Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

I can't believe no one's created one of these for Vampire yet, of all games. Well, I know I'm constantly flooded with simple questions, so let's do this! I'm creating this thread with the assumption that questions will be about VtR2e unless otherwise noted.

1)The Strix's Breath Drinking ability says that soulless victims create no Vitae - is that in general, or just related to the Breath Drinking?

2) Just to fully clarify, if a character wants to Lash Out to break an effect like Awe or Dread Presence , how exactly does it work? Do you need to pick a Kindred target that you think is doing it and run through the normal rules, or do you somehow lash out at the effect itself?

I could have sworn I had more questions for this outing. Oh well, I'll probably remember them in time and post them here later. In the meantime, ask and answer any questions you see fit!

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Tabanese View Post
    Vampires can't consume food still, correct? What about adding blood to coffee? If they can add blood to coffee, what is the blood to vitae conversion?

My gut (lol) says vampires can't eat food and that drinks with blood would be liquid that needs to be violently expelled later, with the blood working like a blood bag mechanically. I just can't find any such ruling in second edition.
    See pag 90, blush of life

Leave a comment:

• Tabanese
    replied
    Vampires can't consume food still, correct? What about adding blood to coffee? If they can add blood to coffee, what is the blood to vitae conversion?

My gut (lol) says vampires can't eat food and that drinks with blood would be liquid that needs to be violently expelled later, with the blood working like a blood bag mechanically. I just can't find any such ruling in second edition.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    How do I travel loong distances with Psychic projection

did the authors just forget to put in a dice roll difficulty to hop across the world?
    You mean Twilight Projection? They didn't forget because you can't. Just use the modified Speed if distance is an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    How do I travel loong distances with Psychic projection

did the authors just forget to put in a dice roll difficulty to hop across the world?

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by Sakii View Post
    Are the 1ed Covenant and Clan books still valid in 2ed?
    Flavor-wise, though, a lot of the descriptions from the 1e books are still valid in 2e. The only thing to watch out for is that some 1e materials portray the Covenants as global monolithic conspiracies, which was a relic of Masquerade and was abandoned somewhere in the middle of the 1e line. So ignore anything that implies that specifically.

(Alternately, if you do want the global monolithic conspiracies, check out the section of Danse Macabre on implementing that. Requiem is a toolbox more than a single pre-built world so you can change most aspects of it without breaking anything fundamental!)

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    Not if you're using the default descriptions, mechanics, and background history of 2nd edition. You are free to mix and match but the powers and merits in 1st ed. materials were either made default (Carthian 9 again merits) or aren't relevant because of other mechanical changes. For example Invictus oaths in 1st edition were relatively difficult to activate, but due to mechanics changes in 2nd edition they're cheap, easy, available to non Invictus, and relatively uninspiring by comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    Are the 1ed Covenant and Clan books still valid in 2ed?

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    how to reconcile Belials Brood As a covenant with the Theban sorcery ritual "Pledge to the Worthless one"

Leave a comment:

• Tomorrow's Nobody
    replied
    Honestly, I think Blood Sorcery in general (including Belial's Brood's Triadic Manifestations) can easily be fixed by lowering the duration of sorcery rolls from 30/15/5 minutes per roll to 10/5/1 turns per roll.

So one roll takes 10 turns (30 seconds) by default, can can be lowered to 5 turns (15 seconds) with an exceptional success or by casting a ritual below your level, or to 1 turn (3 seconds) when both of those factors apply.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
    In Spilled Blood the part for the Brood explains how casting Triadic Manifestations is an extended action that takes at least 15-30 minutes. Most Manifestations only seem to last an hour, some only for a scene. How can the Brood possibly know 15-30 minutes in advance that they need to prepare a Manifestation that only lasts for one scene? Is there something about the duration of Manifestations i'm missing? Can the effects of a Manifestation be held once cast to be triggered when needed?
    Unfortunately, a lot of aspects of the Brood don't really work mechanically. (Willpower being another one.) In my experience, you just have to house-rule.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
    In Spilled Blood the part for the Brood explains how casting Triadic Manifestations is an extended action that takes at least 15-30 minutes. Most Manifestations only seem to last an hour, some only for a scene. How can the Brood possibly know 15-30 minutes in advance that they need to prepare a Manifestation that only lasts for one scene? Is there something about the duration of Manifestations i'm missing? Can the effects of a Manifestation be held once cast to be triggered when needed?
    It seems to me that the writers have consistently underestimated the time it takes to perform blood sorcery in second edition, but this is by far the most egregious example of that. Even rituals with night-long durations are rarely used because most players tend to react to situations as they arise rather than acting proactively, and time constraints are one of the most common tools for a GM to put some pressure on their players.
    With the exception of Mantle of Amorous Fire, my character almost exclusively uses homebrewed five dot Crúac rituals (and rarely at that) because they are events unto themselves rather than preparations for future events. I generally either don't know whether any of my known rituals will be helpful or not for something I know is going to happen, or I couldn't have known I needed a ritual I'm already in the scene wherein it's useful.

A scene is estimated in the books to be around one hour, though technically it could be anything from a few seconds to a whole night (or longer if the vampire resists daysleep). In practice, a scene is often over by the time you would've finished a ritual. The best way to handle scene long effects would be to have the ritual take place between scenes and have the effect be active the next scene, as long as there's not an overly long gap between the ritual and the coming scene.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowdragon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• falco1029
    replied
    I believe if a ritual doesn't say otherwise it works like any extended, contested roll; both roll every time and whomever gets to the target successes first wins.

Leave a comment:

• Yossarian
    replied
    Originally posted by Emerus View Post
    Hi. Can someone please help me understand how blood sorcery works in VtR 2e? There are a couple of things I don't get.

1) If a ritual is resisted, does this mean that every roll in the extended action gets the penalty, or the ritual is rolled as normal, and when it succeeds, there is a new roll that is resisted?

2) Same question for rituals that are contested.

3) If the target number of successes is met, but the ritualist still has rolls remaining, can they keep rolling to increase the ritual's potency, or does the ritual take effect immediately?
    1) As others have said, the penalty is taken on each roll casting the ritual.

2) This is the tricky one, and there really isn't a firm answer. You can kind of extrapolate from Secrets of the Covenants, where contested rituals specify that the resistance roll happens under particular circumstances:

Originally posted by Shed the Virulent Bowels, p. 185
    Once the ritual is cast, the Acolyte may trigger it at any time in the course of the next lunar month. If the victim fails to contest the ritual
    at that time, his gullet splits wide, and his bowels eject from his body.
    Originally posted by Curse of Aphrodite’s Favor, p. 185
    The victim receives a contested roll against the Acolyte’s final activation roll.
    Originally posted by Marian Apparition, p. 194
    Kindred characters contest the caster’s roll with Humanity. If they achieve fewer successes, add the caster’s Theban Sorcery dots to their Humanity for the purpose of determining what constitutes detachment.
    Unfortunately, the spells in the core don't have these specific notes, so it can be hard to tell when and how to contest them. You could have it just be a one-roll pass or fail thing, but that makes sorcery a lot weaker. Or you could have the defender need to achieve the caster's successes on a single role, but that basically means it's impossible to defend against unless you have an enormous pool. I think the closest thing to RAI would be to have the victim contest the roll each turn, and try to achieve the ritual's successes before the caster, but that's a lot of dice rolling.

My inclination has been to house rule it when this has come up: Unless a spell outlines how you contest it, make it resisted. Most powers (in general) that call for a specific number of successes are resisted, and there's not all that much of a rhyme or reason for which rituals are contested and which are resisted anyway.

3) "If the target number of successes is met, the ritual’s effect immediately takes place." VTR2E p. 151. But remember that excess successes add to Potency, and an exceptional success adds your Discipline dots to Potency, if applicable. If you're using Sacraments & Blasphemies, it works differently, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

Edit: I dug through Sacraments and Blasphemies and found this: "As rituals are always Extended in action, the casting is Contested each turn." So, yes, that's a 1e supplement, but it's also what was used to convert the rituals in the core. I'd probably still say make them resisted, but some spells are quite powerful, so contested rolls can even the playing field a bit.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 04-29-2020, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X