Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
    The 'we're cursed and ugly and lonely' thing is more of a Masquerade aspect of Nosferatu. It's not a way you have to go in Requiem, and you can have a hideous, isolated ventrue who's shunned by vampire society due to being unappealing.

That's not true. The ugly dirty sewer-dweller archetype is definitely a Masquerade aspect of the Nosferatu, but the Nosferatu being cursed, weird, lonely, and very much an isolated outsider, is an archetype from the Requiem. That's their whole shtick in the Requiem. The Requiem Nosferatu clan bane is literally called 'the Lonely Curse'.

Better to be feared than loved? Maybe, but Machiavelli was presuming the prince had a choice. The Nosferatu don’t have that choice. They’ll always be outsiders among outsiders; and even if they can wield that as a weapon, it’s a weapon that can cut back. Isolation is their lot, and isolation feeds the Beast.
    - p. 24 of Vampire the Requiem 2e
    Clan Bane (The Lonely Curse): You are an avatar of disgust. Dread and discomfort oozes from you, scabbing everything over in the putrid film of your rotting soul’s exhaust. Your body is warped, or the world around you warps. This could manifest in ways grotesque or subtle. Fear and all its gibbering siblings come easy for you. Most other forms of social communion do not. Yours is a lonely Requiem.
    - p. 25 of Vampire the Requiem 2e
    Nosferatu: The Lonely Curse
    Nosferatu embody fear, disgust, and all manner of uncomfortable feelings. Some are inhumanly ugly. Some have a gaze that makes a person feel violated. Every Nosferatu has something that stands in the way of normal relationships. When dealing with humans, treat the Nosferatu’s Humanity as two dots lower for the purpose of Social penalties, and treat any Presence and Manipulation failures as dramatic failures. This bane does not apply to interactions with Touchstones or Kindred.
    - p. 103 of Vampire the Requiem 2e
    Last edited by Ventrue Life; 12-04-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• Depends on what part of nofather's description you focus on.
      Cursed is something that's individual rather than being the default like in Masquerade. They're not really more cursed than any other Clan, but it's much more noticeable so Nosferatus are more prone to wallowing in it.
      Ugly is also not necessarily the case since the Clan Bane makes them unsettling which can range from the sewer dwelling morlocks from Masquerade to being too beautiful.
      Lonely is definitely true, but still markedly different from Masquerade since it primarily only affects mortals and not fellow Kindred. While Masqueratus always sucked on the social arena, Requieratus can be just as socially successful in the Danse Macabre as any other Clan. If other Kindred treats them differently it's mostly because of prejudice since Kindred are only marginally affected by the Lonely Curse (to the point where it doesn't mechanically affect Kindred at all).

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I think the Implication is that Neglatu have a clan, but most Neglatu are never Just that clan.
        you have to have been a revenant to join the Neglatu, and most are raised directly from revenant to bloodline, and gain the clan of whoever uplifted them from being a revenant.

if a revenant has already been uplifted, then obviously they have a clan and must share clan with the avus inducting them into the bloodline, so clearly the Neglatu have clan.
        though the implication is that this doesn't happen very often.

Comment

• Does it discuss the social ramifications of Majesty/Dominate use in polite Kindred society anywhere?

I have a game coming up and I want to make sure I nail these down correctly. Kindred aren't stupid, and they know that their brethren have the ability to use abilities like this - I'm just wondering how their would be handled at eg. an Elysium.

Majesty I could see being something of a faux pas if you get caught at it (which you probably would?). Dominate feels much more like a direct attack on the victim, though. Any guidance?

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
            Does it discuss the social ramifications of Majesty/Dominate use in polite Kindred society anywhere?

I have a game coming up and I want to make sure I nail these down correctly. Kindred aren't stupid, and they know that their brethren have the ability to use abilities like this - I'm just wondering how their would be handled at eg. an Elysium.

Majesty I could see being something of a faux pas if you get caught at it (which you probably would?). Dominate feels much more like a direct attack on the victim, though. Any guidance?
            There are no hard and fast rules for this. I'd say it differs from domain to domain, and every Kindred will have their own personal opinions on this, so you have some creative license as a Storyteller here. That being said, it's generally frowned upon to use Disciplines on elysium ground, even Disciplines that aren't violent in a direct way. It might not always be a punishable offense, unless the keeper of elysium says so. But don't be surprised if you're no longer welcome in most elysiums if you keep using Mesmerize on elysium ground, especially if you're a newbie neonate.

My advice? Have the keeper of elysium set some clear boundaries for his elysium when the players arrive for the first time, or have one of the player's Kindred mentors or allies point out what the etiquette of the elysium in question is, and stick to it. If the players break the rules, have them be physically removed from the elysium, with potential additional social consequences for their disrespectful behavior. If they keep breaking the elysium rules, have them be banned from the elysium, possibly even all elysiums in the domain if news travels fast.
            If you want to encourage proper behavior in the players, have their coterie be judged as a whole, instead of individuals. If one coterie member fucks up, the whole coterie will suffer the consequences. That way there will be social pressure from the other players to behave.

Comment

• So here's a question of my own:

Under typical circumstances, how much Vitae does a human body contain? Does it contain as much Vitae as they have Health? Or does it contain twice as much Vitae as their Health? Given that 1 Vitae drained does 1 Lethal damage, so theoretically you could then keep draining the victim until she's full Aggravated damage, giving you a total amount of Vitae equal to twice her health score. That seems like the logical conclusion, but that also means an average human holds around 14 Vitae, allowing the majority of Kindred to completely top off on Vitae reserves by simply draining 1 human of her blood. That seems a little excessive to me and I don't think draining a human completely should more or less guarantee your vampire completely filling his Vitae reserves.

Of course there are some ways around this. For starters, not every human is healthy. Some humans might already have damage from fights, diseases, environmental conditions (being outside in the cold), already being fed on before, etc, effectively lowering that human's amount of Vitae. But even then, a human would have quite a bit of Vitae left for the vampire to take, if you go by the idea that a human can provide Vitae until she's fully filled with Aggravated damage.

So, how do you guys work around this? Just spitball it? Throw the mechanics out of the window for the sake of creating drama? How much Vitae do you guys give your human NPCs on average?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
                So here's a question of my own:
                Under typical circumstances, how much Vitae does a human body contain? Does it contain as much Vitae as they have Health?
                This one is answered explicitly in the core.

Originally posted by Vampire the Requiem 2E, Page 95
                Kindred can pull a number of Vitae from a mortal equal to the mortal’s unmodified Health dots.

Comment

• Which means available Vitae and damage are at least partly separated. With such a separation it's not actually known how fast humans regain their Vitae potential since it's not stated. It could be when they heal the damage (which could vary depending on whether they receive medical attention, if the damage is upgraded, or if additional damage postpones the healing of the Vitae draining damage) or it could be after a set amount of time, such as every two days (which is the unmodified healing time for lethal damage) or every day (which is how often a phylactery containing a human soul produces Vitae).

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Thanks guys.

So here's another question:

I somehow distinctly remember that during combat in Chronicles of Darkness, each combat round, the intent of every participant is declared in reverse Initiative order, and then all the actions are actually carried out in the normal Initiative order. The idea behind it being that people higher in the Initiative can react to what the people lower in the Initiative list are attempting to do. However, I can't for the life of me find this rule in any of the 1e or 2e books. Is this a homebrew or optional rule that I somehow remembered as being a core rule?

Comment

• That was sort of how 1st edition Advanced Dungeons And Dragons worked. (It made Haste and Blink in combat pretty much mandatory) I played in a Werewolf the Apocalypse and Vampire the Masquerade game where it worked that way as well but it dragged out the duration of combat and made multi-turn actions worthless. In our group, the latter further disincentivized participation or out of the box actions since they’d simply be interrupted or pre empted by the initiative winners.

Comment

Thanks guys.

So here's another question:

I somehow distinctly remember that during combat in Chronicles of Darkness, each combat round, the intent of every participant is declared in reverse Initiative order, and then all the actions are actually carried out in the normal Initiative order. The idea behind it being that people higher in the Initiative can react to what the people lower in the Initiative list are attempting to do. However, I can't for the life of me find this rule in any of the 1e or 2e books. Is this a homebrew or optional rule that I somehow remembered as being a core rule?

That rule would make Celerity interrupt the same of Celerity Initiative Jumps more or less. And by the way, as I interpret initiative, I don't like this rule because for me Initiative stands for who is faster in acting, and if I act first I shouldn't see what the opponent does, otherwise it would become a reaction not an action.
                        Last edited by Marcus; 12-06-2018, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• I think it's the way the One-Roll Engine works, which is itself based more or less on the World of Darkness engine.

Comment

You may have gotten some wires crossed with the first step of combat as a whole being "declare what every participating character is trying to accomplish." I can't otherwise think of where it could've come from in the text itself.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• What can permanently kill most vampires instead of just sending them into torpor until someone feeds them some vitae besides sunlight and fire? Can their personal banes do that? Doing something that breaks the torpor'd body down into minute pieces or less like putting it all through a grinder and/or having someone or something eat it? Does cutting off the head do anything?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                                What can permanently kill most vampires instead of just sending them into torpor until someone feeds them some vitae besides sunlight and fire? Can their personal banes do that? Doing something that breaks the torpor'd body down into minute pieces or less like putting it all through a grinder and/or having someone or something eat it? Does cutting off the head do anything?
                                Everything that causes as much aggravated damages as the healt boxes. That includes even normal damages since they can be uplifted to lethal and then aggravated everytime that the healt bar is full with previous type of damages.
                                Cutting the kindred body in minutes pieces has exactly this effect: dealing tons of damages until they reach full aggravated.
                                Let's say that a torpid vampire is defensless and can be killed if you are aware to not stop until it starts to decompose.
                                But a active vampire is a different story if it has high resilence that allows him to ignore damages even if the "cut" or injury is actually dealt.
                                Cutting off head it's not specified as a way to kill a vampire in 2nd edition. There has been a huge debate on it time ago.
                                I would personally say that no, it does not kill a vampire by default, unless the damage by itself isn't high enough to deal enough aggravated damages (so three times the health boxes considering resilence), but for sure cutting off the head during a fight would make the vampire defenseless until the head wouldn't regenerate.
                                Last edited by Marcus; 12-06-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X