No announcement yet.

Salubri in B&S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please steal! Mutilate to your heart's content!

I thought they might be rare in the Sanctum because they consider the Sanctified a bunch of johnny come latelys. Not that you couldn't play a Sanctified Salubri! That'd create lots of potential drama, if you keep the idea that they usually follow a religion that's (effectively) the Caine/Antediluvians myth from Masquerade. In my setting, it's going to be a Sanctified Salubri who founds the Sabbat.

I have an Obeah conversion as well, but I think someone posted a better one, above. I'd call it Valeren, though, since Valeren is Latin, and Obeah is, in reality, a West Indies form of magic.

If you want conversions for the other Masquerade clans, I have a document, and a thread on this forum.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 12-23-2013, 05:05 AM.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Aye, I posted the Obeah one. It would be called Valaren for the Warrior Salubri. Any idea how to B&S-ify it.

My Homebrew
      Star Wars d10
      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

And how about this little set up? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tfU5rQvgE/edit

My Homebrew
        Star Wars d10

Comment

Ah, I didn't notice it was you who posted it!

Off the top of my head, this is how I'd B&S-ify it.:

Sense Vitality is probably fine, though have a look at the second dot of B&S Auspex, and see if that's comparable.

Anesthetic Touch probably should instill a Condition, rather than be resolved in turns, I think. It's not very good, as written, if it only lasts a really variable amount of turns. I'd also cut the Dice pool there, and just make Anesthetic Touch an extension of Sense Vitality. Spend an additional Vitae as you touch the subject, that sort of thing.

Burning Touch should instill a Condition, in addition to the other effects. Something that makes you frightened or have residual pain. It might also function as another modification or add on for Sense Vitality.

I have no idea about Armor of Caine's Fury. It was always a weird power, and it's not actually that great for 4th level. It also doesn't really fit with the rest of the set. I'd scrap it and come up with something better, or really boost the Frenzy aspect. The armour is redundant with Resilience.

Vengeance of Samiel is a reeeeeeally eye balled approximation of the original power, since damage works differently in NWoD. It's not bad, but it doesn't have a lot of flavor, and it's a bit bare bones for that level.

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Hmmmm. I wonder if it'd be possible to have a 4th or 5th dot power (Fury of Samiel, perhaps) that entered the Vampire into Frenzy, and gave them control of it.

My Homebrew
            Star Wars d10

Comment

I like the write up! You may or may want to add some detail about the Salubri religion, but that might be more interesting as something lost and forgotten by the time of Rome.

As for taking control of the Frenzy, that might be a little too close to Riding the Wave. Maybe they enter a Frenzy-lite state? It still might be a bit lacking. The new fifth level powers are pretty grandiose. One thing I've taken note of with the B&S design philosophy is that the powers ought to build off each other. Valeren, unfortunately, isn't a very pure power conceptually. Like, Dominate is mind control, Auspex is ESP, Protean is shape shifting, Valeren is...being good at killing stuff and also you can see health? Know what I mean?

You might want to write up some notes on what you want it to be in an archetypal sense. That might help you build it into something suitable.

Comment

Conceptually, I look at Valaren as using a mystic sense in an offensive manner. It's about seeing the vital energy, and having foresight, and building it into a combat power. Start with learning health, and seeing the state of a subject. Then go to learning how to block pain, I would let the Salubri do it to themselves, and then use that to CAUSE pain, then build on the foresight portion. use it for defense, battle precognition, and then lastly, use it to get a perfect blow in, because the third eye knows where to strike before your mind or body does.

Starting to make sense?

My Homebrew
                Star Wars d10

Comment

That's a really excellent way of putting it. Valeren is the discipline of being a warrior. Understand pain, then apply that knowledge. Keep us updated, because that's something I might want to make use of myself! For now, sleep. If you have any other questions about Masquiem stuff, feel free to PM me.
                  Last edited by Yossarian; 12-23-2013, 06:04 AM.

Comment

It's all in what exactly player and ST want for their game.

It most probably has nothing to do with the direction you intend to go, but my first VtR PC i just faked the whole "creepy Kuei-jin/diabolic Salubri" angle with a vanilla Nosferatu that looked mostly normal except for some ugly protuberance he had in the forehead (usually covered by a hat, bandanna, etc) that would glow from inside and turn translucid when he used Nightmare, until he developed level 5 and the thing would rip asunder as a full-on blodshot demonic eye upon activation. That combined with some Obfuscate (and later Dominate) devotions did wonders for the whole "goblin fire & goosebumps" angle.

Comment

Well, I am set on this way and am using it. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love it. I'm looking for a name for the 4 dot power. So far I have 'Intuitive Foresight' as it's name.

My Homebrew
                      Star Wars d10

Comment

This came from a slightly spurious source, but how about "Vision of Bath Kol"? Bath Kol was the voice of God/an angel of prophecy, and that name would be appropriate if you keep with the Judeo-Christian angle.

Comment

Spurious, sources are the best place for WoD information! Alright. I like the name, and used it, so any comments on it's mechanical effects?

My Homebrew
                          Star Wars d10

Comment

I like the basic idea, but maybe it could use a few more aspects. Is the Duration per turn?

Here's my take. It might be a bit too powerful, but I think at the moment it hews slightly too close to Celerity:

•••• Vision of Bath Kōl
                            The Salubri’s third eye opens with a faint glow, and locks onto her foes. At this level of Valeren, the Salubri reaches a level of understanding beyond mere health. By reading the minute tells of her opponents, her mind can extrapolate their actions.
                            Action: Reflexive
                            Cost: 1 Vitae
                            Dice Pool: None (Modifies Third Eye’s Sight)
                            Duration: Turn
                            System: The Salubri activates Third Eye's Sight, but may apply it against a number of foes equal to her dots in Blood Potency. Use the highest Stamina of the group as a penalty. In addition to the usual effect, for the rest of the scene the Salubri may apply her Valeren dots to her Defense, or as bonus dice to resist Frenzy, depending on the context. This effect costs a Vitae per use, but can be used after an opponent has declared their action. It applies to all opponents she is using Third Eye's Site on. For example, if two opponents came at the Salubri with torches, she would be able to apply her dots in Valeren to both Frenzy checks these attacks might cause. If the Vampire desires to use both effects, she may split the modifiers between them. In the same example, a Salubri with Valeren 4 could apply 2 to her Defense, and 2 to her Frenzy roll.

This is just off the top of my head, but it's a bit more bang for you buck, and it applies the idea of B&S powers building off each other. It also gives a nod to the Frenzy thing that used to be there. It might be a bit too powerful?

I really like where you're going with these. I might play around some more with what you have.
                            Last edited by Yossarian; 12-26-2013, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Oh man. I like that a lot. I like the nod to the old effect, and it makes sense in context, a flash of foresight is used to negate some of the surprise and steel the Beast. As for the duration, well, it lasts the entire scene. So;

Duration: Turn and Scene (Read description) ?

My Homebrew
                              Star Wars d10

Comment

Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post
                                Oh man. I like that a lot. I like the nod to the old effect, and it makes sense in context, a flash of foresight is used to negate some of the surprise and steel the Beast. As for the duration, well, it lasts the entire scene. So;

Duration: Turn and Scene (Read description) ?
                                That's probably right. You could also just write "Special (See Below)".

Comment

Working...
                                X