No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see no need to define that particular subset of immortals. In fact, this whole discussion is pretty much meaningless because they're all valid definitions. Many words don't have a singular, all-encompassing definition. That's the nature of language.
    And the word immortal is not defined as a rules term in the Storytelling System, so anytime the word does show up in one of the books you'll have to take the context of the word into account. That means any definitions you come up with in this discussion will ultimately just be confusing since the books won't retroactively adhere to what you think the word should mean.

In the case of Fealty's Reward I think "mortal" is just a synonym for anyone who's capable of being ghouled in the first place.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Well now, that is worse and most useful version of mortal proposed thus far. :P

Comment

• Generally, as far I am concerned and for the purposes of CofD, a mortal is anyone without a template (though merit templates muddy that up a bit).

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

• I think for the purposes of requiem, immmortals are the kindred, strix, some sets of non-Kindred vampires, and a few outliers, like that Dvora antagonist in 1000 years of night.

For Fealty's Reward, if it doesn't transition the amount of time that a ghoul needs to drink vitae from per month to per year, I imagine the process can be done upon them again at the end of said year.

Comment

• Is the Coil of Zirnitra part of its own Mystery (a Mystery of Zirnitra), a different Mystery (like the Coil of Quintessence is part of Voivode) or no Mystery at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
              Is the Coil of Zirnitra part of its own Mystery (a Mystery of Zirnitra), a different Mystery (like the Coil of Quintessence is part of Voivode) or no Mystery at all?
              Seems to be part of its own Mystery, though a near extinct one.

Comment

• What happens if a vampire deals with their provocation while spending Willpower to postpone frenzy?

Say a hunger frenzy triggers, but the vampire retains control long enough to top up (or just push themselves out of the low-vitae 'danger zone')?

Comment

• If the source of the provocation disappears, then they wouldn't go into frenzy. But in the scenario you described it's still kind of vague. If it's a case where they were hungry and grabbed some human and started feeding and spent a willpower to avoid tearing their throat out in the process I would simply not apply the negative modifier for hunger. The Beast could still want to eat until satisfied. If it's a case of waking up hungry, knowing your ghoul will be back in an hour and deciding to grab a few vitae reliquaries instead, there is no target to direct the frenzy and no longer any trigger. Frenzy averted.

Comment

• Question: does Blood & Smoke cover how long it takes vitae to break down? Because there's a blurb about vitae in the communion wine, iirc, whereas I was under the impression in 1e that vitae in nwod breaks down far quicker than vitae in owod. All I could find is a statement on the distinction between vitae and blood volume (ie. that they're not directly correlated).

Comment

• Kindred Vitae is a dangerous food. First off, Vitae is addicting
                      (see Vitae Addiction, p. 99). As well, it causes the blood bond
                      (see Blood Bonds, p. 90). However, it’s efficient. Every Vitae
                      taken is a Vitae earned, and this causes no additional damage
                      to the victim. Stored Kindred Vitae is effectively cold blood.
                      Cold blood from a corpse or kept outside the body for
                      more than a few minutes (but no more than a night) is far
                      less satisfying. To gain a single point of Vitae, a vampire must
                      consume as many pints of this blood as her Blood Potency times
                      two. Technologically stored blood, for example in refrigerated
                      plasma bags, is similarly unpalatable to potent Kindred.
                      Page 95 (Emphasis added)

These are what the book has to say on the matter. I don't know if more recent supplements have added more detail. Seems Vitae (whether in blood or in its more purified, vampiric form) starts to lose potency after a few minutes and is worthless after a night. Of course, an ST might not consider this enough evidence and present their own ruling.

Comment

• Is massive amount of heat or an open flame( to both so that it would cause combustion) necessary for aggravated damage or boiling oil would cause lethal( or even bashing) damage?

Comment

• The Banes seem to work more on symbolism, so only actual flames do Aggravated, same as only actual daylight and not certain types of lamps.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Boiling oil would only inflict bashing damage to vampires.

Comment

• I have a question which may already have been answered somewhere within the massiveness of this thread.

Do vampires detect other vampires (though the Predatory Aura) that are currently possessing a human or animal? This question goes both for the body that lies in torpor and especially the possessed that now walks around with a vampire mind in them.

Another question is in regards to Raising the familiar (Animalism 2). It is said that the vampire can speak to the animal at any distance, but can the animal contact the vampire themselves? The rules say there is some sort of sympathetic link; does that mean the animal can send emotions or the like through it?
                              Last edited by Lorsa; 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorsa View Post
                                Another question is in regards to Raising the familiar (Animalism 2). It is said that the vampire can speak to the animal at any distance, but can the animal contact the vampire themselves? The rules say there is some sort of sympathetic link; does that mean the animal can send emotions or the like through it?
                                The word the section uses is "communicating" in the context of being able to use Feral Whispers on the animal from any distance; this and the also-mentioned issuing of commands are both discussed in Feral Whispers' success text, and the former is immediately framed in terms of being able to ask and receive answers to questions.

I would suspect, given the imagery involved and the placement of the power within the Discipline, that the familiar doesn't have enough autonomy to initiate contact on its own outside Feral Whispers already establishing a scene-long capacity for communication; the Ventrue and the Gangrel both approach the workarounds for that limitation from different directions.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X