Celerity 2+...any use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celerity 2+...any use?

So I just went through and reread the Celerity power and... why would anyone buy Celerity at higher dots than 1? You have every good power from the get go - 3XP for +1 defense and extra speed once in a while? I don't think that's worth it.

Am I missing something?

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
    Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
    Keywords: Mute
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

The number of times you can interrupt actions in a given scene is limited to your dots of Celerity (arguably the discipline's coolest power).

Don't underestimate how much longevity the higher penalty to attacks will give you. It's significant.

The extra speed is also not trivial. That extra dot of Celerity can be the difference between "You manage to escape!" vs "Everything goes black as the stake shatters your sternum." This becomes very clear when you're trying to outrun, or trying to catch, someone else who has Celerity.

Comment

That "little extra speed" adds up. With celerity 5, an average (2 strength, 2 dex) vampire can run 108 yards a turn. That's about 70 miles per hour.

With every relevant stat maxed out they can manage about 300.
      Last edited by Elfive; 04-28-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

If I am not mistaking you add your dots of celerity to your defense as well, so it could mean the difference of you getting hit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          That "little extra speed" adds up. With celerity 5, an average (2 strength, 2 dex) vampire can run 108 yards a turn. That's about 70 miles per hour.

With every relevant stat maxed out they can manage about 300.
          *Exactly*. Higher levels of Celerity are very useful. I honestly am not sure where the OP was coming from with the question, save from not having understood the mechanics perhaps....

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

You don't underestimate someone with high Celerity (or even midtiers). The defense bonus alone is huge, with it you can easily exceed the offenders attack pool and that's even before dodging.
            I'd go to the other way of saying that if you're getting a dot of Celerity, why wouldn't you be getting more? You get more of the awesome for no additional in-game cost (same Vitae costs for more benefits). More speed, more defense.

My Bloodline conversions
            My House rules

Comment

The number of times you can interrupt actions in a given scene is limited to your dots of Celerity (arguably the discipline's coolest power).
              It's also limited by how much Vitae you can spend in a turn, so unless you have BP5, Cel 5 has no use here.

If I am not mistaking you add your dots of celerity to your defense as well, so it could mean the difference of you getting hit or not.
              That's am important part of Celerity, sure, but Athletics is only 2XP per dot, unlike Cel which is 3 (or 4 if out-of-clan)

*Exactly*. Higher levels of Celerity are very useful. I honestly am not sure where the OP was coming from with the question, save from not having understood the mechanics perhaps....
              I'd like to note that I understand the mechanics, but since Vitae is hard to come by, sprinting a street in a single turn for 15XP worth of investment doesn't seem worth it to me (and it seems like the only important thing to a lot of people here)

I'd go to the other way of saying that if you're getting a dot of Celerity, why wouldn't you be getting more?
              ...Because it's a lot of XP investment for almost no real gain back? Seriously at some point the difference between 7 or 8 defense is just not worth it.

Comment

Scene. How many times per scene you can interrupt. Not per turn.

EDIT: Nixed again, none of the active effects of celerity can activate more than once per turn.
                Last edited by Smarmy Vamp; 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smarmy Vamp View Post
                  Scene. How many times per scene you can interrupt. Not per turn.

Though there is that also.

THANKS! It's surprising how a single word clears a lot of things.

Comment

It's usefulness or lack thereof will depend a lot on your game. If you're not going to be fighting other vampires or dangerous things, or running away from said things, then you don't even need Celerity 1. Otherwise the one with the highest Celerity is more likely to win a Clash of Wills when it comes to deciding who acts first, often a point that can determine a battle. There's also the possibility of Devotions to account for.

As for the cost between Athletics and Celerity, your Athletics is worthless against guns, while your Celerity still acts as Defense.

It even has utilitarian uses, a vampire in my last game used it to rush through a security system before it could lower the security shutter to a room.

And Vitae isn't necessarily hard to come by.
                    Last edited by nofather; 04-28-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum Opus View Post

It's also limited by how much Vitae you can spend in a turn, so unless you have BP5, Cel 5 has no use here.
                      Per scene. Points per turn don't matter at all

That's am important part of Celerity, sure, but Athletics is only 2XP per dot, unlike Cel which is 3 (or 4 if out-of-clan)
                      Which means it's cheaper/the same price as dots wits/dexterity, which are the other half of the standard equation. Max out athletics, then buy celerity if you prefer.

I'd like to note that I understand the mechanics, but since Vitae is hard to come by, sprinting a street in a single turn for 15XP worth of investment doesn't seem worth it to me (and it seems like the only important thing to a lot of people here)
                      Hello, I'm standing waaay over here, unarmed, and unable to reach you in time to - ohwhoopsIjuststabbedyouintheface.

...Because it's a lot of XP investment for almost no real gain back? Seriously at some point the difference between 7 or 8 defense is just not worth it.
                      You wouldn't be saying that if you were face-to-face with a rampaging werewolf.

Comment

The difference between 7-8 defense means all the world if your opponent is attacking you with 8 dice and a weapon which has a modifier of +2 or +3 or worse (lethal quality to vamps or something).

And even then? no real gain back? Compare a vamp with Celerity 1 and Celerity 2 and how one is gonna punch the other's face a lot harder (or escape to survival a lot faster).

My Bloodline conversions
                        My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          As for the cost between Athletics and Celerity, your Athletics is worthless against guns, while your Celerity still acts as Defense.
                          This is probably the biggest benefit, in my opinion. Celerity adds to overall defense, AND applies itself against Firearms, something no other defense available to vampires does (so far as I am aware). Now, sure, vampires only take bashing damage from firearms, but they also only take bashing damage from (almost) everything else. So all other things being equal, guns are still better than swords, since they ignore a vampire's normal defense stat, allowing you to stack up that bashing damage and eventually roll it over to lethal, then finally Final Death the bloodsucker. Guns can also be used where you're relatively safe from a vampire's hand-to-hand attacks, which are usually their most deadly. With Celerity, not only do you get to apply up to five defense against firearms, as mentioned, speed boosting can make that "safe range" nonexistent. Not only can you dodge bullets, you can Quicksilver to the guy shooting at you and take his gun away. And since Celerity is mostly used by Daeva, who ALSO have Vigor, the old "run-and-punch" can get downright TERRIFYING.

My Geist GMC Updates
                          My Infinite Macabre Goodies
                          Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday Chronicle
                          Shamelessly pimping my book

Comment

Originally posted by ErikModi View Post
                            And since Celerity is mostly used by Daeva, who ALSO have Vigor, the old "run-and-punch" can get downright TERRIFYING.
                            Yes, because Mekhet do not buy Celerity with the same frequency :P

My Bloodline conversions
                            My House rules

Comment

I think Celerity 2+ is worth it. The Defense is fantastic. often times that 1 or 2 die means the difference of getting hit or not, which could mean life or death... Or when they toss a grenade in your face, you're just not there when it goes off. I love the Quicksilver reference. It's really great for what exactly celerity can do. Going first then constantly interrupting actions for up to 5 turns could sway the fight heavily in your favor.

I dont particularly think that Vitae is hard to come by unless.... you're like a 6 BP vamp ... but then celerity's usefulness is not your biggest problem. I personally haven't had a problem with telling my story teller that I need to go feed and then he/she refusing and not letting me get vitae.

Comment

Working...
                              X