Blood and Smoke Bloodline Disciplines conversions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

A greater range of Loa is the intent, in theory my system could be expanded to every single Loa, including the ones that are a part of a different one, just list it's Influences and it's Passion.

That said I was thinking that I'd only include three examples. Definitely, Baron Samedi (his personality fits right in with Sin-Eaters), Kalfou (because while I am supporting Voodon's PCs, it is the Sin-Eater book and antagonists need some left handed tricks) and probably Loco with Vegetation and Medicine (to be a positive counter-balance to Kalfou).

Do you think Baron Samedi should be just Undeath & Ghosts or should I throw in Healing and Hexbreaking as well?

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I keep forgeting to comment that I don't like the converted Cechexy discipline mentioned in the OP (and I forgot to mention it further back when this discipline was first posted in the White Wolf forums). The dot 1 power feels like its an extension of the Morbus curse, not a power under the user's control. The fact that the Morbus can only drink diseased blood should be enough, as it often requires the vampire to spread disease to ensure a food supply. That was the trap used back in Requiem for Rome. The bloodline founder always allowed anyone to join the bloodline because he knew that no one could turn away from the "Divine Duty" of the bloodline once they joined, otherwise they would likely starve.

My gaming philosophy is that a character should have control over all their powers (unless the plot requires an exception). Simply put, I don't like the mentioned power and I've metagamed a way around it. You don't buy dots in Cachexy, so you don't have the dot 1 power, so you don't involuntarily spread disease. Though it would be hard to voluntarily to spread disease without it. Of course, once you are thinking that way, then the discipline is not going to be learned so why bother having it on the table? You really ought to encourage people to want to pick stuff up because its awesome and worth the price, not avoided because it has flaws (like involuntary effects).

Comment

Mmmm, ok.

Well, first, the effects of the first dot aren't replicable by any disease so it can't be an "extension of the Morbus Curse", is a power unto itself. I could see merit in changing it so it has to be actively used instead of being always-on, though. I'll edit that, thanks for the input.

Second, tied to that, the Morbus Curse can't keep being the same as pre-B&S because the way Clan (and Bloodline) Banes work. "Can only drink diseased blood" is not tied to Humanity in any way, it has to be reworked. Something like "Blood of the Unwilling" but with non-diseased blood? The problem is that a Clan or Bloodline shouldn't have an in-built way of avoiding the Bane. If the Morbus can Infect anyone, and remeber that it cost nothing to use, then what's the point?
        Until I came up with something better I'm using the "King of Rats" Bane for the Morbus. Wondering if switching some of the In-Clan Disciplines for Animalism, too (maybe Obfuscate).

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

What's King of Rats exactly?

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

The vampire is constantly surrounded by rats, flies, cockroaches or similar vermin, wich usually makes any social interaction to outright fail. They can be made to go away for (Humanity) turns at the cost of a Willpower point. Sounded about right for plague dogs like the Morbus.

Comment

Looking back on it, I'm concerned that Cachexy seems too virulent. As in, if anybody hears there's a Morbus in town, a Blood Hunt is going down. Which works in some senses but feels a bit limiting, since there's no scale of dangerous. It's just that if one is present, you need to make sure it greets the day.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Well... yes? That was always the case. Morbus have a hard, hard time. Note that following Divinewrath advice I made it so the Infection is not automatic, a Morbus can decide not to infect someone. And if the Weakness changes there's no pressing need for them to go on an Infection spree.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                  Well... yes? That was always the case. Morbus have a hard, hard time. Note that following Divinewrath advice I made it so the Infection is not automatic, a Morbus can decide not to infect someone. And if the Weakness changes there's no pressing need for them to go on an Infection spree.
                  Oh, my bad, I didn't see that it had been made something where they can decide not to infect somebody.

What if the need to feed from diseased vessels is also a part of their weakness? But not the entirety of it.

Comment

Well, I have long ruled that the Morbus needed to feed upon the sick & dying, with emphasis on the dying part. I don't want them running around feeding on those with the common cold. I emphasize that a Morbus must feed on those who suffer from some disease that will ultimately lead to their deaths (without medical aid, or supernatural intervention). Whenever the Morbus feeds, it must be aware that they are feeding on someone who will likely die unless something is done, and when they spread disease, they must do so in such a way that could lead to the death of people.

In fact, disease by bacterial or viral infection (I rule) were never was a prerequisite for a Morbus feeding. Just far easier to recognize and spread. The blood requires the taint of potential death, and the taint of suffering for it for it to feed a Morbus. The kinds of diseases that the Morbus are adept in (I rule) are the sweetest kinds of blood that would feed a Morbus, not the only kinds. Kidney failure or liver failure for instance might feed the Morbus.

The only escape is to drink the blood of other vampires or starve. If those are not good choices for them, then they must take means to find the sick & dying... or make some.

----

@ Leetsepeak

The Morbus bloodline weakness (in Requiem 1.0) is that they need to feed on the sick. They can't gain sustenance from animal or human blood unless it was from someone sick. According to the lore, they ravaged Rome back in the day. That worked well for them since that coincidentally they believed that suffering tests faith which their diseases were adept at providing.

@ Thorbes

Whats this about banes and weaknesses needing to interact with humanity? Was it one of the guidelines that the devs are using when making B&S? Where did you get the idea?

Comment

• Slow weekend means more writing. This time it's Obtenebration, renamed Umbra to differentiate it from the Khaibit's deal (whatever that turns out to be). As with other revisions this assumes the use of GMC rules and the B&S discipline previews.

Check it out.

Forum version for those who hate Gdocs:
                      Lasombra
                      Clan: Ventrue

Bloodline Disciplines: Animalism, Dominate, Umbra, Vigor

Bloodline Bane: Hollow Visage

All Lasombra cast no reflection, and do not appear in recorded video or pictures. This extends even to cloths they are wearing and small held objects (so a camera wouldn’t record an image of a floating cell phone). Just what constitutes ‘small held objects’ is up to the storyteller to decide, but as a rule of thumb any item a person may normally fit in their pocket will be obscured.
                      Bloodline Discipline: Umbra

Umbra is highly dependent on the lighting of an area for it’s effects. As a general rule, darker areas means stronger shadows. However, in absolute darkness there is no shadow, thus Umbra cannot function in areas totally devoid of light.
                      Shadow Intensity
                      Umbra Modifier
                      Near Total Darkness
                      +5
                      Starry Night
                      +4
                      Dimly lit room
                      +3
                      Dawn or Dusk
                      +2
                      Overcast Day
                      +1
                      Shadow Play •

Cost: None
                      Dice Pool: None
                      Action: Instant
                      Duration: Scene
                      Lasombra are masters of light and shadow, with a simple gesture they may bend such things to their command. A Lasombra may shape shadows however he pleases, any shadow currently connected to his own may be reflexively reformed to appear however he likes. Of course there are limits to this power, a shadow cannot be bent to obscure light, nor can it be given color. Shadows remain locked in their new shape until the Lasombra reshapes them leaves the area or the scene ends.

Umbral Fingers ••

Cost: 1 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: None, See Text
                      Action: None, Enhances Shadow Play
                      Shadows mimic the material, so too should the material mimic the shadows. By spending a point of Vitae a Lasombra use shadows to interact with the material world. He could, for instance, open a door by turning the shadow of it’s handle or choke a man with an umbral hand lash. The strength of these shadows is not great, on any contested actions the Lasombra rolls only [Umbra + Shadow Intensity], in place of whatever attribute and skill combination might normally apply.

Shadow Stuffs •••

The Lasombra dips two fingers into the shadow, and pulls it into the real. By spending a Vitae a Lasombra can create physical objects made entirely of shadow. These can range anywhere from size 1 to 10, though complex objects (like guns and cars) will not actually function. Physically shadow objects often appear warped and distorted, as a shadow too long or narrow. Object’s durability is derived from Shadow Intensity (see above), Armor made of shadows confers [Shadow Intensity]/[Shadow Intensity-2] soak, while weapons have a damage bonus of [Shadow Intensity -2].

Night Stalker ••••

Cost: 2 Vitae
                      Duration: One Night
                      The Lasombra shapes darkness into the form of a beast, and spills his Vitae upon it. A twisted black monstrosity rises, ready to do the vampire’s bidding. The shadow beast is treated as a materialized spirit, though without any rank or powers. When created the Lasombra distributes [Blood Potency + Umbra + Shadow Intensity] dots among its Power, Finesse and Resistance attributes (All start at 1 for free). Shades default to size [Blood Potency], but a Lasombra may opt to make smaller shadows. A Shade has no armor or weapon bonus, unless deliberately bestowed via Shadow Stuffs during it’s creation.
                      A Lasombra may opt to spend additional Vitae while creating a Shade, with each extra Vitae adding one additional dot of attribute and one to the shade’s size. Shades have a rudimentary intelligence, and follow their creator’s orders absolutely. They cannot be persuaded, but a competing Lasombra may attempt to use Shadow Play to manipulate the shade directly. In this case the two powers enter a Clash of Wills.

Umbral Mantle •••••

Cost: 3 Vitae
                      Duration: One Night
                      The Lasombra’s body blackens and he recedes into the shadows, becoming a literal shadow. In this state he retains all his mental facilities, but loses his physical attributes, cannot hear, make noise, or use any disciplines other than Umbra (and Umbra Devotions). He cannot leave the shadows, but may use Shadow Play to shape his appearance or create shadow writing, and Umbral Fingers to interact with the physical world.
                      Even though the Lasombra cannot touch others in this form, he may still feed using Umbral Fingers. Minions created via Night Stalker can also be given fangs with which to consume blood, then reassimilated into the shadows. This form is functionally invulnerable, only light strong, enough to wipe away all shadows, will harm him. Sunlight is particularly dangerous, treat the Lasombra’s Blood Potency as five dots higher (Max 10) when determining how quickly he takes damage in shadow form.
                      Devotions

Plunged into Darkness (Umbra 5)

Cost: 3 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: Wits + Umbra + Shadow Intensity vs Strength + Blood Potency
                      Duration: Indefinite
                      Seizing at the shadows beneath his victim’s fee the Lasombra drags her into darkness. The victim of this power becomes a living shadow as per Umbral Mantle, she may move freely, but without the power of Umbra cannot interact with the physical world. The Lasombra, on the other hand, can use Umbra to manipulate his victim’s form, deliver attacks (via Umbral Fingers), and even summon her from the dark as a Shade (via Night Stalker). In all cases the victim resists by rolling Resolve + Blood Potency vs the Lasombra’s Umbra + Blood Potency.
                      The curse lasts until the victim is touched by the rays of the sun, even the slightest ray is enough to free her.
                      This Devotion Costs 3 Experiences to Learn.

Shadow of the Beast (Umbra 4, Animalism 2)

Cost: None, Enhances Raise the Familiar
                      Fusing his powers of animation the Lasombra creates a more potent form of shade. He selects a shade made through Night Stalker, and christened it with Blood. Doing so elevates the shadow, turning it into a familiar, as per Raise the Familiar (Animalism 2) with all related benefits and a few extra:
                      • The Shade now endures for Blood Potency Weeks, instead of a single night.
                      • The Lasombra may reform the familiar at will, altering its shape, reallocating attribute dots, and adjusting natural armament. He may do so at any distance.
                      This Devotion Costs 3 Experiences to Learn

Night Snare (Umbra 2, Dominate 3)

Dice Pool: None, Enhances Shadow Play
                      Action: None, Enhances Shadow play
                      Duration: [Blood Potency] Nights
                      Bleeding a single drop of Vitae at his feet the Lasombra sets and insidious trap. He encodes a shadow with instructions, which lay in wait until triggered. This functions much like Entombed Command (Dominate 3), allowing the Lasombra to set conditions under which the shadow manifests, and instructions it will follow. Combined with Shadow Stuffs or Nightstalker this can be used to create shadow traps, monstrous guards and anything else the Lasombra can imagine. This does have it’s limits, the shadows are unintelligent, thus subjective instructions (An enemy is near, I am in danger, etc) will not trigger.
                      This Devotion Costs 2 Experiences to Learn

Deepen Darkness (Umbra 2, Vigor 1)

Dice Pool: None, Enhances Shadow Play
                      Action: None, Enhances Shadow play
                      Calling on the might of Vigor the Lasombra instills the shadows around him with unnatural strength. Increase the Shadow Intensity of all nearby shadows by the Lasombra’s Vigor dots, up to +5. This lasts until the scene ends or he moves to a new location (as deemed by the storyteller)
                      This Devotion Costs 1 Experience to Learn

Last edited by PenDragon; 12-09-2013, 04:45 AM.

Onyx Path Moderator
                      Mod Voice is RED*
                      *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                      Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

• Nice. Though, I'm curious to why you felt the need to attach a penalty to using Shadow Play. Most of the first level discipline powers in B&S give a nice bonus to certain rolls. Was there a reason you felt this particular power should do the opposite?

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          Nice. Though, I'm curious to why you felt the need to attach a penalty to using Shadow Play. Most of the first level discipline powers in B&S give a nice bonus to certain rolls. Was there a reason you felt this particular power should do the opposite?
                          Primarily because it can be used as a multiple action power in certain circumstances. Though thinking on it now I could just make it an instant action...actually yes, that'd solve a number of potential problems. Changing it.

Onyx Path Moderator
                          Mod Voice is RED*
                          *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                          Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

• Masquerade Obtenebration was one of my favourite powers, so I am glad to see such a cool writeup for B&S. Thank you very much!

However, there is something I find odd. Shadow Stuff Armour as written seems to work very counter-intuitively. With the current formula Shadow Intensity / (Shadow Intensity-2) you end up with this:
                            +1 1/(1-2) = -1 0
                            +2 2/(2-2) = 0* 0
                            +3 3/(3-2) = 3 3
                            +4 4/(4-2) = 2 2
                            +5 5/(5-2) = 1.67 1 OR 2**
                            *: Technically dividing by zero.
                            **: Depending on whether you round up or down.

This seems very odd to me. +3 is the sweet spot, after that the greater the Shadow Intensity, the lower the armour. Is this working as intended?

Edit: I just now realise that you might have been referring to [ARMOR]/[BALLISTIC ARMOR] instead of a calculation. If that is the case it reads somewhat confusingly since it only talks about soak afterwards, making it sound like it is only a soak value, without any ballistic armour. It would also grant some very impressive armour then, which might be a bit too much at higher dots.
                            Last edited by saibot; 12-09-2013, 08:42 AM. Reason: Added a thought

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

• Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                              Slow weekend means more writing. This time it's Obtenebration, renamed Umbra to differentiate it from the Khaibit's deal (whatever that turns out to be). As with other revisions this assumes the use of GMC rules and the B&S discipline previews.
                              Ooh, that's cool! I always thought the Lasombra were damn awesome... I might have a place for this in a campaign, depending.

My boyfriend and I brainstormed a GMC adaptation of Tezcatl, though I neglected to write it down. I'll see if I can cobble it back together and post it...and man, maybe we can cook something up for the Khaibit. Especially since I am very very excited to play with the new Strix.

Comment

• Whats this about banes and weaknesses needing to interact with humanity? Was it one of the guidelines that the devs are using when making B&S? Where did you get the idea?
                                Yes, it is one of the guidelines. Basically you don't suffer from your Clan Bane until you drop to Humanity 6 (but then you have it forever) and the weakness is tied to Humanity, geting worse the lower it is.

So flat things like "Must feed on sick people" don't work anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X