X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaminggod
    started a topic Salubri in B&S

Salubri in B&S

So, I am running a Requiem for Rome game with the new B&S Rules. However, my wife really wants to play a Salubri. I want her to play one, they are my favorite clan also, however... I'm not sure the best way to implement them. I am thinking as a clan from the East. I want to play up their ability to see, manipulate, heal, or maybe even, eat souls. So, I come to you OP forums to see if any of the current Vampire: the Masquiem homebrewers can help me make the Salubri Clan, and their signature Discipline. My first thought was to, perhaps, even play up the connotation on Obeah refering to African magic, and give the clan an African origin. Which, regarding that, I looked at the Vampire: the Ebony Kingdom on Mr gone's site, and was going to see if there was a way to B&Sify it. Anyone up for the challenege with me?

I am considering having Warrior Salubri be a bloodline, as a note.

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    With the Valeren open development going on, I thought the idea of Ending the Watch was a better fit for the 5th dot power. It shows a lot of symmetry with the Healer option, so I added it as the 5th dot to my Blood and Smoke conversion, and put Vengeance of Samiel as a devotion. Any critique for Ending the Watch?
    ••••• Ending the Watch
    The Salubri can gain power from death, either from the poor souls that wish to die, or from the last breath of their foes. When the Salubri activates this power, the Fury touches the target, and their third eye opens, drawing in the soul of the target.
    Action: Instant
    Cost: 1 Willpower
    Dice Pool: Wits + Empathy + Valeren
    Dramatic Failure: The Soul overwhelms the Salubri, and the Beast fights back. Gain the Competitive, Beastial or Wanton Condition.
    Failure: Nothing happens
    Success: The Salubri may use this power in one of two ways, either they touch the corpse of a foe they have killed recently within the scene. The second way is they can instantly kill a target that truly wishes to die, even if it is a victim of the Salubri’s torture (from, say, Burning Touch), when he touches the target’s heart, it instantly ends their life. After a success on the absorption roll the Salubri may do one of two things;
    • Recall facts of the target's memory, requiring a separate Intelligence + Empathy + Valeren roll for each factoid of significance. With the soul's vitality residing inside the Salubri, he knows much of what the dead man did—interesting secrets, rare treasures, or vital documents. The Salubri may choose to let pertinent information come to him (Storyteller's choice) but this incurs a -2 to the Intelligence + Empathy + Valeren roll.
    • Absorb the living energies of the mortal's soul; each success heals the Warrior of a level of damage, whether bashing, lethal or aggravated.
    Once the successes on the roll have been used by either or both options, the remnants of the soul fade from the Salubri's own, venturing to their final destination. The Warrior may only retain one soul at a time. The corpse of the target may be fed upon, regardless of clan weakness. Their blood tastes rich and hot, even long nights after death. However, they may not be Embraced.
    Exceptional Success: The Salubri gets the benefit of both options at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    I have changed Visions of Bath Kol, because I felt it overlapped too much with Celerity. Here is the new version;
    •••• Vision of Bath Kōl
    The Salubri’s third eye opens with a faint glow, and locks onto her foes. At this level of Valeren, the Salubri reaches a level of understanding beyond mere health. By reading the minute tells of her opponents, her mind can extrapolate their actions, and prepare for for what is to come.
    Action: Reflexive
    Cost: 1 Vitae
    Dice Pool: None (Modifies Third Eye's Sight)
    Duration: Special (See Below)
    System: The Salubri activates Third Eye's Sight, but may apply it against a number of foes equal to her dots in Blood Potency. Use the highest Stamina of the group as a penalty. In addition to the usual effect, for the rest of the scene the Salubri may split her Valeren dots to add to her Defense, Melee attack roll (Brawl and Weaponry) or as bonus dice to resist Frenzy, depending on the context. This bonus may not exceed half her Valeren dots in bonuses. This effect costs a Vitae per use, but can be used after an opponent has declared their action. It applies to all opponents she is using Third Eye's Sight on. She can spend 1 Vitae to rearrange the bonuses for the scene. Against damage that does not stem from a direct attack (such as a car crash), the vampire enjoys the benefits of armor equal to the number of bonus Defense she assigned.

For example, if two opponents came at the Salubri with torches, she would be able to apply her dots in Valeren to both Frenzy checks these attacks might causes. If the Vampire desires to use both effects, she may split the modifiers between them. In the same example, a Salubri with Valeren 4 could apply 2 to her Defense, and 2 to her Frenzy roll, foregoing any bonus to her Melee attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Ok, I want to ask someone to critique the mechanical aspects of Valeren? I have heard people say it is OP, specifically;

Valeren 1: When does one use Empathy and when does one use Medicine? Why is Stamina subtracted for resistance and not Stamina+Blood Potency, and how would one even resist being looked at by the third eye? Also, vampires automatically recognize each other as vampires, so that part of its effects are redundant. Does the vampire have to touch the subject, or is line of sight sufficient? According to the success description, you learn one piece of information per success, but under exceptional successes, you learn only two pieces for an exceptional success.

WP Valeren 3: Again, why is the victim's resolve subtracted instead of making it a contested roll with Resolve+Blood Potency? Why is there no downside to using this power? The ability to take dice away from other people's dicepools without a drawback beyond investing Vitae? No, not going to happen. Does the variable Vitae expenditure override the normal rules about limiting the amount of Vitae spent per turn? Are dice pool loses cumulative? Why not simply have use of this power inflict a Condition, with a secondary effect for an exceptional success?

WP Valeren 4: There are too many effects stacked into this Discipline. Extending the level 1 power to everyone in a scene is fine, but adding Valeren to all combat statistics is not. This seems more appropriate to an Auspex/Valeren Devotion.

WP Valren 5: I haven't seen any ability in the new system that lets you upgrade a dramatic failure to a normal failure, so I can't allow that. I presume you mean that the Salubri can only use the killing blow retaliation effect on a number of foes as she has Blood Potency on per scene.

HP Valeren 3: What's the system for contesting this?

HP Valeren 5: The ability to diablerize a person affected by this power goes counter to everything thematically presented thus far with the Salubri healers, same with torturing. Taking those two away leaves this level of Valeren feeling less impressive than a level 5 Discipline should be. I still don't understand thematically what this is supposed to do at this level. I'm not reading: the ultimate expression of the healer's arts.
    Now I have somethings to answer to it, but I want outside interpretation to this. Thank you kindly!

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Alright, I updated my GoogleDoc to show the change in mechanics for the Healer path. No fluff added, but it should be playable now. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...vgE/edit?pli=1

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Thank you! A lot of that can go to Yossarian. By the way, Obeah will be finished soon, I accidently hit post before I was ready.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    liked it. Also, the part in the clan's origin were the strixs are called the "lilitu" and being the children of Lilith is one of my own theories about the origin of the Owls :P

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Salubri Healers Nickname: Unicorns
    Clan Disciplines: Auspex, Resilience, Valeren
    Clan Bane - The Purity Curse: Salubri find it difficult to feed from an unwilling vessel. When feeding from a vessel who has been taken by force, a Fury gains no nourishment from the first few Vitae taken, equal to 10 – Humanity.
    Favoured Attributes: Intelligence or Presence

Valeren

Path of the Healer

Third Eye’s Sight
    At this level, the Eye grants insight into an opponent’s health, or, indeed, his very nature. A Salubri might use this knowledge to plan her attack, or even to taunt her opponent.
    Cost: Varies. The first use of it within a scene is free, but each use afterward costs 1 Vitae.
    Dice Pool: Intelligence + Empathy (or Medicine) + Valeren – subject’s Stamina (if unwilling)
    Dramatic Failure: Proceed as if the player had rolled a Success, but give them false or misleading information.
    Failure: No information is gained and the spent Vitae is lost.
    Success: The Salubri learns one of the following based on number of successes (though the player must specify):
    • the identity of a subject as a mortal, vampire, ghoul, dampyr, or some other creature;
    • how many health levels of damage the subject has suffered;
    • how full the subject's Vitae pool is (if a vampire) or how many blood points she has left in her system (if a mortal or other blood-bearing form of life);
    • any diseases in the subject's bloodstream, such as haemophilia or HIV.
    Alternately, this power may be used as a sort of limited “after sight”, revealing to the Salubri how the subject came to be in her current state (whether living or dead). A successful roll allows the player to ask the Storyteller as many questions about the subject's health or health levels as she rolled. “Was he drugged?” or “Are his wounds aggravated?” are valid questions, but “Did his enemies do this?” or “What did the Lupine who killed him look like?” are not. This particular effect may only be used once per night on an individual, and only once, period, on corpses. The Salubri may use this power on herself if she has injuries but has somehow lost the memory of how the wounds were received.
    Exceptional Success: The Salubri may receive two pieces of information or ask two after-sight questions.

•• Anesthetic Touch
    The Salubri’s understanding of the body expands, and she may use her knowledge to manipulate others directly. The Third Eye opens and creates a soothing aura around the Salubri’s subject. This blocks pain from wounds or disease, or can knock a mortal out. Unlike Third Eye's Sight, physical contact is required to Anesthetize someone. This power may be used to block the Salubri’s own pain.
    Action: Instant or Contested
    Dice Pool: Presence + Medicine + Valeren vs. Resolve + Blood Potency (if unwilling)
    System: The subject gains the Anesthetized condition.
    To put a mortal to sleep, the same system applies. The mortal sleeps for five to 10 hours—whatever his normal sleep cycle is. He sleeps peacefully and does not suffer nightmares or the effects of any Conditions while asleep. He may be awakened normally (or violently).

Anesthetized
    You have been dulled to pain, and do not suffer adverse effects.
    Effect: Ignore wound penalties and Conditions or Tilts caused by pain, such as Arm or Leg Wrack. Characters still gain a Beat for taking damage in their rightmost Health Boxes.
    Causing this Tilt: The Anesthetic Touch power.
    Resolving: This ends when the scene ends, or if the vampire who used this power wills it to end.

••• Mens Sana
    The Salubri understands pain, and injury like no other, and can extend the healing properties of their vitae without having to feed it to them.
    Action: Instant or Contested
    System: By laying her hands on a subject, she may restore Health by spending vitae; each point spent heals two points of bashing damage or one lethal, while healing aggravated damage requires four vitae per Health point. Alternately, the vampire may spend a vitae while touching the mortal, and halve her natural recovery time.

•••• Devil Ward
    Cost: 2 Vitae.
    Dice Pool: Presence + Intimidation + Valeren
    Duration: Scene
    The Salubri can channel the third eye's power into a powerful ward of protection, assaulting the spirits of anyone that would approach her. The third eye opens and emits a pulse of light, filling the area around the Salubri with a blood-red colored energy.

Dramatic Failure: The third eye opens, and begins to bleed as it fails to initiate. Take 3 Bashing damage.
    Failure: The eye manifests but does nothing.
    Success: Anyone that attempts to approach or engage the character must make a Resolve + Power Stat roll; if he exceeds the successes made by the one evoking this power, he defeats the ward and can approach her and act normally. Those that fail to breech the ward suffer a psychic backlash, losing a point of Willpower, and are paralyzed for a number of turns equal to successes rolled. Multiple attempts to breach the ward may be made, but successes don't accumulate – all the success must be made in one roll. Finally, even after someone defeats the Devil Ward, others that would approach the Salubrir must still do so themselves.
    Exceptional Success: Extra successes are their own reward.

••••• Unclad the Bestial Soul
    Cost:
    Varies. (See below)
    Dice Pool: Wits + Empathy (or Intimidation) + Valeren
    Action: Extended
    System: For an unwilling target, they must be unmoving, or at least restrained, and he user must get a number of successes equal to the target's Willpower, resisted by a reflexive Resolve + Power Stat roll.

Dramatic Failure: The soul fights back and damages the Salubri, giving them the Scarred condition.
    Failure: The soul escapes.
    Success: You make headway into your endeavor.
    Exceptional Success: Extra success are their own reward.

After you achieve enough successes you can do one of a couple of things;
    • Heal the soul. For every Willpower spent in this process the subject gains 1 Integrity, Humanity or similar stat. She cannot restore more points of morality than the subject original had. Furthermore, one can only benefit from this once from the specific Salubri.
    • Devour the soul. The Salubri can initiate diablarie against the subject. This can be used against mortals or other foes, such as a posssessing spirit, and it grants a +2 to the process. It is still a breaking point.
    • Torture the soul. The Salubri can make changes to the nature of the victims soul. Change their Vice, or give them the Madness condition, or implant commands. Such manipulation require a Manipulation + Empathy roll for every success.
    • Free the target of spiritual possession. If the target is possessed by a spirit, strix or other being, they can abjur the force from the target's body and mind.
    Last edited by Dreaminggod; 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    I have an update on the GoogleDoc set up here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...vgE/edit?pli=1) and I started a thread on RPG.net to gather some input. http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...mp-Smoke-PEACH

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Oh that is wonderful. I will love to see it when it is done.

Leave a comment:

• Yossarian
    replied
    I'm actually gonna put all these bits together, based on your Google Doc, and make sure everything is consistent. I'll try to add some fluff as well.

Leave a comment:

• Yossarian
    replied
    Yeah, you're right. I might drop the Willpower cost, just to make it a little more accessible (and so you can use it in a turn you've already spent a WP). And drop the thing about it not stacking with Vision of Bath Kol. I think that gives it more of an edge. That way, you're basically daring people to miss you.

Edit:

So, basically:

••••• Vengeance of Samiel
    The Salubri foresees the doom of his opponent. When her foe makes the fateful strike, the Fury's third eye shines a baleful blue, and the Salubri or her allies lash out without a moments hesitation for a final strike to end any who would dare strike one of Cain's children.
    Action: Reflexive
    Dice Pool: None (Modifies Third Eye Sight)
    System: When a foe misses the Salubri with a Brawl or Weaponry-based attack, the Salubri may do one of two things:
    • She may immediately make a Weaponry or Brawl attack against her foe, and re-roll any failed dice once. This can occur if the Salubri has already acted in the turn. The opponent does not apply her Defense to this move (though she does apply any Celerity). If this roll is somehow a Dramatic Failure, the Salubri's player may treat it as a standard failure. If the opponent's roll was a Dramatic Failure, the Salubri may perform a Killing Blow (Blood and Smoke, p. 178). This power can only be used on a character the Salubri is currently using Third Eye Sight on; this does stack with Vision of Bath Kol, so the Salubri can use this power if multiple opponents fail to hit her in a turn. However, such insight is exhausting, and a Salubri may only use this move as many times as she has dots in Blood Potency.
    • She may use her Third Eye to send a brief psychic impression to any allies she has. For the rest of the turn, these allies (up to a number equal to the Salubri's Presence) may add the 8-again quality to any rolls made against the subject of the power, and add the Salubri's dots in Valeren to their attack rolls. As with the first application of this power, the Salubri may only do this a number of times equal to her Blood Potency.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 12-26-2013, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Well, with all the Defense increasing powers in Valaren, people are going to be missing the Salubri a lot. I felt that it built on what came before, build it on the 4th dot too.

Leave a comment:

• Yossarian
    replied
    It might be just a touch too circumstantial at the moment, but on the other hand, it's pretty nasty. Plus, being too specified might have been why the Salubri didn't survive Rome, in addition to any other plot reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    That is.... perfect. Exactly what I was going for. I added it to the GoogleDoc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tfU5rQvgE/edit) for anyone to see. I can see why the Salubri ended up as the staple of the Legio Mortuum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X