Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
    One of the humanity 6 breaking points is to survive a car crash. Does this mean any kind of crash, or only ones that would inflict significant damage (damage a human likely wouldn’t be able to survive)? For example: would driving your car through a wall but suffering no actual damage to your body trigger a breaking point roll?
    Breaking points in Vampire are about inhuman things, primarily. I'd only make the player roll if it were something that would kill a human—you get into a head-on collision on the highway, soak the damage with Resilience, and walk away unscathed, for example.

Comment

• My Gangrel PC went to an ER, slashed her wrists and activated blush of life so she could get a blood transfusion. I treated it as a Breaking Point because the decision to self-harm was made because she knew that there was no real damage.

Comment

• Beast lasts until it achieve its goal. Nothing can change such goal, just deviate the inmediate objective.
        Question is: can the Beast change it's goal, spontaniously, in extreme situation. E.g.: Vampire fall in Angry Frenzy. Want to kill that guy. Circunstances then changes and fire come into play. Building is on fire. Can the frenzy change into fear frenzy?

Comment

• Yes. Personally I don’t require it to be an existential threat to alter it so much as the realization that the same or better outcome could be the result of altering immediate goals with minimal effort or wait time. In your anger frenzy scenario, the vampire could witness his kill target is directing its efforts to breaking someone else out of a deathtrap. The vampire could proceed to attack or decide to accelerate the other’s approach towards the deathtrap. (I usually require a penalized intelligence roll depending on the type of modification of the goals.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcus View Post
            Beast lasts until it achieve its goal. Nothing can change such goal, just deviate the inmediate objective.
            Question is: can the Beast change it's goal, spontaniously, in extreme situation. E.g.: Vampire fall in Angry Frenzy. Want to kill that guy. Circunstances then changes and fire come into play. Building is on fire. Can the frenzy change into fear frenzy?
            By RAW, it's a clear no.
            Should they be able to? Definitely. One way to handle it is to reroll if you'd encounter a new Frenzy trigger. Either roll as if you were resisting (with appropriate penalties), or use the penalties that should've applied as its own dice pool (i.e. -3 means rolling 3 dice) with success shifting the goal.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Changing Frenzy-target should deffinitely be possible (I use Face of the Beast, you fear frenzy and run into the building that I have lit on fire, you nope right out of there).

But changing Frenzy-type, if possible, should be difficult. I feel like part of the "problem" presented by Frenzy, is that your behavior is locked in to an extent.

Comment

• 2e largely did away with different types of Frenzy. It's easy to divide most Frenzy triggers into three categories, but they're not handled separately and any naming conventions for them are probably in-game terms at this point.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I'm pretty sure the type of frenzy is implicitly relevant.

You can use Disciplines to shift the target from yourself to another during an anger or hunger frenzy, but I dont think you can use Dominate to move them from hunger frenzy to fear frenzy (though maybe Nightmare?)

When riding the wave, which let's you decide target/type, I don't think you can choose a fear trigger as the target of a hunger frenzy. You don't want to chomp flames, no matter how pretty they look.
                  Last edited by DubiousRuffian; 01-02-2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
                    When riding the wave, which let's you decide target/type, I don't think you can choose a fear trigger as the target of a hunger frenzy. You don't want to chomp flames, no matter how pretty they look.
                    Of course you can't change to a Frenzy goal that isn't valid. Even if the Frenzy trigger was spillt blood and lack of Vitae, you can't Ride the Wave and choose to feed from a rock either. You can, however, choose to Ride the Wave and change the goal from feeding to fleeing the confrontation that caused the blood to be spillt, or to beating up the guy who hurt someone in your presence.

Edit: The reason you can divide most Frenzy triggers into the three old types is because they correspond to base desires that the Beast would most often want to comply with. But when you encounter a Frenzy trigger you don't determine which type of Frenzy it is; you just determine what the Beast's goal would be from that particular context. Depending on the context it can be as vague as "must feed" to something as specific as "show my dominance over this particular individual".
                    Last edited by Tessie; 01-02-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• I think at this point we just have a verbal disagreement. I am straight up calling the different categories of frenzy goals "frenzy-types". The only thing that I think hinges on this disagreement is whether we think that you could change targets, without riding the wave or other intervention, if the new target had the same category of trigger.

So if the trigger is that you threaten my touchstone and as I beat you, your henchman attacks my touchstone. I think that I can naturally change targets there. If, while I'm now killing your henchman, you set the building on fire, I think it ought to be more difficult to run away than it was to turn on the henchman.

Say that I cut my finger while you're low on blood, and as you approach me, a stabbing victim steps through the door. I think that if the stabbing victim is more convenient for you, you'd go after the stabbing victim. But if, while you go after the stabbing victim, someone else shoots you, I think you might need to roll to resist the current frenzy rather than go straight to fight/flight.
                      Last edited by DubiousRuffian; 01-03-2020, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• Do you mean Frenzy types as in Frenzy/Rötschreck/Wassail from first edition, or Frenzy types as in a base desire from a non-exhaustive list where specific target would be a qualifier? Because the former doesn't exist, while the latter is more accurate if somewhat reductive.

Comment

• Do vampires suffer tilts like Stunned or Arm Wrack?
                          And if they do, how much damage should they heal to remove the tilt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
                            Do vampires suffer tilts like Stunned or Arm Wrack?
                            And if they do, how much damage should they heal to remove the tilt?
                            I would say no on Stunned but yes on Arm Wrack: if their arm is removed, they can't really use it for anything until they grow it back. Resolving works just the same as RAW: when the damage is healed, the tilt goes away. (They can just heal the damage a whole lot faster than a living human could.)

Comment

• How does the Nosferatu's Lonely Curse work from a in-character perspective?
                              The curse has to do with the Nosferatu's unnatural avatar, which often means disgusting and/or disturbing looks.

However, based on the rules, the Lonely Curse does not take effect until the Kindred descends to Humanity 6 for the first time.

My question is, what does that mean for a Nosferatu with clearly unnatural looks?

Do her deformities not exist until she falls to Humanity 6? I don't like this option because it removes all the cool drama of being ostricezed on day 1 of being turned. Plus it contradicts a lot of established lore.

Do her deformaties exist, but are somehow not a problem until Humanity 6? I also do not like this option as it makes clearly disgusting looks not affect the character at all until they hit Humanity 6, then magically everybody is now repulsed.

How do you deal with this at your table?

Comment

• Originally posted by guiskj View Post
                                However, based on the rules, the Lonely Curse does not take effect until the Kindred descends to Humanity 6 for the first time.

My question is, what does that mean for a Nosferatu with clearly unnatural looks?
                                Generally speaking, that they haven't descended to Humanity 6 yet.

The long slide downward into the alienating state of undeath is a big part of 2e's take on vampirism. The Curse applies irrespective of how subtly or unsubtly it warps your presence, but until it does you model characters looking weird and horrifying the same way you would without a specific strain of vampirism being involved. Take Striking Looks and wait for the other shoe to drop.

Resident Lore-Hound
                                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X