No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, as a vampire's Humanity drops, they tend to look more bestial and corpse like. In the case of the Nosferatu with a physical deformity it simply doesn't manifest until their Humanity drops to 6 the first time. Is it "magical"? Yes. Only humans are repulsed to the point that it causes a social penalty but everything else maybe just thinks you're gross looking but not to the point of it creating a social penalty. it's just as "magical" as the Mekhet who suddenly can't cross running water or is repelled by garlic when they never had any problem before. Or how the Daeva suddenly becomes addicted to their herd after a year without incident. The Ventrue just overnight decides everyone is just a tool to be used or that people aren't worth his time.
    Maybe in the case of the Nosferatu they acquired it as a direct consequence of their actions that caused their Humanity to drop. The Nosferatu's Humanity drops as a result of killing someone in their first frenzy and their face is scarred up because the victim fought back.

Comment

• Under the effects of a frenzy whose resistance roll got a dramatic failure, does the frenzy persist through the daysleep? (Can a character in such a frenzy enter the daysleep?)

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        Under the effects of a frenzy whose resistance roll got a dramatic failure, does the frenzy persist through the daysleep? (Can a character in such a frenzy enter the daysleep?)
        If the Frenzy hasn't ended, I'd start checking for attempting to stay up after dawn.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          Under the effects of a frenzy whose resistance roll got a dramatic failure, does the frenzy persist through the daysleep? (Can a character in such a frenzy enter the daysleep?)

The daysleep is a primordial needing for the very Beast. Frenzy is when Beast has the very control over you. I would not even allow to spend willpower to stay awake unless the situation is life threatening (survival is a Beastial instinct after all). I'd rather see the Beast follow its pray, feeling the sun arising, going to hide for rest. That's how the Beast act: it follow its very, primordial, instincts.

That's only my interpretation though.

Comment

• Technically speaking not even other Frenzy triggers seem to be able to change the Beast's mind when in Frenzy. It's quite single-minded once it gets into control.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• When two people are trying to subdue an enemy, how should the grappling roll works? Two separate rolls? Summing the first two dice pools? And who should do the move in the next turn?

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
                When two people are trying to subdue an enemy, how should the grappling roll works? Two separate rolls? Summing the first two dice pools? And who should do the move in the next turn?
                Thecnically speaking, whether you mean the roll to grab the opponent, you roll for each character in order of initiative with the cumulative defense malus for the defender.
                If you mean to obtain the control after alredy being in grapple, I can see 2 ways:

1. Sum the successes allowing the one who obtained more successes to decide the action
                2. use the teamwork rule: the most proficient character is the primary actor who add to his pool the successes rolled by the secondary actor. In the case the 2nd actor is obtaining (with his first roll) more successes than the ones obtained by the Primary, I'd allow the secondary to chose the move.

I personally go for the 2nd though because the presence of your mate is somehow also obstructing yourself, that's why I think apply teamwork is more correct than summing successes.
                Last edited by Marcus; 01-16-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcus View Post

Thecnically speaking, whether you mean the roll to grab the opponent, you roll for each character in order of initiative with the cumulative defense malus for the defender.
                  If you mean to obtain the control after alredy being in grapple, I can see 2 ways:

1. Sum the successes allowing the one who obtained more successes to decide the action
                  2. use the teamwork rule: the most proficient character is the primary actor who add to his pool the successes rolled by the secondary actor. In the case the 2nd actor is obtaining (with his first roll) more successes than the ones obtained by the Primary, I'd allow the secondary to chose the move.

I personally go for the 2nd though because the presence of your mate is somehow also obstructing yourself, that's why I think apply teamwork is more correct than summing successes.
                  The Teamwork rule is how I usually handle multiple grapplers against a single target.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                  Current Focus
                  Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                  Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

• Now if 2 opposing grapplers were playing wishbone with the target that would be an entirely different scenario.

Current Focus

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                      Now if 2 opposing grapplers were playing wishbone with the target that would be an entirely different scenario.
                      LOL. I'd just make that a plain opposed strength check.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsusasi View Post

LOL. I'd just make that a plain opposed strength check.
                        Does the wishbone get a roll?

Current Focus

Comment

• If you have multiple characters in a grapple and none of them are working together the way I would roll it is that whoever rolls highest picks a move and a target for that move and everybody else just wasn't able to accomplish anything in the scuffle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post

Does the wishbone get a roll?
                            They can get a stamina roll.

Comment

• What is the order of operations when applying environmental modifiers?

So like, say a character has Resolve + Composure = 4, and just got jumped/shot up in public (-1 wounded, -1 surprised). They delay frenzy to avoid a masquerade breach and play dead (+1 public, +1 delay) until nobody is looking. At the opportune moment, they sprint home because dawn is breaking (sunlight -1). They heal a little on the way and are now hungry (-2). Getting home, they discover their haven is on fire (important property -1). The character doesn't delay frenzy again, and rolls.

Negative Modifiers: -6
                              Positive Modifiers: +2

So during the roll, just adding everything together straightforwardly, you get 0 (chance die). But, you could apply the positive modifier after reaching chance die, and roll 2. How would you rule it?

Comment

• I don't remember a specific rule on this, but I always apply dice caps after I finish applying modifiers. So rather than hitting 'chance die' and stopping, I will go into negatives. If I am still negative after applying all modifiers, then I set it to a chance die. Also I add modifiers as they come. It seems kind of weird to lump all the negatives into one modifier, then apply it, then lump all the positives, then apply them, as you appear to be doing. It's extra bookkeeping for no real benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X