Explain the Cacophony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Can someone summarize in one paragraph what the Cacophony is? Anything that’s the basis for Invictus Oaths and Carthian Law sounds pretty cool.
    The Cacophony is the span of secret channels of culture and communication that vampires use to keep up to date with each other both locally and in broader spheres; if you're at all familiar with Geist, it's similar to the Twilight Network. Coded language, secret signs, particular innuendoes, and other forms of subterfuge keep company with more direct methods of expressing a message like secure web forums, Obfuscated dead-drops, sorcerous meme-carriers, and so on. If you need a vector for the Kindred to circulate an urban legend among themselves, the Cacophony is where they'll hear it from if they don't get it from another vampire in person, but it's also a resource for more mundane information like political gossip or the status and reputation of a territory's primary hunter.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Thank you 😊

As the resident lore-hound, do you agree that the Cacophony is what powers Invictus Oaths and Carthian Law?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Thank you 😊

As the resident lore-hound, do you agree that the Cacophony is what powers Invictus Oaths and Carthian Law?
        I think Carthian Law might tap into the same broad basis of power that gives the Cacophony some mystical heft, which is that vampires are magical creatures who exert an influence on their surroundings, but saying the Cacophony powers it or Invictus oaths feels like a stretch.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Interesting. What is the ultimate source of the Kindred’s power in V:tR?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

The Beast.

Comment

Thanks. Is the Beast in V:tR an external entity like the Dark Mother in Beast or is it an internal manifestation of each vampire’s subconscious?

Comment

Truth be told i would be uncertain of that "Beast as source" assertion.

Memory could be playing tricks on me, but i think both Ventrue: Lords of Damned and Blood & Smoke make references to beings in the ancient past that were vampires BEFORE having a "Beast within"....

Comment

There is a story, in VtR 2e, where the Strix gave the Julii their Beast. It isn't stated whether that is the origin of all Beasts or just that particular clan, but it does make pretty explicit that the Beast is not innate to the vampiric condition. I, personally, interpret it as the drive to do things vampires need to survive but humanity finds abhorrent (drinking blood, etc).

Ultimately, the source of all power for vampires is Vitae, which is not quite blood itself, but it is contained within blood. That is: life, life force, life energy.

Comment

There isn't one.

Vampirism doesn't have a unified cause like most other gameline-level supernatural being-types do; their commonalities are acquired from shared environments, food sources, and starting materials along with millennia of trial-and-error evolution and a highly adaptable medium. Some strains of vampiric power are particularly prominent for various reasons that can be boiled down to being suited to predators of the current time and place, but the Ordo Dracul's common framing of the Coils as turning the negative aspects of vampirism against themselves and the number of bloodlines whose deal can be summarized as "our Vitae has eaten this curse and turned it into a source of power" should speak volumes about how right-yet-wrong that letter in the corebook about there being only one Curse is.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Thanks. Is the Beast in V:tR an external entity like the Dark Mother in Beast or is it an internal manifestation of each vampire’s subconscious?
                      The game is really bad at actually conveying this, but the Beast (in second edition; not first edition) is supposed to be the aggregate of all the negative drives that a vampire suffers after the Embrace. It's a way for Kindred to blame something else when they fall to Frenzy or give in to hunger or commit other atrocities because of their dark and predatory urges.
                      But the Beast isn't actually a discrete entity with it's own wants; it's just almost exclusively referred to one (though internal and individual rather than external and singular like the Dark Mother) in the books which is why almost everyone thinks it is and unknowingly houserules their games to include that concept.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

The game is really bad at actually conveying this, but the Beast (in second edition; not first edition) is supposed to be the aggregate of all the negative drives that a vampire suffers after the Embrace. It's a way for Kindred to blame something else when they fall to Frenzy or give in to hunger or commit other atrocities because of their dark and predatory urges.
                        But the Beast isn't actually a discrete entity with it's own wants; it's just almost exclusively referred to one (though internal and individual rather than external and singular like the Dark Mother) in the books which is why almost everyone thinks it is and unknowingly houserules their games to include that concept.

That said, It COULD become one, due to the agregation of all such drives under one label by the unconscious initiative of the walking dead melange of blood curses that is each one of the kindred.

Comment

Also, if you're coming from Masquerade, a big difference in Requiem 2e is that the Beast truly is part of you.

In Masquerade, the Beast is a mindless monster that fucks you over due to not caring at all about your goals or desires. (Let's murder someone for fun! Oh, that was your touchstone? Oops.) It has no subtlety and no understanding of goals deeper than "stay alive right now, get blood right now, kill things right now"; in many cases, it's actually worse at accomplishing these things than a normal person would be, because it can't comprehend any strategies beyond "attack the nearest person" (which is often not the best way to stay alive).

In Requiem, the Beast wants what you want—it's your own Freudian id with nothing holding it back. It has the subtlety of Obfuscate and the precision of Dominate, and will generally accomplish your own goals, through any means necessary. Giving in to the Beast is tempting but dangerous, not because it'll murder your loved ones and break the Masquerade, but because it'll give you exactly what you want with ruthless efficiency and not care about the blood it leaves on your hands.
                          Last edited by Draconis; 07-19-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I think I like the Requiem Beast better.

Comment

Working...
                            X