Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
    Ah yes I knew about that one but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. It's not exactly what I was looking for but still, appreciate it.
    Yeah, I figured it was a little narrower than what you were looking for, but just mentioned it for thoroughness’ sake.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Question about Psychic Vampires from the Hurt Locker book (page 101 - 103):

It says:

"By and large, Psychic Vampirism works on most things in the Chronicles of Darkness. However, a psychic vampire cannot steal the life energy of an actual vampire. She can steal Willpower if her Psychic Vampirism Merit is strong enough. Psychic vampires cannot steal the life of ghosts or spirits, unless they have the Soul Eater Merit. Using psychic vampirism on supernatural creatures is slightly tougher; subtract their Supernatural Potency trait (Blood Potency, Gnosis, Primal Urge, etc.) from the roll to activate the power."

The first dot of this Merit says:

Amateur (•):
      With this basic level, your character can cause bashing damage. She causes one bashing damage per success on her roll. Every two points of bashing damage gives her one Ephemera (this can be accumulated over multiple turns). She can use one Ephemera to heal a point of bashing damage, or two Ephemera to heal one lethal damage.

The other dots basically just built on to that, but my question is this:

Can a Psychic Vampire still use his/her powers to damage Kindred? Or is that tied to the stealing life energy, meaning that damaging the Kindred doesn't work either?
      Last edited by Ventrue Life; 05-06-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Question about Psychic Vampires from the Hurt Locker book (page 101 - 103):

It says:

"By and large, Psychic Vampirism works on most things in the Chronicles of Darkness. However, a psychic vampire cannot steal the life energy of an actual vampire. She can steal Willpower if her Psychic Vampirism Merit is strong enough. Psychic vampires cannot steal the life of ghosts or spirits, unless they have the Soul Eater Merit. Using psychic vampirism on supernatural creatures is slightly tougher; subtract their Supernatural Potency trait (Blood Potency, Gnosis, Primal Urge, etc.) from the roll to activate the power."

The first dot of this Merit says:

Amateur (•):
        With this basic level, your character can cause bashing damage. She causes one bashing damage per success on her roll. Every two points of bashing damage gives her one Ephemera (this can be accumulated over multiple turns). She can use one Ephemera to heal a point of bashing damage, or two Ephemera to heal one lethal damage.

The other dots basically just built on to that, but my question is this:

Can a Psychic Vampire still use his/her powers to damage Kindred? Or is that tied to the stealing life energy, meaning that damaging the Kindred doesn't work either?
        Doesn't work

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by falco1029 View Post

Doesn't work
          Care to elaborate? Because the people at my table seem to think it should work, while I personally lean more on the side that it shouldn't work, but it's unclear to me.

Comment

Care to elaborate? Because the people at my table seem to think it should work, while I personally lean more on the side that it shouldn't work, but it's unclear to me.
            It works by stealing life energy, and as that sidebar says, they can't do that to Vampires.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

• Question:

Is there a Dominate power or perhaps something else that would allow a vampire to switch bodies with someone? For example, would it be possible with some kind of Devotion relating to Dominate or something to possess a person and then have that person who's possessed temporarily take your body, effectively swapping bodies for a while?

Does something like that already exist in one of the books and if not, do you think this would fall into the realm of Devotions if I want to homebrew it?

Comment

• I believe Asnam is the name of a Daeva bloodline that does something similar. I don't remember where I saw them though.

Comment

Question:

Is there a Dominate power or perhaps something else that would allow a vampire to switch bodies with someone? For example, would it be possible with some kind of Devotion relating to Dominate or something to possess a person and then have that person who's possessed temporarily take your body, effectively swapping bodies for a while?

Does something like that already exist in one of the books and if not, do you think this would fall into the realm of Devotions if I want to homebrew it?
                  If you mean like the Freaky Friday plot where characters switch bodies, no there's not currently anything. Rathamus mentions the Asnam bloodline, their signature discipline is a Majesty offshoot where they can, at different levels, use their followers as havens, willpower and vitae cookie jars with the apex power of turning a newborn baby into a phylactery that the Asnam will subsume if they meet Final Death, killing the other person instead. They're in the Circle of the Crone covenant book.

Comment

• A thing i do in my games is have my players select an aspiration that comes from their beast. Essentially something that the beast wants and it always ends up as a breaking point. i call it a dark aspiration.

So the thing is one of my players cant think of something. The other problem is that i cant think of anything either. So i am asking here if anyone has an idea.
                    Usually the personality of the beast is influences by what banes the character has (clan banes and others) and what disciplines (and at what level) the character has. For example a character with a lot of Dominate will end up with a beast that is domineering.

In this case the player is a Gangrel with 1 dot of animalism and Resilience and 2 dot of protean.
                    As for the character he was orphaned with his little sister and made a group of street kids for protection. As a vampire he has expanded the street kid network to control several groups that he use for information (contact) and minor help (allies for delivering messages of doing small distractions).

I get the feeling that the beast would want something in regard to the street kids/orphans group and as a gangrel it would be animalistic, feral and physical.
                    But i cant seem to find something interesting.
                    I also dont want to go too far and have something like ''wants to form the street kids into a cannibal cults that hunt with him''. Since he has 7 humanity something that would ... slide subtly towards that kind of thing would be better.

If anyone can think of something it would be much appreciated.
                    thank you

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                    Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
                    Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                      A thing i do in my games is have my players select an aspiration that comes from their beast. Essentially something that the beast wants and it always ends up as a breaking point. i call it a dark aspiration.

So the thing is one of my players cant think of something. The other problem is that i cant think of anything either. So i am asking here if anyone has an idea.
                      Usually the personality of the beast is influences by what banes the character has (clan banes and others) and what disciplines (and at what level) the character has. For example a character with a lot of Dominate will end up with a beast that is domineering.

In this case the player is a Gangrel with 1 dot of animalism and Resilience and 2 dot of protean.
                      As for the character he was orphaned with his little sister and made a group of street kids for protection. As a vampire he has expanded the street kid network to control several groups that he use for information (contact) and minor help (allies for delivering messages of doing small distractions).

I get the feeling that the beast would want something in regard to the street kids/orphans group and as a gangrel it would be animalistic, feral and physical.
                      I also dont want to go too far and have something like ''wants to form the street kids into a cannibal cults that hunt with him''. Since he has 7 humanity something that would ... slide subtly towards that kind of thing would be better.

thank you
                      Procreation is a pretty primal motive, maybe the beast wants a childe?

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

This is a cool idea.

Pitch 1: The beast wants to terrorize the children while in the guise of a bestial human, to better teach them the fear of predators and strangers they will need to survive in the world. Resilience grants the beast capabilities to soak any damage from those who fight back, Animalism allows control over which animal is being used for inspiration, Protean is used to manifest aspects of that chosen animal.

Pitch 2: It actively wants to protect the 'territories' of the Children, ruthlessly preying upon any competitors or threats to the group who get too close.

Pitch 3: If you want to go fully antagonistic, it is threatened by children growing up, and seeks to prey upon, destroy, or dominate a child on the threshold of adulthood. (Or for a less one-sided struggle, pit a favored animal against the chosen victim.)

Comment

• Question about Dhampir...
                          Can they buy Covenant merits if they have status?

Comment

• Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                            Procreation is a pretty primal motive, maybe the beast wants a childe?
                            Originally posted by Holy View Post

Pitch 1: The beast wants to terrorize the children while in the guise of a bestial human, to better teach them the fear of predators and strangers they will need to survive in the world. Resilience grants the beast capabilities to soak any damage from those who fight back, Animalism allows control over which animal is being used for inspiration, Protean is used to manifest aspects of that chosen animal.

Pitch 2: It actively wants to protect the 'territories' of the Children, ruthlessly preying upon any competitors or threats to the group who get too close.

Pitch 3: If you want to go fully antagonistic, it is threatened by children growing up, and seeks to prey upon, destroy, or dominate a child on the threshold of adulthood. (Or for a less one-sided struggle, pit a favored animal against the chosen victim.)
                            Really like those ideas thx.
                            I'll run them by my player see if one them strikes the right chord.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                            Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
                            Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

A thing i do in my games is have my players select an aspiration that comes from their beast. Essentially something that the beast wants and it always ends up as a breaking point. i call it a dark aspiration.

thank you
                              I would link the 'dark aspiration' to the character's Dirge. Or make all your players choose Virtues and Vices (like most mortal characters would do), not to replace Mask and Dirge, but in addition to Mask and Dirge. Then use their chosen Vice to come up with an idea for what the Beast wants.

I really like your idea though. 'Dark aspirations', very nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raktus View Post
                                Question about Dhampir...
                                Can they buy Covenant merits if they have status?
                                From reading p.113 and 123 of VtR 2nd I don't see why not. The hurdle is that dot of Covenant status. Once achieved, many more doors open. That said, the Covenants are likely to be wary of a Dhampir acting among them in anything but the most deferential and circumspect manner.

Similarly, a Ghoul might acquire Covenant status, but will still be a Ghoul and second-class in virtually every respect.

The status Merit reflects establishing your personal value to the group in a way that is sufficiently widespread and unchallenged such that you are considered a reliable and trusted asset/member. How you get to that point is the crux of the story.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                                X