Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery Cult Initiation : Aves Minerva (SAS: Paterfamilias)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Cult Initiation : Aves Minerva (SAS: Paterfamilias)

I've been recently particularly interested with the Birds of Minerva organization in Requiem for Rome. I hadn't recalled seeing any attempts at revising the merit from VtR v1 up to 2.0, so I took a stab at it, and turned it into a Mystery Cult Initiation.

Mystery Cult Initiation: Aves Minervae

A secretive organization who operate in secret in the height of Empire, the Birds consider themselves emissaries of their goddess, Minerva. Trained to notice the telltale signs of the hungry dead and the cold shadows that fill Rome's nights, they are blessed with the means and knowledge to dispatch these creatures in Rome's service. Their purpose, relics, and doctrine are described in the SAS Paterfamilias in greater detail.

Benefits
    O - The first step in knowing of the presence of monsters around you is knowing your environment and its inhabitants in greater detail. Members gain the Trained Observer merit at one dot, so long as they satisfy the prerequisites.
    OO - The aves is initiated into some of the Red Rituals, granting them the Endowments [Aves Minerva] merit at one dot. If they choose to purchase more with experience, they may add the dots together.
    OOO - Greater knowledge of the lemures and manes that inhabit Rome's catacombs and dark corners gives an almost instinctive knowledge of their mere presence. Members gain the Unseen Sense merit, applying to Kindred and Strix (as they are essentially similar enough).
    OOOO - Further initiation into the Red Rituals grants the aves a second dot in Endowments [Aves Minerva].
    OOOOO - The most high-ranked and experienced members of the Birds of Minerva have amassed a great deal of knowledge on the di inferi. A member at this status gains five dots in the Library merit, to be divided up into relevant information: Academics, Occult, and Religion.
    Last edited by Zsander; 11-05-2015, 03:58 PM.

"There is the world of light, and the world of darkness. And some in the light prefer the darkness." — Loren Eiseley, The Night Country

What about the Endowment and the Red Rituals?

Comment

Mystery Cult Initiation is not a Hunter thing-it doesn't have Endowments.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

I assumed they were the precursors of the Cainite Heresy.

Comment

Did you not see the 2nd dot?

OO - The aves is initiated into some of the Red Rituals, granting them the Endowments [Aves Minerva] merit at one dot. If they choose to purchase more with experience, they may add the dots together.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

well, there seem to be a movement among the homebrew of representing compacts/conspiracies as Mystery Cults- not that I've done it, but I've saw some people who chose to use the Cult as a module for a 2nd edition Hunter orgs. Considering that for now there is nothing official about how (if?) the Status bonus would change on the new edition, I think that both methods are valid.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
              I assumed they were the precursors of the Cainite Heresy.
              In the lore from the SAS, I believe that's actually one fate for the Birds after the fall of Rome: they fall apart, but the rituals are passed on (in a modified format in the modern era).

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              . . . there seem to be a movement among the homebrew of representing compacts/conspiracies as Mystery Cults . . .
              That's basically why I rewrote the merit as a Mystery Cult Initiation (though I'm still looking over the Red Rituals themselves and wondering what needs updating there too): The organization has a purpose/doctrine (hunting Vampires and Strix), a relic (the font where their rituals are derived), and a set of benefits to match those things.

Since Hunter/Vigil is yet to be updated (Summer 2016, maybe?), I figured this was the closest I could get to representing them . I also felt they needed some fleshing out; I always found it a little frustrating that the merit in VtR 1 only had 3 benefits while you still had to pay for 5 ranks—and with the old style experience point system that made it even more cost-benefit unwieldy. (The Status you might get from the old merit would only work internally anyway, with other organization members, so it wasn't hugely influential with such a small cult.)
              Last edited by Zsander; 11-05-2015, 04:27 PM.

"There is the world of light, and the world of darkness. And some in the light prefer the darkness." — Loren Eiseley, The Night Country

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter the Vigil: Night Stalkers
                Our nation has abandoned Minerva; Minerva has in turn abandoned us.
                One member made a plea to others to join the Cainites, but it looks as if the Cainite Heresy existed parallel to the Aves, though they didn't have the power yet.

Brothers, I taught them the first of the Red Rituals: The Denials.

Comment

Are the Red rituals the same as the rituals of Denial?

Comment

The quote suggests that the Rituals of Denial are the 'first' of the Red Rituals.

Comment

Working...
                    X