Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Vampire

I can't believe no one's created one of these for Vampire yet, of all games. Well, I know I'm constantly flooded with simple questions, so let's do this! I'm creating this thread with the assumption that questions will be about VtR2e unless otherwise noted.

1)The Strix's Breath Drinking ability says that soulless victims create no Vitae - is that in general, or just related to the Breath Drinking?

2) Just to fully clarify, if a character wants to Lash Out to break an effect like Awe or Dread Presence , how exactly does it work? Do you need to pick a Kindred target that you think is doing it and run through the normal rules, or do you somehow lash out at the effect itself?

I could have sworn I had more questions for this outing. Oh well, I'll probably remember them in time and post them here later. In the meantime, ask and answer any questions you see fit!

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Much the same way that outright death is too harsh a lesson. Encounter an acquired aggravated two or three times in a short period of time and chances are the character just dies unless they have high Resilience.

No, I think bashing works fine as it is. If you want it more punishing, you could go for lethal. It costs twice as much to heal but I don't see that as too punishing. (And unlike aggravated damage you could heal everything in one night instead of spending huge Vitae reserves over potentially a week to restore yourself.) The only problem I see would instead be that it can make it way too easy to fall into Torpor from damage. With few health boxes and low Humanity it's potentially possible for a Kindred with the no invitation bane to trip on the threshold and stay down until someone carries them out so they can heal.
    I understand your point of view.
    Probably bashing are fine.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    What kind of impact would have to turn this source of damage to aggravated?
    Would it be a lesson too harsh on the consequence of detachment?
    Much the same way that outright death is too harsh a lesson. Encounter an acquired aggravated two or three times in a short period of time and chances are the character just dies unless they have high Resilience.

No, I think bashing works fine as it is. If you want it more punishing, you could go for lethal. It costs twice as much to heal but I don't see that as too punishing. (And unlike aggravated damage you could heal everything in one night instead of spending huge Vitae reserves over potentially a week to restore yourself.) The only problem I see would instead be that it can make it way too easy to fall into Torpor from damage. With few health boxes and low Humanity it's potentially possible for a Kindred with the no invitation bane to trip on the threshold and stay down until someone carries them out so they can heal.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    Can a Vampire Reverse an Acquired Bane?
    As i can remember, No official rules or in game legends exist about this

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Fire already does lethal damage to everybody who isn't magically immune or resistant to it and sunlight is core to the Kindred condition to the point where the only way Resilience — a Discipline that specifically still works to mitigate the damage from other banes, including fire — helps you with damage from sunlight is by giving you more Health to burn through.

Bashing damage is a bigger deal for vampires than it is for mortals — every type of damage requires Vitae to heal, and deferring unconscious spending costs Willpower, which they also don't get for free like mortals do. Repulsion inflicts its damage as dice instead of directly because it has a second effect that's more central to the name of the bane, and Bells likewise triggers frenzy on top of its rolled damage, but Invitation and Plague of Purity just outright inflict 10 - Humanity bashing damage, which is usually going to set you back by at least 3 Vitae to get back to normal if you're at the point where you're taking banes.

As a vampire, your Health track is your Vitae deficit, which in turn imposes a higher risk of being no better off at the start of the night than a revenant. If you have seven Health and Humanity 3 and entering a dwelling uninvited causes you to take a full track of bashing damage that you can't heal until you leave the building, you're going to think twice about breaking and entering even if in theory you could build up Resilience or drain the residents dry to top off once you're out the window.

There's also the same logic that means the Strix take lethal damage from their banes: You're a vampire, and once you're dead, you're dead. Lethal damage isn't granular enough for a bane to be a deterrent instead of a killing blow for things that fall unconscious and remain vulnerable at full lethal, but it's plenty for nigh-incorporeal bodyjackers who lose Vitae every time they take aggravated damage and need to spend Willpower to heal at the same rate Kindred spend Vitae (for which they have a three-to-one conversion rate). The stakes are raised dramatically higher when you let the kind of Humanity-based scaling published banes work with apply lethal damage.
    By this post and others it seems to me that the general opinion is that acquired bane are seen as a nuisance, the kind of things that in films make a vampire hiss and step back.
    What kind of impact would have to turn this source of damage to aggravated?
    Would it be a lesson too harsh on the consequence of detachment?

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    Can a Vampire Reverse an Acquired Bane?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    Probably someone already asked it but i can t find the thread so...
    What is the logic behind mostly acquired bane doing only bashing damage?
    Fire and sunlight are also banes and they do at least lethal, what is the difference?
    Fire already does lethal damage to everybody who isn't magically immune or resistant to it and sunlight is core to the Kindred condition to the point where the only way Resilience — a Discipline that specifically still works to mitigate the damage from other banes, including fire — helps you with damage from sunlight is by giving you more Health to burn through.

Bashing damage is a bigger deal for vampires than it is for mortals — every type of damage requires Vitae to heal, and deferring unconscious spending costs Willpower, which they also don't get for free like mortals do. Repulsion inflicts its damage as dice instead of directly because it has a second effect that's more central to the name of the bane, and Bells likewise triggers frenzy on top of its rolled damage, but Invitation and Plague of Purity just outright inflict 10 - Humanity bashing damage, which is usually going to set you back by at least 3 Vitae to get back to normal if you're at the point where you're taking banes.

As a vampire, your Health track is your Vitae deficit, which in turn imposes a higher risk of being no better off at the start of the night than a revenant. If you have seven Health and Humanity 3 and entering a dwelling uninvited causes you to take a full track of bashing damage that you can't heal until you leave the building, you're going to think twice about breaking and entering even if in theory you could build up Resilience or drain the residents dry to top off once you're out the window.

There's also the same logic that means the Strix take lethal damage from their banes: You're a vampire, and once you're dead, you're dead. Lethal damage isn't granular enough for a bane to be a deterrent instead of a killing blow for things that fall unconscious and remain vulnerable at full lethal, but it's plenty for nigh-incorporeal bodyjackers who lose Vitae every time they take aggravated damage and need to spend Willpower to heal at the same rate Kindred spend Vitae (for which they have a three-to-one conversion rate). The stakes are raised dramatically higher when you let the kind of Humanity-based scaling published banes work with apply lethal damage.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    I also would say average vampire is 5-6

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    The average PC is definitely at 5+, considering that you start at 7 and most games never reaches three failed detachment checks.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    4 seems to be the average for ancilla. From the core, p106, 'Most ancilla fall into this range of Humanity.' 7 is pretty clearly new yet established enough to be a PC vampire territory.

Leave a comment:

• Ever Professional
    replied
    Isn't the average rating of most vampires outside of Elders 5-6? I mean, 7-8 is considered new vampire territory, and 3-4 is considered Elder, so 5-8 would include most ancillae and neonates, and we have a few that might reach 9-10 through sincere effort.

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    The average vampire doesn't have a Humanity rating that high.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
    Fire and sunlight, by default, do Aggravated damage, not Lethal and they are a thematic counterpoint to the curse of vampirism.
    And personal banes are lesser banes. They are acquired based on the idiosyncracies of the individual or a clan subsect, they are not tied to the inherent nature of kindred.
    Mechanically they are supposed to provide minor flaws for roleplaying flavor. If they actually had any serious drawbacks that couldn't be easily mitigated or required excessive resource expenditure to eliminate (Lethal damage and Willpower point hemorraging isn't something to be casually ignored due to the mechanics by which they are replenished.) nobody would opt to use them.
    Page 102 table states that sunlight does lethal from humanity 10 to 5

Leave a comment:

• tsusasi
    replied
    Fire and sunlight, by default, do Aggravated damage, not Lethal and they are a thematic counterpoint to the curse of vampirism.
    And personal banes are lesser banes. They are acquired based on the idiosyncracies of the individual or a clan subsect, they are not tied to the inherent nature of kindred.
    Mechanically they are supposed to provide minor flaws for roleplaying flavor. If they actually had any serious drawbacks that couldn't be easily mitigated or required excessive resource expenditure to eliminate (Lethal damage and Willpower point hemorraging isn't something to be casually ignored due to the mechanics by which they are replenished.) nobody would opt to use them.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Probably someone already asked it but i can t find the thread so...
    What is the logic behind mostly acquired bane doing only bashing damage?
    Fire and sunlight are also banes and they do at least lethal, what is the difference?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X