Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post

Ah, that's a fair interpretation and honestly as this is basically for an ordo project a feeding tube is even thematic.

Incidentally, i have done a setup somewhat like this in one of my games with an "independent" ghoul family feeding & "milking" one or more (collected) kindred donors through decades or centuries.

Comment

• Hey Vampire the Requiem peeps

I would like to confirm what I think I understand about powers and feels...

For example, I think i understand that if a vampire and a mage were in a crowded room, if the vampire uses a power the mage would feel the power. Not who, what or where but something.

If the mage had passive? / active ? mage sight, was looking near the vampire and he used a power that falls into purview then he would see something.

My final point is if obfuscte was used that it would not trigger a sense unless a specific arcana was fo used like mind vs obfuscate or an unveiling spell

Thanks for the feedback

(Also posting on Discord/Forum)

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
      Current Focus
      Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
      Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

• These are all Mage questions much more than Vampire questions, but anyway:

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
        Hey Vampire the Requiem peeps

I would like to confirm what I think I understand about powers and feels...

For example, I think i understand that if a vampire and a mage were in a crowded room, if the vampire uses a power the mage would feel the power. Not who, what or where but something.
        That's how Passive Mage Sight works, yes.

If the mage had passive? / active ? mage sight, was looking near the vampire and he used a power that falls into purview then he would see something.
        That's how Active Mage Sight works, yes.

My final point is if obfuscte was used that it would not trigger a sense unless a specific arcana was fo used like mind vs obfuscate or an unveiling spell

Thanks for the feedback

(Also posting on Discord/Forum)
        That's correct.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• 1. Assuming Obfuscate or some other power that works to conceal power usage is not also active, yes a mage would sense a supernatural power was used but no other specifics - being only slightly more useful than Detect Traps in D&D 5e.

2. Again, assuming some other protective or illusionary power is not at work, active Mage Sight reveals whatever relevant detection it provides if he looks in the direction of the vampire using the relevant powers.

3. If Obfuscate or other power is at work, I would not allow a passive detection to provoke a Clash of Wills but I would allow an active detection attempt to do so. I have played with STs who do coin flip or percentage roll to see if a Mage passively senses "something" is at work but penalizes the attempt to identify anything else. Kind of like running a metal detector and having it go off briefly but when you backtrack you don't get anything.

Comment

• Great thank you, the Vampires are the players and the Mages are the NPCs. I waffled over posting to Vampire of Mage but wanted it very specifically from the vampires view.

Great answers thank you.

Current Focus

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
              Great thank you, the Vampires are the players and the Mages are the NPCs. I waffled over posting to Vampire of Mage but wanted it very specifically from the vampires view.

Great answers thank you.
              Pag 25 of signs of sorcery clarify a lot mage sight.
              It can detect discipline usage qnd pinpoint the exact location if obfuscate is not in use

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

Pag 25 of signs of sorcery clarify a lot mage sight.
                It can detect discipline usage qnd pinpoint the exact location if obfuscate is not in use

Nice I will delve into SoS

Current Focus

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                  Core book says that partial cover from sunlight consider blood potency damage one step lower.
                  Does this mean that a bp 1 vampire are considered bp 0 (no damage) if partially covered?

Been a couple days, so I think I can answer this: yes. A BP1 vampire wearing, for example, a burqa or niqab would not take any damage so long as they're almost completely covered. Note the book says "If she only exposes her eyes ... consider her Blood Potency one step lower," so stuff like an umbrella or even normal heavy clothing and a hat probably wouldn't work.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure it's already been asked but...

What are the Lost Clans ? or which are, I guess ?

I know from A Thousand Years of Nights that the Julii and Akhud are still there, probably both numerous enough to be considered a small Clan, but an effective one, even if both have reasons to not reveal it (The Strix and the VII link, if I understood the references about the Akhud's past). The Pijavica are truly lost, with only one Elder who can't really create durable neonates.

But are they really so few that no one notices anything ? I mean, I guess that if all the Bloodlines from 1ed are a thing it's easy for them to hide, but in 2nd they seem far less numerous (which i kind of dig, by the way!)

Are there other Clans in the modern nights that I don't know off ? ANd what are their goals ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ur-Than View Post
                      I'm pretty sure it's already been asked but...

I know from A Thousand Years of Nights that the Julii and Akhud are still there, probably both numerous enough to be considered a small Clan, but an effective one, even if both have reasons to not reveal it (The Strix and the VII link, if I understood the references about the Akhud's past). The Pijavica are truly lost, with only one Elder who can't really create durable neonates.

But are they really so few that no one notices anything ? I mean, I guess that if all the Bloodlines from 1ed are a thing it's easy for them to hide, but in 2nd they seem far less numerous (which i kind of dig, by the way!)

Are there other Clans in the modern nights that I don't know off ? ANd what are their goals ?

Spilled Blood has the Bekaak and the Nhang and Amari as well as hints of others. Second edition didn't really eliminate the first edition bloodlines but give you different rules for making them (as well as, for the most part, no interest in retreading them mechanically).

You can create your own lost clans if you want, it seems basically encouraged by the text.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ur-Than View Post
                        I'm pretty sure it's already been asked but...

Are there other Clans in the modern nights that I don't know off ? And what are their goals ?
                        Some groups i remembered on a spur of moment thing:

- Ordo Dracul has the Vedma bloodline, that speaks of the Gangrel originating from them instead of the opposite.
                        - Invictus has the Annunaki, a Gangrel/Ventrue (?) bloodline of lords of the land that predates the covenant by millenia, making them also possibly older than the clans as we know them.
                        - Shadows of Mexico cites the Xolotl that while similar may or not be Nosferatu. Also, the Cihuateteo, who might be Daeva, Mekhet or something between.
                        - Night Horrors: Wicked Dead has the Formosae and also the earlier "not a clan, not even kindred" early version of the Jiang Shi. And a blood-witch version of the Cihuateteo, too.
                        - Shadows in the Dark: Mekhet cites in passing how the Norvegi bloodline originally came from a Clan Grettir in Iceland. It also has a variant form of Mekhet, the atavistic, haunted Hollows.
                        - Requiem 2e, coincidentally (?) also cites Iceland as one of the places prone to spawning the clan more popularly known as Jiang Shi.
                        - Dark Eras 2 has a new clan called Dukhan, or so i have heard.

So, there are some indeed, but origins or veracity can be somewhat confusing & dubious at times.

Part of the matter to remember is - how many of those kindred actually know they are from one clan and not the other?
                        For the Akhud, not knowing might be unusual, but Julii hiding out through ages, separated by generations and layers of half-truths & secrets from the nemeses have a far from the insignificant chance of being themselves unaware of any origins or identity beside Ventrue (or Gangrel).
                        Same could apply to any group of undead with discipline sets or dread powers awfully similar to the bag of tricks of one of the "big five".

That said, what if the Akhud's tale is a lie, there's no demon and they are all the brood of some old, insane and alien ancient hollow Mekhet parasiting the souls of all its descendants through a mix of blood magic & sympathy with something else? Or the Julii some independently spawned brood of what we know as Ventrue, and already existed in other, older, more distant lands without the knowledge of the arrogant roman kindred? History for the undead can be quite the unholy mess.

Damn, even though presented now as a separate clan, there's a ridiculous degree of mix-up between Jiang Shi and Hollow Mekhet. While 2e gives us a peculiar context in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) community where the Jiang Shi grew numerous - and in an organized enough manner - to form into the local equivalent of a new clan, it could be that in some other domain in another country they simply join a larger community of local Mekhet as a sort of Hollow Shadow Cult instead.

There was a time not too long ago the Jiang Shi were portrayed as not even kindred though similar in some ways, only for later on the writers to give us some special circunstances where these rare beings could thrive, to the point of joining and interacting with kindred to such a degree they evolved into a (local) clan, that might in time evolve into a global one. Or crash & burn and be forgotten except for collectors of esoteric trivia of the undead.

Who's to say the same could not happen - in the past, present or future - to any of the other things in Night Horrors: Wicked Dead or Spilled Blood? Damn, some of the beings in Wicked Dead have had previous iterations in older books if memory tricks me not (Cihuateteo in Shadows of Mexico & Wicked Dead both, the Aswang may be found in Wicked Dead, the Antagonists bluebook and somewhere else i forget), so "evolution of monsters" may be played with in a number of forms.

Things are far from clear cut and there are many ways for a ST to create and fit all kinds of weirdness, secret histories, mystery groups and lost secrets in their chronicles.
                        Last edited by Baaldam; 10-29-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• How would Vampires be affected during white nights? Would there be some exposure to the sun? I don't really have a clue how that looks, never experienced white nights.
                          Last edited by Dante[RU]; 11-15-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante[RU
                            ;n1424070]How would Vampires be affected during white nights? Would there be some exposure to the sun? I don't really have a clue how that looks, never experienced white nights.

I think this wiki article should help with you deciding on it yourself for a game. There's a comic book story - and film adaptation - centered in the opposite phenomenon.
                            Last edited by Baaldam; 11-16-2020, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• There is no hard rule but, in my opinion, night is night and sunlight is sunlight hence you will suffer the normal damages during a white night whatever hour it is. On the contrary you could stay awake and active the whole time a night last. This is compensate by the fact that, such places with so extreme situations, are very sparsely populated and unattractive for kindred.
                              Non the less there could be some lonely Gangrel/Nosferatu living and terrifying such places

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante[RU
                                ;n1424070]How would Vampires be affected during white nights? Would there be some exposure to the sun? I don't really have a clue how that looks, never experienced white nights.
                                My understanding is that Kindred wake at sundown, whenever that is, and that direct exposure to sunlight doesn't care if it's twilight or noon.

Staying indoors, underground, or behind buildings would limit any potential for damage, but the same pressures that are likely to affect vampiric activity cycles in less equatorial climates get turned up several notches in places with white nights.

High-Humanity Kindred will fare better, but otherwise you're looking at a much more pronounced cloistering of the All Night Society.

Resident Lore-Hound
                                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X