Converting Favorite bloodlines to 2nd edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uxas View Post
    Taurobolium (from the Galloi) allways seemed me too ritualized for a discipline. I think it could be changed to a serie of secret Crúac rituals (only known by the bloodline), and add Vigor as a fourth discipline (they have no phisical discipline currently).
    My version gives Vigor as a fourth Discipline and treats Taroubolium as a Bloodline Gift, with several Bloodline Devotions that further enhance it. Sorry it's taken me a bit to post, there were some things I wanted to touch up before I publish it.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

Problem: The level of Humanity that a Touchstone is determines its value. The lower Humanity its attached to, the more valuable it is, because you don't lose it even if you degenerate. If the idea is that they should be the last and ONLY thing that those Kindred are holding onto to keep them from becoming Draugr, that's interesting, but the mechanic is weird.

I suggest that, if they can be a Touchstone for Kindred, it's at a level equal to 10 - Humanity. So a Humanity 7 Qedesh could be up to a Humanity 3 Touchstone for a Kindred, tapping into some element of their motherly weirdness that reminds them of being Human. The lower their Humanity, the higher the level of Humanity they serve as a Touchstone. For low Humanity Qedeshah, Their own inhumanity is a harder sell for other Kindred to latch onto. Or something like that, just some food for thought.
      Good idea! I'd been struggling with trying to figure out what level of humanity they would be a touch stone for and the 10 - humanity approach would simplify that greatly.

Alternatively, I'm thinking of scrapping the devotions, as that was leading them away from being a Mekhet bloodline.

Instead I'd convert Embrocation, their bloodline discipline, to their own form of blood sorcery. It would have the Motifs of Seductive, Sensual, and Reverent, and a focus on the theme of Protection (not sure what to make the second theme, probably Divination so they can provide other kindred with guidance). As they are descended from temple prostitutes their blood magic would require temples, or other sacred spaces, to be performed. This would impose a limit on their magic such that they couldn't perform a ritual whose dots in it's highest theme exceeds their dots in Haven. Their rituals would cost vitae, like Cruac, but it would not need to be shed.

Comment

If I were doing the Qedeshah, I'd probably go:

​They can adopt any clan member. They keep their clan Disciplines.

The Bane is that when they Embrace, ghoul, or create with their blood (read: Mandragora), they roll Humanity like they were exsanguinated someone. They need to succeed for it to work. Failure means you've got a corpse, a dead plant, or a person with a Vitae addiction and no Vinculum.

Their gift is that all their Vitae expenditure advantages can be given to someone they've bitten. So long as the person maintains the bite wound, the Qedeshah can spend Vitae to heal them, to raise their attributes, and to activate Disciplines on them.

David A Hill Jr
        Freelance Writer
        Independent Game Designer

Comment

Originally posted by MachineIV View Post
          If I were doing the [FONT=Arial][SIZE=12px]The Bane is that when they Embrace, ghoul, or create with their blood (read: Mandragora), they roll Humanity like they were exsanguinated someone. They need to succeed for it to work. Failure means you've got a corpse, a dead plant, or a person with a Vitae addiction and no Vinculum.
          Their existing fluff has them as prolific practitioners of the embrace who get obsessive about "mothering" others. Making the embrace harder for them would kind of turn that on it's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyrkolash View Post

Their existing fluff has them as prolific practitioners of the embrace who get obsessive about "mothering" others. Making the embrace harder for them would kind of turn that on it's head.
            Oh damn. That's weird. I could have sworn they couldn't Embrace in 1e, that they fostered others. It's been a long time since I've read them.

(In retrospect, I guess they couldn't Embrace men. So yeah. I'd exempt for women Embraces.)

David A Hill Jr
            Freelance Writer

Comment

Oh damn. That's weird. I could have sworn they couldn't Embrace in 1e, that they fostered others. It's been a long time since I've read them.

(In retrospect, I guess they couldn't Embrace men. So yeah. I'd exempt for women Embraces.)
              Yeah, they couldn't embrace men, but they could bring them into the bloodline which made those men "Eunuchs" who couldn't embrace anyone. That fuit with the theme of the temple prostitutes the bloodline was inspired by, but always kind of contravened the "mothers to monsters" aspect of the bloodline. I'd probably swap that around in my games, making them able to embrace anyone, but only women being able to fully join the bloodline.

Also, part of their bloodline weakness was that their kiss was excruciatingly painful, which didn't really fit with either theme. That's why I tossed it for a variant of the Wanton (Daeva) Curse, having them get obsessed with those they helped rather than those they fed on. The fluff in the book talked about how obsessively nurturing they could be, but didn't provide any mechanics. Making that obsession part of the bloodline mechanically seemed appropriate to me.

I like your idea about making them able to recruit from all clans. It makes sense given the religious character of the bloodline, which made them more of a cult than a lineage. As they'd been around more than 2000 years the idea of the original bloodline cultivating out of clan converts (leading to bloodlines for each clan) makes a lot of sense. This would make them a secret, heretical preistesshood, embracing anyone they think would be better off as a vampire (part of their original fluff) and passing on their religious traditions and specialized devotions via the distaff line of their childer.

I still prefer using the bloodline gift to make the Embrace easier, at least in the case of those the Embrace would be something of a blessing for. Their original fluff had them feared and hated because their ideology explicitly rejected the second tradition, and made embracing others a right and a duty. The Healing power in their old bloodline discipline could be replicated via blood sorcery or some kind of devotion, for example:

Crimson Balm: Animalism 2 + Resilience 2 or Vigor 2, The Qedeshah mixes their blood with sacred oils creating a healing balm which can be applied to the wounds of their charges. Each point of vitae spent making the balm heals one lethal or two bashing levels of damage upon application. The balm can also add vitae to the healing expenditure for aggravated wounds.

Comment

Originally posted by CatDoom View Post
                True; I could easily see the Agonistes spreading rumors (true or otherwise) about vampires who lost their minds in torpor in order to get access to elders' memories. As for the Fog being "benign" in 1e, I can't agree; Ancient Mysteries suggests that younger vampires in the know can full on brainwash elders coming out of a long torpor because their memories are so jumbled and incomplete. It was even implied that some "orphan" neonates might actually be elders so ravaged by the Fog that they were forced to invent an entirely new (an entirely delusional) identity for themselves.
                I totally agree. I wasn't comparing first to second edition, but trying to say that losing memories wholesale (and possibly noticing the gap) is less problematic than getting your memories and identity all jumbled up.

More related to this thread, I worked out the Nburu discipline of the Adroanzi as a replacement for Animalism. When becoming an Adroanzi you would lose access to Animalism and gain the same level of Nburu instead. If you really also wanted to have Animalism powers, they could be bought as special 2 XP devotions having a Nburu prerequisite of one level higher. I posted the writeup some time ago in a thread about Of Rose and Thorn, as that was part of the inspiration, but I'll repost it soon in a proper thread to get some feedback.

EDIT: I originally decided to keep the weakness the same, but thinking about it I could maybe change the weakness so that they have to resort to violent feeding unless they spend a Willpower. I'll have to think about that.

EDIT2: Rereading the violent feeding rules, I think that is too punishing.
                Last edited by Penta; 06-30-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Here's my update to the Galloi. Special thanks to King Rob for helping me brainstorm a Nightmare Devotion and the Bathhouse Merit.

Galloi
                  Nickname: Pretties
                  Clan: Nosferatu
                  Bloodline Bane: More so than any other vampires, the Galloi look the part of the walking corpses they are. While not under the effects of the Blush of Life, Galloi apply the same penalties they suffer when interacting with humans to all social interactions, even with Kindred and Touchstones. This includes the penalties imposed by the Nosferatu’s Lonely Curse.
                  Bloodline Disciplines: Majesty, Nightmare, Obfuscate, Vigor

Taurobolium

The Taurobolium is a sort of cleansing ritual practiced by the Galloi, where a subject is bathed in a special concoction of herbs, oils, and perfumes. The exact recipe is a secret known only to the members of the bloodline, but there is one ingredient that is very well known – blood. Any character who is bathed in this special mixture, along with at least one point of the pretty’s own Vitae, is cleansed of all blemishes, scars, and other unsightly marks; for a number of nights equal to the Galloi’s Blood Potency, the anointed character’s skin becomes as flawless as porcelain. A living subject appears younger – regardless of his actual age, he looks to be in the prime of his life for as long as the Taurobolium’s invigoration lasts. A Kindred subject retains his apparent age, but benefits from the effects of the Blush of Life for the duration instead.

A Galloi can also learn Devotions that add other, additional effects to the Taurobolium. Each such Devotion has a Vitae cost, which must be added to the bath in addition to the point spent for the basic effects. The first Devotion, Enliven the Flesh, is free, learned automatically as a benefit of joining the Bloodline. Additional Devotions cost 2 experiences each, and have a prerequisite Discipline, which the Galloi must possess at 2 dots or higher in order to learn the Devotion.

Enliven the Flesh
                  The Galloi can add one additional point of her Vitae into the bath to magnify the subject’s natural beauty, granting him the benefit of the one-dot version of the Striking Looks Merit. For yet another point of Vitae, the pretty can enhance the subject’s appearance even further, leaving him unnaturally radiant and granting him the two-dot version of Striking Looks. These merits are not protected by the Sanctity of Merits rule, and are lost when the effects of the Tarubolium end.

Blessing of the Captive Eye
                  With this Devotion, the Galloi can spend a point of Willpower when performing the Tarubolium to grant a living subject the benefits of the Lost Visage, or take those benefits away from a Kindred subject. This effect lasts for as long as the subject’s appearance is altered by the Taurobolium.
                  Prerequisite: Obfuscate ŸŸ2

Cybele’s Terrible Beauty
                  At the cost of an additional point of Vitae, the Galloi can grant the subject of the Taurobolium an imposing air. Onlookers are intimidated by the subject’s sheer immaculacy and become flustered when interacting with him, imposing a -2 penalty to all rolls to resist the subject’s mundane social actions until the Taurobolium’s effects wear off.
                  Prerequisite: Nightmare ŸŸ2

Consent of the Magna Mater
                  The Galloi with this Devotion can add one additional point of Vitae to the Taurobolium to bless its subject with unnatural fertility. The next time a subject so blessed engages in sexual intercourse before the Taurobolium’s effects wear off, either they or their partner gain the First Trimester Condition, even if they would otherwise be physiologically incapable of bearing children.
                  Prerequisite: Vigor ŸŸ2

Transgression of Attis
                  By adding two additional Vitae into the Taurobolium, the Galloi can use this devotion to change the subject’s sex. This change is anatomically and physiologically complete, including reproductive organs, hormones, and bone structure. This change normally fades when the effects of Tarubolium wear off, but the subject can spend a point of Willpower to make the change permanent if they so desire.
                  Prerequisite: Majesty ŸŸ2

New Merit – Bathhouse (Ÿ1 to 5ŸŸŸŸŸ)
                  Prerequisites: Safe Place 1Ÿ, must be Galloi
                  Effect: Your character runs an establishment such as a bathhouse, massage parlor, sauna, or salon. This establishment must be tied to a Safe Place. Each week, you can access a number of Merit dots equal to your dots in Bathhouse, divided as you chose between Allies, Contacts, Resources, and Herd, representing favors brokered from your clientele in exchange for your establishment’s services.
                  Drawback: In order to keep your regulars coming back, you must give them special attention. Each week, you must engage in at least minor social interactions with your clients in order to gain the benefits of this Merit. Occasionally, your clients may request special services, such as the Taurobolium.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                    Here's my update to the Galloi. Special thanks to King Rob for helping me brainstorm a Nightmare Devotion and the Bathhouse Merit.

Galloi
                    Bloodline Bane: More so than any other vampires, the Galloi look the part of the walking corpses they are. While not under the effects of the Blush of Life, Galloi apply the same penalties they suffer when interacting with humans to all social interactions, even with Kindred and Touchstones. This includes the penalties imposed by the Nosferatu’s Lonely Curse.

Taurobolium

The Taurobolium is a sort of cleansing ritual practiced by the Galloi, where a subject is bathed in a special concoction of herbs, oils, and perfumes. The exact recipe is a secret known only to the members of the bloodline, but there is one ingredient that is very well known – blood. Any character who is bathed in this special mixture, along with at least one point of the pretty’s own Vitae, is cleansed of all blemishes, scars, and other unsightly marks; for a number of nights equal to the Galloi’s Blood Potency, the anointed character’s skin becomes as flawless as porcelain. A living subject appears younger – regardless of his actual age, he looks to be in the prime of his life for as long as the Taurobolium’s invigoration lasts. A Kindred subject retains his apparent age, but benefits from the effects of the Blush of Life for the duration instead.

A Galloi can also learn Devotions that add other, additional effects to the Taurobolium. Each such Devotion has a Vitae cost, which must be added to the bath in addition to the point spent for the basic effects. The first Devotion, Enliven the Flesh, is free, learned automatically as a benefit of joining the Bloodline. Additional Devotions cost 2 experiences each, and have a prerequisite Discipline, which the Galloi must possess at 2 dots or higher in order to learn the Devotion.

Enliven the Flesh
                    The Galloi can add one additional point of her Vitae into the bath to magnify the subject’s natural beauty, granting him the benefit of the one-dot version of the Striking Looks Merit. For yet another point of Vitae, the pretty can enhance the subject’s appearance even further, leaving him unnaturally radiant and granting him the two-dot version of Striking Looks. These merits are not protected by the Sanctity of Merits rule, and are lost when the effects of the Tarubolium end.

With this Devotion, the Galloi can spend a point of Willpower when performing the Tarubolium to grant a living subject the benefits of the Lost Visage, or take those benefits away from a Kindred subject. This effect lasts for as long as the subject’s appearance is altered by the Taurobolium.

Cybele’s Terrible Beauty
                    At the cost of an additional point of Vitae, the Galloi can grant the subject of the Taurobolium an imposing air. Onlookers are intimidated by the subject’s sheer immaculacy and become flustered when interacting with him, imposing a -2 penalty to all rolls to resist the subject’s mundane social actions until the Taurobolium’s effects wear off.

The Galloi with this Devotion can add one additional point of Vitae to the Taurobolium to bless its subject with unnatural fertility. The next time a subject so blessed engages in sexual intercourse before the Taurobolium’s effects wear off, either they or their partner gain the First Trimester Condition, even if they would otherwise be physiologically incapable of bearing children.

Transgression of Attis
                    By adding two additional Vitae into the Taurobolium, the Galloi can use this devotion to change the subject’s sex. This change is anatomically and physiologically complete, including reproductive organs, hormones, and bone structure. This change normally fades when the effects of Tarubolium wear off, but the subject can spend a point of Willpower to make the change permanent if they so desire.

Effect: Your character runs an establishment such as a bathhouse, massage parlor, sauna, or salon. This establishment must be tied to a Safe Place. Each week, you can access a number of Merit dots equal to your dots in Bathhouse, divided as you chose between Allies, Contacts, Resources, and Herd, representing favors brokered from your clientele in exchange for your establishment’s services.
                    Drawback: In order to keep your regulars coming back, you must give them special attention. Each week, you must engage in at least minor social interactions with your clients in order to gain the benefits of this Merit. Occasionally, your clients may request special services, such as the Taurobolium.
                    I really like this.

I'd personally pump up Cybele's Terrible Beauty a bit. It feels a little weak, considering it only affects mundane social actions. Even if it's just starting them down a Door or something, a little boost could be nice. I'd also probably let Enliven the Flesh add a dot of Striking Looks, which can take it to Advanced Striking Looks if they already have 2 dots.

(From Beast:

Striking Looks (Advanced, ••)
                    Prerequisite: Beast, Striking Looks ••
                    Effect: Your character’s appearance is a composite of iconic imagery throughout the ages. If your character is beautiful, he’s the example of beauty throughout the minds of millions. If she’s frightening, she’s utterly terrifying on a primordial level. When her chosen looks apply, apply the rote quality to the action in addition to the normal +2 for Striking Looks.)

Love the rest of it. Super cool. I love the idea of giving and taking away Lost Visage. Love the gender swap. Love the pregnancy gift.

David A Hill Jr
                    Freelance Writer

Comment

I really like this.

I'd personally pump up Cybele's Terrible Beauty a bit. It feels a little weak, considering it only affects mundane social actions. Even if it's just starting them down a Door or something, a little boost could be nice. I'd also probably let Enliven the Flesh add a dot of Striking Looks, which can take it to Advanced Striking Looks if they already have 2 dots.

(From Beast:

Striking Looks (Advanced, ••)
                      Prerequisite: Beast, Striking Looks ••
                      Effect: Your character’s appearance is a composite of iconic imagery throughout the ages. If your character is beautiful, he’s the example of beauty throughout the minds of millions. If she’s frightening, she’s utterly terrifying on a primordial level. When her chosen looks apply, apply the rote quality to the action in addition to the normal +2 for Striking Looks.)

Love the rest of it. Super cool. I love the idea of giving and taking away Lost Visage. Love the gender swap. Love the pregnancy gift.
                      Thank you! I haven't read Beast yet, but that would work brilliantly for Enliven the Flesh. Cybele's Terrible Beauty could definitely be beefed up a bit. Maybe it should reduce their effective Composure. That way it applies to most mundane and supernatural social resistances and contests, and potentially reduces Doors.

Comment

Thank you! I haven't read Beast yet, but that would work brilliantly for Enliven the Flesh. Cybele's Terrible Beauty could definitely be beefed up a bit. Maybe it should reduce their effective Composure. That way it applies to most mundane and supernatural social resistances and contests, and potentially reduces Doors.
                        Definitely prefer that. The Composure reduction lets you couple it with a lot of other effects. Which preserves and bolster's the Galloi's function as a support engine.

David A Hill Jr
                        Freelance Writer

Comment

Updated!

Galloi

Taurobolium

Enliven the Flesh
                          The Galloi can add one additional point of her Vitae into the bath to magnify the subject’s natural beauty, granting him one dot of Striking Looks. If the subject already had Striking Looks, this Devotion increases it to two dots. If the subject already had two dots, he gains the Advanced version. These Merits are not protected by the Sanctity of Merits rule, and are lost when the effects of the Tarubolium end.

Cybele’s Terrible Beauty
                          At the cost of an additional point of Vitae, the Galloi can grant the subject of the Taurobolium an imposing air until the Taurobolium’s effects wear off. Onlookers are intimidated by the subject’s sheer immaculacy and become flustered when interacting with him, reducing their effective Composure by 2 dots.

Transgression of Attis

Comment

Transgression of Attis
                            Excellent conversion of one of my favourite bloodlines. But I think that just a point of willpower fo a such permanent radical change is too cheap. I'd change that to a willpower dot.

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Uxas View Post
                              Excellent conversion of one of my favourite bloodlines. But I think that just a point of willpower fo a such permanent radical change is too cheap. I'd change that to a willpower dot.
                              Thank you very much! Personally, I thought a point of Willpower was more in line with 2e design philosophy than a Willpower dot would have been. 2e has all but removed Willpower dot costs from the game, with only a few exceptions like Mandate from the Masses, and even those only temporarily restrict access to the Willpower dot. If you want to make the cost a bit steeper, I would recommend allowing the subject to spend a point of Willpower and mark the box with an x, and as long as they maintain the altered features they cannot regain that Willpower. But in my opinion, the spectrum slide from Transgression of Attis is more on the order of a vampire making changes to their physical appearance stick through the Cleansing than the order of Mandate from the Masses. There's no real mechanical advantage to it, so the only reason a player would even want to make the change permanent is if they specifically wanted to play a trans character (otherwise they would have just played a character of the sex they switched to in the first place). I really don't want to tax players who want to play trans characters a willpower dot to transition.
                              Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-01-2015, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X