition on plane-hopping to the Underworld and Shadow. Technically, seeing ghosts and spirits would not be allowed with blood sorcery so that might need to be a Devotion, but I could live with that.

Those are some of my thoughts on the subject, but I'm pretty well stuck there until I can get a good long look at Blood & Smoke. I need to know more about the Strix mechanics before I can decide on Anti-Strix powers.

Comment

A conversation with Epimetheus yesterday inspired me to convert Chimerstry over from cWoD. So here it is, complete with a Ravnos Bloodline and a few Devotions.

Forum version for those who don't like Gdocs:
                    Ravnos

Clan: Daeva

Bloodline Disciplines:Chimerstry, Majesty, Nightmare, Obfuscate

Bloodline Bane: Glass Phantoms

The body of a Ravnos is as fragile as her signature discipline, she cannot tolerate the same degree of punishment as other Kindred. Ravnos do not downgrade lethal damage to bashing. A Ravnos with Resilience can downgrade up to her Resilience dots in lethal each turn, but cannot downgrade Aggravated damage.

Bloodline Discipline: Chimerstry
                    Note: Illusions created by Chimerstry are true mirages, not psychic attacks. They will confound cameras and even the most mentally resolute, but do not carry any inherent mental qualities. So while an illusion may be described as ‘terrifying’ it possesses no supernatural compulsion towards fear.

Ignis Fatuus •
                    Cost: None
                    Dice Pool: None
                    Action: Instant
                    Duration: Scene

The Ravnos can conjure mirages, illusions that confound the senses and appear real. At this level the illusions are limited, they can be no larger than her Blood Potency in size, and affect only a single sense. Illusions may be given slight animation, water could appear to flow or a computer screen to flicker, but will not react to interaction. If the creator is close by she can puppet her illusions, giving them a greater semblance of reality, but upon close physical inspection they are revealed as falsehoods.

Fata Morgana ••
                    Cost: 1 Vitae
                    Dice Pool: Wits + Subterfuge + Chimerstry
                    Action: None, Improves Ignis Fatuus

Fata Morgana improves the illusions created through Ignis Fatuus. By spending one point of vitae the Ravnos increases the potential size up to [Blood Potency + 5] and allows illusions to affect all five senses, though at this level they are not real enough to cause extreme pain. Simple interaction is not guaranteed to penetrate these illusions, instead investigators roll Wits + Investigation, penalized by the Ravnos’s activation successes, to determine the illusion false. While near a Ravnos can puppet illusions convincingly enough to make illusory people or interactive machines.

Apparition •••
                    Dice Pool: None, Improves Ignis Fatuus
                    Duration: Blood Potency + Chimerstry Days

The Ravnos can now create illusions that endure in her absence. By spending a point of Vitae while using Ignis Fatuus she improves the discipline in the following ways:
                    • Illusions gain a duration of [Blood Potency + Chimerstry] days, though she may specify a shorter period if she likes.
                    • Illusions may be programmed to react and respond in certain ways. This takes time, a few seconds per direction. The Ravnos’s player should describe in a few sentences how she wants the illusion to act and react. Illusions are unintelligent, so while this can be enough to create convincingly interactive machines, compelling human illusions remain beyond the Chimerstry’s ability.
                    • Illusions may be given triggers that cause them to emerge or fade. As with programming this can be as simple or complex as desired, anywhere from “someone opens this door” to “a black man stands in this spot for exactly seven minutes on a Wednesday”. As illusions are unintelligent subjective or non-obvious triggers will fail. So “An untrustworthy enemy enters” would be right out, and “Someone named bob passes by” would only trigger if Bob’s name were spoken aloud as he passed.
                    Dreamscape ••••
                    Cost: 1 Vitae, 1 Willpower

Growing in power the Ravnos dramatically increases the size and scope of her illusions. By spending a point of Vitae and a Willpower while activating Ignis Fatuus she may increases the size and complexity of the illusion ten fold. It can encompass a space of up to [Blood Potency * 10] yards (or [Blood Potency + 5]*10 when using Fata Morgana). Within that space the Ravnos can craft many illusions simultaneously, in conjunction with Fata Morgana and Apparition she could create an entire ballroom, complete with guests (albeit slightly robotic ones), music, and apparently edible food.

Gossamer Reality ••••
                    Cost: 2 Vitae, 1 Willpower

At the height of Chimerstry’s power the Ravnos blurs the line between real and unreal, creating glamours that fool reality itself. By spending two Vitae and a point of willpower while creating an illusion the Ravnos invests it with physicality, it is for all intensive purposes exactly what it mimics. This has it’s limits:
                    • Direct attacks roll [Wits + Subterfuge], resisted by Composure, with no weapon bonus regardless of their apparent magnitude. All attacks deal only bashing damage.
                    • Objects can be no more durable than her Blood Potency. Living Illusions have at most [Blood Potency] health, and use the Ravnos's Wits for all rolls, or Wits + [Appropriate Skill] if actively directed.
                    • Illusions are still restricted in size, even with Fata Morgana an explosive will destroy no more than a few yards of space.
                    • Illusions possess none of the supernatural properties of the things they mimic, an illusory fire will not deal aggravated damage to vampires (just bashing), nor will illusory iron cleave the defenses of a changeling.

Devotions

Horrid Reality (Chimerstry 4, Nightmare 4)
                    Cost: 3 Vitae
                    Dice Pool: Wits + Subterfuge + Chimerstry vs Resolve + Blood Potency

The Ravnos plunges her victim into a world of total illusion. She takes total control over all his senses and may dictate freely what he sees and experiences. As with all Nightmare powers this experience cannot be a pleasurable one, no matter how the Ravnos presents it the world the victim sees with bear an eerie tint. Normally this requires the Ravnos touch her victim on either the head or neck, but if the Ravnos has Dread Presence active she may target anyone with whom she makes eye-contact. This lasts until the scene ends, the Ravnos is incapacitated, or the victim escapes the her presence.
                    This Devotion Costs 4 Experiences to Learn

Will-o’-the-wisp (Chimerstry 1, Majesty 1)

The Ravnos instills her illusions with the allure of majesty, drawing all eyes upon them. Anyone who sees an illusion created by this power is entranced and subtracts the Ravnos’s Majesty dots from all Wits + Composure rolls to notice anything else.
                    This Devotion Costs 1 Experience to Learn

Fantasia (Chimerstry 5, Obfuscate 5)
                    Cost: None, Improves Oubliette

Merging her powers of illusion the Ravnos creates a kingdom of absolute fantasy. She may use Chimerstry powers freely within her Oubliette, just as she can the powers of Obfuscate. More importantly all illusions, from both Chimerstry and Obfuscate, are treated as though enhanced through Gossamer Reality (at no extra cost). In this way the Ravnos claims absolute control over her dominion, able to freely create and alter whole structures of glamour.
                    This Devotion Costs 6 Experiences to Learn

Onyx Path Moderator
                    Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Damn, I'm gonna copy that for my Masquiem games. Thanks, PenDragon! This is inspiring me to finally do to the classic clan disciplines what I did to the weaknesses...

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                      Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
                      Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

I might steal that for Lost. Illusion powers are one of the big missing spots.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Would you attempt doing Voudoun in the similar way how you did the other blood sorceries?

My Bloodline conversions
                          My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
                            Would you attempt doing Voudoun in the similar way how you did the other blood sorceries?
                            Book and page number?

Onyx Path Moderator
                            Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Ancient Bloodlines, page 73

My Bloodline conversions
                              My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                                Damn, I'm gonna copy that for my Masquiem games. Thanks, PenDragon! This is inspiring me to finally do to the classic clan disciplines what I did to the weaknesses...
                                If you'd like help on that, I've been working on a version of Dementation modeled after the Masquerade version that revolves around the new Lash Out mechanics. I'll post it once I've done some finishing touches.

EDIT: Here it is, as it stands now. Pretty happy with it overall, but I wonder if the costs might need a little work.
                                Dementation

Passion •
                                Cost: None against mortals, 1 Willpower against other Vampires
                                Dice Pool: Manipulation + Empathy + Dementation vs. Power Attribute + Blood Potency
                                Duration:

The vampire speaks to the victim, and her words incite a blind passion in the listener. In effect, this constitutes a Predatory Aura contest. However, rather than lashing out against her victim, this power causes the victim’s own beast to Lash Out against itself. She must Fight, rolling an appropriate Power Attribute + Blood Potency depending on the beast she fights back with, contested by the vampire’s Manipulation + Empathy + Dementation roll. Fighting does not cost Willpower, since the victim cannot have higher Blood Potency than herself.

Roll Results:
                                Dramatic Failure: Rather than heightening the victim’s emotions, the power deadens them. For the remainder of the scene, the victim is immune to Predatory Aura contests (including future uses of Passion) and gains a bonus to resist Frenzy equal to the number of successes she scored on her resistance roll.
                                Failure: The victim remains calm.
                                Success: The victim gains the Condition associated with her own Beast.
                                Exceptional Success: If the vampire wins the contested roll with an exceptional success, she causes the victim’s emotions to intensify beyond mere passion. Rather than gaining a Condition, the victim is forced into Frenzy. The type of Frenzy is dependent on the Beast she fought with: the Monstrous Beast causes fear frenzy, the Seductive Beast causes hunger frenzy, and the Challenging Beast causes anger frenzy.

Mortals and other creatures not subject to frenzy that fall victim to this power on an exceptional success instead fall into a frenzy-like state. The mechanical effects are the same, but the nature of the “frenzy” can be modified appropriately for the victim. Obviously, humans don’t develop a taste for blood when affected by hunger frenzy, and will instead seek to sate their hunger with whatever food they can get their hands on. If the victim has a power stat, they can substitute it for Blood Potency to determine their frenzy bonus.

The Haunting ••
                                Dice Pool: None; enhances Passion
                                Action: None; enhances Passion

With this level of Dementation, the vampire gains a certain degree of control over the emotions she instills in the target. She may spend a point of Vitae when activating Passion to make the target Lash Out against herself with the The Demented Beast. This represents the Beast-As-Tormentor. It needs to spread confusion and disarray. It inspires madness and fear. It evokes hallucinations, and causes the Haunted Condition. If the vampire wins the contested roll for Passion with an exceptional success, rather than entering Frenzy, the victim gains the Madness Condition.

Condition: Haunted
                                Your character suffers from hallucinations, the likes of which the Malkavians are constantly subject to. These visions are but fleeting glimpses on the edge of perception, but they are nonetheless unsettling. She suffers a -2 penalty to Initiative and to all perception-based rolls due to their distracting influence. Any rolls to manipulate your character’s emotional state achieve exceptional success with three successes instead of five. This includes discipline rolls such as Dementation and some uses of Majesty, as well as mundane social rolls.
                                Possible Sources: A demented predatory aura conflict
                                Resolution:

··· Eyes of Chaos
                                Dice Pool: Wits + Occult + Dementation
                                Action: Reflexive; enhances Passion

This level of Dementation allows the vampire to share in the emotional turmoil she inflicts on her victims and draw insight from the way they experience the madness. After successfully inflicting a Condition on a victim with Passion, the vampire can chose to gain the same Condition and make a reflexive Wits + Occult + Dementation roll. For each success on the roll, she may ask the storyteller one of the following questions about the victim, which she must answer truthfully.
                                • What is this person’s Virtue (or splat equivalent)?
                                • What is one of this person’s Conditions?
                                • What does this person like about herself?
                                • What does this person hate about herself?
                                • What does this person fear about herself?
                                ···· Voice of Madness
                                Dice Pool: None; enhances Passion
                                Action: None; enhances Passion

When activating Passion, the vampire can spend a point of Vitae to have its effects carry to all who can hear her voice. She still only makes a single roll, but everyone who hears her speak must roll to resist individually.

Drawback: “Everyone who can hear her speak” includes the vampire using this power. And while other would-be victims might take precautions against this power, such as wearing earplugs, the vampire has no such luxury. Even if she completely deafens herself, she cannot drown out her own thoughts, and always “hears” the Voice of Madness in her head when activating it.

····· Total Insanity
                                Dice Pool: None; enhances The Haunting
                                Action: None; enhances The Haunting

At the height of mastery of Dementation, the vampire gains the ability to draw out all three aspects of the Beast in a victim simultaneously. The vampire need only roll once when she activates Passion, and spend a point of Vitae. Meanwhile the victim must make three rolls (or four if The Haunting was also used) - one for each aspect of the Beast. She compares the result of each roll to the vampire’s successes on the activation roll. Each roll that scores fewer successes inflicts the Condition associated with that Beast on the victim. Obviously a victim cannot enter multiple types of frenzies simultaneously, so if the activation roll is an exceptional success, the vampire can choose one type of frenzy to inflict, and the rest cause Conditions as usual.

Devotions

Pattern Reading (Auspex 3, Dementation 3)
                                Dice Pool: Wits + Occult

Drawing on the perceptive powers of Auspex and the insane insights of Dementation, the vampire can analyze the patterns in seemingly random occurrences and gain maddening realizations about the nature of the universe. For each success on the activation roll, the user may ask the storyteller one yes/no question about her character’s unlife, her surroundings, a task at hand, or the world at large. The storyteller must answer these questions truthfully. This knowledge is not without a cost, however. Each time the vampire uses this power, she gains either the Madness, Shaken, or Spooked Condition, and cannot use this power again until the condition is resolved.
                                This Devotion Costs 3 Experiences to Learn

Last edited by Charlaquin; 12-06-2013, 04:21 AM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                                X