Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
    Perfect another ritual that fuses it with diablorized human souls [and blood--lots and lots of blood] until it can?

(I mean really, what would you do for your child?)
    Sacrificing him to the Crone as payment for a Crúac ritual. (Happened to my character's second-Embraced Childe. The first and third Childe are not aware of this. Or of each other, for that matter. My character has been called Bluebeard by my ST so perhaps not the best example of a caring Sire.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• When do you roll the Contested dice pool on Theban Sorcery and Cruac rituals that are contested? Is it every roll? Just the last roll?

Also, those that have a potency effect seem weird, like, it's very possible to end up with zero potency, would anything break if rather than automatic activation at success threshold you could keep rolling until you reached your maximum number of rolls?

Finally, is there a formula for target number of successes? Because it seems entirely arbitrary.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• You roll the contested roll every roll of the ritual.

I agree that the Potency system is completely whack. It's extremely random whether you'll get good Potency or not. Higher dice pools increase the plausible range of outcomes, but 0 extra successes will always be part of that range, and never less plausible than any other outcome.
        Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it. Your suggestion of being able to keep rolling is interesting, but that would make it very easy to reach outrageous amounts of Potency. Personally I just avoid any rituals using Potency or, if my ST allows it, rewrite them to not use Potency at all.

How to determine Target Number can be found the first edition book Blood Sorceries. The writers use that book to design rituals.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Is there any definitive answer as to what Donovan (City of the Damned: New Orleans) has in his history that he's so freaked out about people digging up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cielle View Post
            Is there any definitive answer as to what Donovan (City of the Damned: New Orleans) has in his history that he's so freaked out about people digging up?
            One of the theories was that he's John Wilkes Booth. His death was the same year as Donovan's Embrace, and he has some dots in the Expression Skill which seem odd for a brusque sheriff.

The writers were Ari Marmell and C.A. Suleiman. you might be able to just ask them on twitter or their blogs, most authors have some way for fans and the public to reach them.
            Last edited by nofather; 11-09-2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Can Chain of Command be used to give the 'link' a single use of anything else than just Mesmerize? The text says:

The victim does not have to resist if he so chooses. If
              successful, the vampire plants one of her Dominate effects
              deep within the victim. At the specified moment, he uses
              the Dominate command as directed. However, this uses the
              vampire’s dice pool, not the victim’s.

It implies that you can use Chain of Command for all the Dominate effects you have available, but for everything but Mesmerize you need to have inflicted the Mesmerized Condition first. If Chain of Command can only give the victim one single use of a Dominate power then that means Chain of Command can only ever give a single use of Mesmerize to the victim. But if that's the case, why does the book say the vampire plants one of her Dominate effects deep within the victim and not just "the vampire plants one use of Mesmerize deep within the victim"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
                Can Chain of Command be used to give the 'link' a single use of anything else than just Mesmerize?
                This has come up.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post

So just so I got this right: Chain of Command can indeed only effectively Mesmerize 3rd parties when the 3rd party is someone new, but it can be used to inflict Iron Edict or any of the other Dominate abilities if the 3rd party is already under influence of Entombed Command?

For example, having my "herald" Billy use Iron Edict through Chain of Command isn't going to do anything on an entirely new person, but what I could do is Entomb Command someone with Mesmerize and the instruction "when you see Billy, listen to him carefully" ("listen to him carefully" is only 4 words, so it fits Mesmerize) and then when I decide to make use of this Entombed Commanded "sleeper agent", I can send Billy with a single use of Iron Edict to further instruct the "sleeper agent", because the Entombed Command makes sure the "sleeper agent" is under the influence of Mesmerize when Billy uses Iron Edict on him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
                    So just so I got this right: Chain of Command can indeed only effectively Mesmerize 3rd parties when the 3rd party is someone new, but it can be used to inflict Iron Edict or any of the other Dominate abilities if the 3rd party is already under influence of Entombed Command?
                    Entombed Command allows you to set a trigger by which somebody becomes Mesmerized and susceptible to orders and other depended uses of Dominate from you, which Chain of Command can piggyback off of to allow you to use a proxy to apply your specified uses of Dominate, thereby circumventing the stated limitation of Entombed Mesmerize ("If the vampire isn't present to capitalize…"), is my read. The biggest utility of the Devotion is that it compounds the degree to which Entombed Command expands the capabilities of your use of Dominate.

For example, having my "herald" Billy use Iron Edict through Chain of Command isn't going to do anything on an entirely new person, but what I could do is Entomb Command someone with Mesmerize and the instruction "when you see Billy, listen to him carefully" ("listen to him carefully" is only 4 words, so it fits Mesmerize) and then when I decide to make use of this Entombed Commanded "sleeper agent", I can send Billy with a single use of Iron Edict to further instruct the "sleeper agent", because the Entombed Command makes sure the "sleeper agent" is under the influence of Mesmerize when Billy uses Iron Edict on him?
                    You don't even need to specify "Billy" and Entombed Mesmerize is just "when you encounter this trigger, you are affected by the Mesmerized Condition" — all you need to do is give Billy instructions to apply your sleeper agent's Mesmerize trigger and convey your Iron Edict, which Chain of Command allows him to do as if he was you for the purposes of the Mesmerized Condition.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I KNOW this has been answered before, but fuck if I can find it.

How/when does Auspex force a Clash of Wills for Obfuscate 1-3? Is it when you use Auspex 1 in an area with Obfuscate at all, or would it be when you use Auspex 1 and the answer is someone who is Obfuscated? For instance, you don't Clash at the invisible man waiting to kill you if you use Auspex 1 to find the person most likely to give you what you want, but WILL if you ask who is most likely to hurt you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enokh View Post
                        I KNOW this has been answered before, but fuck if I can find it.

How/when does Auspex force a Clash of Wills for Obfuscate 1-3? Is it when you use Auspex 1 in an area with Obfuscate at all, or would it be when you use Auspex 1 and the answer is someone who is Obfuscated? For instance, you don't Clash at the invisible man waiting to kill you if you use Auspex 1 to find the person most likely to give you what you want, but WILL if you ask who is most likely to hurt you.
                        The question needs to be specific: is anyone hidden here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enokh View Post
                          I KNOW this has been answered before, but fuck if I can find it.

It's when you ask a question with Auspex to which the answer is covered by Obfuscate.

Examples:
                          Auspex 1: "Who here most wants to harm me" would Clash if that person is Obfuscated.
                          Auspex 2: "Is this person a supernatural" would Clash if that person uses Obfuscate to masquerade as a mortal.

It's not a specific rule that Auspex and Obfuscate will lead to Clashes. It's just an example since that's one of the more common situations where a Clash might occur.
                          When the question stated with Auspex would reveal something that Obfuscate has hidden, then there will be a Clash because both powers can't be resolved at the same time.

Comment

• Will Gargoyles ever be reprinted? or are they problematic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                              Will Gargoyles ever be reprinted? or are they problematic.
                              What would be problematic about them?

The reasons I can think of as to why they haven't been reprinted yet is that the 1e rules are still quite sufficient, there hasn't been a good book for them to be reprinted in, and they are kinda niche even though the concept is cool. They might be reprinted in a future book, but it's really up to whether they'll prioritise other stuff first (which I believe they will for at least some time forward).

Comment

• Does The Unholy have a write-up and stat block anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X