Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heroofthemists View Post
    Nightmare 5. Does it effect Kindred?

If it does is the damage downgraded to bashing?
    There's an old debate on it. Reading the text and the effect described it should not. But someone (rightly) pointed out it is a level 5 discipline which would be definitely too weak if not.
    There's no official answer to this question though. So go for whatever you feel right.

Comment

I don't see why not.
      About the way vampires are hurt:
      "Kindred take only bashing damage from many sources that
      would normally cause lethal damage to humans. This includes
      most non-supernatural weapons. "
      "Those few terrible things that cause aggravated wounds"
      to mortals cause only lethal harm to vampires. This mostly
      includes terrible harm from chemicals, certain supernatural
      punishment, and the skills of utmost masters in certain fighting
      styles meant to maximize debilitating bodily harm. "
      "Few rare perversions of nature - Disciplines, Devotions,
      and sorceries - cause aggravated wounds to Kindred. "

It does not fall into any definition if damage category decreases. He is not a non-supernatural weapon, he really is a form of supernatural punishment but does no natural aggravated damage, and he is a kind of nature perversion (Discipline) but nothing is specified if he should cause aggravated damage in text. Then either he simply does the normal damage described, or would do aggravated damage.

Comment

I would lean towards yes, it does downgrade from lethal to bashing on kindred due to it not calling itself out as an exception, like protean 4 does. On the other hand, this is the fifth dot of a discipline, so treating it as an exception to the downgrade is fair enough.

Comment

• I always thought it weird that it affects vampires at all. It's described as working due to the fear response, stopped heart, inability to sleep; these are all things that do not affect vampires. Fear does, certainly, but not the physiological affects of it.

It certainly makes sense to downgrade it, and it lines up with RAW.

People keep noting it's a level five Discipline, but this is the only power (not just the only Discpline, but the only power within any non-Bloodline Discipline) that does direct damage. That's noteworthy on its own. Even Protean requires you to actually perform an attack and hit after activating it. On top of that, it inflicts the Broken Condition and lowers the target's Composure for days. It's pretty potent even without Lethal damage.

Comment

• So, the way that most of nightmare works makes me think of a fever/delerium. Like, I think of Nightmare 1 as making the victim's brains glitch similar to a really bad fever or sleep deprivation. They're blinking and sick and unsteady and unsure of what's real and what's being done to them.

With Ntmr 4, whatever I did to you with 1 now stays in you. Even if I die, you are now sick and you carry the hallucination with you. I'm not sustaining the hallucinations, you are.

So I kind of want to have Nightmare 5 extend that illness theme. It's not just the fear reaction that is harming you, whatever I did to make you hallucinate is inherently harmful. I dunno what. Maybe something with the blood? I feel like that might be a fun scene to describe: the dude is freaking out at nothing, and suddenly his blood starts tearing itself out of him.

Comment

*Affect

And yes.

I don't think it would, as it's neither mundane nor purely physical.

Question:

Does the Daeva's Wanton Curse apply to blood taken from Mages? Mages occupy a weird "mortal, but not really" space in CofD.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• I would say yes, anything they can get Vitae from can be the target of their dependency, whether that's animal, human, Mage, Uratha, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

*Affect

And yes.

I don't think it would, as it's neither mundane nor purely physical.

Question:

Does the Daeva's Wanton Curse apply to blood taken from Mages? Mages occupy a weird "mortal, but not really" space in CofD.
                  I like to have fun with blood from creatures other than human. I would make the mage blood taste very vibrant and full of energy or make it depended upon which type of magic they have as a major, You could add some of that flavor into the blood to give each a unique taste and then maybe they could gain an addiction to mage blood. Or the reverse a paranoia about feeding on strange...

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                  Current Focus
                  Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                  Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

• When creating a character, do the RAW dictate that your primary, secondary, and tertiary skills have to correspond to your primary, secondary, and tertiary attributes? If your physical attributes get the primary dots, can the mental skills get primary amount of dots?

Comment

• That is correct. Your skill allotment does not need to correspond with your attribute allotments.

Comment

• Thank you sir.

Comment

• i'm a bit lost between Social Maneuvering, Lingua Bellum, debate in Requiem for Rome, and Social Combat.

i'm running a 2e RfR game. should i replace the debate rules for Linuga Bellum, or will they work fine in 2e?

i've only heard of Social Combat. what is it, where can i find it, and how is it different from Social Maneuvering (with the doors and such?)

thanks!

Comment

• Social Maneuvering are the rules for attempting to convince someone to do something, through soft manipulation or hard leverage. It's flexible enough that it can be used for basically anything you'd want to convince the other party of.

Lingua Bellum are the rules for a verbal pissing contest. While rooted in the in-game history of debates in the Camarilla, it's not rules for actually debating anything. It's about socially dominating the opponent rather than discussing a specific topic or trying to convince the audience of your point.

I haven't read the actual debate rules from RfR so I couldn't tell you how they differ from Lingua Bellum. I'm also not sure about social combat, but from the name it seems to fit the same niche as Lingua Bellum (lit. Tongue/Language of War).

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• cool, thanks! i found Social Combat, it was an optional system in Danse Macabre.

Comment

• One of the humanity 6 breaking points is to survive a car crash. Does this mean any kind of crash, or only ones that would inflict significant damage (damage a human likely wouldn’t be able to survive)? For example: would driving your car through a wall but suffering no actual damage to your body trigger a breaking point roll?

Comment

Working...
                                X