Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question:

Can someone elaborate on Mask and Dirge archetypes for me? The book gives me the impression that a Dirge is your dirty little secret, but does it have to be a secret? For example, I can imagine a vampire with the Child archetype as her dirge being pretty terrible at hiding her Dirge. Would it be okay if a vampire's Dirge is pretty obvious to everyone in the room, or would that defeat the whole purpose of Dirges?

What about Masks? Does a Mask have to be a petty lie or can your Mask also be something you aspire to be? For example, what if a vampire aspires to be a good scholar, could Scholar be that vampire's mask? Or does that once again defeat the purpose of Masks?

Comment

• Mask is who you pretend to be. Dirge is who you really are. Mask is the shield you use against the intrigue and subterfuge of vampire society, or the disguise you wear to mingle with mortals. Dirge is the core root of who you are that reminds you that there's more to you than meets the eye; it's your true sense of identity.

I imagine neonates play to their Dirge more than their Mask, because they haven't yet really lived enough to feel like they need that shield that the Mask presents. That's fine. I imagine older vampires would play more to their Mask and not let their Dirge out as often, because it represents vulnerability. That's fine, too. I think when the book says "secret self" here it's more keeping in mind the typical vampire that doesn't let others get to know the "real" person behind the mask. It doesn't literally have to be a secret, but knowing someone's Dirge does give potential leverage and makes it easier to manipulate them, so vampires often learn to hide it quickly.

Comment

• Thanks for the answer!

Here's another question:

Does the 'Good Time Management' merit (p. 44 in the Chronicles of Darkness book) also apply to hunting for a feeding scene for vampires? How exactly does it apply?

If this merit allows you to find a victim to feed on in half the time you'd normally spend on searching for a victim, I'd argue that this merit is a little overpowered and something any player should take. After all, feeding is something you have to do almost every night and if you can cut down your hunting time by half that means you have a lot more spare time each night to plot, scheme and do jobs. That's a pretty big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
          Does the 'Good Time Management' merit (p. 44 in the Chronicles of Darkness book) also apply to hunting for a feeding scene for vampires? How exactly does it apply?
          Why would it? Feeding scenes with dice are managed as a single instant action, not an extended action.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I am playing a vampire with Theban Sorcery which requires maintaining your humanity and my humanity is 5 - my touchstone is this REALLY OLD GUY who could die at any point, should I pre-emptively get a new touchstone or does the sanctity of merits kick in before I suffer being languid?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikerand View Post
              I am playing a vampire with Theban Sorcery which requires maintaining your humanity and my humanity is 5 - my touchstone is this REALLY OLD GUY who could die at any point, should I pre-emptively get a new touchstone or does the sanctity of merits kick in before I suffer being languid?
              Sanctity of Merits is for the extras you get from the Merit. I'd angle for a spare if I were you.

Comment

• You specifically can't get the same merit you lost with Sanctity of Merits.

Comment

• I don't think there's anything that explicitly forbids that. All you need is in-game explanation, as usual. Loosing a touchstone, but buying the same merit bound to your best friend that's been a part of your character for a long time but still not represented by any mechanical dots would be fine.

Comment

I am playing a vampire with Theban Sorcery which requires maintaining your humanity and my humanity is 5 - my touchstone is this REALLY OLD GUY who could die at any point, should I pre-emptively get a new touchstone or does the sanctity of merits kick in before I suffer being languid?
                    Sancity kicks in as soon as you lose the guy, problem is that most ST’s will require a narrative explanation for you spendimg the XP recovered. So, you might at the very least want to start seeding your role play with potential angles to get at another Touchstone, to purchase either before or after you lose your current one to old age.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure why sanctity of merits would kick in. The touchstone Merit isn't buying touchstones, it's about being able to have a touchstone connected to that level of humanity. So, I don't think sanctity of merits would kick in because losing the touchstone doesn't stop you from being able to have a touchstone at said level.

Comment

• The text does state that though. P. 88:

“Taking a new Touchstone requires the Touchstone merit ...”

Which makes sense. You don’t need the merit to be able to connect to potential Touchstones. You need Humanity for that, hence Touchstones detaching when you lose Humanity.

I can’t read p. 88 and the merit itself in any other way than actually buying a connection to a specific person or object. If that Touchstone is subsequently lost or killed (which is different from detached) Sactity applies as it would with any other merit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Howalt View Post
                          Sancity kicks in as soon as you lose the guy
                          Sanctity kicks in at the end of the chapter.

Comment

• Well getting a +3 to detachment rolls for having more than one touchstone would be handy, plus merits are relatively cheap XP-wise. Yes, I will focus on getting another touchstone next.

Comment

• Can someone explain to me exactly how this merit works? Explain it to me like I'm 6 years old; with a hypothetical example please. :^)

Patient (•)
                              Effect: Your character knows how to pace herself and take
                              the time to do the job right the first time. When taking an
                              extended action, you may make two additional rolls, above
                              what your Attribute + Skill allows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
                                Can someone explain to me exactly how this merit works? Explain it to me like I'm 6 years old; with a hypothetical example please. :^)
                                I can help.

Extended actions are where you make a number of rolls equal to the attribute and skill you are using. Say a character is researching local occult rumors, they make an extended action.

Let's give our hypothetical character 2 occult and 2 intelligence; 2+2 gives them a total of four, and so they can roll their 4 dice 4 times to get to the required success number.

However, a characer with the Patient merit adds two rolls to this, in the event that they didn't get the number needed in the the first four rolls. So our character can roll their 4 dice 6 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X