Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    I am mostly curious as to how feeding would be handled without Unnatural Affinity. I'm asking from the perspective of populating a city with Kindred, rather than from the perspective of playing an elder. It seems a bit odd if every elder has unnatural affinity.

Where are Invictus oaths found? In the Invictus book?

Leave a comment:

• malonkey1
    replied
    I think the safest way to keep an elder vamp fed is for them to take the Unnatural Affinity merit and party with some open-minded Sin-Eaters. I'm sure a few of those guys wouldn't mind some biting, as long as the elder doesn't mind a few second-hand highs.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    "The trick is to remember that you don't need to breathe."

Leave a comment:

• Penta
    replied
    In second edition, I think acquiring Kindred Vitae safely is the easiest for Invictus. They have multiple oaths that allow Vitae transfer without a risk of being blood bonded. Using the Oath of Fealty, a vassal might draw Vitae from his liege. The other way around, the Oath of Serfdom allows the liege to feed safely on his vassal, to allow him to tithe blood for the use of the liege's land.

Protean also allows avoiding blood bonds, if the vampire merges with the soil and has someone sprinkle Vitae upon the ground. Although this lets most Gangrel avoid blood bonds, they still need to find someone willing to do so though.

The Ordo Dracul also still has it's methods, but they are more risky than the above two. With four dots in the Mystery of the Voivode, the Dragon gain resistance against being blood bonded by those he has blood bonded already. But this is only a resistance, not immunity. Also, this Mystery has a Scale that allows the washing away of Blood Bonds, through a method tantamount to torture.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    There is a book about elders that exists now or there's going to be a book in the near future?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    There's a book about elders that should expand on just these things.

But keep in mind some probably have the Unnatural Affinity merit, allowing them to take their Vitae from ghosts or sin-eaters or prometheans, instead of Kindred. Another option that would help them avoid the blood bond would simply be finding lone vampires and draining them dry. Preferably after manipulating them into gluttony.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Originally posted by Bram_pc View Post
    I guess there are several ways of looking at that aspect of Blood Potency. You could separate the approach into covenant-based, for example: Ordo doesn't seem to have such a problem, mainly because it takes a lot of time to get to BP 6, and by then you can learn a coil to lessen the requirements (i.e. dring human blood instead of vampire blood), Lancea and Circle could approach it as part of their observances, for exapmple: once a week each member of the congregation has to donate 1 vitae to the church elder to prove their devotion, similar in the Cirlce. Invictus seems the easiest, since as a liege you can simply demant tribute in blood, and employ an oath to lessen the danger of blood bond, and in case of the Carthians? Maybe a law that says that as elders in the covenant are the strongest defenders of their rule, and because of that they deserve blood of the weaker Carthians as a way of ensuring the strenght of the entire covenant?
    Another approach would be clan-based, for example, each clan would have their own ways of ensuring the survival of the elders, with different methods and reasoning, so that the clan as a whole could stay strong and relevant in that domain. I guess it would depend on which aspect of the all night society is more important in your game, clan or covenant. These are just examples of something I could come up on the fly, but if there is truly no way to get vitae, you could always take a nap for a hundred years
    I appreciate this response, but I am less concerned with those who turn to torpor to manage their dietary requirements. I am most interested in elders who can remain active and the measures they might turn to in order to do so.

Clan-based is less important to me than covenant based. I would suppose in some domains clans might be organized like this but it strikes me as unlikely to be a common thing.

How does one use oaths to lessen the danger of blood bond?

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    That coil has gone in second edition, as far as I'm aware. On the other hand, elders can feed off mortals and even animals now. It just takes a bit more effort. So as long as they can keep their willpower topped up they can manage ok.

The other solution is revenants. In a way the Neglatu have it easiest. Their brood can process the mortal blood for them, and in return they get to retain 6+ vitae a night, minus whatever their lord takes for themselves. A regular kindred could set up a similar system, but it won't be as easy.
    Yeah, the coil that removes dietary restrictions is gone in 2e. Feeding on mortals does seem useful on a limited basis, but we're talking about kindred with potentially fairly large blood pools who might find they need more than one blood point in a night.

Neglatu are an interesting, if limited, solution.

The thing that struck me is how BP10 elders would be very different from antediluvians. Antediluvians remain in torpor, whereas BP10 elders need to remain active and maintain sources of vitae so that they wouldn't have to go into torpor. I tend to think they'd have the ability to do this in sufficiently large domains but I also think there couldn't be more than a handful of such creatures. But from there it goes down to BP6.

One WP/night isn't so bad, as long as the elder can act according to their mask and/or dirge to keep it topped up, but I just imagine that they have greater needs on occasion.
    Last edited by Resplendent Fire; 10-12-2015, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    That coil has gone in second edition, as far as I'm aware. On the other hand, elders can feed off mortals and even animals now. It just takes a bit more effort. So as long as they can keep their willpower topped up they can manage ok.

The other solution is revenants. In a way the Neglatu have it easiest. Their brood can process the mortal blood for them, and in return they get to retain 6+ vitae a night, minus whatever their lord takes for themselves. A regular kindred could set up a similar system, but it won't be as easy.

Leave a comment:

• Bram_pc
    replied
    I guess there are several ways of looking at that aspect of Blood Potency. You could separate the approach into covenant-based, for example: Ordo doesn't seem to have such a problem, mainly because it takes a lot of time to get to BP 6, and by then you can learn a coil to lessen the requirements (i.e. dring human blood instead of vampire blood), Lancea and Circle could approach it as part of their observances, for exapmple: once a week each member of the congregation has to donate 1 vitae to the church elder to prove their devotion, similar in the Cirlce. Invictus seems the easiest, since as a liege you can simply demant tribute in blood, and employ an oath to lessen the danger of blood bond, and in case of the Carthians? Maybe a law that says that as elders in the covenant are the strongest defenders of their rule, and because of that they deserve blood of the weaker Carthians as a way of ensuring the strenght of the entire covenant?
    Another approach would be clan-based, for example, each clan would have their own ways of ensuring the survival of the elders, with different methods and reasoning, so that the clan as a whole could stay strong and relevant in that domain. I guess it would depend on which aspect of the all night society is more important in your game, clan or covenant. These are just examples of something I could come up on the fly, but if there is truly no way to get vitae, you could always take a nap for a hundred years

Leave a comment:

Working...
X