Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regaining Willpower

You can gain willpower from Dirge/Mask, Touchstones etc

As a Kindred, am I right in thinking you can't get it through rest? I can't find any reference to being able to do so, only that Strix can't because they don't need rest - which made me wonder if Vampires can.

I think I might make a slight house rule in regaining willpower to make it slightly easier. My reasons for doing it is that I have some players who might play their Dirge a bit too well (for examplem in order to maximize willpower gain which could be difficult at times. Another reason is I like the idea of having a game of higher BP characters who aren't Ordo Dracul and can actually live off humans rather than lose a WP for each single Vitae they get back.

On the other hand I do want and like the idea of people paying much more attention to their dirge and mask, virtue and vice (although promises of beats will always help with that)

I know this isn't Masquerade too, but in that game where you could spend exp/points on upping your Willpower (rather than regaining lost WP) I had a whole bunch of players with very high willpower scores who still didn't spend it for fear of not getting it back quick enough (that was a ST/Player communication problem though to be honest)

How has it been in play for people? - whilst it's meant to be relatively difficult to regain WP, as so many things require it has it at all been a bit too scarce at times for comfort?

Danny James - FL Editor, Writer, & Proofreader - @AlienStoneDog
    - Onyx Path, Pinnacle, C7, TAG

Well, since vampires follow human rules whenever those have not been overwritten by vampire template rules (healing for example) I believe that you do regain one willpower when you rest.

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

Comment

I thought that might be the case but it's not stated anywhere specific under daysleep. It's very obvious that many things cost wp, but there's no easy sidebar saying x gains you wp, see page y.

Comment

Double checked. Looked up every instance of "Willpower" in blood and smoke. Since it's meant to be a standalone and it says nowhere that you regain a willpower point during rest, it looks like you're right. However, I also think that there's a chance that it's a mistake and it was forgotten to write it in. On the other side, it might be a conscious choice, which is there to encourage anchor usage.

Can anyone confirm which is it?

My Bloodline conversions
        My House rules

Comment

I'm going to allow the gaining back 1 wp a night, I think it's a fair thing. It still allows high BP to function by feeding on humans but still puts them in a position (which makes sense thematically) where they don't go around blatantly using vitae because it would be harder to regain vitae without burning wp and having to really indulge in their vices.

But hey, I'm also houseruling that you don't need to feed on supernaturals until bp 7 anyway.

And that you don't necessarily get conditions from succeeding in a humanity roll - but that's beside the point.

Comment

I think it's reasonable and i like its consequences, MeetsInTaverns, but I'd like to hear from the developers about this matter.

Comment

Vampires don't get Willpower back from resting by default. One of the things Willpower represents is strength of self, parallel to Humanity. You get it for affirming who you are, who you pretend to be, and what you're connected to. Being a vampire is spiritually exhausting, and you have to emphasize those things in order to regain what normal people gain from rest.

I say that with the following caveats:
              • When significant downtime has passed (say, you skip a week of in-character time, or conclude a significant piece of your story and pick up later), it's reasonable to just refill everyone's Willpower, making the assumption they've been out interacting with their Anchors while off-screen.
              • I don't think it does any harm to allow Kindred to regain Willpower from rest, it's just not the default for the reasons I expressed.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator

Comment

Awesome as always Rose

Comment

Makes sense, thank you Rose!

Comment

Interesting. I had thought it was a mistake. It is not the first time that the devs weren't clear enough with the rules*. I guess this means that elders that don't quite seem to retire to torpor would have to be quite active (or retain many touchstones) to continue feeding on restricted blood. Still, this means that a coil that enables a vampire to recover willpower during daysleep is now up for grabs (I might want to consider it for the mystery of civility that I'm working on).

*One example I recall was how some people came to the conclusion that the Requiem 1.0 rules allowed ghouls to remain immortal so long as they did not spend their last point of vitae. The rules did not explicitly state that the point of vitae had to be used up in the process, only that a ghoul have a point of vitae stored and was able to spend a point of willpower.

Edit: Wait. This will require some considerations as to what a sanctified priest needs to do recover willpower. They can't cast rituals without it.
                    Last edited by DivineWrath; 01-19-2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineWrath View Post
                      Edit: Wait. This will require some considerations as to what a sanctified priest needs to do recover willpower. They can't cast rituals without it.
                      Well, I assume, you change your Mask or Dirge to 'Monster' or 'Mystic' or something that you that fits the activities that you will be doing in your search, and execution of awesome mystical power. Though, it does make Cruac seem to be a better option.

My Homebrew
                      Star Wars d10
                      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
                      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Well, living your Mask or Dirge or interacting with your Touchstone should not really be that much more difficult than getting 1-5 points of Vitae, in fact it is probably easier. These activities are also less of a danger to your Humanity and the Masquerade!

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Very true! It also highlights the difference for the two Sorceries rather well.

My Homebrew
                          Star Wars d10
                          The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
                          Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Originally posted by saibot View Post
                            Well, living your Mask or Dirge or interacting with your Touchstone should not really be that much more difficult than getting 1-5 points of Vitae, in fact it is probably easier. These activities are also less of a danger to your Humanity and the Masquerade!
                            I agree I think.

Replacing 1-5 WP between sessions this way would be a damn good way for me to get folk to do some downtown for me (unless you're of the school that would replenish WP between sessions).

I think I'd like to see some more expansion though, further ideas on how touchstones can replace lost willpower. It says for 1pt that it should err on the side of the player. Of course touchstones are varied and can't come down to a hard a fast rule but what would people think the minimum for a dot of returned wp would require - calling up your TS and asking how they've been this week? Going around for tea, or following them around in a stalking kind of way waiting for a chance to meaningfully interact with them?

I know you gain WP from defending your touchstone as well. (page 88)

I think it's all very interesting, I like that WP is so very important, but I am personally going to run with WP returned during rest - else I foresee anything that drains your WP (either through your own exertions or via supernatural power) is a very potent way of defeating kindred.

I also want to encourage my players to act like their Mask/Dirge and interact with their Touchstones, but I don't want them to be preoccupied with them to the extent of the story by fear of running out of willpower and being ineffective in the game.

Comment

One compromise I would suggest is making "Willpower from rest" a Merit effect for vampires. That is like having your cake and eating it too!

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Working...
                              X