Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Admiral Cheesecake View Post
    Hello. I've got another question. If someone has a skill that already has 9 again what happens if they then get a merit that also gives them 9 again for that roll?

Say someone has a weapon with 9-again but then also gets the dot of Professional training that gives them 9-again in an asset skill and that weapon skill is chosen?

Is it a wasted opportunity? Do they stack?
    As per the rules: Two 9-Agains doesn't stack unless either sources says that they do (which is rare but I've seen it in Werewolf).

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
    I don't know if this is officially in the book, but I've always ruled that if you get two sources of 9-again it becomes 8-again. If you get a third source, it becomes Rote, then 9-again Rote, then 8-again Rote (which is the maximum possible and is also frankly ridiculous, you don't need anything more than that).
    That's all house rules (especially how you handle Rote Action as that's separate dice trick unrelated to X-Again). It's not bad house rules unless you play Mage where you'd short out the extra hurdle generally required for Rote Action through spell casting.

Note that different dice tricks often means different things.
    X-Again is the most common and can represent how you easier get more successes as long as you get successes, meaning it's not easier to hit with heavy weapons that has 9-Again, but when you do hit they tend to score more successes and thus more damage. (It's not perfect due to Dodge rolls, though.)
    Rote Action represents doing by rote. Either because everything is drilled into you that you can basically do it blindfolded (like Professional Training) or because you have a manual or map that literally tells you exactly what to do.

What does lack any official ruling is what happens when you get 9-Again or 8-Again from one source but remove 10-Again from another.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

What does lack any official ruling is what happens when you get 9-Again or 8-Again from one source but remove 10-Again from another.
      You reroll a 9 or 8 but don't reroll a 10.

Comment

• Or 9-again and no-10-again cancel out, so you have 10-again and nothing else. Mathematically they're identical, so whichever is easier to remember.

Comment

• Vampires don't regain Willpower from daysleep, right?

Comment

• Rose has gone on record as saying that the intention is that they do not get Willpower from sleep. I believe she also said that it doesn't break anything if you allow it.

Comment

• Not by default.

Comment

• Stuff on Dhampirs, made me wonder... how would a Dhampir Child seek influence over their school? ideas how to do so as most of their powers take a lot of thought to use properly.

Another thing is how to Justify a retainer at a young age

one idea is curse of aphrodites favor cast on their behalf by their parwents ort at their behest.
                Last edited by Prince of the Night; 04-29-2019, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• If you have the Acute Senses merit, does it let you add your Blood Potency twice to sensory rolls that already include Blood Potency? For example, all vampires can add their Blood Potency to rolls to detect someone hidden with Obfuscate 3. Does a vampire with Acute Senses get to add their Blood Potency a second time? I think the answer is yes, as it seems appropriate that someone with Acute Senses should be better than average, but I'm not 100% sure if that's correct.

I'm also assuming that Acute Senses doesn't apply to uses of Auspex, as Auspex doesn't use the 'normal' senses that are boosted by Acute Senses. Is that how other people interpret the merit/discipline interaction?

Comment

• Originally posted by KathD View Post
                    If you have the Acute Senses merit, does it let you add your Blood Potency twice to sensory rolls that already include Blood Potency? For example, all vampires can add their Blood Potency to rolls to detect someone hidden with Obfuscate 3. Does a vampire with Acute Senses get to add their Blood Potency a second time? I think the answer is yes, as it seems appropriate that someone with Acute Senses should be better than average, but I'm not 100% sure if that's correct.
                    It seems that Acute Senses stacks with Kindred senses (which is what Obfuscate 3 references).

Originally posted by KathD View Post
                    I'm also assuming that Acute Senses doesn't apply to uses of Auspex, as Auspex doesn't use the 'normal' senses that are boosted by Acute Senses. Is that how other people interpret the merit/discipline interaction?
                    Auspex doesn't use your senses at all, except for relaying the information in the answers you get. I would also say no to anything affecting Discipline activation rolls unless it explicitly states it affects Discipline activation rolls or the actual traits used in the dice pool.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Yes you would add Blood Potency again on relevant perception checks.

Auspex doesn't augment the five senses anymore so you wouldn't use it on perception checks in that respect. You use it to get specific information about a specific victim or specific object or specific place that your five senses wouldn't be able to detect.

Comment

• If I use Dominate To change someones memories, to keep them from knowing Im using Conditioning on them, does progress of conditioning Survive.

Comment

• Yes. Their memories of what was going on at the time they were being Conditioned is going to correspond to whatever their memories were altered to be. Changing the memories doesn't change the Conditioning.
                          Last edited by tsusasi; 05-02-2019, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• tsusasi I'm pretty certain Auspex does boost your traditional five senses.

When using Auspex in a scene, you multiply the range of your senses by your amount of dots in Auspex. When tasting blood with Auspex active, you gain a +2 dice bonus.

I'm referring to 'Kindred Senses' and 'A Taste of Blood' on page 90 and 91 of Vampire the Requiem Second Edition.

The book doesn't explain what "Auspex active" means, but I assume using 'Beast's Hackles' or 'The Spirit's Touch' in that scene counts as activating Auspex for the purposes of determining whether the Kindred's five senses are enhanced or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomorrow's Nobody View Post
                              When using Auspex in a scene, you multiply the range of your senses by your amount of dots in Auspex.
                              The Auspex modifier for Kindred Senses is a permanent boost, not only when you've used Auspex in the scene. Regardless, regular use of Auspex is definitely not based on your senses since it can reveal information that should be completely imperceptible to you. Hence no Acute Senses to Auspex activation rolls.

Originally posted by Tomorrow's Nobody View Post
                              The book doesn't explain what "Auspex active" means, but I assume using 'Beast's Hackles' or 'The Spirit's Touch' in that scene counts as activating Auspex for the purposes of determining whether the Kindred's five senses are enhanced or not.
                              I'm pretty sure the "active Auspex" modifier is a relic from earlier drafts that snuck through editing. Editing is one of OPP's weak points.

Comment

• You don't roll range for your Mekhet. You are either in range or not in range. In a sense that's an enhancement but it's not anything the player rolls to determine which is what the poster was asking about. And your Mekhet still gets +0 to perception checks unless he's lapping up blood, a flat +2 bonus for tasting blood and only for the purpose of identifying the owner.

Active means the player spends the vitae or willpower, or uses the reflexive or instant action to activate the power, rolls the dice to determine the results. Since Auspex states every use after the first one in a scene requires vitae to continue using, it's obvious that Auspex doesn't "stay on".

Comment

Working...
                                X