Bloodline Disciplines in 'Blood & Smoke'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline Disciplines in 'Blood & Smoke'

So learning Bloodline Disciplines outside of the line is verboten. Can't say I like it, but that's how the cookie crumbles. That said, what about creating new Disciplines without having them anchored to a new Bloodline?

You could do that. And bloodline disciplines that specifically say otherwise could always be exceptions as well. If you want other bloodline disciplines, play an En.

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
      So learning Bloodline Disciplines outside of the line is verboten. Can't say I like it, but that's how the cookie crumbles. That said, what about creating new Disciplines without having them anchored to a new Bloodline?
      Wasn't it always? Except via Diablerie...

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Diablerie is now unable to get bloodline disciplines.

Comment

Ok, so, if new non-Bloodline Disciplines can be made, couldn't those "New" Disciplines effectively be the same as Bloodline Disciplines, just ones acquired 'the long way around', so to speak?

Comment

You couldn't take bloodline disciplines through Diablerie in Requiem, either. The only loophole was learning bloodline disciplines as a ghoul, then being Embraced.

Comment

Originally posted by amaterasu View Post
              You couldn't take bloodline disciplines through Diablerie in Requiem, either. The only loophole was learning bloodline disciplines as a ghoul, then being Embraced.
              Or getting a specific trick from a specific bloodline, where diablerie was the only way to raise those Disciplines and you needed to maintain a BP of 10 to be able to use that trick.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I was not particularly fond on how bloodlines were used in Requiem, so I'm ok that they aren't playing much of a staring role in Blood and Smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
                  Ok, so, if new non-Bloodline Disciplines can be made, couldn't those "New" Disciplines effectively be the same as Bloodline Disciplines, just ones acquired 'the long way around', so to speak?
                  Making new non-bloodline Disciplines has been around since the initial release of Vampire: the Requiem, it's in the core book. Covenant-disciplines are that, for example. That Blood Tenebrous is one of the only standing examples that aren't covenant-specific is more due to the somewhat, in hindsight, inappropriately strong focus on bloodlines the writers have had in the past.

It's a natural thought process though, in my opinion: You want to make a cool discipline. Awesome. Then you think: there would certainly be a group of vampires that have developed this discipline. That group of vampires would have passed it down and improved on it through the ages. They would have a special culture unique to them. I'll make a bloodline up in this!

Comment

Originally posted by sikker View Post
                    Making new non-bloodline Disciplines has been around since the initial release of Vampire: the Requiem, it's in the core book. Covenant-disciplines are that, for example. That Blood Tenebrous is one of the only standing examples that aren't covenant-specific is more due to the somewhat, in hindsight, inappropriately strong focus on bloodlines the writers have had in the past.

It's a natural thought process though, in my opinion: You want to make a cool discipline. Awesome. Then you think: there would certainly be a group of vampires that have developed this discipline. That group of vampires would have passed it down and improved on it through the ages. They would have a special culture unique to them. I'll make a bloodline up in this!
                    It is a logical progression, and from a story perspective it might be easier to create a Discipline "attuned" to a single Bloodline than one potentially available to everyone.

That said, have there ever been any mechanical systems written up for creating new Disciplines, like how for Changeling they wrote up how to make new Contracts?

Comment

While it doesn't let you learn it the Invictus Oath of Action can give access to a Bloodline Discipline. So hey, you have one way of doing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X