No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hows a member of one of the bloodlines that cant engage in any kind of social interaction with humanity without endangering the masquerade go about feeding?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
      hows a member of one of the bloodlines that cant engage in any kind of social interaction with humanity without endangering the masquerade go about feeding?
      Obfuscate. Other Disciplines. Blood dolls. Have your meals brought to you by ghouls and neonates.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

• one thing is I See no equilevent under nightmare of Masquerades paralyzing Stare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          one thing is I See no equilevent under nightmare of Masquerades paralyzing Stare.
          Dread Presence's quick illusions can be weaponized for the hunt. Aside from that, a literal "Dread Gaze" in Requiem could easily be a Nightmare Devotion based on Face of the Beast. A Devotion that simply turns the effect inflicted from Frightened to the Insensate Tilt (honestly, I would allow it to do that even without a Merit or Devotion, but not every ST might agree).

Comment

• So, you must have another book if you want to have decent Cruac and Sorcery rites?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante[RU
              ;n1426156]So, you must have another book if you want to have decent Cruac and Sorcery rites?
              Or devise your own. If you have access to Mage: the Awakening that might give you a grounding for how to make your own.

Aside from that, the following 2e books have more Rites:
              • Secrets of the Covenants
              • Thousand Years of Night
              In the Storyteller's Vault, there are also:
              • Rites of Damnation, which translates 1e's system for Mage-like freeform Blood Sorcery to 2e
              • Desecrated Rites, which makes the regular casting less static and has some good ideas how to improve Blood Sorcery without making it Bloody Creative Thaumaturgy

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post
                So, you must have another book if you want to have decent Cruac and Sorcery rites?
                I'm guessing you're referring to the Blood Sorcery book? Not exactly. It's a great tool for expanding on blood sorcery, if that's what you're after, but out of the two main problems with blood sorcery in the 2e core book, it only partly alleviates one of them.
                Due to word count we didn't get that many examples so there's a distinct lack of variety on various dot levels. In that regard any book that introduces additional rites helps. Secrets of the Covenants is probably the best second edition book for additional rites despite being mainly a fiction book. The Blood Sorcery book does not contain any additional rituals, but it can help by providing a few tools for designing new homebrew rites even if you don't use the expanded blood sorcery system.
                The second problem is the time necessary to carry out the rites. Players, like protagonists in most stories, are often reactive to whatever conflicts pop up even if they were the ones who caused the conflicts in the first place. That means by the time they realise they want to use a ritual, it's often too late to begin one due to how long it takes to activate. The only solution to this is house-ruling the time per roll to something a lot more manageable. I'd recommend one roll per minute unless you want to go back to 1e's one roll per turn.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Tessie To any other book that isn't corebook, basically, yes.

saibot I'll keep everything in mind, thanks.

Comment

• Does Obfuscate effect spirits (i.e. Uratha pack totems), or is there a caveat for ephemeral beings?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ssudd387 View Post
                      Does Obfuscate effect spirits (i.e. Uratha pack totems), or is there a caveat for ephemeral beings?

None afaik.

Comment

Does Obfuscate effect spirits (i.e. Uratha pack totems), or is there a caveat for ephemeral beings?
                        There is no hard rule but I'd say yes. Obfuscate is not invisibility, it affects senses and not only living ones as it works on Vampires with dead brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

There is no hard rule but I'd say yes. Obfuscate is not invisibility, it affects senses and not only living ones as it works on Vampires with dead brain.

Not to mention some of the Hollow-connected devotions in the Mekhet clanbook do seem to imply at least some degree of interface with ephemeral beings, if memory tricks me not - and i admit it might, so i advise a look into the book if you can instead of just taking my word on it, as it may inspire further ideas on exploring the subject.
                          Last edited by Baaldam; 12-09-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• About awakening a vampire from torpor
                            The book says
                            "As well, any vampire with two more dots of Blood Potency than she has can feed her a point of Vitae to awaken her "

Does the phrasing imply that the Blood must be given freely? Or any Blood, despite how It was obtained, would do the trick?

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
                              About awakening a vampire from torpor
                              The book says
                              "As well, any vampire with two more dots of Blood Potency than she has can feed her a point of Vitae to awaken her "

Does the phrasing imply that the Blood must be given freely? Or any Blood, despite how It was obtained, would do the trick?
                              Any Vitae would do, but note that Vitae outside of a vampiric body loses its potency quickly and reverts to a wild mix of random blood.

Comment

• Ok, so I've been reading France by Night and L'Hérésie Cathare (supplements in French for Vark Ages 20y Edition) and it got me thinking...

Do we know which clans were affiliated with the Romans, the Gauls, etc. in Europe ? As far as I can tell, no Clan is supposed to have their origin in Western Europe, save perhaps the Ventrues, who I guess could be the result of Roman Vampires Embracing natives of today's Northern France and thus changing their Blood, if they are indeed scions of the Julii.

So, in those ancien territories, which clans would have led for centuries, before the coming of Rome and everything after. Or did Vampires never came before Rome in those parts ? It could be quite intruiguing in itself (and to an even larger degree, to the Americas - are the First Nations and Natives Vampires truly Ventrues, Toréadors, etc. or is it just an easy way to classify them) ?

Do we have any knowledge about it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X