Protean Custom Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protean Custom Options

This was going to come up at some point, why not create it now? What are some custom variant abilities you could imagine folks wanting which would be within the scope of the powers. The existence of glide kinda rules out flight (sensibly), but claws could be adapted to be horns or fanged maw, right? How about bioluminescence to help you see your way through absolute darkness (perhaps with optional forehead stalk for your own flameless lantern)? Or a viper's heat pads (sic?) which helps them detect heat signatures about the place? Or an animals' ability to see in a broader spectrum of light (as opposed to just seeing better)? Or poisonous glands behind the fangs that allows a person to spit venom into someone's eye or bite it into their wounds?

And if these did become powers (or others did), what would be the mechanical benefits be?

Also, feel free to describe why you wouldn't allow any of the aforementioned powers. I'm looking at running a private LARP so I need some pretty solid abilities here.

My horror roleplaying blog with a strong focus on World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu can be found here: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com.au/

Wait, there aren't wings anymore on Protean? Not even as an Unnnatural Change?

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Wings are still a function of Unnatural Aspect/Change. I believe Laraqua is referring to Predatory Aspect specifically as only being capable of gliding.

"These are merely stones..."

Comment

There are, and gliding flap things. The ones Laraqua are mentioning are not in the book. And it even recommends the maw in regard to the claws. I would say that most of these are acceptible at the 2 dot protean capability, while perhaps the venom spitting may be at the 4.

Also, I believe you've about covered it. Heat pads and such are just "Extra sense" the Bioluminescense would eliminate all penalties for total darkness. I would say Kindred Senses would be able to handle what Heat Pads could do for the most part, so may be redundant (Heartbeats, smell, etc). But might give an additional bonus.

Poison Spitting I'd put at the 4 dot, causing Blindness Tilt if in eyes, and then perhaps lethal damage over time. Have to work with your GM on exact results there.

Comment

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I was talking about 2. A better example would be, flight is at 4 so that's covered. As for the visual spectrum, some creatures can see in ultra-violet and infra-red so that could be worth it although the more I think about it, the more I see that the IR and UV spectrum's information could be gathered using heightened senses, even if not in quite the same manner. I wouldn't disallow it if a player were set on it and willing to think about what might actually be revealed by IR and UV in particular but it is a bit underpowered.

Anyone have any thoughts about any others possibilities?

My horror roleplaying blog with a strong focus on World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu can be found here: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Quills, like a porcupine. Probably something like automatic damage if grappled, and the barbs make them difficult to pull out and heal. Likely something for Unnatural change though. Similar to Barbed Hands, but more defensive than offensive.

Maybe 1L for every grapple action as a septic barb embeds in the attacker?

Comment

Elongated body to help with grappling, like a boa constrictor (although, I think such major deformation would be at lvl 4, depends on the ST's point of view and the precise bonuses and penalties it would give)

Comment

From my game:

Predatory Aspects
                Stalker: The vampire takes on the nature of the ambush predator, moving as silently as a cat or an owl, and fading into the background. The vampire gains a +2 to all Dexterity+Stealth rolls.
                Tough Hide: The vampire gains a modicum of protection, in the form of scales, extremely tough skin, or a layer of fur. The vampire gains 1/1 Armor.
                Unnatural Aspects
                Armor Plating: The vampire grows chitinous plates or bones on the outside of its skin, defending her from attacks. The vampire gains 3/3 Armor.

GM of the Walking Shadow Campaigns
                New System and Setting Material

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Neferet View Post
                  Quills, like a porcupine. Probably something like automatic damage if grappled, and the barbs make them difficult to pull out and heal. Likely something for Unnatural change though. Similar to Barbed Hands, but more defensive than offensive.

Maybe 1L for every grapple action as a septic barb embeds in the attacker?
                  The problem with porcupine quills in particular is that Protean 2 has to mimic a predatory or scavenging animal. Not sure if insectivores like hedgehogs, echidnas, and horny toads count.

I like the ones for 'tough hide', like a crocodile. The Discipline mentions having a shark's rough skin without actually including an ability for that.

Comment

Good lord, there's a lot of possibilities for something like this. Hyperextensible joints, unhinging jaw (wasn't that a Masquerade Nosferatu merit?), frog tongue (ranged grapple), forked tongue (scent), slime sheath (grappling & wiggling), bat ears (echolocation, although it wouldn't add much to a vampire's normal senses), spinerettes or resin secretion? Maybe something that lets you make a cocoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Deflare View Post
                      The problem with porcupine quills in particular is that Protean 2 has to mimic a predatory or scavenging animal. Not sure if insectivores like hedgehogs, echidnas, and horny toads count.

I like the ones for 'tough hide', like a crocodile. The Discipline mentions having a shark's rough skin without actually including an ability for that.
                      Then your basically eliminating bats as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Neferet View Post

Then your basically eliminating bats as well.
                        hunting bugs counts as predatory by petty much any reasonable definition. And if you really, really want something with a taste for human blood, well...

Comment

Ugh. I just realized... combine a Nosferatu with a frog tongue, a glue sheath, bioluminescence, and a good vantage point, and you get this.

Comment

Here is one from our group
                            Hypodermic Fangs - The vampire's fangs become hollow like a snake's, allowing the vampire to inject a potent venom (tentatively going with Toxicity 4- 5). By rolling Strength + Athletics the vampire can also spit a slightly caustic, venomous mist which deals a number of bashing damage equal to successes at a range of one foot x Protean rating, while also envenoming the target.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoTiamat View Post
                              From my game:

Predatory Aspects
                              Tough Hide: The vampire gains a modicum of protection, in the form of scales, extremely tough skin, or a layer of fur. The vampire gains 1/1 Armor.
                              I would go for 0/1 or 0/2 instead. No matter how tough scales or skin get, I doubt that they would degrade the lethality of a bullet in the same way that steel or kevlar would

Comment

Working...
                              X