Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about your Nameless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Tossing in my guess, is somekind of Apex Beast.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
      Tossing in my guess, is somekind of Apex Beast.
      I'm not too interested in confirming or denying any of these ideas. But, I will say that Beast wasn't even a twinkle in our eyes when I wrote The Nameless. So while it COULD be an Apex Beast, that concept didn't exist at the time I came up with The Nameless.


      David A Hill Jr
      Freelance Writer
      Independent Game Designer

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by MachineIV View Post

        I'm not too interested in confirming or denying any of these ideas. But, I will say that Beast wasn't even a twinkle in our eyes when I wrote The Nameless. So while it COULD be an Apex Beast, that concept didn't exist at the time I came up with The Nameless.
        Good to know, I'll take that into account.

        Comment


        • #94
          Just gonna put some stuff together and say that the Nameless deliberately attacked the Carthians and gave THEM the rules because the Carthians make rules into Rules.

          The Pit of the Nameless is such a great chapter and I've been itching to run it since I ordered B&S back in 2013, but I've never gotten the chance. It really emphasizes a "different" way of running Vampire, as opposed to the usual Kindred society bent. I think if I did run it though, I'd put way more focus on the difficulty of following the Nameless' rules and make it next to impossible to actually figure out anything about what the Nameless actually is (because the Nameless' rules are very strongly based around making it impossible to know what it is.)

          Comment


          • #95
            The most interesting thing about the Nameless, IMO, is that unlike the other bogymen which lurk in the CofD (like Abaddon from Berlin, or the Flayer from Orkney) is that it isn't really interested in killing. Where Abaddon is a mystery killer which seems to be connected to the strix in some way, and the Flayer steals the souls and skins of Beasts, the Nameless kills only when someone breaks its rules. As I've stated before in the thread, the fact that one of the rules is "don't kill each other" means that it needs unliving vampires in its territory. The way the rules operate also seem a bit more interesting once reading Secrets of the Covenants- it looks like there are different levels of enforcement over each of the rules- vampires are forbidden from leaving the city, but the Nameless doesn't mind if they merely get a toe out or something like that. Vampires are forbidden from searching after it, but it doesn't mind if they try to passively stumble upon it. However, if by pure chance there are more than 4 vampires in the same room- bang. All dead.

            In sort, the Nameless seems to only care about the rules as is- by word, not spirit. The Nameless needs vampires, but it doesn't really understand vampires. Unlike other mystery killers, it has an agenda- it works toward something, or at least gains something from the whole fucked up situation. I won't say that it is a Beast, simply because beasts has a much better understanding of other supernaturals- and even though they feed upon the pain and fear of others, they do see vampires as their family. The Nameless, however, is an alien to the vampire culture, as it doesn't really gets it. It has an end game, and it needs vampires to achieve it- but why and how, its a mystery.

            However, the Nameless is undoubtedly the Apex of the city. I must say I wonder how the other supernatural residents work in Montreal- after all, the rules are meant for vampires, and I imagine they are being forced only upon vampires, but I don't think it would like mages sniffing around the Cross or messing with its plans.. or maybe, as it follows the rules as written, perhaps that is the only loophole vampires may use to defeat it?


            My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

            On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
            I now blog in here

            Comment


            • #96
              The Nameless seems like nothing more than a MacGuffin for the rules of Montreal to me. I don't know how useful it is. What does it know? What can it do? What can't it do? I don't know.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                In sort, the Nameless seems to only care about the rules as is- by word, not spirit. The Nameless needs vampires, but it doesn't really understand vampires. Unlike other mystery killers, it has an agenda- it works toward something, or at least gains something from the whole fucked up situation. I won't say that it is a Beast, simply because beasts has a much better understanding of other supernaturals- and even though they feed upon the pain and fear of others, they do see vampires as their family. The Nameless, however, is an alien to the vampire culture, as it doesn't really gets it. It has an end game, and it needs vampires to achieve it- but why and how, its a mystery.

                However, the Nameless is undoubtedly the Apex of the city. I must say I wonder how the other supernatural residents work in Montreal- after all, the rules are meant for vampires, and I imagine they are being forced only upon vampires, but I don't think it would like mages sniffing around the Cross or messing with its plans.. or maybe, as it follows the rules as written, perhaps that is the only loophole vampires may use to defeat it?
                You're assuming that making a complexed mess to torment Vampire society isn't its goal.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Live Bait View Post

                  You're assuming that making a complexed mess to torment Vampire society isn't its goal.
                  why, yes of course.

                  There is a reason why I have mentioned the other bogymen as reference- as there are much easier ways to spread terror and mess with the vampire society than forcing the rules. Rules, in general, exist to have some sort of purpose, to create a certain state for certain reasons. Abaddon spreads as much terror as the Nameless in Berlin, and it doesn't invest as much effort as the Nameless. All it needs to do is kill vampires in ways other vampires would not feel safe anymore- and the Nameless seems to be much stronger than Abaddon. We are talking about a being which stopped Theban Sorcery for the whole city, which shows up and vanish as easily as it wish, and which can easily kill massive groups of vampires. It doesn't need the rules to spread terror- in fact, if terror was its only goal, than why giving the rules? why not leaving the vampires in the dark, letting them to discover it by themselves, forever not knowing what is right and what is wrong? Besides, most of the Nameless's rules are very practical- don't kill each other, stay away from the Cross, don't leave the city. It isn't just some way to spread fear- it sounds like a plan. It wants the kindred of Montreal to act in a certain way, and the rest of the plot hooks hint that it is only the first stage of some greater disaster waiting to come upon Montreal. There is something coming, and the Nameless is only a part of it.

                  Also- am I the only one who finds the events of Beast's Vancouver strangely similar to the ones of Montreal? I mean, something has taught the Makara how to shut down supernatural powers, which was used on vampires on the first time. Sure, the mechanism for stopping Theban Sorcery does not seem to be the one the Disciples use, and Montreal seems to be on the other side of Canada- but it is a strange coincidence.


                  My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

                  On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                  I now blog in here

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X