Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skulhamba View Post
    Hello everyone!

How do you calculate fall damage? For example, a vampire falling from the top of a 30 floor building.
    What height would kill a neonate vampire?

Also, how to calculate car accident damage.

Thanks!

I'm using the Core rules if the fall is "controlled" (falling on his foot). Otherwise I'm doubling the damage output (in the case someone is falling by his back or worst). This seems to me more realistic. Otherwise a stamina 4 human can easily survive from a 5 floors fall (15-18 mt: 5-6 damages), that's quite unlikely.
    In a 5 stories fall I would require a dexterity roll to keep the balance and see if the fall is controlled or not.

Comment

• Would Obfuscate 4 also mask the lack of breath and heartbeat?
      In the case a PC of mine asks me if he can hear the heartbeat of a npc pretending to be a generic mortal through obfuscate 4, could him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcus View Post
        Would Obfuscate 4 also mask the lack of breath and heartbeat?
        In the case a PC of mine asks me if he can hear the heartbeat of a npc pretending to be a generic mortal through obfuscate 4, could him?
        No, it doesn't. At my table, your PC would make a perception check at -4 (add perception modifiers for kindred senses to detect heartbeat or any relevant perception boosting merits) to notice. If he succeeds he can invoke a Clash of Wills to see through the illusion personally or Lash Out and break all Obfuscate applications and allow everyone to see. (Possible Masquerade breach if they are actually among humans, but that's the risk you take when you use Obfuscate.)

However, if the Obfuscate user activated Blush of Life to simulate human bodily functions, the PC will detect a heartbeat and breathing. In the interests of fairness, unless the NPC has a High Humanity score (6+) or a relevant specialization in impersonation under Subterfuge, checking for breathing/heartbeat is a way to justify attempting to break through Obfuscate.

Comment

Obfuscate hides the predatory aura and the like from vampires. As well as Obfuscate fools all senses, its a form of mind control. So, does a 'generic mortal' have breath and heartbeat? Well of course. Then Obfuscate works. So no, Kindred senses (or other senses) can't just pierce Obfuscate, or else it would be pretty weak.

Comment

It directly says you hear and see what you expect. So no, that wouldn't work.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsusasi View Post

No, it doesn't. At my table, your PC would make a perception check at -4 (add perception modifiers for kindred senses to detect heartbeat or any relevant perception boosting merits) to notice. If he succeeds he can invoke a Clash of Wills to see through the illusion personally or Lash Out and break all Obfuscate applications and allow everyone to see. (Possible Masquerade breach if they are actually among humans, but that's the risk you take when you use Obfuscate.)

However, if the Obfuscate user activated Blush of Life to simulate human bodily functions, the PC will detect a heartbeat and breathing. In the interests of fairness, unless the NPC has a High Humanity score (6+) or a relevant specialization in impersonation under Subterfuge, checking for breathing/heartbeat is a way to justify attempting to break through Obfuscate.

Well, you do what you want at your table. But this is really not RAW. It literally says that all your senses are fooled, that you perceive what you expect as well as it hides the predatory aura. Lashing out against Obfuscate, technically only works against the third dot, and you need the Devotion Shatter the Shroud to force them out of Obfuscate, else only you notice a difference. A clash of will would only be allowed if another power was used against it, like Auspex.

Obfuscate just ain't a simple dress up with a wig and make up everyone have a chance to see through.

Comment

• I remember something in the core rulebook about kindred being able to recognize other kindred. Was that a 1st edition thing, or does it still exist in 2nd edition? I've looked through the 2e book and can't seem to find where it says that. I'm trying to figure out how the "kindred radar" actually works. Can kindred sense each other even if they aren't aware of each other, like through a closed door, or across a crowded room? Or do kindred have to be able to see each other for the recognition to kick in?

Comment

• It’s still there, it’s the Predatory Aura. As long as a Vampire can perceive another with one of their senses they can tell it’s a Kindred. So they can’t just psychically tell whether a vampire is on the other side of the wall or not, but if they could hear them or smell them they can tell even if they can’t look at them. Or that’s how I remember it working

Comment

• You're right.
                    Additionally, the Predatory Aura is no longer grounds for a Frenzy check unlike 1E's Predator's Taint.
                    Another thing is that the Predatory Aura can be noticed on other type of creatures as well, such as werewolves.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      You're right.
                      Another thing is that the Predatory Aura can be noticed on other type of creatures as well, such as werewolves.
                      Are you sure? What is the meaning to have Auspex 1 then, that specifically let you ask if the creature is a supernatural one and which kind of supernatural is she?

Comment

Are you sure? What is the meaning to have Auspex 1 then, that specifically let you ask if the creature is a supernatural one and which kind of supernatural is she?
                        That's not one of the given options for Auspex 1. You may be thinking of first edition?

Regardless they said 'other types of creatures,' not 'all other supernaturals.'

'Other denizens of the World of Darkness may have similar auras. Most well-known is the feral mien of the werewolves. When Kindred notice werewolves, they feel physiological responses they never otherwise experience, such as goose pimples along their arms, and chills down their backs. They feel the adrenaline surge in the pit of the stomach that humans associate with danger and tense excitement.
                        Other creatures in the World of Darkness may exhibit predatory auras with Storyteller discretion.'

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

That's not one of the given options for Auspex 1. You may be thinking of first edition?

Regardless they said 'other types of creatures,' not 'all other supernaturals.'

'Other denizens of the World of Darkness may have similar auras. Most well-known is the feral mien of the werewolves. When Kindred notice werewolves, they feel physiological responses they never otherwise experience, such as goose pimples along their arms, and chills down their backs. They feel the adrenaline surge in the pit of the stomach that humans associate with danger and tense excitement.
                          Other creatures in the World of Darkness may exhibit predatory auras with Storyteller discretion.'

Is this person a supernatural creature — and if I have seen
                          them before, what is she? The taste of torn flesh. The glowing
                          halo of a mage’s nimbus.
                          p.129 2ed.

Comment

p.129 2ed.
                            That's Auspex 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

That's Auspex 2.
                              Yes, ok, my bad. But still, and maybe even more, no sense to have this kind of question on a second power level if you are able to figure out if someone is a supernatural creature without it. What you cited says, "...to storyteller discretion". This does not seems very canon to me, but ok. Nothing is forbidden .

Comment

Because only predatory supernatural creatures (vampires and werewolves, but not mages, prometheans or demons) has a Predatory Aura, and you can't tell what kind of creature they are from the Aura alone.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                                X