Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saibot View Post
    NEED TEN CHARACTERS.
    Sometimes, I find that requirement for posting ridiculous.

But yeah, regarding the Ab-Sekhem Devotion, I'm kind of wondering if I should double down on the Auspex, add in Majesty, or swap Auspex for Majesty in the required Discipline ratings. It's a little tricky getting what I want for it, based on Arcanist's suggestion.

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
    Perhaps the Bak-Ra have something that allows them to empower Ghouls? Ra is well known for descending into Duat at night with an entourage of protective gods.

The most vicious of Ra's companions was lion-headed Sekhmet "She who is power", who in her most famous myth went on a rampage killing most of humanity and only stopping when her unquenchable taste for blood was slaked by a clever trick involving beer dyed red. Sounds like a high-Blood Potency Kindred on a Frenzy rampage to me.
    Maybe it could be a Devotion that raises the (effective) Blood Potency of a Bak-Ra's ghouls? Maybe even allow for them to draw on the Bak-Ra's Vitae pool at his consent?

@Arcanist: And glad you like it, by the way

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

pretty major change in conversion making their power to survive the sun REAL rather then a hoax... to be fair surviving the sun is much less a big issue in 2nd edition still...

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        pretty major change in conversion making their power to survive the sun REAL rather then a hoax... to be fair surviving the sun is much less a big issue in 2nd edition still...
        Which kind of motivated my thinking and I guess Deionscribe's. What they claimed to do in Ancient Bloodlines in 1e, a neonate in 2e can essentially do for real, so they needed a thematic boost. Even the Ordo Dracul has gotten a lot better at handling sunlight.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

An idea:

What if they could gain Vitae from exposure to sunlight?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
            An idea:

I cannot speak for Deionscribe, but I think that would go a bit too far. I tried to go for exceptional resistance and being more able to operate during the day. Vitae from sunlight would make them essentially full Daywalkers with little downside. Also, personally, the idea seems like it would make more sense for a Bloodline with a thematic connection to plant life.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

I cannot speak for Deionscribe, but I think that would go a bit too far. I tried to go for exceptional resistance and being more able to operate during the day. Vitae from sunlight would make them essentially full Daywalkers with little downside. Also, personally, the idea seems like it would make more sense for a Bloodline with a thematic connection to plant life.
              I fail to see how "they gain 1 Vitae for every level of Aggravated damage they take" would constitute "no downside".

Also, they have a thematic connection to the Sun. I think they should get some power from it, even as it destroys them.

(Maybe getting some Willpower back for witnessing the dawn might be better...)

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

I think the idea of the Bak-Ra gaining Vitae from suffering Aggravated damage from the Sun is a thematic idea, especially since it would force a Bak-Ra to make choices- easy route to power, or preserve the reputation of being a Daywalker. Besides, any Vitae they gain from it will come at an extremely steep cost. Barring that, gaining Willpower from witnessing the dawn sounds like an excellent idea.

Now I'm picturing a Bak-Ra Elder with a custom Devotion that allows them to shunt damage from the Sun off onto their Ghouls and Kindred connected to them by Blood Sympathy. Something sort of like how Akasha in Queen of the Damned could be a Daywalker at the cost of torching dozens of young vampires across the world. Being a Bak-Ra Ghoul or apprentice would probably suck beyond belief- either that or you would have to get used to fairly regular intense sunburn.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Which kind of motivated my thinking and I guess Deionscribe's. What they claimed to do in Ancient Bloodlines in 1e, a neonate in 2e can essentially do for real, so they needed a thematic boost. Even the Ordo Dracul has gotten a lot better at handling sunlight.
                  Those are all spot-on points. And personally speaking, the Bak-Ra (and, by extension, the Usiri) needed reinterpretation, especially since the Khaibit got beefed up for 2E more or less.

An idea:

Vitae from sunlight would make them essentially full Daywalkers with little downside. Also, personally, the idea seems like it would make more sense for a Bloodline with a thematic connection to plant life.
                  I fail to see how "they gain 1 Vitae for every level of Aggravated damage they take" would constitute "no downside".

Also, they have a thematic connection to the Sun. I think they should get some power from it, even as it destroys them.

(Maybe getting some Willpower back for witnessing the dawn might be better...)

Well, to be fair, we already have a Devotion (Sanguine Sun) and a Merit (Blessing of Ra) which give them a few advantages in dealing with the sun. And I'm already considering another Merit that also modifies some of the drawbacks of Twilight Protection.

A power to "gain 1 Vitae per point of Aggravated Damage" sounds very much like a Resilience Devotion. Maybe one that requires Resilience 3 or even 5. It could also be a passive effect. Like Sanguine Sun, though, the Bak-Ra cannot perhaps apply the Blessing of Ra Merit while using this Devotion.

Getting a point of Willpower for witnessing the dawn (or even getting Willpower equal to successes on a Humanity roll) seems to be more in the purview of a Merit.

I think the idea of the Bak-Ra gaining Vitae from suffering Aggravated damage from the Sun is a thematic idea, especially since it would force a Bak-Ra to make choices- easy route to power, or preserve the reputation of being a Daywalker. Besides, any Vitae they gain from it will come at an extremely steep cost. Barring that, gaining Willpower from witnessing the dawn sounds like an excellent idea.

Now I'm picturing a Bak-Ra Elder with a custom Devotion that allows them to shunt damage from the Sun off onto their Ghouls and Kindred connected to them by Blood Sympathy. Something sort of like how Akasha in Queen of the Damned could be a Daywalker at the cost of torching dozens of young vampires across the world. Being a Bak-Ra Ghoul or apprentice would probably suck beyond belief- either that or you would have to get used to fairly regular intense sunburn.
                  I would probably have that Devotion stipulate the requirement of either an active blood bond or existing blood sympathy, applying bonuses which stack if they're both present.

Also, how about this for a name? Kemwer

Taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnevis

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I love the name for that Devotion- probably a mixed Auspex and Majesty one.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I love the name for that Devotion- probably a mixed Auspex and Majesty one.
                      Auspex 4 and Majesty 4?

And finally got a write-up for Ab-Sekhem, and it's a real beast of a Devotion.

-=-

Ab-Sekhem [Majesty oooo, Auspex oooo]
                      Cost: 3 Vitae
                      Dice Pool: Presence + Occult + Majesty vs. Resolve + Composure
                      Action: Instant
                      The most vicious of Ra's companions during the passage through Duat was the lion-headed Sekhmet, his daughter and "She Who is Power". One tale tells how she went on a rampage, killing most of humanity and only stopping when her unquencable taste for blood was slaked by a clever trick.

Bak-Ra with this Devotion can use it on those with whom they have blood ties with. While this can be a potent blood sympathy, it can just as easily be the bond between regnant and thrall. For targets with an active Vinculum, they can be targeted within sensory range. Those with blood sympathy that's at least thrice removed can be targeted within the appropriate range.

If the target is willing or if he fails the resistance roll, he falls into a frenzy with all the associated benefits and drawbacks. Due to the diluted nature of the Vitae within them, they apply only half the Bak-Ra's Blood Potency dots (rounded up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Stamina rolls or resistances.

If a recipient of Ab-Sekhem decides to resist the frenzy, he gains no bonus dice for the Willpower spent to fight it. He also suffers penalties equal to the bonuses granted by the Bak-Ra's blood sympathy or blood bond towards him.

This Devotion costs 4 Experience to learn.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Auspex 4 and Majesty 4 sounds about right. Maybe a dot of Resilience or two and/or the Blessing of Ra Merit as well.

Ab-Sekhem really is a beastly Devotion. A Bak-Ra Elder could send a Ghoul of theirs into a group of Kindred, and have them go completely berserk. Imagine if the use of this was paired with one of the new Invictus Devotions like in Vitae Veritas? The Elder could turn their entire line into a furious weapon. It's even more dangerous if used on another Kindred, and could theoretically send their Attributes soaring past all limits.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Auspex 4 and Majesty 4 sounds about right. Maybe a dot of Resilience or two and/or the Blessing of Ra Merit as well.

Ab-Sekhem really is a beastly Devotion. A Bak-Ra Elder could send a Ghoul of theirs into a group of Kindred, and have them go completely berserk. Imagine if the use of this was paired with one of the new Invictus Devotions like in Vitae Veritas? The Elder could turn their entire line into a furious weapon. It's even more dangerous if used on another Kindred, and could theoretically send their Attributes soaring past all limits.
                          Hence, another reason why you do not go messing around with the f***ing Servants of Ra. They were the supreme leaders of the Great Covenant, for a reason.

Edit:

Moving on, I finally finished my write-up of Kemwer. And posted it on the main page.

-=-

Kemwer [Auspex oooo, Majesty oooo, Blessing of Ra]
                          Cost:
                          1 Vitae
                          Dice Pool: Manipulation + Occult + Auspex vs. Resolve + Blood Potency
                          Action: Reflexive
                          As a Bak-Ra's blood grows more potent and his Humanity slowly erodes, even the protection offered by the Blessing of Ra cannot protect them from the sun for long. This Devotion - initially crafted by a Bak-Ra Elder desperately clinging to power - allows one of the Servants to direct the ravages of sunlight upon those bearing their blood.

A target of Kemwer must have either blood sympathy with the Bak-Ra that's at least thrice removed, or an active vinculum enthralled to him. If the Devotion is used on one with the former, it can be invoked within the appropriate range. Otherwise, the target must be targeted within sensory range. Whenever the Bak-Ra suffers damage from sunlight, he can reflexively activate the Devotion to transfer an amount of damage equal to their Resilience dots to their chosen target. Kindred victims of Kemwer have been known to frenzy upon experiencing this.
                          Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-12-2016, 11:00 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                          X