Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    Actually I think that, compared to other disciplines, Majesty is the most underpowered until the 3rd dot. Then it starts to become aligned, or even more powerful, than other counterpart.
    Even Nightmare 1, despite it is the most similar and almost a reversed copy of Awe, is quite more powerful than it thanks to 2 turns hallucinations.
    The interesting thing about Majesty is that it's the only clan-specific Discipline of the bunch that's completely and unconditionally free until the third dot; given that its effects to that point are "add your Majesty dots to Social rolls, ignore most Social penalties, and apply your Majesty dots as a penalty to attempts to notice stuff around you or see through you" (and the less salient "lay the groundwork for the higher-level powers"), that's a very solid incentive for Daeva who aren't aiming to funnel their efforts into their clan's two physical Disciplines to become practiced at talking their way past problems.

The Daeva Discipline wheelhouse is sort of a plain-yet-practical package that puts them in a space where they often have more Vitae to spare for less specialized applications of the Blood by virtue of their social focus — ghouls, the Vinculum, the Blush of Life, and so on all come into play a lot more readily with characters whose mechanics are geared to help them cycle Vitae through the mortal population, and Majesty is the medium through which the Daeva manage that all the more easily.

Originally posted by Corbie View Post
    Question: The talk about Majesty and lashing out and mortals has me thinking about ghoul v. ghoul. Ghouls aren't quite mortal (they give up any supernatural merits they may have possessed). Neither are they Kindred. They can't lash out. Does that mean a ghoul subjected to Majesty by another ghoul is pretty much screwed?
    It means a ghoul subjected to Awe by another ghoul cannot negate the Social bonuses that ghoul receives. This does nothing to worsen the contested roll every other facet of the Discipline calls for.
    Last edited by Satchel; 07-02-2018, 09:01 PM.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• In our Session our ST insists when reading the Mystery of the Voivode (Call to Serve / 3rd Rank) (p158), that in order to use it and actually Blood Bond someone he must want to be Blood Bonded to you. I am trying to explain to him that the phrase 'The must want to follow, and they must want to follow immediately' is a fluff and not a mechanic...you cannot demand from someone else to agree to become blood bonded to you in order to use 'Call to Serve' as he thinks....Wtf i am so confused that i want your opinion about who is right?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Montgomery Crobes View Post
        In our Session our ST insists when reading the Mystery of the Voivode (Call to Serve / 3rd Rank) (p158), that in order to use it and actually Blood Bond someone he must want to be Blood Bonded to you. I am trying to explain to him that the phrase 'The must want to follow, and they must want to follow immediately' is a fluff and not a mechanic...you cannot demand from someone else to agree to become blood bonded to you in order to use 'Call to Serve' as he thinks....Wtf i am so confused that i want your opinion about who is right?!

yea, it's fluff. It's just clarifying what the Dragon from the previous sentence wants, it's not stating a requirement for the use of the Coil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Montgomery Crobes View Post
          In our Session our ST insists when reading the Mystery of the Voivode (Call to Serve / 3rd Rank) (p158), that in order to use it and actually Blood Bond someone he must want to be Blood Bonded to you. I am trying to explain to him that the phrase 'The must want to follow, and they must want to follow immediately' is a fluff and not a mechanic...you cannot demand from someone else to agree to become blood bonded to you in order to use 'Call to Serve' as he thinks....Wtf i am so confused that i want your opinion about who is right?!
          "They must want to follow" means that they must be blood bonded because those who are blood bonded are compelled into wanting to follow your character. It's a description of the blood bond; not a prerequisite for applying the Coil. The second part stresses the importance of inflicting the blood bond quickly rather than over time.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• oh curious? Is a Ordo Dracul Twilight Judge more likely in your opinion, to grant a special dispensation on the Coil of Ziva.

When theirs a experiment he Agree's would have Merit that would Benefit from it.

or more practical uses to gain an agent who is better able to endure the ravages of his Humanity?

Comment

• That's up to the individual judge. Yes, they can allow you access to it without repercussion, but why would they? what is it for them?

Comment

• I'd say it depends on the level of influence/positive regard the Ordo Dracul has within the domain at large. If they're the most powerful (Dragon prince, Axesworn hounds and sheriff, Mysteries Harpy etc.) it would be practiced openly and a Twilight Judge's permission wouldn't be needed.
                If they're somewhat influential and seek to be well-regarded, they'd likely be careful about granting permission only to those who they reasonably expect to be responsible with their other experiments and not go a murder binge.
                Alternatively, if they're planning to assist the Carthians in a massacre to seize power, learning it may be practically mandatory.
                If they don't care about other covenants' opinions they'll probably have lower standards as to who would be given permission but likely would not advertise it.
                If their influence is minor and they don't wish to draw the ire of the most powerful covenants, then those being allowed to learn it would probably be kept minimal, at least at an official level.
                As to how other covenants may learn about it, well that depends on how much multi-covenant memberships are permitted and how much of the special power whoring to non-status members goes on in the setting. If either are common, then I find it unlikely that Dragons would be able to keep their mysteries and scales a secret so official Ordo policy about that coil is going to be determined from there.

I really don't think they prioritize the Humanity level of their wetworks operatives. The Humanity level of an Axesworn Knight that goes around assassinating others firsthand is not more sacrosanct than that Humanity level of the Dying Light Journeyman who is flays humans and kindred alive and times how long it takes for them to expire, nor is their service deemed more or less valuable than the Mysteries Oracle who shuns contact with other sentient beings for a month as they lock themself away in a sensory deprivation chamber and starve themself into torpor for about a year to induce an accurate precognitive trance for a few hours once they awaken.

Comment

• How do gangrel, species wide I mean, stay among the ranks of vampire society? They are animalistic and are known for the red rage, so I don't understand how they can get themselves into politics and such

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                    How do gangrel, species wide I mean, stay among the ranks of vampire society? They are animalistic and are known for the red rage, so I don't understand how they can get themselves into politics and such
                    Politics isn't always people in suits being gentle with each other. Sometimes it's gang fights and Survivor.

Comment

How do gangrel, species wide I mean, stay among the ranks of vampire society? They are animalistic and are known for the red rage, so I don't understand how they can get themselves into politics and such
                      They're only animalistic in the sense that their powerset affinities encourage them to spend time around animals. They're still vampires made from people and their 2e mechanics are angled toward steering whatever frenzy they find themselves dealing with. They're no more handicapped by participation in the All Night Society than the Nosferatu are — territorial squabbles are an evergreen point of contention.

Comment

• Ahh I think I understand now. While yes, they are quite beastly, they do make up for it by being dangerous adversaries in case of open conflict happening, and probably have better relations with the "lower" people

Comment

Ahh I think I understand now. While yes, they are quite beastly, they do make up for it by being dangerous adversaries in case of open conflict happening, and probably have better relations with the "lower" people

To be fair, one of my favorite archetypes of the political Gangrel is the aggressive CEO businessman, using force of will and aggressive takeovers and bullying as her modus operandi. And to be fair, both business and politics can be really dirty and animalistic. More then a few politicians, executives and managers rule as if they where the team alpha.

Comment

Was wondering for a bit is the Die Cap of their humanity on all rolls to resist frenzy, before or after modifiers?

MUCH better if its after modifiers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post

Was wondering for a bit is the Die Cap of their humanity on all rolls to resist frenzy, before or after modifiers?

MUCH better if its after modifiers.

It's probably after modifiers, it wouldn't be much of a clan bane if it didn't really affect most members of the clan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poseur View Post
                                It's probably after modifiers, it wouldn't be much of a clan bane if it didn't really affect most members of the clan.
                                Also "all dice pools to resist frenzy are limited thus" is more straightforwardly read as a universal cap instead of trying to read a bonus-applicable maximum starting point into a fairly direct statement.

First Edition's Humanity cap explicitly applied before penalties, but given the nature of the mechanics Second Edition puts that limit on and its more central place in the game's ludonarrative toolbox, I don't feel it makes much of a difference for the cap to be a simple "no more than this many dice, period" effect — you'll still only be rolling ten dice in the absolute best of circumstances and more likely less than six, and for the Feral Curse in particular the workaround is "get more dice on the roll and a say in the outcome, but if you fail you're not stopping until you roll for Humanity loss."

Comment

Working...
                                X