Vampiric Psychokinesis; how to add it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaminggod
    started a topic Vampiric Psychokinesis; how to add it?

Vampiric Psychokinesis; how to add it?

I'm a big fan of the Legacy of Kain, and in them the vampires seem to naturally possess small degrees of telekinesis, while others seem to posses a strong degree of it. I know some months ago it was discussed what powers the Kindred are missing, and PenDragon wrote up one for Flight, which was pretty cool, but was explicitly called out as NOT psychokinesis. So, I'm here, looking at my personal WoD and I want my vampires to be able to be psychokinetic. And here I am, wondering how one would do psychokinesis as a Discipline.

A quick google search doesn't seem to turn up anything.

Before someone points out the Coil or letting Vampires buy the Telekinesis merit, a) I want it to be something all vampires can access, and b) I don't think a merit fits, when all the other powers a Kindred possess are disciplines. Ergo, I am here thinking of a 1 - 5 Telekinesis Discipline. Or, should it even be like that? Perhaps it's like a physical Discipline, and the dots just increase a basic Telekinesis ability?

Any thoughts?

• Kevorkiandoctor
    replied
    Originally posted by amechra View Post

It would look... weird to give it a variable Skill. None of the other Disciplines do it (poor reason, I know), and it would lead to it being much too easy a pick.

As for the limited reach... Kindred are fundamentally in your face. Disciplines have relatively short ranges for a reason, you know.
    Agreed on the variable skill issue and range. Maybe 1 yard per BP instead? You can hit someone with nightmare from across the room.

Auspex was once very psychic like, 3 4 and 5 are all psychic like could we say that the telekinetic just replaced the first dot?

Leave a comment:

• amechra
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevorkiandoctor View Post
    Psychokinesis seems awesome as described above, but I think it'd be better to say the reach is like 2-5 yards per blood potency and maybe using the highest mental skill instead of just Occult or maybe the lowest mental attribute just to be able to mix things up and every player using the discipline wouldn't have to have the same skill line to use it
    It would look... weird to give it a variable Skill. None of the other Disciplines do it (poor reason, I know), and it would lead to it being much too easy a pick.

As for the limited reach... Kindred are fundamentally in your face. Disciplines have relatively short ranges for a reason, you know.

Leave a comment:

• Kevorkiandoctor
    replied
    Psychokinesis seems awesome as described above, but I think it'd be better to say the reach is like 2-5 yards per blood potency and maybe using the highest mental skill instead of just Occult or maybe the lowest mental attribute just to be able to mix things up and every player using the discipline wouldn't have to have the same skill line to use it

Leave a comment:

• Sethos
    replied
    Yes, nightmare, 100%! After I wrote my last post I thought about it and came to the same result. Nightmare plus Vigor. I play around with some “Poltergeist”-Devotions who allow a Vampire to change the Illusions into real alterations of the surrounding. I don't want to develop them today but it should be something like:

Nightmare 1 and Vigor 1
    Alter the room temperature, for example cool down some degree.

Nightmare 2 and Vigor 2
    Invisible Touch.

Nightmare 3 and Vigor 3
    Things in the room move slightly, fall from tables or get thrown through the air.

Nightmare 4 and Vigor 4
    The vampire can move things with his mind, for example to bar escape routes.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Pretty much what amechra said. It's a very brutal way of using it. One of the most usual abilities is the vampire feeding from a distance, siphoning the blood in a stream. But, they also have 'general' TK as viewed here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gSZlNqNQo

That's my go-to scene.

Leave a comment:

• amechra
    replied
    Originally posted by Sethos View Post

I does understood that Legacy of Kain was meant, but you are almost right because I am not familiar with it. So I still would give this hack its own thread. I think some people who know it better could give interesting impulses.

I also changed my Mind about the Auspex-Devotion. I read Auspex anew and see no way to make any physical manipulation via Auspex.

Especially this paragraph of Twilight Projection made me think this way:

“The vampire is not bound by gravity, and can travel through physical obstacles and even into the ground. He cannot interact with the physical world in any way when separate from his body. He can see and hear as well as he can normally, but cannot use Disciplines.”

I think twilight projection is more a kind of virtual travel. Vigor and celerity are my hot candidates, but only under specific circumstances (like the obtenebration Devotions). I guess the problem is, that 2E Requiem Vampire-Powers are all about the Beast. But Psychokinesis is rather a thing of a rational mind and barely of an wild predator. Find a way to make Psychokinesis primal and aggressive and you find a way to put it in the Vampires toolbox.
    I'd actually go with Nightmare for a telekinesis devotion; mix it with Vigor, sure, but Nightmare would be the base. It just seems like the most mentally aggressive Discipline, and can somewhat apply force (Give people heart attacks! Even people whose hearts aren't beating.)

As for Psychokinesis being a "refined" thing... my imagery for Psychokinesis (the Discipline I wrote up, at least) is a thousand smoky, shadowy spider legs unfolding from their head. It's the Beast being so big it leaks out of the human corpse that it's walking around in. It's Elfen Lied and Carrie, not crystal spires and togas.

Also, Legacy of Kane Vampires have some psychokinetic capability (in some cases used to explain how frickin' strong they are, in other cases as a ranged attack to kill prey from a range), which ranges from biokinesis (Turelim Tyrants in Nosgoth) to "drag a fucker over here so I can rip out his throat because I'm MOTHERFUCKING KANE." It's a brutal, visceral, and instinctive thing, like reaching out with your arm.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    If Auspex could manipulate things we wouldn't be having this discussion about how to make a psychokinesis discipline, because it would be auspex.

Leave a comment:

• Sethos
    replied
    Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post
    Ah, alright, Sethos. I'm thinking you don't know what Legacy of Kain (hereby 'LoK') is? The short of it is Vampires in LoK Pupate as they get power becoming less mortal and more... divine. As they move from humanity it shows. There's some in-game reasons why, but that's the important part. The Hack is meant to simulate that. I always hack the system yes, but I do like for Disciplines to mean something, it feels disingenuous to say 'Well, everything else is Disciplines, but Telekinesis. Just take the merit' So, a Discipline was in order.
    I does understood that Legacy of Kain was meant, but you are almost right because I am not familiar with it. So I still would give this hack its own thread. I think some people who know it better could give interesting impulses.

I also changed my Mind about the Auspex-Devotion. I read Auspex anew and see no way to make any physical manipulation via Auspex.

Especially this paragraph of Twilight Projection made me think this way:

“The vampire is not bound by gravity, and can travel through physical obstacles and even into the ground. He cannot interact with the physical world in any way when separate from his body. He can see and hear as well as he can normally, but cannot use Disciplines.”

I think twilight projection is more a kind of virtual travel. Vigor and celerity are my hot candidates, but only under specific circumstances (like the obtenebration Devotions). I guess the problem is, that 2E Requiem Vampire-Powers are all about the Beast. But Psychokinesis is rather a thing of a rational mind and barely of an wild predator. Find a way to make Psychokinesis primal and aggressive and you find a way to put it in the Vampires toolbox.

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Ah, alright, Sethos. I'm thinking you don't know what Legacy of Kain (hereby 'LoK') is? The short of it is Vampires in LoK Pupate as they get power becoming less mortal and more... divine. As they move from humanity it shows. There's some in-game reasons why, but that's the important part. The Hack is meant to simulate that. I always hack the system yes, but I do like for Disciplines to mean something, it feels disingenuous to say 'Well, everything else is Disciplines, but Telekinesis. Just take the merit' So, a Discipline was in order.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Simple, yes, but very useful and powerfull. If we go Auspex 5 + Vigor 5 that Devotion would cost 5xp, same as a 5 dot Merit so is almost the same as taking the Merit itself (and maybe you can let active Vigor to be used through the Devotion, that would make it even better).

Leave a comment:

• Sethos
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    You'd effectively be sensing something so hard it sensed back.
    Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Very funny!

Originally posted by Griautis View Post

not hard at all, you drop in some Vigor for the physical projection?

Also.. I'd like to point you to Auspex 5. Out of body experience, allowing you to travel about. If not Auspex 4, then Auspex 5 with Vigor is definetly a way to get about telekinesis
    Well, Yes, I do pondered that. I would allow it, but Auspex 5 (5!!!) is a rather high requirement for a rather simple effect. So I think some devotions would give Psychokinesis much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    You'd effectively be sensing something so hard it sensed back.

Leave a comment:

• Griautis
    replied
    Originally posted by Sethos View Post

I would not go the Auspex-Way. Auspex is thematically about senses, not the mind. So I find it hard to justify how to change Auspex to something physical.

not hard at all, you drop in some Vigor for the physical projection?

Also.. I'd like to point you to Auspex 5. Out of body experience, allowing you to travel about. If not Auspex 4, then Auspex 5 with Vigor is definetly a way to get about telekinesis

Leave a comment:

• Sethos
    replied
    Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
    If I were to go the Devotion route:

Auspex 4 + Vigor 1-5: telekinesis with a Strength equal to the Vigor in the prerequisite. Auspex proyects the mind and Vigor adds the strength behind it.
    I would not go the Auspex-Way. Auspex is thematically about senses, not the mind. So I find it hard to justify how to change Auspex to something physical.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X