Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

I can't believe no one's created one of these for Vampire yet, of all games. Well, I know I'm constantly flooded with simple questions, so let's do this! I'm creating this thread with the assumption that questions will be about VtR2e unless otherwise noted.

1)The Strix's Breath Drinking ability says that soulless victims create no Vitae - is that in general, or just related to the Breath Drinking?

2) Just to fully clarify, if a character wants to Lash Out to break an effect like Awe or Dread Presence , how exactly does it work? Do you need to pick a Kindred target that you think is doing it and run through the normal rules, or do you somehow lash out at the effect itself?

I could have sworn I had more questions for this outing. Oh well, I'll probably remember them in time and post them here later. In the meantime, ask and answer any questions you see fit!

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    Is this over arbitrary?
    I'm not sure how it would be arbitrary, but it seems fine.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    Is this over arbitrary?

in one PBP game I ran once A Fledgling asked her sire if he broke ties with his mortal life too When he instructed her to do so.

HE told her "No I didn't not right away I tried to maintain my position in my Family...

I wound up murdering my son my little boy in a frenzy"

Leave a comment:

• thehallow1
    replied
    Cool, thank you both!

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Originally posted by thehallow1 View Post
    So, question pertaining to Vigor... when it says my character can make a Strength + Athletics roll to jump a number of yards/meters equal to success * Vigor+1. Did it mean -leap-? Or am I jumping straight up into the air only with this ability?

Jumps in CoD are really not well defined. I'm actually using the following rules:
    • Vertical Jump: [(Strength + Vigor + Athletic) successes/3]*(Vigor + 1) meters
    • Horizontal jump: [(Strength + Vigor + Athletic) successes]*(Vigor + 1) meters
    • Running Horizontal jump: [(Strength + Vigor + Athletic) successes] + Size] *(Vigor + 1) in meter
    It actually is pretty realistic without considering Vigor. If there is no rush and the PC can take its time to prepare the jump I'm just considering the half of the pool as successes. In fact let's take an average athlete as example:

Strgth 3 Athl 3. Pool is 6. Let's take the half: 3. The PC in this example can jump:

- Vertical: 1 meter (from floor to feet - extended legs. It has to be considered the elevation, then you want to add the PC's tallness.)
    - Horizontal: 3 meters from still. (that is exactly how much I'm jumping from still position)
    - Running jump: 8 meter.

Let's take the best atlhlete in the word:

Strgh 4 Ath 5. Pool of 9

Same example as before:

- Vertical: 4/3= 1.3 meters (that is still reliable)
    - horizontal: 4 meters
    - Running: 9 meters (about the world record)

Then Vigor is basically multiplying this distance as intended in the core book (other than rising the pool)
    Last edited by Marcus; Yesterday, 04:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    Normally with the jump rules when you roll to jump it's 1 ft vertically per success, standing broad jump is 2 ft horizontally per success, and running jumps (which require 10 ft minimum to do w/o penalty) horizontally is Size +4 per success. They're less clear as to the vertical ascension in cases like that.

Yes, that's going to get into some unlikely shit like kindred jumping over a 3 story building with a running start but if the ST let's them invest in the merits, devotions, and so on, have at it.

Leave a comment:

• thehallow1
    replied
    So, question pertaining to Vigor... when it says my character can make a Strength + Athletics roll to jump a number of yards/meters equal to success * Vigor+1. Did it mean -leap-? Or am I jumping straight up into the air only with this ability?

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    That depends. In the previous iteration, potentially yes. Victims lost the ability to think independently but it could be written off as confusion or indecision, not necessarily that they were Conditioned.
    In this edition, it depends on whether or not you allow someone who is Mesmerized to be detectable based on body language. The effects from Conditioning make the victim count as already Mesmerized for purposes of Dominate use and later on eliminate the need for eye contact to use Dominate and Resolve penalties to normally relevant applications.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    Is Conditioning detectable by body language way someone acts differently etc?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yes, though it would still hurt, the damage just wouldn't be mechanically represented as Lethal (or whatever) until they were exposed for certain amounts of time.

I don't think it's in the book but I think like blood bonds the time is represented for mechanical simplicity. So it's not like BP 1, Humanity 9 vampire can run outside for 9 minutes in the sun, take a rest indoors in darkness, then run another 9 minutes, take a rest in darkness, then run another 9 minutes and not take damage unless they stay out over 10 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Can vampires with the requisite BP and Humanity to do a short Daywalk maintain the Blush of Life while doing so?

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
    Is there a limit on how often a character can attempt to use things like Majesty 2 (Confidant) on a target? Most things have a Vitae cost, or a limit on how often they can be used, or something, but as far as I can see, a character can simply spam Confidant until it works. Am I missing some general rules about not being able to retry abilities that the target successfully resisted?
    "Successive Attempts: When you fail a roll, you may be able to try again. If time is not an issue and your character is under no pressure to perform, you may make successive attempts with your full dice pool. In the far more likely situation that time is short and the situation is tense, each subsequent attempt has a cumulative –1 die penalty — so the third time a character tries to break down the door that’s keeping her inside a burning building, her roll has a –2 die penalty. Successive attempts do not apply to extended actions."

On page 173 about rolls in general.

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    There is a cumulative penalty on subsequent uses of a power after the attempt fails. Furthermore, unless the target is successfully "Awed" first, he can spam it until the cows come home and it still won't take effect.

Whether or not the Carthians in a setting require a quorum, majority vote, or permission from a higher ranking member to enact is dependent on the setting but technically any Carthian meeting the prerequisites can enact a Carthian Law effect. However, the effectiveness is often directly proportional to the cumulative Carthian covenant status of the perpetrators and/or tied to city status. Mandate from the Masses for instance in a domain with four Carthians. They name one Carthian their leader with 3 covenant status The others have 1 status each. They opt to strip away the Blood Potency of an elysium master who barred them entry because the last time two of them were present they instigated a brawl that resulted in a repair bill exceeding $7000. Consensus is easy to gain and the elysium master loses 1 BP.
    Add 5 more kindred, each with 1status and their leader gaining a 4th point of Carthian status.
    Same scenario. Only this time, three of the Carthians don't agree because they aren't barred entry. Add to the issue One of them is employed there and gets a lot of other useful tidbits of city information from said elysium master that benefits the Movement in other ways, one of them is the childe of the elysium master, and the leader actually believes they should be barred entry for their behavior. So they accumulated in total 6 status. Again the same result, with elysium master losing only 1 BP even with twice as many Carthians.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
    Is there a limit on how often a character can attempt to use things like Majesty 2 (Confidant) on a target? Most things have a Vitae cost, or a limit on how often they can be used, or something, but as far as I can see, a character can simply spam Confidant until it works. Am I missing some general rules about not being able to retry abilities that the target successfully resisted?

Also, can any character with enough Carthian Status put a Carthain Law into effect? Or does it have to be agreed upon by all local members of the Covenant, or does a character have to get permission from the Carthian leaders before enacting laws, or are there any other limiting factors? Carthian laws seem a bit powerful for just any Carthian member to start putting loads of them into action all by themselves (even with the XP costs, which seem VERY cheap for what some of the Laws do).
    If memory deserve, everytime you attempts again to use a discipline that has failed previously, in the same scene, the roll should have a cumulative -3 malus.
    I would go for: when you fail 2 times uou can't try again. No hard rules on this though.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowdragon
    replied

Also, can any character with enough Carthian Status put a Carthain Law into effect? Or does it have to be agreed upon by all local members of the Covenant, or does a character have to get permission from the Carthian leaders before enacting laws, or are there any other limiting factors? Carthian laws seem a bit powerful for just any Carthian member to start putting loads of them into action all by themselves (even with the XP costs, which seem VERY cheap for what some of the Laws do).
    Last edited by Shadowdragon; 06-10-2019, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X