X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resplendent Fire
    started a topic Logistics of Blood Potency 6+

Logistics of Blood Potency 6+

I was trying to work out how elders fit into vampiric society - how they feed, specifically. Obviously their needs become potentially greater as BP increases. But I am curious about how they manage the need for kindred blood. Do they flock to heavily populated domains? Do they spend time picking someone to be bound to so they can at least control that factor? Do some of them choose each other in "perversion?" Would the truly powerful form cults among the kindred to supply them with blood? How do people handle/explain this aspect?

• hopeluvjoy
    replied
    This all depends a lot on the elder to be honest. The last elder that showed up in a game of mine Benedict tended to use his political power to minimize the danger. Since he was an unaligned but pretty powerful due to sheer age and general connections to the right people. He tended to do things like wait for a new vampire to screw up and make a masquerade violation then send them an offer to clean it all up and smooth it over in exchange for blood drinking. Or offer to give one faction some support if they are willing to send a few new Neonates up to his mansion for a good forever or so.

There is also things like being the sheriff of a city. In which case you can probably just tell the prince you need some lunch. Given in a lot of cities you'll be his arm into the city I can't see many disagreeing to set you up as long as you are competent enough. There is all the reason to keep you outside the blood bond as well because the higher it goes to once person the more he risks the sheriff getting a third level bond to someone and getting screwed over massively.

There is also the home invasion style where you don't have political connections don't give a hoot about the city you are in and just burst down the doors to other vampires home and drain them dry like some vampiric bogyman from hell. That feels more like a nomad thing to me though and tends to lead to someone either hiding very well or getting out of dodge with rapid speed.

This is assuming there is no real cheating going on. Which is unlikely elders to me tend to be the people who cheated the most to get where they are today.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiden View Post
    I went with the simplest solution for one of the elders in the background of my game: She's in a mutual blood bond with her retainer, whose blood is thin enough to feed on mortals. Then she feeds on him. It's a very codependent thing, though, and she's regarded as eccentric at best by her closest supporters.

Ah, perversion. Always a good option.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    I went with the simplest solution for one of the elders in the background of my game: She's in a mutual blood bond with her retainer, whose blood is thin enough to feed on mortals. Then she feeds on him. It's a very codependent thing, though, and she's regarded as eccentric at best by her closest supporters.

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
    The Barrett Commission has begun an immediate investigation into the large public push by Mayor de Blasio to increase banana and broccoli consumption.
    At which point they discover de Blaiso owns stock in Chiquita Banana and Monsanto contributed 6 million dollars to his election campaign and there's a new batch of genetically modified broccoli they want to unload on the public.

Leave a comment:

• malonkey1
    replied
    Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
    Instead of unnatural affinity you could make it that each of these elders has a peculiar bane/quirk where they may personally only gain sustenance off humans with a certain blood type (ie. AB negative) and must also contain a minimum percentage of an element like potassium or iron.
    The Barrett Commission has begun an immediate investigation into the large public push by Mayor de Blasio to increase banana and broccoli consumption.

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    Instead of unnatural affinity you could make it that each of these elders has a peculiar bane/quirk where they may personally only gain sustenance off humans with a certain blood type (ie. AB negative) and must also contain a minimum percentage of an element like potassium or iron.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    I should add that the majority of elders in this thing I am working on almost certainly go into torpor to manage their dietary needs. I'm not rejecting that - nor the ability to feed from other supernaturals.

I have a few - like three - in this city I am statting up who require kindred blood. Two are Ordo Dracul and the third is Invictus and basically leases out her feeding grounds in exchange for "red rent." There are a handful of other elders who have been in torpor until the past few decades and who can survive on mortal blood. I haven't gone for unnatural affinity because it brings up questions I am not really prepared to answer, although it is certainly a viable solution, at least during the time when the elder has access to such creatures to feed upon, whether for mutual benefit or some other means.

Leave a comment:

• Badinplaid75
    replied
    Your right, it's your game. I just thinking is all. Using Unnatural Affinity(more for rules than anything else) plus maybe retainer merit(treat more as a herd) would show that elder strives to keep up with apperances. It's more of a quick solution but a lot of the previous mentions are duly worth noting.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    I don't think any of that follows. A high blood potency elder would necessarily have to remain active in order to also remain fed. Also, humanity governs how easily Kindred relate to humans, not blood potency. A BP10 kindred with humanity of 4-6 would still be able to interact with humans.

As for why an elder might be avoiding torpor in the first place, I'd ask why should torpor be mandated at all in the first place? I mean there are good reasons to go into torpor but there are also good reasons not to.

This isn't really what I'm looking for, and clashes with what I perceive to be how kindred actually work in Requiem so eh.

Leave a comment:

• Badinplaid75
    replied
    Well thinking on it with just 2ed rules I really can't see a elder vamp maitianing the dance as those of lower BP of 5 or less. 6, 7 BP the vamp is doing tricks to keep things going the way it see it. By 8 or 9 this same vampire been feeding off the locals for quite awhile and now it starting to look at it is food. By BP 10 it's a supernatural force of its own, it's presence itself would probably disturb local area it dwells in. The big question to ask is why is it avoiding torpor in the first place.

How the elder would see things.
    BP 6-7 just fine meal to get by on the long nights every so often. Something to recharge the passions.

BP 8-9 surrounded by food preying upon lowly and weak of the All Night Society. The Beast hunger calls. Vampires are hamburger and mortals are veggies.

By BP 10 there is nothing but supernaturals to feed on. Mortal concerns are so far removed from it they are meaningless.

To those of BP 5 and less view.

6-7 BP: Being asked to contribute to something they been told is a perversion and wrong. Trust starts to fade.

BP 8-9: Fear starts to spread when fellow Kindred start go missing or memories conflict with others memories.

BP 10 hunker down until evil omens, strange weather patterns subside and ill feeling goes a ways.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Ah, thank you for the elaboration. That is an interesting take.

Leave a comment:

• Hastur00
    replied
    Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post
    This is an interesting idea but I am not sure I understand it properly. It kind of reminds me of Tzimisce toward the end of Masquerade's run.
    Kind of. It seems like a repeating theme for evolved or high-level templates is proximity to or communion with their "power source"; mages rummage around in the universe's source code, werewolves deal with increasingly high-level spirits, changelings, the Wyld, and the Gentry, and so on.

The most literal interpretation of that trend is that a vampire gets close to Vitae, close to the Curse... as power grows, so does the ability to affect blood sympathy as the vampire slowly transitions from an ordinary individual vampire to an entity that blood-rides every vampire between them and city limits. Moreover, it organically transitions into the kind of elder-play game that you would expect from such an ancient. Instead of politics, or mortal dupes, or Covenant vs. Covenant, this creature would have reached the point where it would eventually only have to resort to these as part of a more complicated, small-scale goal- with the ability to flex an ever-increasing number of unwitting vampire puppets at will, the only opponent for an even moderately developed Methuselah would be another Methuselah, or the strix themselves, at least as far as vampire society goes.

Leave a comment:

• Resplendent Fire
    replied
    Originally posted by Claire Redfield View Post

I can't be sure without Rose or someone coming in to verify, but Coil of Blood didn't make it into the core 2E stuff. I often wonder if it's because of the fact that it makes Ordo Dracul elders singularly immune to one of the biggest drawbacks of increased Blood Potency. Whether this is a feature or a bug is up to individual interpretation, but it makes them able to persist where other elders simply choose to diminish in power through torpor.

In my own setting, the Prince of the area is an ancient Ordo Dracul, one of the oldest active vampires in the Western Hemisphere and one of the most powerful, because of this. However, since I'm not sure if that power is intentionally left out or downplayed, I assume at the moment that it's because he preys on spirits, some of his Lupine allies, or some other, more mysterious method.
    I think it probably was left out for that reason - at least that was my assumption.

There is a scale in 2e that lets Ordo Dracul make one person drinkable without penalty. So your Prince could prepare a person to feed from them as needed and still get around the feeding restriction. It just requires more work.

Leave a comment:

• malonkey1
    replied
    Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post

I almost forgot - thank you for posting this. I may indeed use it.
    No problem. I have a bunch of 2E-converted Coils.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X