Unofficial Rules Option: Vampires and non-combat sources of harm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial Rules Option: Vampires and non-combat sources of harm

Kindred resist ailments and harsh conditions that would lay even the strongest mortals low. They are immune to all mundane diseases, though a vampire who drinks from diseased humans may become a carrier for a time—many diseases eventually die out without a living host to propagate them. Likewise, Kindred cannot consume drugs in the same way as the living, though by feeding on someone currently under the influence, a vampire can feel the effects of a drug, too. Indeed, this is the only way vampires may continue to enjoy some of the vices they held in life. If such a condition is unwanted or becomes inconvenient, spending a single point of Vitae can 'burn out' the drug from her system. Poisons usually do not affect Kindred, even those with the blush of life active. The blood-destroying venom of some creatures can damage a vampire's Vitae if the blush of life is active and feigning blood flow through a Kindred body. As with drugs, spending 1 Vitae is usually enough to purge the venom, but damage done to tissue and Vitae reserves remains and must be dealt with normally.

Extreme environments hold less danger to those already dead. Vampires have nothing to fear from hypothermia or heat stroke. Air pressure means at most mild discomfort and maybe a small amount of bashing damage. Radiation poisoning, desert exposure and toxic fumes cannot generally harm the Kindred. While vampires suffer the same effects of heavy snowfall, rain and high winds as mortals do, their powers give them an edge when navigating these hazards. Vampires suffer no ill effects at all from extreme environments up to level 3, and suffer level 4 and 5 environs like mortals do lower level ones (i.e., they take bashing damage equal to the environment's level after a number of hours equal to the character's Stamina).
    Last edited by Claire Redfield; 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Can vampires no longer get high via blush?

Comment

Originally posted by Leaper View Post
      It seems that environmentals, drugs, disease and the like may have been left out entirely of B&S except in regards to how humans interact with those things. Claire was just posting basically the way it would have worked, which likely should be in an addendum or web enhancement.

Comment

Keep in mind, this is something I came up with after asking Rose about burning drugs out of a Kindred systems with Vitae. It's not official, so it may not ever make it into a web enhancement or anything.

As for me, I'd say that it's reasonable to assume that Kindred can get high with the blush of life active. I think personally I'd still rule that they must feed upon an intoxicated victim to get high or drunk, because that's a little more interesting to me, but considering they can keep food down and have sex while the blush is active, it wouldn't be unreasonable to rule otherwise.

My main thing is that vampires with blush active still can't sire or be impregnated with children, can't gain any nourishment from the food or water, don't pass out if they stop breathing, etc., so I wouldn't say they could get drunk or high, either.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Comment

I actually kind of agree with Redfield's idea of how drugs etc would work for a Kindred.

In my games, feeding isn't necessarily about a specific blood volume (i.e. you don't have to suck up a literal pint of blood to get a point of Vitae, but you do have to spend a turn drawing the life out of someone along with at least a mouthful of blood).

So, to that end, feeding is like stealing a little of someone's essence: I liken it to not just a hot metallic taste, but the sensation of fleeting thoughts, memories, impressions. Never anything solid enough like a specific memory (I'd rather leave that up to some specialized blood sorcery or bloodline discipline), but enough that it's not just a splash of hemoglobin on the tongue.

So, I kind of go the same with drugs and alcohol—you're not necessarily going through the pharmacokinetics of ingesting or metabolizing a drug or substance, but instead, a Kindred is having a taste of that "experience" of the drug that their target has in their system. If they're tipsy, you're tipsy; if they're blitzed drunk, so are you; if they're high, you're high; if they're tripping balls, then you bet the Kindred is gonna see reality in a whole different way.

I usually give it at least a scene's worth of bonuses/penalties, or perhaps more long-lasting if the Kindred has feed on multiple points of Vitae from the same source. I hadn't thought much about how to purge it from their system aside from waiting for it to expire and/or going into Daysleep, but spending a Vitae to 'burn it out' of their system makes sense to me.
          Last edited by Zsander; 01-02-2014, 08:27 PM.

"There is the world of light, and the world of darkness. And some in the light prefer the darkness." — Loren Eiseley, The Night Country

Comment

Originally posted by Leaper View Post
            There's references in the book to Vampires getting high off of feeding from drug users, so it seems it's still in.

For instance, on p. 99 about Vitae Addicts:

Some blood addicts resort to attacking
            other Kindred, or even committing Amaranth to get a fix.
            Many seek out contaminated blood when they casually hunt,
            using hard drugs as a tepid replacement for their true needs.
            That might be the only reference, but one is generally enough. It could be spelled out a bit more clearly, I guess. The Drugged condition seems good enough to resolve most of the mechanics behind it.

If you meant, like, using blush of life to get high without feeding... then I don't know.

Comment

Yeah, in vanilla VTM a vampire could experience the effects of a drug either by feeding on someone under the influence, or by just taking the drug themselves with the blush active. I never cared for the latter, because it didn't make sense to me that they could gain the intoxicating effects of alcohol with the blush, but not the nourishment of a cheeseburger. Plus I think it's much more intriguing to play a vampire who's addicted to heroine if you have to actually hunt down people on it to get your fix than if you can just spend a Vitae and shoot it up yourself. I'm glad that it's not explicitly stated in B&S, so those who liked being able to take drugs with just the blush can continue running it like they always have, and folks like me who never cared for that rule don't have to overturn a rule that's actually written in the book.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

EDIT (because for some reason when I try to edit the post on my phone it erases the whole post): I meant vanilla VTR, not VTM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                X