Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
    I am confuse as how that works, the text seems to imply that thing go particularly well but the examples given seems of things that are bad for the PC, like the police having a description of the PC.
    "When things go as intended, the vessels give context for the vampire's existence." The examples given are for abstract involvement of a former vessel in a scene — you could also just have the vessel be in the same place as your character in a later scene.

On page 105 on "Ridding the Wave" it says
    […]
    Does that mean the PC needs to reach the 5 success on a single roll or can accumulate the successes in various rolls?
    The explicit comparison to resisting frenzy would seem to indicate that once you stop rolling you drop into frenzy, since normal resistance is "spend Willpower for X turns, then roll Resolve + Composure + X to see if you succumb to frenzy."

On page 203, under "frenzy and the predatory aura" in regard to the Strix it says
    […]
    Does that mean a Vampire can always feel a vampire when he is using obfuscation? Doesn't that kind of invalidate the power?
    Not really:
    Originally posted by Cloak of Night
    The vampire can also spend a point of Vitae when activating Face in the Crowd to vanish completely. Rather than being overlooked or “just an average person,” the vampire disappears from the perception of everyone around him.

If the vampire attacks someone or cries out, Cloak of Night continues to obscure him, adding Obfuscate to the surprise roll. Only the struck victim can perceive the vampire.

If another vampire manages to perceive him, through Auspex, attack, or any other means, she can sense his predatory aura and lash out. If she wins the predatory aura contest, Cloak of Night shatters, as does any other use of Obfuscate the vampire made.
    A vampire who is invisible but talking to another vampire registers to Kindred senses as being a talking vampire that the listener cannot see.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      The explicit comparison to resisting frenzy would seem to indicate that once you stop rolling you drop into frenzy, since normal resistance is "spend Willpower for X turns, then roll Resolve + Composure + X to see if you succumb to frenzy."
      Okay but my question is more along the lines of Riding the wave would function like

A) Turn 1: PC spend WP, rolls and get 2 successes. Holds off frenzy for a turn.
      Turn 2: PC spend WP, rolls and get 3 successes. Hold off frenzy for a turn.
      Turn 3: PC spend WP, rolls and get 5 successes, thus an exceptional success and rides the wave.

or
      B) Turn 1: PC spend WP, rolls and get 2 successes. Holds off frenzy for a turn.
      Turn 2: PC spend WP, rolls and get 3 successes. Has accumulate 5 successes in 2 turns and thus rides the wave.

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Not really:A vampire who is invisible but talking to another vampire registers to Kindred senses as being a talking vampire that the listener cannot see.
      My bad there, i should have clarified. I mean more on things like the typical Nosferatu spies as information network. If a vampire (say a Daeva) enters a room and a nosferatu is hiding spying in the same room via obfuscate then the Daeva knows there is another vampire in the room?
      Last edited by LokiRavenSpeak; 10-29-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
        Okay but my question is more along the lines of Riding the wave would function like

A) Turn 1: PC spend WP, rolls and get 2 successes. Holds off frenzy for a turn.
        Turn 2: PC spend WP, rolls and get 3 successes. Hold off frenzy for a turn.
        Turn 3: PC spend WP, rolls and get 5 successes, thus an exceptional success and rides the wave.

or
        B) Turn 1: PC spend WP, rolls and get 2 successes. Holds off frenzy for a turn.
        Turn 2: PC spend WP, rolls and get 3 successes. Has accumulate 5 successes in 2 turns and thus rides the wave.
        "Accumulates" means the latter is how Riding the Wave functions, yes. Regular frenzy resistance comes down to one roll in which you either enter frenzy (until you satisfy the inciting drive or hit a breaking point) or don't (and either gain/exacerbate the Tempted Condition or recover the Willpower you spent), whereas riding the wave has you roll every turn to allow you to pick the drive you pursue at the risk of locking yourself into a breaking point down the line if you fail any of them.

My bad there, i should have clarified. I mean more on things like the typical Nosferatu spies as information network. If a vampire (say a Daeva) enters a room and a nosferatu is hiding spying in the same room via obfuscate then the Daeva knows there is another vampire in the room?
        …No? The section you were asking about specifically concerned the fact that Strix register a Predatory Aura regardless of their current shape or body, but Face in the Crowd's core powers are based on turning the Predatory Aura off/inside-out; it's part of a flavor statement that Kindred will not by default assume that registering the presence of a strange vampire they can't see means they're talking to an atavistic shadow-owl, so any contradiction it implies with the mechanics can be dismissed as unintentional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          "Accumulates" means the latter is how Riding the Wave functions, yes. Regular frenzy resistance comes down to one roll in which you either enter frenzy (until you satisfy the inciting drive or hit a breaking point) or don't (and either gain/exacerbate the Tempted Condition or recover the Willpower you spent), whereas riding the wave has you roll every turn to allow you to pick the drive you pursue at the risk of locking yourself into a breaking point down the line if you fail any of them.

…No? The section you were asking about specifically concerned the fact that Strix register a Predatory Aura regardless of their current shape or body, but Face in the Crowd's core powers are based on turning the Predatory Aura off/inside-out; it's part of a flavor statement that Kindred will not by default assume that registering the presence of a strange vampire they can't see means they're talking to an atavistic shadow-owl, so any contradiction it implies with the mechanics can be dismissed as unintentional.

Okay, thanks for the clarifications

Comment

• Celerity:

Is it possible to use the second active ability of Celerity to move out of reach of an attach and then attack during the same interruption?
            To be even clearer : is the following example correct? (and if it isn't ...Why? And most importantly,How?)

Quasimodo the Nosferatu is attacking Belle the Daeva with an axe.
            So, during his turn, Quasimodo moves in reach with Belle and then declares to attack her with Weaponry.
            Belle, before the dice are rolled, responds that wants to use celerity. She expends one Vitae and uses her instant action to attack Quasimodo with her knive. Because of the fact that she has made an instant action, she can immediately make a movement, and so she does, exiting Quasimodo's range of attack.
            From the moment that Quasimodo has already moved and his declared action is no longer possible, the round ends.

Furthermore don't you think that if used in this way Celerity becomes way too powerful? Maybe to the point that no other Physical discipline is better?
            And if you don't, why do you disagree ?
            ( If it's possible i am expecially intrested in the point of wiew of the Book Designers )

Thank you from Rome

Comment

• Celerity does not let you interrupt someone with your full turn; it only lets you interrupt with a "brief action." You can move or you can attack; you cannot do both during the interrupt.

In specific:

Originally posted by strikeforce1 View Post
              Because of the fact that she has made an instant action, she can immediately make a movement, and so she does, exiting Quasimodo's range of attack.
              is the mistake here. You don't get to move because you made an Instant Action. The two are unrelated entirely. You get one "brief action" during Celerity's interrupt, not two.

Comment

• Originally posted by strikeforce1 View Post
                Celerity:

Is it possible to use the second active ability of Celerity to move out of reach of an attach and then attack during the same interruption?
                You could move behind them or just leave yourself a few steps out of reach so you can close the gap on your turn (assuming I haven't overlooked something in the rules), all in all I don't think Celerity is overpowered because if you try and use it like that your only going to get away with it in a one on one fight and will burn through your Vitae fast.

Comment

• Thank you for your answers !
                  Which anyway lead me to this :

Celerity (2) :

It is written that using the second Active ability of Celerity,the character can make a brief action before an action that an other subject has declared takes place.
                  " This could be an attack, making it possible to disable an opponent in mid-action. It may be movement, avoiding harm by shifting out of reach. Or it could be any other instant action, like activating a Discipline or dodging"

In what is written seems that moving is considered an istant action, like activating a discipline. Still, from the rules, usually movement is not an istant action; on the contrary "A character can move his Speed in a single turn and still take an Instant Action".

Therefore :

1) the moving istant action mentioned in Celerity must be a double movement Action?

2)It is possible to do something less expensive in term of time than an Istant Action during the reaction made with Celerity ?
                  To make an example, can I make the Reflexive Action granted me by Sleight of Hand during the interruption and still make my Istant Action during my turn?

3)Even further, can I move during the interruption and still take an Istant Action during my turn, or the movement action made during the interruption has to be an Istant Action ?

Comment

• What happens, mechanically, if you're made to forget your Touchstone through Dominate or similar channels?

Comment

• Originally posted by strikeforce1 View Post

1) the moving istant action mentioned in Celerity must be a double movement Action?

2)It is possible to do something less expensive in term of time than an Istant Action during the reaction made with Celerity ?
                      To make an example, can I make the Reflexive Action granted me by Sleight of Hand during the interruption and still make my Istant Action during my turn?

3)Even further, can I move during the interruption and still take an Istant Action during my turn, or the movement action made during the interruption has to be an Istant Action ?
                      My understanding is, that the move action that is done as an interruption, is only your normal speed at most. Unless you use a second blood to make it 2xSpeed. So 2 blood potency is needed.

Reflexive actions can be done at any time even without Celerity. They cost no time and can be done even on an enemy's turn. Healing with blood is a reflexive and so is stuff like the Resilience discipline. So you can lessen damage even after attack dice have been rolled.

As far as I'm aware, a Celerity action does not impede your normal turn, so it's the only thing that allows you to have more that 1 attack in a round. But you can't use it to do a third attack, as in interrupt with a Celerity attack twice then do your normal turn.

Or does the Celerity attack remove that ability to do your normal turn? That seems kinda weak if that is true. The wording is kind of unclear, it says
                      "However, the vampire is still limited to one instant action"
                      That would mean that if you are first in initiative, you can basically never use an interrupt unless you shift your initiative down.

Also, you can only use Celerity interrupt as many times in a scene (so in a fight) as you have dots in Celerity.
                      Last edited by Cainite; 10-31-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• They very explicitly avoided giving people the ability to have extra attacks per turn in 2e. It really screws up the action economy and makes whatever power or merit that grants it a must-have.

Celerity does not allow you to attack twice in a turn. You only get one instant action per turn; if you use it for your interrupt, you don't get it on your proper turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cainite View Post
                          The wording is kind of unclear, it says That would mean that if you are first in initiative, you can basically never use an interrupt unless you shift your initiative down.
                          Unless you hold your action or something, yes. But you're not always guaranteed to be first in initiative, so saying you can 'basically never use interrupt' is only true providing you always get first in initiative.

Comment

• [snipped and reposted in own thread]
                            Last edited by Khanwulf; 10-31-2017, 04:56 PM. Reason: simple question not so simple

Comment

• This is a "simple questions" threat, Khanwulf. Given your question is, as you say, subjective as well as inviting some further discussion, you may want to give that post its own thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maina View Post
                                This is a "simple questions" threat, Khanwulf. Given your question is, as you say, subjective as well as inviting some further discussion, you may want to give that post its own thread.

Sigh. You're probably right. It started out simple...

Comment

Working...
                                X