Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

I can't believe no one's created one of these for Vampire yet, of all games. Well, I know I'm constantly flooded with simple questions, so let's do this! I'm creating this thread with the assumption that questions will be about VtR2e unless otherwise noted.

1)The Strix's Breath Drinking ability says that soulless victims create no Vitae - is that in general, or just related to the Breath Drinking?

2) Just to fully clarify, if a character wants to Lash Out to break an effect like Awe or Dread Presence , how exactly does it work? Do you need to pick a Kindred target that you think is doing it and run through the normal rules, or do you somehow lash out at the effect itself?

I could have sworn I had more questions for this outing. Oh well, I'll probably remember them in time and post them here later. In the meantime, ask and answer any questions you see fit!

• Draconis
    replied
    Or 9-again and no-10-again cancel out, so you have 10-again and nothing else. Mathematically they're identical, so whichever is easier to remember.

Leave a comment:

• Rathamus
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post

What does lack any official ruling is what happens when you get 9-Again or 8-Again from one source but remove 10-Again from another.
    You reroll a 9 or 8 but don't reroll a 10.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Admiral Cheesecake View Post
    Hello. I've got another question. If someone has a skill that already has 9 again what happens if they then get a merit that also gives them 9 again for that roll?

Say someone has a weapon with 9-again but then also gets the dot of Professional training that gives them 9-again in an asset skill and that weapon skill is chosen?

Is it a wasted opportunity? Do they stack?
    As per the rules: Two 9-Agains doesn't stack unless either sources says that they do (which is rare but I've seen it in Werewolf).

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
    I don't know if this is officially in the book, but I've always ruled that if you get two sources of 9-again it becomes 8-again. If you get a third source, it becomes Rote, then 9-again Rote, then 8-again Rote (which is the maximum possible and is also frankly ridiculous, you don't need anything more than that).
    That's all house rules (especially how you handle Rote Action as that's separate dice trick unrelated to X-Again). It's not bad house rules unless you play Mage where you'd short out the extra hurdle generally required for Rote Action through spell casting.

Note that different dice tricks often means different things.
    X-Again is the most common and can represent how you easier get more successes as long as you get successes, meaning it's not easier to hit with heavy weapons that has 9-Again, but when you do hit they tend to score more successes and thus more damage. (It's not perfect due to Dodge rolls, though.)
    Rote Action represents doing by rote. Either because everything is drilled into you that you can basically do it blindfolded (like Professional Training) or because you have a manual or map that literally tells you exactly what to do.

What does lack any official ruling is what happens when you get 9-Again or 8-Again from one source but remove 10-Again from another.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    I don't know if this is officially in the book, but I've always ruled that if you get two sources of 9-again it becomes 8-again. If you get a third source, it becomes Rote, then 9-again Rote, then 8-again Rote (which is the maximum possible and is also frankly ridiculous, you don't need anything more than that).

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    If it's two merits giving the 9 again, I'd say they wasted their experience points. If it's a matter of a piece of equipment giving 9 again and the merit giving 9 again, I'd say they have 8 again when they use that skill and that particular piece of equipment simultaneously.

Leave a comment:

• Admiral Cheesecake
    replied
    Hello. I've got another question. If someone has a skill that already has 9 again what happens if they then get a merit that also gives them 9 again for that roll?

Say someone has a weapon with 9-again but then also gets the dot of Professional training that gives them 9-again in an asset skill and that weapon skill is chosen?

Is it a wasted opportunity? Do they stack?

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    People before me already have geiven very good examples.
    I'd just like to add my two sentences here.
    Lashing out it's an act of open violence (not subtle at all). It's evident for anyone when used. So not use it easily in an Elysium or in situation you don't want them to degenerate.
    Furthermore, under a more mechanical point of view, you would also like to lash out to prepare to use other powers and discipline as it reduce the successes required to obtain an exceptional success.
    You may also want to lash out to achieve a certain grip on that mortal/neonate without using discipline actually. Making him more incline to indulge in his passions when you are tempting him.

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    It’s used in scenarios where a vampire may want to assert a level of supernatural dominance without resorting to flinging disciplines. Or when they suspect another vampire is using disciplines on them with the intention of assaulting or manipulating them supernaturally.

One scenario, Stephanie (5 Int. BP 2. Cutthroat merit) was meeting with two other kindred (Gina and Doug) who wanted to finalize a commission they ordered from her for an architectural project. They were meeting at the lobby of a convention center/elysium established for formal business meetings. A Crone elder (Elsbeth) arrived in the middle of their meeting and demanded to speak with Stephanie about commissioning her for a project. When Doug (Str 3 BP 2) spoke up to object to the interruption, Elsbeth immediately Lashed Out with her Monstrous Beast (Str 3. BP 6). She snapped that his dick didn’t entitle him to anything and if he didn’t shut the fuck up, she’d rip it off and feed it to him. (4 successes). Doug opted not to respond (Flight option) so he got up from his seat and let her take it and told Gina he’d wait in the interests of preserving elysium decorum. This immediately pissed off Gina who got up to leave and mildly irritated Stephanie. Not only was this witch bullying her friend but she was also driving away her paying clients. Elsbeth decided that she was going to continue throwing her weight around and Lashed Out against Stephanie using her Seductive Beast (Pres. 4 BP 6) and said she would reimburse her with preferential treatment at her business (she ran a brothel notorious/well known for their orgies) and a boon. (5 successes) Stephanie Lashed Out in response with her Competitive Beast and replied she’d prefer cash paying customers under the circumstances (this elder had reneged on two boons) and she works commissions on a first come first serve basis but if she could win a coin toss she’d listen to her proposal first otherwise she’d have to wait until her prior meeting was finished. (Stephanie got 6 successes due to the Cutthroat merit) Elsbeth lost the toss, threw the quarter at Stephanie (3 Bashing) and stormed out, the incident having been witnessed by several other kindred at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    A recent one I ran:

Harpy, in the middle of Elysium: Miss Williams showed an appalling lack of subtlety in this matter, and if anyone believes she deserves to remain in our city, I invite them to speak up now. [lashes out with Competitive at her target]
    Miss Williams: You think you can hide behind your pretty words and not face consequences for them? If you want to fight, step outside and let's go. [lashes back with Bestial]

Here, the Harpy's trying to make Miss Williams get overconfident and set herself up to fail, proving the Harpy's point and giving more evidence for why she should be exiled. Williams on the other hand is trying to push the Harpy into a different arena, where Strength will be more useful—or break the rules of Elysium by attacking.

Leave a comment:

• Undead rabbit
    replied
    I really can't figure how Lashing Out works. I can't understand when it would be used or required.

Could make me some examples of social situations where two vampires Lash out? Even using different aspects of the Beast?

Should I use Lashing Out when a characters is intimidating another character?

Leave a comment:

• Tabanese
    replied
    Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post
    If you use Facebook Face in the Crowd to pickpocket someone, would you use rules for violence (victim can see you as normal) or would they have to make a Wits + Composure - Obfuscate roll?
    Likely a contested action. The vampire would roll Wits + Computers + Obfuscate vs Wits + Composure. Nevertheless, really neat devotion. The Carthians come up with some weird powers.... :P

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Active Resilence effect can be activated whenever in the turn, also to address a surprise attack as it is reflexive.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Somehow I quoted the wrong post or person not sure. I am going to bed.
    I have the same question regarding reflexive actions and surprise. I currently allow reflexive action during surprise.

Any character who fails the roll cannot take an action in the first turn of combat, and can’t apply defense for that turn. Determine Initiative in the second turn as normal.
    The bolded line is what I am currently leaning, but I did have some doubt concerning it.

A reflexive action is the sort of thing you don’t even need to think about doing. Most rolls to resist supernatural powers are reflexive. You can take a reflexive action at any time , and it doesn’t take your turn in combat.
    Best regards
    Last edited by Graylion; 04-18-2019, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Hogsy View Post

Yes, the passive power of Resilience reduces the Aggra damage you suffer by an amount equal to your Dots, but I don't get a reflexive action when I am surprised, do I? I won't be able to use the active power that works against fire and other banes (reduce damage by amount equal to Res dots) and specifically targetted body parts. Cloak of Night is merely an upgrade of Face in the Crowd. They spend 1 blood and now they are invisible to the perception of others (except those they choose), so you need a Mehket to reliably find an obfuscated vampire 'cause even if it attacks a group, only the victim of the attack can lash out and chances are they won't be surviving the surprise round (stake vs 0 defense, yeah hi).

My question is whether general armor blocks steak damage. It does not mention anywhere that it doesn't but I've been told that it completely ignores it.
    Yes armor works against stakes.

Best regards

Leave a comment:

Working...
X