Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arduras View Post
    So I can do > Stamina lethal (and/or aggravated) to a limb and it's "permanently disabled/removed" (until they spent vitae for a new arm I guess) If I do bashing it's just the tilt. Okay ^^"
    Correct. It's a losing proposition to do this without say, a bane involved and considerably harder with a vampire with some degree of Resilience.

Comment

• Resilience doesn't actually stop any damage. It just reduces how much damage you note, if that makes sense. It's completely possible to lose a limb and take no damage due to using Resilience.

Edit: Basically, check for wracks before Resilience is applied.
      And yes, it becomes quite freaky when even a low BP vampire can regenerate entire limbs in a single turn as they heal the reduced damage.
      Last edited by Tessie; 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Rules as written, how does removing a limb work for a vampire? Seems to be some confusion here that aggravated damage is too rare a source to represent all the ways you can lose limbs (ie a slash/lethal weapon cutting it off)
        As per RAW, only aggravated damage causes permanent arm/leg wrack. If you want to be able to cause it with a sword or something that normally does lethal, I'd rule that it's possible if the damage is aggravated due to rollover.

For a vampire, most sources that normally deal aggravated damage only deal lethal to them, so I house rule that it can be made "permanent" with lethal damage, as long as the damage would have been aggravated to a mortal human.

As for regrowing lost limbs, Vitae will indeed do the trick. Though it may take a lot of Vitae to fully heal arm or leg wrack, so depending on the vampire's Blood Potency it may take a few turns.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• For Covenants, what are the limitations/restrictions? Reading through the lore is all well and good but what's stopping me, a Dragon with 2 Coils from picking up a Carthian Law? What are the actual rules around this, in terms of solid mechanics?

edit: Found it: Capped at 5 dots of combined covenant status, covenants outside your own can't be equal or greater than your main one.
          Last edited by Arduras; 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• The reason you can't buy stuff from Covenants is simply because they won't teach you unless you have Status in them. However, there are a multitude of reasons why someone might bend or break the rules in order to teach an outsider, so if you have a good reason for being able to buy Covenant exclusive stuff, go for it. For example my Ordo Gangrel (with 12 Coil dots, 2 Scales, and Sworn of the Dying Light, nonetheless, so quite the established dragon) has bought a CrĂșac dot and Rituals because he belongs to an inter-Covenant spanning secret society where there were people from Circle of the Crone willing to teach him.
            In the book Secrets of the Covenants there's also some Merits that may allow you to learn some of the secret stuff despite not being a full member. That's one way to go that has some actual rules.

Comment

• While it may not stop you from picking it up, the various Covenants are rather protective of their stuff. Demonstrating the knowledge may get you hunted down and killed, depending on the circumstances and the political situation of the Domain.

Comment

For Covenants, what are the limitations/restrictions? Reading through the lore is all well and good but what's stopping me, a Dragon with 2 Coils from picking up a Carthian Law? What are the actual rules around this, in terms of solid mechanics?

edit: Found it: Capped at 5 dots of combined covenant status, covenants outside your own can't be equal or greater than your main one.
                The only restrictions are that several of the Carthian Law merits actually require you to have more than 1 status in the Carthian Movement to buy. You can even circumvent the 5 total covenant status rule with a Carthian Law merit. You technically shouldn't be a 5 status Carthian, 2 status Ordo, 1 status Crone, 1 status Invictus, 1 status Lancea Sanctum member but you can do that with that merit and have access to everything.

Comment

• There is a common sense limitation that is seldom mentioned. Merits must be justified. A vampire that has spent their entire existence in a single city where, for example, the Circle and the Lance have been at war the entire time will not have status in the Circle and the Lance at the same time. There is no merit or trick to get around it. Sometimes a character just can't justify taking up a merit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diggs View Post
                    There is a common sense limitation that is seldom mentioned. Merits must be justified. A vampire that has spent their entire existence in a single city where, for example, the Circle and the Lance have been at war the entire time will not have status in the Circle and the Lance at the same time. There is no merit or trick to get around it. Sometimes a character just can't justify taking up a merit.
                    Unless he's a double agent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diggs View Post
                      There is a common sense limitation that is seldom mentioned. Merits must be justified. A vampire that has spent their entire existence in a single city where, for example, the Circle and the Lance have been at war the entire time will not have status in the Circle and the Lance at the same time. There is no merit or trick to get around it. Sometimes a character just can't justify taking up a merit.
                      When it comes to getting a covenant's signature abilities, common sense was poisoned, shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, wrapped up in a rug, and dumped in the river to drown. There are more ways to get proprietary knowledge without actually acquiring status in the relevant covenant that it's not even funny. Buying covenant status is simply the cheapest way to do it, not the quickest. ANYTHING can be justified, and ultimately it comes down to whether or not the ST permits it and there's a stigma attached to STs who say no, especially when its glaringly obvious that getting a covenant's signature abilities is an all you can eat buffet style, not dinner reservations at a 4-star restaurant.

Comment

• If you want something use Dominate to get it.

Comment

• You cannot fall into Torpor by loosing all your Willpower right? Also there isnt any negative effect mechanically when you are depleted from WP as Kindred

Comment

• What is the purpose of Synthesis Embodiment of Strix? What *is* the mental make up of the...thing that emerges? What are their memories? What...is???????

Comment

• Originally posted by Montgomery Crobes View Post
                              You cannot fall into Torpor by loosing all your Willpower right? Also there isnt any negative effect mechanically when you are depleted from WP as Kindred
                              The negative effect of having no willpower is not being able to spend willpower.

That's a lot more serious than it sounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
                                What is the purpose of Synthesis Embodiment of Strix? What *is* the mental make up of the...thing that emerges? What are their memories? What...is???????
                                An option to shake things up in case a character is expecting 'just' possession from the enemy. It also allows for some pretty weird combinations when you get strix-werewolves and stuff.

It seems to resemble Claiming a bit, so I'd say that a strix retains its own memories and can access those of its host. But the strix is fully in charge, though it may gain new interests in case of its new body, like weird ticks or habits. That's just a storyteller thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X