X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire Redfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post
    I almost forgot - thank you for posting this. I may indeed use it.
    I can't be sure without Rose or someone coming in to verify, but Coil of Blood didn't make it into the core 2E stuff. I often wonder if it's because of the fact that it makes Ordo Dracul elders singularly immune to one of the biggest drawbacks of increased Blood Potency. Whether this is a feature or a bug is up to individual interpretation, but it makes them able to persist where other elders simply choose to diminish in power through torpor.

In my own setting, the Prince of the area is an ancient Ordo Dracul, one of the oldest active vampires in the Western Hemisphere and one of the most powerful, because of this. However, since I'm not sure if that power is intentionally left out or downplayed, I assume at the moment that it's because he preys on spirits, some of his Lupine allies, or some other, more mysterious method.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
    Personally, I've come to imagine the Methuselah equivalent as having a kind of... distributed presence, through the vitae of nearby kindred. Either through continued presence, or possibly placing their own vitae in the target, a growing number of kindred serve as both a metaphysical refuge (not necessarily a perfect one) against diablerie and final death, a source of metaphysical power and information, and unwitting tools waiting for only the faintest nudge in the right direction. Think PC transitioning into cloud.

This would of course allow it to perform terrifying acts of deception and control in any given city. I can only imagine that the most stable state for such an ecosystem would be either total absence, or total infection ]:-)

This is an interesting idea but I am not sure I understand it properly. It kind of reminds me of Tzimisce toward the end of Masquerade's run.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Hang on, did anybody mention the Coil of Blood's 2nd-tier benefit? I know it's first edition, but it seems relevant, seeing as it lifts feeding restrictions. If anybody is interested, I also ported it to the new 2E format:

Coil of Blood:
    Blood Sleeps Slowly: The Dragon’s undead body doesn’t demand as much Vitae to animate itself as do those of other, less enlightened Kindred. The player need spend only one Vitae for his character to wake for a number of nights equal to the vampire’s Resolve + 1. So, a Kindred with a Resolve of 2 loses a Vitae every third night for rising.
    •• Eternal Blush: The Blush of Life requires half the normal Vitae, meaning that you must only spend Vitae with every other use of Blush of Life
    ••• Blood of Beasts: No matter what the vampire’s Blood Potency is, she can take sustenance from animals and humans without spending Willpower, although each category below what the Dragon's Blood Potency demands halves the Vitae yielded, rounded down (So a BP 8 vampire feeding 6 lethal damage would get only 3 Vitae from a human, 1 from an animal).
    •••• Quickening of the Blood: The Kindred can choose not to spend Vitae to awaken for a night, instead spending a point of Willpower. This is usually a tool to remain active when food is sparse or dangerous, but more than one Dragon has used it to stay in his lab experimenting for longer without needing to hunt, so he can run just one more test. Regardless of your Resolve, spending Willpower to remain awake only keeps you up 1 night, ignoring Blood Sleeps Slowly.
    ••••• Perspicacious Blood: The character gains one and a half times as much Vitae from a feeding upon a human as normal(after Blood of Beasts is factored in, if applicable), and receives double the Vitae consumed from Kindred or other supernatural vessels.

I almost forgot - thank you for posting this. I may indeed use it.

Leave a comment:

• Hastur00
    replied
    Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post
    whereas BP10 elders need to remain active and maintain sources of vitae so that they wouldn't have to go into torpor. I tend to think they'd have the ability to do this in sufficiently large domains but I also think there couldn't be more than a handful of such creatures. But from there it goes down to BP6.
    Personally, I've come to imagine the Methuselah equivalent as having a kind of... distributed presence, through the vitae of nearby kindred. Either through continued presence, or possibly placing their own vitae in the target, a growing number of kindred serve as both a metaphysical refuge (not necessarily a perfect one) against diablerie and final death, a source of metaphysical power and information, and unwitting tools waiting for only the faintest nudge in the right direction. Think PC transitioning into cloud.

This would of course allow it to perform terrifying acts of deception and control in any given city. I can only imagine that the most stable state for such an ecosystem would be either total absence, or total infection ]:-)

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    It was mentioned early in the thread and it was pointed out that it was not in 2e.

Leave a comment:

• malonkey1
    replied
    Hang on, did anybody mention the Coil of Blood's 2nd-tier benefit? I know it's first edition, but it seems relevant, seeing as it lifts feeding restrictions. If anybody is interested, I also ported it to the new 2E format:

Coil of Blood:
    Blood Sleeps Slowly: The Dragon’s undead body doesn’t demand as much Vitae to animate itself as do those of other, less enlightened Kindred. The player need spend only one Vitae for his character to wake for a number of nights equal to the vampire’s Resolve + 1. So, a Kindred with a Resolve of 2 loses a Vitae every third night for rising.
    •• Eternal Blush: The Blush of Life requires half the normal Vitae, meaning that you must only spend Vitae with every other use of Blush of Life
    ••• Blood of Beasts: No matter what the vampire’s Blood Potency is, she can take sustenance from animals and humans without spending Willpower, although each category below what the Dragon's Blood Potency demands halves the Vitae yielded, rounded down (So a BP 8 vampire feeding 6 lethal damage would get only 3 Vitae from a human, 1 from an animal).
    •••• Quickening of the Blood: The Kindred can choose not to spend Vitae to awaken for a night, instead spending a point of Willpower. This is usually a tool to remain active when food is sparse or dangerous, but more than one Dragon has used it to stay in his lab experimenting for longer without needing to hunt, so he can run just one more test. Regardless of your Resolve, spending Willpower to remain awake only keeps you up 1 night, ignoring Blood Sleeps Slowly.
    ••••• Perspicacious Blood: The character gains one and a half times as much Vitae from a feeding upon a human as normal(after Blood of Beasts is factored in, if applicable), and receives double the Vitae consumed from Kindred or other supernatural vessels.
    Last edited by malonkey1; 10-15-2015, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Actually, speaking of breath drinking, does it bother anyone else that the power becomes totally useless after blood potency 7, as written? It just doesn't seem right to do that with something a player has paid for.
    I haven't read the book but it does seem problematic. Probably easy to house rule.

I suspect most players don't get to BP8 though.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Certainly. Page 89, right-hand column, about halfway down the page.

And note that it's one willpower point per vitae, so it's not exactly cheap. And it also works for animal blood if you're a blood potency 3+.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So at Blood Potency 6+ vampires need to drink other vampires? But they can consume still humans if they paid Willpower? Could you point me where are those rules in 2ED Requiem corebook?

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Actually, speaking of breath drinking, does it bother anyone else that the power becomes totally useless after blood potency 7, as written? It just doesn't seem right to do that with something a player has paid for.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Yeah, that was my starting point but I was looking for stuff beyond that - which the posters in this thread have quite kindly provided.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Vampires who need to feast on vampires just bite the bullet.

In the fiction for Danse Macabre, Prince Maxwell has finally reached that point. He tried stealing the secrets of the Ordo Dracul so he could lower his Blood Potency without going into torpor, but it failed. So he just finds a vampire who, I believe, he thinks won't try to take advantage, and keeps him as a sort of blood doll.

Even with the increase of maximum Vitae held, vampires don't need to be topped off constantly, you can go a long way with just a couple drinks a week. Some vampires will just take the Vinculum and drink from a favored Kindred, some will try to avoid it and spread their drinking around or use an ability or plan to help with that.
    Last edited by nofather; 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    The setting (for me) loses something if you have significant numbers of elders feeding off zombies or ghosts or whatever. It's a thing some elders do, but I don't see it as something that very many elders do.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Although the Breath eating discipline will need to be tweaked to account for how the feeding restrictions have shifted. And also that breath drinking is a Strix thing now.

Leave a comment:

• StSword
    replied
    There's also breath and liver eating from Mythologies,and a covenant in Danse Macabre that can leech energy off of necromantically aligned supers for blood points, and the ghost eating merit in book of the dead.

As for unnatural affinity, it works with blue book supernaturals as well, heck you could even take it for some of the other forms of vampires from Wicked Dead or sons of phobos from blood sorcery. Unnatural affinity- zombies is a legit option, and there are bloodlines who can make zombies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X