No announcement yet.

Gangrel/Mekhet Bloodline: The Machinists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like both of them! I would probably put a reminder for blood of repair that even though the parts look super grotty, they still function properly.

Comment

Fluff and effect wise they are IMO good addition, but I'm not sure if Machine Rhythms should be 1 XP, it's very cheap yet versatile. Blood of Repair could be useful for those Kindred who maintain voidships in my Mirrors like setting.

And indeed, Slashers are worst nightmare of many splats.

PS. My more experienced friend says the cost is fine, though.
      Last edited by Kat; 10-15-2014, 04:20 PM.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

I put in a note that Blood of Repair does not impair the machine's functioning, and have popped the Devotions over into the first post.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Also, how much is this based on the god-machine? If its supposed to be connected to that, you should check out my Childer of Shemhazai bloodline. They are based on the idea of the god-machine trying to create a less resource-intensive way to find demons.

Comment

These guys are only based off the Emperor's Throne in that they come from the same "source".

Namely, the irrational fear of "Machinery as the Unknowable". Heck, they draw from the same source as the Beast; there's something inside you that has alien wants and needs, and which definitely has no love for you or your goals.

I mean, I left a hook dangling that could be used with the God Machine - they don't have to be.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

I would have liked to get to this sooner but eh, RL problems.

Originally posted by amechra View Post
              So, here's the core of the Machinist Bloodline! I'm working on four more Devotions, two of which would fit with both "branches", and one more for each branch.

This idea originally came from the idea "wouldn't it be totally sweet if a Gangrel could ghoul his motorcycle", and kinda evolved into... this.

The Gangrel branch focuses onthe inhumanity of technology. That's why their "unique" Devotion is them growing cybertech implants.
              The Mekhet branch, however, focuses on the paranoia of technology. After all, they get a unique Devotion that lets them act as a one-vampire NSA; my image of a Daughter of Steel's lair includes answering machine tapes, photographs, and DVDs liberally scattered everywhere.

I'm not sure what a Daeva, Nosferatu, or Ventrue branch would look like; their "unique" Devotions would modify Majesty, Nightmare, and Dominate, though. Nosferatu would add Animalism as their 4th Discipline, while Ventrue would add Obfuscate. I'm not sure what Daeva would add, since they lack both Disciplines. Maybe they get both, replacing one of their physical Disciplines?

Anyway, feedback would be appreciated.

That's pretty much exactly the thought I had previously. One of the reasons I wanted to see this bloodline is because I came up with the idea (well, a stunted stub) but never expanded on it due to laziness. It's fantastic to actually see the idea fleshed out-especially since the bloodline is just as gloriously weird as I imagined it would be .

If I'm reading it right, the way you tie together machines and vampires is by comparing the inhumanity of machines to the descent into inhumanity that occurs during a vampires unlife?

Iron Evolution seems like it would breach the Masquerade. It also seems very Ordo-esque what with the whole transforming yourself into something better permanently.

Call me Count .

Comment

Iron Evolution being a Masquerade breach? Yep! That's what trenchcoats are for.

And you are reading it right; the reason my initial rendition didn't work out too well is that it wasn't very Vampire, if that makes sense.

Any other Clans you'd like to see with pieces of iron sticking from their flesh?

Comment

This is a pretty neat idea overall, but I'm slightly taken aback by the bloodline gift section that allows them to drink fuel as dead blood. Given you can roll up to a gas station pretty much anywhere and shell out a few bucks for a gallon, this means as long as you have even meager resources, you can tank up almost at will, with just a bit of expended time.

For example, a neonate at Blood Potency 1 needs 2 pints of cold or dead blood to get a point of Vitae. With 8 pints to a gallon, you're looking at 4 vitae. That's roughly a buck a blood point if you're in California, for example; cheaper elsewhere. Even a more thick blooded Kindred is still going to get some damned good mileage out of this (pun intended).

In short, the idea of a monstrosity fueled by the same stuff that powers its vehicle is thematically engaging, but overpowered, and considering that feeding is one of the major things around which being a Kindred is centered, also takes away from that aspect. If you're stuck on drinking diesel or whatnot, perhaps allow it as a limited backup, with, say, a willpower expenditure per point of Vitae gained, or some other limiting factor? Otherwise, all I can think of is a Gangrel/Mekhet trucker with a spare tank on his rig just for him.

"There is the world of light, and the world of darkness. And some in the light prefer the darkness." — Loren Eiseley, The Night Country

Comment

By the time you are required to drink human blood to survive, you're getting 1 Vitae per 3/4ths of a gallon of gas. If you want to recover 5 Vitae, say, you'd have to drink just under 4 gallons of gas. By the time you hit Blood Potency 6, you have to chug a gallon and a half of gas per Vitae.

You know, I might as well go ahead and make it equivalent to cold animal blood; then you'd have to spend 1 Willpower per Vitae once you've hit Blood Potency 3. Actually, I'll go ahead and do that; when I wrote it up, I misremembered cold blood as requiring 1 Vitae per Willpower.

Comment

Idea for the nightmare devotion. You make it so anyone who even thinks about using an object (the target of the ability) is daunted by their task. So anyone who tries to use the target object for the rest of the night gets a penalty to using it. You make objects look alien and terrifying.

Comment

nightmare devotion:
                        Big Brother
                        You feel that you are being watched. Camera are following you, your phone is tapped. Where ever you go you feel tech is out to get you.

Comment

Ventrue (Dominate) would make natural decker/rigger types. Low levels of Dominate allowing you to alter the metadata of machine information (change timestamps, activate/deactivate existing accounts). Medium levels allow you to start altering things directly (entering new words into audio records, creating/deleting entire scenes for video) and embedded commands (When user kjoy1 enters the second floor, auto-lock all electronic doors and loop the empty-floor.img to all active security cameras). With the final levels of the discipline allowing them to possess machines and control them directly.

Daeva and social media would make sense too, allowing them to include "people in the room" as people in the same chatroom or discussion forum, extending the majesty through the web, etc.
                          Last edited by Holy; 10-17-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Humble Offering:

Unmarked Slab (Protean •)
                            Cost: 1
                            Dice Pool: None
                            Action: Reflexive
                            XP Cost: (1 or 2?)

Most Gangrel find the encroachment of construction and technology into the wilderness a detriment to their natural havens of soil. The Sons of Steel welcome these new urban wastelands as just another evolution. Rather than the embrace of deep earth and natural sands, the Machine gleans comfort from industrial warehouses and long stretches of highway. Especially popular are medical locations - morgues and hospitals where blood might be likely to spill. And then of course the machine-shops where Oil in the Blood is likely to function.

Effect: When using Unmarked Grave against constructed/built materials, Machines need only spend 1 Vitae to overcome all the durability of the the target ground, rather than 1 Vitae per Durability point. Cement roadways, metal slabs, plastic and artificial flooring - these all fall under the purview of the Tamer. Worked lumbar and natural (even if carved) stone don't usually qualify without heavy modification that has significantly altered the original form.

(Design Notes - Could be a little powerful in terms of hiding from enemies, as the way to pop a Kindred out from unmarked grave is to do Structure damage to force the kindred out, and metal/cement will hive higher durability thus higher resistance to damage. The flip side being industrial shops and construction sites are more likely to have heavy tools or equipment which could overcome that. Also envisioning Stockyards as popular choices, maybe even harsh WoD-style crash-derby tracks where both oil and blood might be spilled. In fact - now I'm envisioning gladiator-style Machine fights in the sands and dust of abandoned sports complexes.)

Comment

I like Unmarked Slab - it does need some cleaning up vis-a-vis spelling and grammar, but nothing serious leaps out at me. I'd peg it at 2xp myself; hiding under titanium flooring is pretty sweet. I'll fix it up a bit and stick it in the OP with credits.

Big Brother is something you can already do with Nightmare; The Grand Delusion can slap you with any paranoid delusion, after all. Nosferatu are going to be a toughie.

Your suggestions for the other two clans are good, but don't have the right "feel" to them; I've been tying the clans to a different form of fear that machines create (Mekhet - Pervasive Surveillance, Gangrel - Inhumanity). They are also linked to the way they hunt; Mekhet are set up to be ambush killers, while Gangrel just overpower you. Nosferatu and Ventrue are ultimately different expressions of the same thing. Daeva, on the other hand, are trap hunters; they bait their trap and reel you in.

Which makes me think that Daeva would have to be Technology as a Social Substitute. While that would include sending Majesty over the web, it would also include a way to displace Majesty onto machinery, leaving people too concerned with their gizmos and gadgets to do much else.

EDIT: And then I remember Enchantment is a thing, making the latter part of that already a Devotion. I guess Majesty through Machinery will have to do.
                              Last edited by amechra; 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I don't think substituting blood with fuel fits, I mean, they are still meant to be Kindred, blood is essential for them, and technology ought to be rather means to hunt more effective than do away with what makes them Kindred.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

Working...
                                X