Torpor questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torpor questions

If a vampire goes into torpor from starvation or damage and have no vitae left, I don't see how they ever awaken from torpor. If they need to spend a point of vitae every night to animate their dead bodies then how is it they can rise from torpor if they have no vitae? Also, does a vampire's body get all shriveled up and dessicated when they are staked? What if they are staked for centuries?

In VtR they sporadically reanimate (based on their Humanity and Blood Potency) in hunger frenzy so they can seek out blood. What exactly animates them is unknown. If I cared to theorize much as to why I would say that since blood potency decays while in torpor, sometimes the decaying blood potency will discharge enough energy to enable the vampire to momentarily restart. But you still get into issues about the Law of Conservation of Energy (moreso in BS edition) there because you don't drop to Blood Potency 0 and if you did, then what? Willpower? It no longer replenishes itself from rest.
    If they're staked they remain in torpor until the stake is removed, it rots sufficiently, or their body shrivels enough so that it no longer holds the stake in place. Technically it's not going to take centuries for a little chunk of wood to rot. So if they were staked for centuries I would say that it was due to impaling said vampire on a living tree or that said stake was mystically protected to shield against rot.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
      If a vampire goes into torpor from starvation or damage and have no vitae left, I don't see how they ever awaken from torpor. If they need to spend a point of vitae every night to animate their dead bodies then how is it they can rise from torpor if they have no vitae? Also, does a vampire's body get all shriveled up and dessicated when they are staked? What if they are staked for centuries?
      My interpretation is that a Vampire who falls to torpor from Vitae loss doesn't ever wake up unless someone feeds their torpid body (or injects it with) blood. I don't know if that's the intent, but I think it's cooler that way anyway. I don't think a staked vampire's body shrivels up in torpor, because the curse causes their body to revert to the state it was in at the time of embrace, unless they spend Willppwer to make a change permanent. This is an effect of the blood, however, so an exsanguinated vampire might shrivel? I think its ultimately up to the needs of the story. Audrey is correct though, unless the stake is alive or magically protected, it'd decay pretty quickly.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I know it's been awhile since this thread was put up, but I just wanted to check my reasoning. Don't the torpor duration lists cover off on bloodless torpor? In other words, they spontaneously awaken at Blah time dependent on current BP and Humanity? Only staking torpors would be persistent from my reading of the books.

My horror roleplaying blog with a strong focus on World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu can be found here: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by Laraqua View Post
          I know it's been awhile since this thread was put up, but I just wanted to check my reasoning. Don't the torpor duration lists cover off on bloodless torpor? In other words, they spontaneously awaken at Blah time dependent on current BP and Humanity? Only staking torpors would be persistent from my reading of the books.
          Yep, you're correct. If they're out of Vitae when they hit that interval, they awaken in the midst of hunger Frenzy.

Comment

It's the torpor itself that does it. In first edition it was also mentioned to heal their final health box of damage if they didn't have the blood to do that.

So basically "sleeping for torpor duration" = 1 vitae. That they immediately have to use to end it.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey St. John View Post
              Technically it's not going to take centuries for a little chunk of wood to rot.
              Properly treated wood can last for centuries even when outside and exposed to the elements. And if a Vampire is outside and exposed to the elements it only needs to last until the next sunrise.

Comment

Remember vampire hunters: no bargain-bin stakes.

Comment

Wait, I know I'm late, but does this mean a vampire with high Humanity (8-9) and BP 1 doesn't have to worry about getting blood? They could be with no vitae left every night and just go into torpor for two days and continue like that forever without drinking any blood. And I haven't been able to find anything regarding waking up in frenzy in 2e. I know that healing the last health point was a thing in 1s but I don't see any of that in second. So what happens to a vampire with full lethal when they wake up? Do they rise for 3 seconds and then go back to it or what?

Comment

A vampire who tries to "cheat" that way will probably soon find thenselves taking a week to wake up, whatwith the constant hunger frenzies and that falling into Torpor is a Humanity 6 Breaking Point.

The book, as you say, does not answer what happens if a vampire still has lethal in its last health box. I think house ruling it to heal automatically (or at least downgrade it to bashing) makes sense. Especially if that's what happened in the first edition.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Same, I didn't read anything about waking up in frenzy, just waking up. Then, it's up to the GM to decide it having no blood is a trigger for frenzy or just a -4 modifier for when a trigger happens (which I tend to do because I like frenzy to be occasional not every time players go below 4 vitae which is very common when they're lo level). I guess the damage thing is that you just heal the rightmost wound or at least downgrade it to bashing.

I actually really like the idea of an ascetic vampire who tries to exist like that, with really high humanity, without ever feeding and counting on his torpor being short. That'd make an awesome NPC. Mechanically, it's untenable for a long time because you'll get a 4 dice penalty for every frenzy roll (if you don't count the lack of vitae itself a trigger), meaning there's a good chance you'd be frenzying frequently. Plus, the effect of prolonged hunger on the mind could break weaker willed vampires. Torpor is a breaking point and not seeing humans for too long would be too, so such a vampire would have to be incredibly disciplined. Possibly an elder who buffed up their Resolution and Composure beyond normal levels. My guess is it would probably be some kind of monk/hermit either a relatively young vampire who refused to indulge in the hunger or an elder who's seen too much and decided to retire from the danse macabre forever and reflect on other things. I could see this as an extension of the the Maiden role in the Circle of the Crone, some legendary woman who's been undead for centuries and never killed or even drank blood.

Mechanically, that involves some jacked up resolution/composure, some pretty lucky rolls for years, and then I guess they'd develop some sort of special discipline or a devotion of physical disciplines (involving resilience) or (maybe more thematically appropriate) a special merit representing the grip that vampire managed to get on their own hunger and humanity, or some occult insight they got from that.

Fuck it, if I GM vampire again, I'm gonna use that idea, it's too good to pass up.

Comment

I always intended the waking up from torpor possible even without vitae. I'd not worry about energy conservation in front of werewolf able to heal up ALL the wound without any expenditure of anything, that is a big violation to that principle :P

EDIT: even because I think that dev would point that out if a vamp without blood couldn't wake up. But book say any tot time the torpid vamp wake up. And, according to me, if she doesen't feed before sunrise, she'd fall in torpor again during the day because she is not able to spend viate to wake up next night.
                        Last edited by Marcus; 10-22-2016, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Man, sometimes when old threads get necroed, I see posts I made years back, and I'm just like "...what the hell was I thinking when I wrote that? I don't agree with that post at all!"

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            Man, sometimes when old threads get necroed, I see posts I made years back, and I'm just like "...what the hell was I thinking when I wrote that? I don't agree with that post at all!"
                            Hahahah honestly I didn't see the posts date :P

Comment

There is no rule saying that the vampire awakes in frenzy. But there are rules saying that a hungry vampire risks frenzy, and this vampire is waking in absolute hunger. It is reasonable enough to assume that most vampires simply won't resist frenzy in this very moment.

Also, there are no rules about a vampire becoming desicated at any form of torpor, in any length of time. But I see no reason the ST could just rule that in without much effort. And as some said, you don't need to mysticaly prepare a stake to last century. You just need varnish.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                              #AutismPride
                              She/her pronouns

Comment

Working...
                              X