Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd ed Julii clan; how would you crunch their Clan Weakness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd ed Julii clan; how would you crunch their Clan Weakness?

So, we all know that the Venture are usurpers to the throne of "The Leaders Amongst the Damned", and that the Julii once held that position. We also know that, mechanically, there was very little difference between the two Clans, to the point that even in-universe it's commonly assumed that the Ventrue mutated/evolved from the Julii, or that they're a Julii bloodline which has outbred its former progenitor somehow.

The only difference between the two, in 1e, was in their Clan Weakness; even then, there was a strong thematic link between the two:
    * Julii: Suffer a -2 penalty to Degeneration rolls, making them more likely to lose Humanity when they commit a sin.
    * Ventrue: Suffer a -2 penalty to Madness rolls (that is, the Humanity roll made to avoid acquiring a Derangement after failing a Degeneration roll), making them more likely to be driven insane by their slipping Humanity.

In 2e, due to the changes in mechanics, the Ventrue weakness was changed to having their first Touchstone be tied to Humanity 7, causing them to lose that Touchstone when their Humanity dropped to 6.

So, since all I need to do to play a Julii vampire is to switch out the Ventrue weakness for the Julii one, I was wondering how people think I should go about converting the Julii clan weakness mechanically from 1e to 2e?

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
    Given that the five main clans have a default bane and an elder bane, I wonder if we can interpret the Strigid Curse is an elder bane. After all, the two Julii we meet in TYoN are survivors of Rome. The curse is more a fact about the Strix's hatred than a fact about the Julii. Maybe the Strix particularly hate the Roman Julii.

Then again, if it's the default bane, it'll allow for playing a neonate or ancilla Julii.

It could go either way depending on a ST's (&/or player group) preferences for a game.

I like just slighty different sets like Julii x Ventrue (x Gangrel) in that it opens room for a ST to come up with some fun "you're not quite the monster you claim/think you are" stealth dark secrets or reveals, among other things. Once did something along lines using the Khaibit's discipline set to make another, more obscure clan that could spawn shadow manipulators of their own through "convergent evolution" of sorts.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DubiousRuffian
    replied
    Given that the five main clans have a default bane and an elder bane, I wonder if we can interpret the Strigid Curse is an elder bane. After all, the two Julii we meet in TYoN are survivors of Rome. The curse is more a fact about the Strix's hatred than a fact about the Julii. Maybe the Strix particularly hate the Roman Julii.

Then again, if it's the default bane, it'll allow for playing a neonate or ancilla Julii.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Very true, but the Julii bane is implied to be Strix-imposed. It might not actually be their original one.

Leave a comment:

• Aurumae
    replied
    I really like the mechanics given in Thousand Years of Night for the Julii but it does seem to clearly indicate a move away from the idea that the Julii are the progenitors of the Ventrue. They now have slightly different disciplines, slightly different favoured attributes, and a very different bane.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    And the mechanics of their TYoN weakness are simple enough to be worth quoting here. All pools to resist ephemerals, including Strix, are capped by their Humanity.

Leave a comment:

• Howalt
    replied
    Ah, cool. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Way, way too punishing, imo. Any mid to high BP Julii would have to stabilise on a specific Humanity level by simply never facing breaking points at lower levels since it's a mere one-in-ten chance they don't fall.
    Also, Julii had an update in Thousand Years of Night.
    Last edited by Tessie; 05-30-2019, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Howalt
    replied
    To thread necro or not to thread necro... Figuring we're all necrophiles, in some sense.

What do people think of this one:

The Beast's Curse
    Detachment rolls are penalised by a Julii's Blood Potency. Any failure on a Detachment rolls is considered dramatic.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Finally finished my full Julii treatment. Check it out.
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 01-20-2016, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TwoDSix
    replied
    Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
    I tied my houseruled Ventrue Curse to the recovery of Willpower you get from Touchstones, instead of being automatic it involved a roll of Humanity. On a success they recovered a point (if that was the usual gain) or one per success (in case they would normally completely refilled the pool).

For the Julii you may go in other direction, not necesarily make it similar to the Ventrue one. Think what's the defining them of them and work from there. I would say is decadence.
    I like this, but I personally just port the Masquerade weakness over (have I mentioned how much I like Yossarian's 13 Licks?). I may try using it if I ever run a game again.

Because I use the 'picky feeder' weakness for Ventrue I'd personally go for some form of variety-based bane for the Julii. I like the overfeeding idea, although I think I'd rather limit the amount of vitae they can get from a single person to their humanity (so they have trouble feeding discretely).

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by Thorbes View Post

Ah, yeah,forgot about that. They tended to gorge in Vitae and vomit to keep feeding, very worst roman stereotype stuff.
    It was really fitting, and I wanted to use it for my writeup, but ultimately it didn't quite suit the needs of my game.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

I loved the one you wrote on the old forums where they had a risk of over feeding.
    Ah, yeah,forgot about that. They tended to gorge in Vitae and vomit to keep feeding, very worst roman stereotype stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by MCN View Post
    Personally, I would keep the Touchstone focus, but switch from the 1xp tax to making it harder to relate to the Touchstones. As it is, the Touchstones help resist frenzy and one or two other things. I don't have the book right now, but I'd inflict penalties (based on humanity level) to having those touchstone effects so they might fail more often.
    The reason I have them unable to benefit from a single Touchstone but get the full benefit from multiple is that they can't easily empathize with their lessers (i.e. humans) on an individual basis, so they have to surround themselves with multiple subjects whose behavior they can mimic.

Leave a comment:

• MCN
    replied
    Personally, I would keep the Touchstone focus, but switch from the 1xp tax to making it harder to relate to the Touchstones. As it is, the Touchstones help resist frenzy and one or two other things. I don't have the book right now, but I'd inflict penalties (based on humanity level) to having those touchstone effects so they might fail more often.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X