Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Actually by RAW it adds to damage. 'The hotter the flame, the greater the injury,' mechanically represented by +damage.
    Size and intensity does increase damage. Upgraded damage type (which is what I asked about) does not.

Fire is fire. It's very fireness is what causes the damage, because it reflects humanity's dominance over the natural world. If you had some sort of specific answer you'd prefer, like a new damage type called Super Aggravated and a Condition, maybe you should have mentioned it in your question.
    If I had an answer, why would I ask in the first place?

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      That's RAW, but it's boring and makes little sense that vampires who are weak against fire wouldn't be affected any differently by fire with an upgraded damage type.
      Their susceptibility is mechanically reflected by the fact that they take Aggravated damage against fire instead of an increased amount of damage like +3 Lethal, which would also be a perfectly valid mechanic to reflect that they are susceptible to fire. There is no Super Saiyan Aggravated Damage category to upgrade damage further since full Aggravated is usually translated as character death. So basically anyone “upgrading” their fire damage to do base aggravated damage to kill vampires would be wasted effort on their part simply to overkill and that’s how I’d treat it.
      Last edited by tsusasi; 09-28-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• One suggestion might be to make the scarring more likely and more severe, maybe even unnatural looking, representing it was that much more otherworldly a flame they took damage from, but mechanically I wouldn't do anything further.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

• Well Vampires already react unnaturally when they experience Aggr damage tho. Maybe to make the flame more exotic it should effect something not just health boxes, maybe willpower or the vitae pool?

Comment

• I think I would base it on how the fire was boosted; what kind of supernatural power did it. If it reflects an increase in purifying power or something then it make sense for it to worsen it. If it only reflects physical fire burning then no. i.e.:

Spirit of Fire uses Strengthen on a fire = no change
            Spirit of Purity uses Strengthen on a fire = extra damage or maybe a form of resistant damage (double vitae to heal or something)

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

• What happens to a ghoul if the regnant dies? (Emotionally?) Do they take a condition? Which?

Comment

• Officially nothing. The ghoul in question will probably be extremely happy if they were abused or sad if their regnant was kind to them. Maybe they became sociopathic and don't care either way. They are still vitae addicts but there's no longer anyone around who can emotionally manipulate them any longer via vinculum. Whether or not their immunity to the establishment of other blood bonds persists for the remainder of the year and a day from the last time they tasted their regnant's blood or if another vampire can immediately swoop in and emotionally entrap them is the ST's decision.

Comment

• Where is it explained how the invictus oaths work lore wise in the corebook? I mean the more supernatural ones, like oath of abstinence

Comment

• There isn’t. It just works. They haven’t been an official answer on what the Oaths are, if anything consider them to be a unique blood sorcery. That is essentially what they are, but the specifics of it and why it only functions for those who they and others consider themselves Invictus.

Comment

• Ahh ok, thanks for the answer. It's just been something that has bothered me

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                        That is essentially what they are, but the specifics of it and why it only functions for those who they and others consider themselves Invictus.
                        I mean, the specifics aren't "these only work for the Invictus." The specifics are "these can only be administered by a Notary, which is an Invictus character under implicit pressure by other Invictus to keep this particular sort of magically-enforced vampire agreement favoring the Invictus."

There is an implication gestured at in Secrets of the Covenants, but that's a bit of a reach and based on an explicit possible lie.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Satchel, are you talking about the supposed deal they made with the strix in secrets of the covenant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                            Satchel, are you talking about the supposed deal they made with the strix in secrets of the covenant?
                            I am alluding to the Praetoriani and the conspicuous alignment of "covenant that can make magically-binding agreements" with "vampiric beings who sometimes make deals that are not at all magically binding," yes.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Curious on tempted condition? what a meaningful interaction with a touchstone?

Do multiple instances of condition require multiple resolutions?

Or will a single frenzy or conversation wipe it all away.?

Comment

• Meaningful is somewhat subjective. But it should have some kind of dramatic beat in the story, and shouldn't just be a rote phone call or the like. From the ST side of things, I like to have a problem or issue for every PC touchstone. That way each interaction potentially ropes the PC into a companion quest, basically, in that touchstone's life. Note that these interactions don't have to be positive for the Touchstone, either.

Since you don't have five different Tempted (-1) conditions, but rather a Tempted (-5), the entire Tempted (-5) would vanish with a frenzy or a meaningful interaction (I wouldn't give the wipe with just a simple conversation. The interaction should stay on the PCs mind after the scene, otherwise I consider it superfluous and not very meaningful.)

Comment

Working...
                                X