No announcement yet.

13 Licks -- The Curses of Caine in Blood &Smoke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always liked the castes (in general). They add a level of weirdness to the Masquerade clan structure, and a better sense of why clans are both families and political factions. I'd actually like it if every clan had some sort of caste system. But then, I love bloodlines, both for Masquerade and Requiem, so it might have something to do with that.

I'll see about doing a take on the Salubri tonight, though I suspect it's going to look a lot like what Dreaminggod came up with. I do have an idea about defining the castes a little differently though...

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
    Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

• Well, thanks! I'm still curious to see your Salubri (I also need to convert Watcher Valeren), I like your work, and your Banes will probably be better than mine.

My Homebrew
      Star Wars d10
      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

• If anyone is interested, I've begun to compile a more complete conversion of VtM. I'm slowly translating the Disciplines to a 5-dot with Devotions for Elder powers format. The clans are courtesy of Yossarian (barring some changes I've made). I'll be honest it's being written for my hosue world, so you'll notice some changes (The Black Hand covenant absorbed the other bits of Sabbat plus the False and True Black Hand that were worth keeping, and not taken by others Covenants. Minus the Belial's Brood, who I'm going to make a Baali run Covenant of pure Infernalists.) that may be rather specific to my brand of mash-up between the two.It, otherwise, barrows more from Masquerade than Requiem. As a note, any template changes not listed are the same as Requiem's Kindred (Kindred Senses, et al) and the more excellent rendition of the other Disicplines use VtR 2e's versions. My only house rule (that is not put in yet) is Auspex 2 has Aura Perception, using a modified version of the psychic merit. I've not added it there yet because I'm not sure which I'm using.

Otherwise, people can take apart, use or critique what they want. The link is in my sig. If anything else from my folder of things goes uncredited to their original maker, send me a PM and I'll add that it was originally yours. Thanks.
        Last edited by Dreaminggod; 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM.

My Homebrew
        Star Wars d10

Comment

• I was thinking about this the other day when Eddy posted his blog about making Humanity relevant again in V4. Converting the clan weaknesses to using Humanity as a reference stat would go a long way to fixing the problem, in my opinion. I would have commented on it, but I feel that the old V:tM system is so fundamentally broken, that fixing it would basically be just reskinning Requiem. A testament to how good Requiem is, in my view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerensky View Post
            I was thinking about this the other day when Eddy posted his blog about making Humanity relevant again in V4. Converting the clan weaknesses to using Humanity as a reference stat would go a long way to fixing the problem, in my opinion. I would have commented on it, but I feel that the old V:tM system is so fundamentally broken, that fixing it would basically be just reskinning Requiem. A testament to how good Requiem is, in my view.
            I'm interested to see how V4 differentiates itself from both Revised/V20 and Requiem, though it certainly wouldn't hurt to take a few cues from the younger sibling.

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

I'm interested to see how V4 differentiates itself from both Revised/V20 and Requiem, though it certainly wouldn't hurt to take a few cues from the younger sibling.
              One thing I desperately hope they get rid of is the other paths besides humanity. Without going into too much of a tangent in this thread, using a path completely circumvents the threat of humanity loss.

Comment

• I think that's the general idea...

Comment

• I phrased that poorly. What I meant to say was that when you can select what your degeneration triggers are, you can eliminate the points what would normally cause a rating loss. Essentially, the Path of What I Was Going to Do Anyways. A path that says helping an helpless old grandmother across the street is bad, while straight-up murdering her is okay is essentially a useless tool for roleplaying.

Comment

• Is it though? What if you encounter a situation where helping a helpless old grandmother is a tactically sound decision?

Like maybe she has access to some rare artifact, and you're trying to ingratiate yourself with her in order to get it. Suddenly, you have to be nice to this person, which totally goes against your principles.

Comment

• Also, while I'm showing my things, have my small 'conversion' for the Wan Kuei for NWoD, more based off of the Wicked Dead material. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t-C7pemXY/edit

Gui Ren, the Hungry Dead.

I was, once upon a time, going to run a game in LA, and wanted to include the other, non-Cainite, asian vampires. Not happy with most of KotE (but liking enough to want to salvage it) this was my best way to do it, for the least amount of work.

I never worked on their Dharmas and since they were all written as NPCs eye-balled the Dharmas from the book (The Dharma's took the place of Covenants, and Humanity all at once) so that isn't included. All in all, they are Clanless vampires with their Blood Potency tied to the Dharmas. They use Kindred Disciplines, and have different rules for waking up. (That's when their Chi balance is Chosen. I didn't include Balanced chi balance though.)

My Homebrew
                      Star Wars d10

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        Is it though? What if you encounter a situation where helping a helpless old grandmother is a tactically sound decision?

Like maybe she has access to some rare artifact, and you're trying to ingratiate yourself with her in order to get it. Suddenly, you have to be nice to this person, which totally goes against your principles.
                        I guess the issue I have with paths is that they are supposed to be a way that a Kindred deals with her nature in order to stave off the Beast. If a Kindred reaches Humanity 0 - Must sleep. Must feed. Must kill. How does a path that encourages killing, or any behavior that invites the Beast to the forefront over the Man, actually prevent the Beast from taking over eventually? Shouldn't an action that any humane person would do (helping the grandmother) reinforce Humanity, rather than ruin it? I know the whole tagline is "A beast I am, lest a beast I become," but ever since the Humanity revamp (heh) in 2nd edition Requiem, I can't see it any other way. One can either act like a human, which entails all the good and most of the bad behavior covered in the paths, or one can act like the Beast and lose everything to it.

I will most likely pick up V4, but I doubt I'll ever play it. Requiem scratches all of my itches. I'll stop derailing Yossarian's thread now.

Comment

• [SIDEBAR]
                          Bloodline, Clan or Caste?
                          What is the differences and separations of Clans, Bloodlines and Castes? Unlike Vampire: the Requiem the Kindred do not join Bloodlines (most of them anyways, some are eligible to be joined), but are Embraced into them. Like Requiem a Bloodline split off from a Clan and changed the Blood, however, in many ways, they act as a separate Clan. Castes on the other hand, all read as a member of their ‘Clan’.

The major deciding factor in what is a Clan, Bloodline or a Caste of the Clan is status, and Blood Sympathy. What differentiates a Bloodline from a Caste is every Caste shares Blood Sympathy with the others; Assamite Warriors, Sorcerers and Viziers each have Blood Sympathy, whereas an Anda and a Gangrel do not share Blood Sympathy, while being closer in Discipline spread, the Blood of an Anda does not read as that of a Gangrel. However, Grecian Gangrel and a Country Gangrel all share a Clan-level Blood Sympathy.

What makes a Bloodline a bloodline and not a Clan is status, and lineage. Vampires who share the Curses of Caine and control much power, along with having a lineage that stretches back to the earliest nights qualifies one as a Clan.
                          [/SIDEBAR]

Alright, this is my personal interpretation for what makes a Clan, Bloodline or Caste in my Masquiem game.

My Homebrew
                          Star Wars d10

Comment

• Suuuuuper Thread Necromancy!

In a fit of pique, I changed some things:

Setites: The bright light effect was adjusted. It was a little too harsh, and the sunlight bane is more where their (in)humanity comes into play.

Lasombra: What I had before (i.e., mortals find it easier to recognize your reflection, or lack thereof) was boring, so I made it significantly more like, but not quite, the Hollow Mekhet curse. This is definitely further from what the VtM weakness was, but, like the Tzimisce, I'm on record as finding the Lasombra weakness flavorful but not very interesting in practice.

Malkavian: This one never quite sat right with me; it reused a published Condition, and it didn't operate like any other bane. I also reflavoured it to be less that Malkavians are mentally ill, and more that they (maybe) see the world like changelings.

Appendix: Adjusted some of the Conditions

Comment

• edit: Never mind, can't read.

Comment

Working...
                              X