[2E] Ordo Dracul Titles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Ordo Dracul Titles

One of the things our group really enjoyed about the 1E Ordo Dracul were the extended titles. The new Mysteries put a kink in the old words, so here's our take on converting them to 2E while embracing the Greek themes a little more strongly.

--

Titles among the Defiant are a codified affair, long stemming from the secret societies the Order is based upon, these shadowy groups would use place-holder words to represent members with higher offices, expanded abilities, or other secret knowledges. Intermixing with the Order's academic stylings, eventually a dedicated school of thought for titles was adopted in the Covenant. In this system, Defiant are granted title-words to represent Clan, Covenant Status, Sworn Status, Knowledge of Coils, Offices or Positions, Special Training and even warning phrases.

There are two types of titles within the Defiant - Informal Titles which are used in public without issue, and Formal Titles which are considered Covenant Secrets, and therefore used only within the Covenant itself.

Each specific title-word comes with two forms, a Noun form and a Verb form. These create the base title-word, but can be grammatically modified to change tenses, possessiveness, etc. For example, the first title every Defiant generally receives is for the fact they have not yet learned any Coils.

Noun = Slave, Verb = Shackle

One can still change these up grammatically, most commonly into adjective or adverb forms. But it is also not an uncommon practice for egotistic vampires to subvert the intended meanings of titles they don't like. Slaver and Enslaver are common variations for new Defiant with high opinions of themselves, and while such plays on words may assuage the new Dragon in the short term, many Mentors take a particular joy in making life hard for those Kindred who spend more time protecting their ego than doing the work to simply advance along the Mysteries.

--

Title Construction

There are two main methodologies on the creation of titles.

Spartan Titles are generally simple affairs, used by younger members of the Order who haven't invested in their own title yet, but also by older members who are secure in their own power and competency, or those whose personal reputation is more important than a colorful dragon title. Spartan Titles simply try to express all the needed details as quickly as possible, without much regard for fancifulness. Speed and simplicity is key. The format generally starts with the kindred's name, followed by the title-words arranged in an order to ease recollection.

Homeric Titles are more artistic in nature. The titles are arranged in such a way to evoke a viable sentence, or with ones of sufficient length, a viable story. Additive words such as articles and prepositions are scattered throughout the title. To differentiate, official title-words are always capitalized, with 'prosaic' words kept lower case except when they begin the title. Additional possessive references (such as him and her) may also be added as desired, but one should limit themselves to no more than a single added noun/verb that isn't a title-word. In Homeric Titles the placement of the name doesn't have to come first, and can help break up longer titles into more digestible sections.

--

Informal Titles

There are only three main aspects to a Dragon's informal title, the one they can use fully in public. Those aspects are:
    • The Dragon's Clan
    • The Dragons overall Status in the Covenant
    • The Dragon's progress along the Coils
    At this stage, the status level of the various Oathsworn are lumped together in one list. Only in formal settings are the four factions of the Sworn specifically different, therefore such things are only addressed in Covenant settings. Still, Dragons are trained to look for other clues as to whether or not another publicly met Dragon is Sworn or Unsworn. The Sworn Colors and symbols are often present and can be clues to an individual's true place in the Defiant hierarchy.

Informal Titles most commonly follow these formats:

New Members (Those without Coils.) Slaves do not yet have real Covenant Status or an understanding of any Coils and so most commonly follow this Spartan Style:

[Name], [Adjective] [Noun]

(Example: Felix Jenner, Ventrue with no Coils)
    • Felix Jenner, Shackled Tyrant
    • Felix Jenner, Tyrannical Slave
    Without much to their name, any attempts at the Homeric style merely adds action or possessiveness to the title in hopes of something evocative:
    • Felix Jenner, Slave to his Tyranny
    • Felix Jenner, The Tyrant in Shackles
    Established Members (Status and Coils). At this point, the Dragon has many more options for their informal title. The Spartan Form tends to follow:

[Name], [Noun] of (the) [Adjective] [Noun], or
    [Name], [Adjective] [Noun] of (the) [Noun]

(Example: Edmond Volker, Status Four Unsown, Ventrue with Five Coils learned)
    • Edmond Volker, Custodian of Instilled Imposition
    • Edmond Volker, Initiated Keeper of Tyranny
    Homeric Titles really begin to shine, now, as a few simple words can begin to craft a story. More than one Dragon has used their title as an insult or compliment to a past mentor or leader. Others wish to reference something in their own lives, a sort of signature or other memorable moment. Others still use it as complete propaganda, hoping to deflect inner weakness or lack of confidence with a verbal mask.
    • The Tyrant, Edmond Volker, Kept and Initiated
    • The Initiation of her Tyranny, Custodian Edmond Volker
    • Edmond Volker, Instilling his Tyranny upon the Kept
    • Kept under Imposition until his Initiation, Edmond Volker.
    --

Informal Title Lists

Clan - Noun / Verb
    • Daeva - Siren / Lure
    • Gangrel - Fury / Avenge
    • Mekhet - Shade / Shroud
    • Nosferatu - Horror / Terrify
    • Ventrue - Tyrant / Impose
    Clans are not considered a point of pride in the Order, and as such the titles for the Clans are not glorified.

Order Status - Noun / Verb
    • Status One - Servent / Serve
    • Status Two - Aide / Attend
    • Status Three - Agent / Act
    • Status Four - Custodian / Keep
    • Status Five - Emissary / Devote
    Knowledge of Coils - Noun / Verb

In more secretive domains, the Knowledge of Coils will sometimes be considered a guarded secret as well, and thus will only be utilized as part of a Formal Title when surrounded only by the covenant and its allies. Either way, the format is the same.
    • No Coils Demonstrated - Slave / Shackle
    • One Coil Demonstrated - Neophyte / Begin
    • Two ... - Supplicant / Surrender
    • Three ... - Scribe / Record
    • Four ... - Scholar / Argue
    • Five ... - Initiate / Instill
    • Six ... - Adept / Advance
    • Seven ... - Master / Master
    • Eight ... - Philosopher / Propose
    • Nine ... - Illuminous / Enlighten
    • Ten ... - Architect / Create
    • Eleven ... - Magister / Define
    • Twelve ... - Visionary / Predict
    • Thirtheen ... - Harbinger / Precede
    • Fourteen ... - Immortal / Ascend
    • Fifteen ... - Empyrean / Triumph
    Note that there may also be a discrepancy between how many Coils a Dragon has learned, versus how many Coils a Dragon has demonstrated to their Mentors or higher officers. Only tested and demonstrated coils are counted for official titles, though some Dragons have been known to jump in line and claim higher learning anyway. It runs the risk of sanction, but can also be a way to intimidate peers or earn the attention of a desired teacher.

--

Formal Title Lists

Formal Titles - Domain

A Dragon's Domain indicates their specific field of focus for their learning of the Coils. Their chosen Mystery is the primary title-word for their Domain. For Dragons who have learned more than one Mystery, the additional Mystery title-words must modify their primary Mystery. It is considered extremely poor form to split up one's domain title-words. While not strictly forbidden, most Defiant consider it the equivalent of confusing "your" and "you're." This restriction has a practical purpose as well, as unless the Domain is kept together, the order of importance can be lost. Some have proposed coming up with distinctive words for Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Mysteries, but so far the practice has not caught on.

Primary Mystery - Noun / Verb
    • Ascendant - Fortress / Protect
    • Wyrm - Fiend / Brutalize
    • Voivode - Sovereign / Reign
    • Zirnitra - Mystic / Collect (rare)
    • Živa - Bride / Absolve (heretical)
    For singular Mysteries, only the one [Noun] or [Verb] is used for the Domain, and is worked into the full title.

For two Mysteries, the base style calls for the Secondary coil to be appended to the Primary.

[Secondary Coil] modifies [Primary coil]
    • Protected Soveriegn
    • Brutal Reign
    • Fiendish Bride
    [Primary Coil] is modified by [Secondary Coil]
    • Fortress of Sovereigns
    • Reign of Fiends
    • Mystic of Absolution
    If a Dragon has learned Coils from three or more Mysteries, they may append their Primary title word with:

Secondary Coil - Noun / Verb
    • Three or More - Equilibrium / Balance
    Examples:
    • Balanced Fiend
    • Equalized Fortress
    • Balancing Sovereign
    Formal Titles - Honors

Honors are particular talents that the Defiant find useful across the board. Members with these particular honors are often sought for special assignments or projects. Potential recruits with these capabilities are commonly sought after and add to their mentors' prestige.
    • Has knowledge of Blood Alchemy such as Spoiling.
      • Hermes / Corrode
    • Has the capability to see or Interact with Spirts, Ghosts or otherworldy creatures.
      • Chthon / Grieve
    • Has learned or acquired the Rituals of other Covenants.
      • Prometheus / Regenerate
    • Is a member of a Bloodline.
      • Olympus / Evolve
    • Has the capability to perceive dreams or Dreamwalk.
      • Chimera / Slumber
    • Prophecy and visions of the future.
      • Sibyl / Forecast
    • Ability to counteract or Nullify Vinculum.
      • Hecuba / Curse
    Formal Titles - Local Monikers

It is also semi-common practice for individual Domains or Conclaves to have title-words for specific offices, roles, or rewards. These are generally used when among other Defiant in the same domain. If visitors are present they are often dropped, and are almost always dropped upon visiting other Domains. These Local Titles are given out purely at the whims of the local Defiant government. Note that these don't always have to be positive. A Dragon out of favor with the current Primogen might very well wear an insult.

When the moniker is an official position, such as Twilight Judge, the format precedes the Kindred's name:
    • Twilight Judge Liz Sanders
    • Kogaion Erik Kalopheros
    • Provost Simone DeLuca
    If the office carries more universal weight, a position that is generally recognized throughout the Covenant, rather than be dropped when visiting another Domain, it will be appended to the end of the title.
    • ... Kogaion of Indianapolis
    Other custom titles follow this format as well, adding to the end of the more universal title-words.
    • ... The Red Death of Philadelphia
    • ... The Harvester of New York
    • ... The Favored of Primogen Togatha
    • ... The Brass Herald
    ---

Cipher Titles - Hidden Messages

Cipher Titles represent secret key-phrases meant to give warning or information to other Dragons without rousing suspicion among others present. They are folded into normal titles where they can, often in very discordant spots to help the targeted listeners parse out the meanings. Not every Domain uses Cipher Titles, and even among those that do, the specific code-words may change. Particularly paranoid Domains have even been known to change the cipher-words as often as every lunar cycle.
    • "I am here against my own will." - Terrible
    • "I am lying or disguised." - Forgotten
    • "Outsiders are listening." - Subtle
    • "Enemies are listening." - Invincible
    • "I need immediate aide." - Esoteric
    • "We are in immediate danger." - Sterling
    • "I am favored." - Renewed
    • "I am to be protected." - Remarkable
    • "I am about to frenzy or lose control." - Chromatic
    • "I am being ridden or possessed." - Reflective
    • "You owe me (or my master) favor or Boon debt." - Inscribed
    • "My master wants you to destroy me." - ... of the Fourth Darkness
    Last edited by Holy; 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM.

Current spread of Dragon PCs and NPCs in our campaign:

Informal: Liz Sanders, Custodian of Advancing Horror
    Formal: Liz Sanders, Custodian of Focused Horror, Protected by Sovereignty while Advancing the Loom

Informal: Edmond Volker, your Instilled and Imposed Custodian
    Formal: Edmond Volker, your Imposed and Protected Custodian, Focused against Instilled Corrosion

Informal: Primogen Jaime Rollins, Tyrant Arguing for Aide
    Formal: Primogen Jaime Rollins, Sovereign Scholar of Threaded Tyranny and Evolved Aide

Informal: Ahmet Sadik, Acting against and Recording Horror
    Formal: Ahmet Sadik, Terrifying Scribe Guarding against Brutality

Informal: Nicholas Forrester, Initiate of Terrifying Agency
    Formal: Nicholas Forrester, Agent of Terrifying, Brutal Control

Informal: Renata Martel, Attendant Siren and Initiate
    Formal: Renata Martel, Attendant Siren and Initiate of Protection

Informal: Simone DeLuca, Shrouded Scholar and Aide
    Formal: Simone DeLuca, Questioning Scholar in a Shrouded Fortress

Informal: Kalyna Zaleski, Furious Servant and Scribe
    Formal: Kalyna Zaleski, Scribe with Fury and Brutality in her Grip

Informal: Sam Goggins, Servant of the Shaded Neophyte
    Formal: Sam Goggins, Beginning to Serve in the Shade of the Corroded Fortress

Informal: Felix Jenner, The Tyrant in Shackles
    Formal: Felix Jenner, Prometheus restrained by the Imposed Shackles of Olympus

Comment

My group instantly switched to this method when one of us found this post. However, one of us have managed to reach a total of 16 Coils. Do you have any plans for expanding that list?

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        My group instantly switched to this method when one of us found this post. However, one of us have managed to reach a total of 16 Coils. Do you have any plans for expanding that list?

Sixteen? Holy moley. I doubt our personal campaign will ever get that big, but if I had to expand, I think I would try and press into galactic and dimensional scale themes.
        • Cosmos / Domineer
        • Eternity / Harbinger
        • Totality / Realize
        • Infinity / Transcend
        • Apotheosis / Deify

Comment

Originally posted by Holy View Post

Sixteen? Holy moley. I doubt our personal campaign will ever get that big, but if I had to expand, I think I would try and press into galactic and dimensional scale themes.
          • Cosmos / Domineer
          • Eternity / Harbinger
          • Totality / Realize
          • Infinity / Transcend
          • Apotheosis / Deify
          Well.. We have been running it since Requiem 2e was released...
          I... I just don't know how to stop expanding the campaign world
          Please send help!

Comment

Since Blood & Smoke was released, to be specific. ("since Requiem 2E was released" could be interpreted as both the release of B&S and the official release of the 2E core book.)

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Now there's 30 official Coil dots. Just sayin'.

Comment

The idea is amazing! I think I will adapt it for the Guardians of the Veil in my Mage game...
                I thought it would be great to expand it further, so I tried to coin some other potentially useful terms for Dragons. What do you think ?

HOMEBREW COILS
                Ascetic – Knife/Consume
                Diplomat – Quiet/Whisper
                Divinity – Dawn/Exalt
                Dominion – Throne/Claim
                Dying – Anchor/Blur
                Humanities – Tears/Humble
                Hunger – Grail/Retain
                Lash – Thorn/Strangle
                Ouroboros – Bane/Crush
                Slumber – Vault/Drown

(All taken from the Requiem Homebrew Hub: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...rew-hub?q=coil )

HONORS
                Knows how to enter and navigate another plane of existence, such as Twilight, the Underworld or the Hedge.
                Hades/Insinuate

Can influence the judgment of the Prince (or any relevant figure of authority) through an affectuous bond (close friendship, romantic affair, or Vinculum).
                Erato/Clarify

Has survived to a fight against the Strix.
                Erebus/Excruciate

Have 2 or more Disciplines at five dots.
                Lamia/Surround

Is a member from one of the Lost Clans.
                Icarus/Fall

Has the abilities to poison or twist the effects of her own Vitae.
                Achlys/Sweeten

Is a Hollow Mekhet.
                Medusa/Deprive

Has supernatural abilities that allow to detect lies.
                Themis/Judge

CIPHERS

“This place is under my control”- All-seeing
                “Do what you intend to do, I will not interfere” – Silent
                “I have something you might want” – Prosperous
                “Pretend not to know me” – Implacable
                Last edited by Adrasalieth; 10-15-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrasalieth View Post
                  The idea is amazing! I think I will adapt it for the Guardians of the Veil in my Mage game...
                  I thought it would be great to expand it further, so I tried to coin some other potentially useful terms for Dragons. What do you think ?
                  Oh man, these are great. Thank you!

Comment

I would avoid the status titles, status can be informal and explaining who aproves them will fall apart if examined. Also there's a good chance coils in Živa wouldn't be recognised towards rank as the Ordo dosen't view it as a proper coil.

Comment

Just to briefly weigh-in: these are excellent and worth using. In particular I'm fond of the idea of the ciphers being used to communicate in code... any other suggestions there?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Frances Black's Shadows in the Dark character sheet gives her one dot of Ordo status despite having no Coils, so our favourite twee goth secretary would be a Shackled Servant of Deprivation. (There's not a title for shadow cults like the Moulding Room, and I don't think they rise to the level of a proper covenant so hesitate to throw "Promethean" into the mix.)

Comment

I recall one character (though I can't for the life of me remember which book) that found it easier to lie about her Coils than actually attaining them, and suddenly she involuntarily became Kogaion when the old one kicked the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            I recall one character (though I can't for the life of me remember which book) that found it easier to lie about her Coils than actually attaining them, and suddenly she involuntarily became Kogaion when the old one kicked the bucket.
                            She was an NPC in the the back of the Ordo book.
                            We need something for "I have Malkavia." Have we used Loving/Adored?

Comment

This is Great. I was really trying to think about all of this when 2E came out. I was waiting to see if they did Covent books again to see what all would come out but this is amazing so until they do come out with a Covent book that has a list [assuming I like it better, there've been some hit/miss things going on with what I HAVE been able to read of 2E] if I do get a chance to play VtR again and play an Ordo Dracul member, I'll totally be using this list. Thank you for the effort you put into this.

I'll be your Huckleberry

Comment

Working...
                              X