Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marcus View Post

Yes sorry, crows are size 2. Bats, anyway, are size 1 and have speed 15.

The reason why I think the book means the full vampire strength+ brawl is that you are not just a bug, a bat or a rat, you are a swarm.
    So I guess that more strong the PC is more the swarm is big and able to deal damages.

In fact if you are going to consider strength 0 and you don't have vigor, you will not deal any damage, which is weird to me. Even compared to the swarm condition in other manual the swarm deal up to 4 damages per turn (automatically).
    For the sake of the "simple answers" thread here let me note that Swarm Form is contentious, and multiple posters in other threads have suggested fixes, tweaks and the use of versions that appear in other splats. There's a lot in VtR's version to make you go "huh?" I'll leave it to the reader to search for the other threads.

I'm not the one to contend that swarms are slow: nothing in VtR's version reduces their speed, plus you can use Celerity.

I will contend that as written swarms *can* drop quite a bit of damage, which means you're pushing your brawl+Vigor as damage dice. In return, you're auto-reducing incoming damage to 1, and nothing says you cannot feed while a swarm, though the Storyteller would have to rule on whether blood could come from multiple targets as you spread damage around. While a Swarm Form vampire is not going to one-round OMGWTFBBQ an opponent, they are going to seriously mess them up on the long run, if they cannot immediately affect an escape. This is thematically appropriate I think.

--Khanwulf

PS. Again, Storytellers can "fix" Swarm Form to their taste, up to an including expanding the merit upwards to add the vamp's strength, or raise the Size of the swarm critters, or etc. Charge a bit of XP for a few more dots and don't worry about it.

Comment

• Note that a swarm doesn't have stats of a single member of the swarm, it has an aggregate. And so using the animal stats is the way to go. See below for the stats of a Swarm of Vermin per the Chronicles of Darkness Core book:

Originally posted by CoD2Ep121
      TRAINED GUARD DOG

“*bark! bark!* Grrrrr...”

Description: It’s a Doberman Pinscher, a Rottweiler, or a German Shepherd. Its teeth are bared and its ears are pointed at you. You’re in its territory and it plans to rip you to pieces with all its friends. It can track you wherever you run, and it’s faster than you.
      • Attributes: Intelligence 1, Wits 4, Resolve 3, Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3, Presence 3, Manipulation 0, Composure 1
      • General Dice Pools: Born Survivor 7, Marathon Runner 7, Aggressive Growl 5
      • Combat Dice Pools: Bite 6, Tackle 6
      • Initiative Modifier: +5
      • Defense: 7
      • Health: 7
      • Willpower: 0
      • Size: 4
      • Speed: 12
      Doubles as: K-9 hound, wild animal, swarm of vermin, genetic experiment.
      One should of course modify this template for different kinds of swarms (bats/birds/etc.)

Comment

• Can I use Stir the Beast to frenzy with the intent of harming or embarrass someone using Idol?

Comment

• Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
          Can I use Stir the Beast to frenzy with the intent of harming or embarrass someone using Idol?
          I guess just if you win the roll to act agaist her, then yes.

Comment

Can I use Stir the Beast to frenzy with the intent of harming or embarrass someone using Idol?
            Yep. Just not be in the vicinity when they turn on Idol or as you turn on frenzy. Or turn on frenzy before they activate Idol.
            Last edited by tsusasi; 11-07-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I guess just if you win the roll to act agaist her, then yes.

Like Marcus said you'd have to win the roll to act against. So you'd have to want to act against.. then win the roll to frenzy.. then win each subsequent round after to keep attacking. Even if you frenzy with the intent to harm someone, doesnt mean that you can keep doing it. It says that disciplines can be redirected while you are in a frenzy. So if you were in a kill frenzy and failed to attack the target you wanted, you would probably just go after an easier target.

Comment

• it has to say some where in VTR 2 book but I cann’t find it. how do kindred heal agg damage. Do they spend vitae or is it done over time. Please help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seph038 View Post
                  it has to say some where in VTR 2 book but I cann’t find it. how do kindred heal agg damage. Do they spend vitae or is it done over time. Please help.
                  5 vitae per 1 aggravated damage and a full day rest

Comment

5 vitae per 1 aggravated damage and a full day rest
                    Thanks you. I just couldn’t find it in the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seph038 View Post

Thanks you. I just couldn’t find it in the book.
                      It's exactly in the paragraph where it explain the healing: P. 91: Healing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vitalis View Post

Like Marcus said you'd have to win the roll to act against. So you'd have to want to act against.. then win the roll to frenzy.. then win each subsequent round after to keep attacking. Even if you frenzy with the intent to harm someone, doesnt mean that you can keep doing it. It says that disciplines can be redirected while you are in a frenzy. So if you were in a kill frenzy and failed to attack the target you wanted, you would probably just go after an easier target.
                        There's no roll for Stir the Beast, you just pay willpower and pick the objective of the frenzy so someone could pick "teach Alice she can't use Idol to control me" and let the beast do it's thing.

Comment

There's no roll for Stir the Beast, you just pay willpower and pick the objective of the frenzy so someone could pick "teach Alice she can't use Idol to control me" and let the beast do it's thing.

And Alice could use Idol to show Bob that he cant use frenzy to attack her.. I am aware there is no roll to stir the beast, but there IS a roll to make sure you can attack the person with Idol. and it is an EVERY TURN roll. If you failed.. you would simply attack someone else, because as per the book, you can redirect frenzy with Disciplines.

From the Book:

For example, if Veronica falls to her Beast due to hunger and leaps at
                          Elspeth, Elspeth might Dominate her to attack Dominic instead.

Comment

From the Book:

Diverting a frenzying vampire's attentions toward "another, similar target" doesn't strike me as very doable for "demonstrate that this vampire cannot use their supernatural charisma to influence me."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

From the Book:

From 2 sentences before that one.
                              "If a character tries to coerce her behaviour contrary to the beast's desires, either via Social actions or through Disciplines, the effort fails."
                              I already knew that being in frenzy could ignore idol I just wanted to check if I could go strait to frenzy or if I still needed to make the roll to activate Stir the Beast.
                              Thanks for the answers.

Comment

• As you pointed out *contrary to the desires* it fails. So if you go into a kill frenzy and try to make it a fear frenzy.. it fails. But as the book explicitly states.. you can change a hungry frenzy for a hunger frenzy. Those words are directly from the book. So I don’t know why you think it’s not possible.

A frenzy doesn’t ignore idol.. why wouldn’t it just switch the target like the example in the book. If a level 1 Dominate can switch the target a level 5 power better be able to as well.

Also you can’t use frenzy to give commands like “make sure this vampire can’t use disciplines on Me.” Pretty sure you get three options, kill, feed, run.

But as Marcus and I both said already. You'd Have to make the roll to even want to attack the Idol user. It’s very clearly stated, “you can’t so much as crack a joke” if you don’t make the roll. Why would frenzy be less harmful than a joke? Then I would think you need to roll every subsequent turn as per the Idol rules.
                                Last edited by Vitalis; 11-08-2017, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X