B&S compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&S compatibility

I'm a bit confused about the whole Blood and Smoke thing. I understand its a 2nd edition of requiem that incorporates the core nWoD rules along with vampire (so you don't need WoD + VtR just B&S) but is it drastically changed / is it a totally new system and how compatible is it with the splatbooks?

Mostly, it's compatible.

For the core rules, it's a very similar system, with the main changes being combat and the moving of ongoing modifiers into Conditions. Vampires themselves still follow the same basic ideas, but most of their rules are different. Some stuff from the splatbooks has been redesigned and brought into the core, like Invictus Oaths and Carthian Law.

Prior bloodline Disciplines mostly work, but are built differently from the revised Disciplines. Coils have undergone a complete redesign (they're now 1 to 5 and have side-abilities called Scales), so first edition Coil stuff requires some effort to port over. Merits have been revised, so first edition Merits may seem over or underpowered now.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
    Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Comment

Also, check out stickied homebrew thread... it has quite a lot of conversions made by fans

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

It seems a bit clunky - it is best just to stick with WoD+VtR+Splat or B&S as a separate entity rather than trying to kludge them together?

Comment

Most "nWoD 1e" books will work pretty well with the Blood & Smoke rules, it's not a totally new system. Some of the resolution mechanics are different, and references to a Kindred's Virtue or Vice or the Predator's Taint will have to be freestyled, but something like "add a bloodline weakness, buy up to five dots of a Discipline or buy various special Devotions, they roll an Attribute + Skill + Discipline, count successes and yield a result" is all still in there.

Comment

I'd go with B&S and adding elements you want from the old books quite a lot of them directly port over.. some of them need reconsideration, while others are already in that book converted. It's a great improvement so just read it and try it out

My Bloodline conversions
            My House rules

Comment

I would go the other direction, personally. Take what you like of the Discipline Re-writes and port them back to Requiem. But then, though I like the fluff of Blood and Smoke, I do not like the mechanical changes.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Ha, we sit on completely different boats then Since at least I don't use Strix at all.. (other fluff updates are nice, but they mostly streamline what was said over quite a few books). In any case, another advantage to go with B&S is the fact that all the future books will be written for it (well, unless we get another edition), so unless you want to port back all the new material as well using B&S will have that going for it

My Bloodline conversions
                My House rules

Comment

Yeah, I don't use the Strix either . Don't really see a point to them for my style of stories. B&S does have the advantage of being the new paradigm, to be sure. I don't really see me buying any more Vampire books though (due to God Machine updates) so picking and choosing what I like form future books is okay with me.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

I would switch to B&S, for the most part all the other books (other than the blood) still work fine. You can leave basically anything that doesn't have a new analogue as is. Most bloodlines are still plug and play, they're just not as powerful in comparison considering the new disciplines. Some of the Covenants got reflavoring, but much of the covenant books will remain useful, especially in regard to structure and things. The Clan Books are still wonderful resources, and really everything works great with the new book. You could convert various modifiers from discipline effects into conditions, and a few bloodlines are less useful (any that have fog of ages prevention).

Overall the systems are cleaner, more gritty, and more fun. Blood & Smoke feels more like vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Neferet View Post

Overall the systems are cleaner, more gritty, and more fun. Blood & Smoke feels more like vampires.
                      Interesting... While it may be a Cleaner system (in some respects, I would agree, but in most I would not), to me, Blood & Smoke feels more like Superheroes with Fangs. Their power levels were ramped WAY up in comparison to Core Requiem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post

Interesting... While it may be a Cleaner system (in some respects, I would agree, but in most I would not), to me, Blood & Smoke feels more like Superheroes with Fangs. Their power levels were ramped WAY up in comparison to Core Requiem.

See, I had the exact opposite of a problem with Core Requiem. It seemed like goth kids playing at being vampires. A housecat was a threat to your unlife. It was overnerfed from Masquerade, and suffered for that.

Comment

Keep it cool guys, there's a fine line between discussing preferences and edition warring.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I actually like the fact the superhero with fangs feel, especially for new characters. That's what i actually try to give to my players: you are now supernatural, you get cool powers, you are hard to kill, you can have all the time you will ever want...

Then drop the realization that this comes with a prize: the beast and its thirst and its banes. And the realization doesn't arrive when you go to sleep or when you are enjoying your superpowers. It arrives later, when you are tired, when you are hurt and you look for comfort from someone who actually cares about you, someone you had to push away a little because you now live two lives. It happens when you realize people now keep their distance from you because you make them feel uneasy, or when you go in an uncontrollable rage for a minor offense you would only be irritated by, or when you find yourself scared to have a close relation to someone because you will risk obsessing over them for their entire life... and you realize the beast has no ally, friend, no loved one, no restraint. And the stronger you get, the more dangerous you will be to everyone.

You can keep those you care safe from afar, but distancing you from people will only let the beast come closer.

You can say "Who cares what happens to lessers? I'm superior now." guess who is on the right way to lose himself to the beast?

Have your superpowers, use them... then try to actually BE human when you can survive a gunshot to the head, punch holes into people, nullify their will just by looking at them.

Oh, did i forgot to mention an entire society of people ready to take what you hold dear and tear them to shred if you happen to be in their way?

Then you realize being a superhero is really s#@**y when you can only fight, fight others and fight yourself, with othersoption are losing yourself or die.
                            Last edited by TittoPaolo210; 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Neferet View Post

See, I had the exact opposite of a problem with Core Requiem. It seemed like goth kids playing at being vampires. A housecat was a threat to your unlife. It was overnerfed from Masquerade, and suffered for that.
                              Yeah, I can agree that Requiem suffered a bit from Masquerade. But it eventually became its own entity. I LIKE that the Supernaturals are not something that could just ignore humans. I think Humans should be a threat, and a serious one at that. That is why the Masquerade is a thing for Vampires, after all.

No Worries Charlaquin... No antagonism intended on my part.

Comment

Working...
                              X