X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline: Nan Meijing

Nan Meijing

Southern Beauties

She waits with her back pressed against a concrete wall. Heavy sets of footfalls from the room ahead tell her that her quarries are slowing down; the humans think that they’ve lost her. She closes her eyes and begins to hum a quiet melody. From under the floorboards, a rustling, skittering sound begins. It starts very quietly - a cockroach shuffles out from between the floorboards. Then another. A rat emerges from a hole in the corner of the hallway where she waits.
    Her hum swells, and with it, crawling centipedes, earwigs, and house insects, scores of rats, and a few bats who’d taken up residence in the attic, pour into the hallway behind her. She shoots the door down with her gifted shotgun and steps into the doorway. They see her, her inhuman beauty framed by the denizens of the city that crawl up the walls and pool around her feet. As she lunges, they surge forward with her, devouring all they find.
    Parent Clan: Daeva
    Bloodline Disciplines: Animalism, Celerity, Majesty, Vigor
    Nicknames: The Beauties or The Pretties (Friendly), Tramps (Insult)
    Bloodline Bane: The Beauties are just as easily prone to addiction as any other Daeva. The keep the Daeva Clane bane. When a Beauty feeds from a mortal once they are fine. When they drink for a second or later times they must roll Humanity or gain the Persistent Dependent Condition (Blood and Smoke: Page 302). This dependency does not end until the person is dead.
    The Beauties are easily startled and have weak nerves. They do not gain 10 again on resolve or composure checks, with the exception of perception checks.
    Culture and History: South of the warring states Qin and Chu, there was a kingdom called Nanyue. In Nanyue there were two half-sisters, one named Ye-Xian and one named Jun Li. Ye-Xian was the older sister and was considered the most beautiful woman around. Jun Li was ugly and cruel. Ye Xian’s mother died when she was young, and her father married Jun Li’s mother. The Stepmother hated Ye Xian for her beauty and resented the fact that she would receive a better husband than her daughter.
    Ye Xian was always tasked with doing the more unfortunate jobs and being mistreated. In the few moments of her life when she was not being mistreated, she was at the nearby river, talking to a magical fish. When her step sister and step mother found out about the fish, they killed it in an act of cruelty.
    Ye Xian wept for days, but was finally met in middle of the night by a white haired pale man. This man promised her some mystical knowledge that could help her with her situation, if she would give him some of her blood. She agreed instantly.
    She was told to take the body of the fish and bury it beneath her bed. If she wanted to make a wish from the spirit of the fish she had to offer it some of her own blood. But if she wanted to ever make another wish she had to bring back, before dawn, everything she gained from the spirit.
    One night, she was informed about a dance with royalty in attendance. This dance was held every so often for wealthy men to find wives. Ye Xian was determined to go even if her step mother told her not to. She prayed to the spirit for a beautiful gown and shoes. While at the dance she became scared and skittish. Who knows what could happen if her family found her there. While fleeing the dance she lost one of her shoes.
    One king at the dance ended up finding the shoe and was determined to find its owner. While searching for the owner of the shoe the king found several hundred women who would claim to be the beauty at the dance. They would mangle their own feet in order to fit in the shoe. The king would end up killing any who tried to trick him. Eventually the king found Ye Xian and her family. Her stepmother and stepsister ended up trying to trick the king, and were immediately executed. When the king brought her back to his kingdom she was showered with praise and admiration. Eventually, with the spread of her vampiric condition throughout the island kingdom she became the first Prince of her domain.
    That is the legend of Ye Xian. To scholars in vampiric culture, it becomes clear that the man in white was her sire. What is confusing though is whether or not the bloodline started with him or with Ye Xian. If it started with him, why don’t the legends involve a larger role for him? Yet if it started with her, why is the bloodline’s distinctive gift taught to her by the man in white?
    Reputation: The Beauties are prone to fleeing in terror or panic, and therefore are often mocked for their weak wills. Within the court structure this makes them more well known for scheming and manipulating. When they do end up with a confrontation they often show up with more firepower or resources than one would expect. All in all this lends them to being very popular within Invictus.
    Becoming: The Beauties, unsurprisingly, almost exclusively have high attribute dots in Presence and Manipulation. This group of vampires has a deep fear of those who are unattractive, and therefore avoid embracing ugly humans. Social merits that require trust among others tend to be rare for them, but abilities like Bar Fly (GMC: Page 166) are fairly common.
    Bloodline Gift: The Beauties gain access to a unique merit, Shouhou Ling. In addition they gain a static benefit.
    • When the vampire is initiated into this bloodline they must choose a type of animal. A type of animal may be something such as broad as "squirrel," but not as broad as "mammal." Animals of that type act as a Humanity 5 touchstone, even if the vampire has a touchstone at Humanity 5. This includes all the benefits and dangers of a typical touchstone. In addition, any Animal Ken roles to deal with that type of animal gain a +2 dice bonus.
    Shouhou Ling (Guardian Spirit) merit 1 to 5 dots.
    • To activate the usage of this merit the Beauty needs a corpse or skeleton of their chosen animal type. They must prepare either a bed of dirt, or a dirt floor beneath where they sleep. They bury the animal in the dirt. While creating this little bed of dirt the vampire must spend 3 vitae. If the bed is ever destroyed then the bed needs to be remade with a new corpse or skeleton. Even with a new bed of dirt, the spirit within it is the same as long as its made by the same vampire. Only the vampire that made it can use its powers. Each dot of the merit adds another type of power that can be gained from the bed of dirt. Only one power may be used per night.
      • The first dot allows the vampire to better resist the will of others. Gaining this benefit costs 1 vitae. In the next contested action in which the vampire is resisting another person the resistance is considered a rote action.
      • The second dot involves making a wish right before going to sleep. It costs 1 vitae to activate and takes up the usage of the day the vitae is spent, not the night the vampire wakes up. The next time the vampire wakes up they receive 1 willpower. This is because the spirit protected the vampire’s dreams.
      • The third dot allows the vampire to gain an item from the spirit. When the vampire makes a wish they receive one piece of equipment of a single availability dot. This item appears within the bed of dirt, slightly buried. At dawn the item starts to malfunction (weapons don’t add successes, and other equipment doesn’t provide a bonus). In order for any of the other powers of Shouhou Ling to be activated in future nights, all parts of the item must be returned to the bed of dirt. Small metal shavings missing are okay, bullets missing will anger the spirit. The item provided this way cannot be a unique item. Asking for someone’s specific gun, even if the gun would normally be a one dot availability item, would result in the wish being denied. When the item is returned and the vampire sleeps over the bed of dirt, the ground swallows the item.
      • The fourth dot and fifth dot provide access to equipment of a two or three availability dots respectively. Everything else about the power is the same.
    Last edited by TheDiabadass; 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM.

This bloodline was originally thought up while joking to my partner about the movie Enchanted. There is a scene in the movie where one of the main characters sings and a bunch of roaches rats and pigeons help her clean an apartment. I made a joke that that was how animalism worked. After that, did some research, and found what I think is the oldest version of the Cinderella story. The details are all the same, except that Ye Xian is now a vampire.

Tell me what you think of the idea as well as what you think of the gift and merit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDiabadass View Post
      The next time the vampire wakes up they receive 2 willpower instead of 1.
      Vampires don't regain willpower from rest anymore.

Ortam + Malkavia makes a Requiem fun.
      Posts in this colour are Persuasion.
      Posts in this colour are Seduction.
      Posts in this colour are Intimidation.

Comment

Darn, I was about to mention that.

Maybe let them recover Willpower by resting on their bed of dirt?

Also, how does the Touchstone thing work? I mean, killing a Touchstone is bad news for your Humanity, so I'm assuming that Shouhou Ling will normally be used with a corpse that was dead already?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon birch View Post

Vampires don't regain willpower from rest anymore.
          They don't? I didn't know. Do you know where in the book that is? I'm imagining its somewhere around mask and dirge. Thanks for letting me know.

As for the touchstone thing, yeah, they likely need to find a dead animal in order to do it. In general, it will be a lot smarter to pick something like "dog" than "whale" as one is much more easy to find dead. It also doesn't have to be recently dead. So say you choose "dog," you go into a suburban backyard, find the little burial plot they made for Rex, dig up his bones, and then you make your Shouhou Ling. In regards to everything else, if your humanity is 7 or 6 you get at least a +3 to detachment since you have at least 2 touchstones, if your humanity 5 you get at least +2. If an animal of that type is trying to calm you down from frenzy (such as a pet or a familiar mostly) then it can actually get some rolls, or help someone else who is trying. It would be easier to resist frenzy near them, but also if you saw a dog getting hurt you would be more likely to frenzy, and hitting a dog with your car and killing it would cause a roll for detachment. It gives a lot of benefits to the Nan Meijing, but it also gives them a surprising number of exploitable weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDiabadass View Post

They don't? I didn't know. Do you know where in the book that is? I'm imagining its somewhere around mask and dirge. Thanks for letting me know.
            Can't find the book mentioning it, however the book doesn't mention vampires regaining willpower either And it's meant to be standalone.
            Also developers have confirmed it somewhere here.

My Bloodline conversions
            My House rules

Comment

Humans still regain willpower through sleep, right?

Also, that is now fixed. Thanks for the knowledge guys, now I need to fix a weakness for another bloodline I made.

Comment

Humans do. Vampires don't.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                X