Whete do Kindred get money from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whete do Kindred get money from?

I assume that only the newest of neonates signs up for a part-time graveyard shift job and uses their days off to feed, but where do the rest of the vampires get their money from? Does the average vampire rely on her Covenant to pay for her Haven and night-to-night needs? I'm genuinely curious, and running up short on ideas.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Assumedly, a good number of vampires stick their fingers in all sorts of pies to generate revenue for the projects of any given Elysium or local Covenant. It's not even hard, with powers like Majesty, Dominate, Nightmare, Auspex, etc., to motivate people into your service and money chain.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I made a vampire. I named him Dave, He was the Walmart Vampire. He worked as a midnight stocker. I found him truly awesome. He didn't care about anyone except his walmart. Open 24/7 people walking in all the time, anonymously. A few of the other employees were his herd, and the manager was his ghoul. Do his job, get paid. He didn't own the store, but the everyone knew. that walmart belonged to Dave. He earned it, He fought for the right of domain. His requiem is anonymous folks, a disillusion of capitalism, and seasonal college kids with no place to go.

Placeholder

Comment

There is also a rather simple way a vampire can make money. Their pawns and ghouls have jobs and the vampire leach both blood and money from their subordinates. Why work to get money when you can convince others to give you their hard earned cash?

Comment

Also, Kindred can rely on banking and other investments where time gets you interest or your property values go up. Vampires can use their supernatural powers and social connections to be pretty good at getting money in the immediate sense, but where they really shine is setting up a chunk of capital that you then snowball into a damn fine set of assets.

Now, not every vampire is going to have the means and the foresight to pull that of...but enough -do-, and those who don't who want in on that type of action can trade into those kinds of things with blood, favors, and a myriad of other things they can leverage for mortal cash. I bet you the books of popular Kindred's accounts aren't just for personal use...

And keep in mind, Kindred don't -need- cash nearly as much as we do. There's a good portion of the All-Night Society, steroeotypically mostly Gangrel or Nosferatu but really anybody, who find a sewer, a river, or something else that would be inhospitable to humans but is merely inconvenient or uncomfortable to the Kindred; that isn't counting the myriad of transient vampires who couchsurf with smitten or controlled mortals, or who squat in tenements using Obfuscate as cover.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
          - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Its worth noting that it becomes much easier to live off the interest of even a meager bank account when you don't require the majority of necessities. No need to buy food since you don't eat. No need to pay a heating bill since you don't require warmth. No need to pay a water bill since you don't drink and your body doesn't produce oils. No need to pay for insurance, taxes, or loans, since you're legally dead. Pretty much the only thing you actually have to pay for is rent or mortgage on a place to stay, and maybe an electrical bill if you want stuff like TV or a computer, and even that's optional since you don't need much light to see and you can always just blood bond your landlord.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

In addition to the methods above, basically anything illegal is a source of quick and easy profits if you can avoid jail or getting whacked. Fortunately for a young Kindred, both are relatively unlikely to happen at the hands of the Kine. Disciplines have so much utility here that I just can't imagine many Neonates going legit for $15/hr.

The criminal aspect is also a great fit for the Kindred condition in general as it rots away and leeches the life and productivity from the community just as surely as the Kindred's most basic needs.

Although In today's climate(Or the last 10ish years for that matter), even a large bank account won't yield enough interest to buy more than a lottery ticket or a ham sandwich every month.
              Last edited by Rathamus; 05-21-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                your body doesn't produce oils.
                The implications of this are starting to sink in on me. Vampires would all have horribly damaged hair and dry and cracked skin.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  The implications of this are starting to sink in on me. Vampires would all have horribly damaged hair and dry and cracked skin.
                  except they reset every night.

Graphic Inspirational Photos for Chronicles of Darkness on Pinterest
                  Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

One of the vampires in my last game 'inherited' her sire's apartment which acted as a haven and was essentially given free room and utilities as part of existing. She didn't use the bathroom and eventually it became the place where her Reflection stashed all its rotting meat. She made money by going under the thumb of a Prima Invicta operative to get her ownership of a bar. Another made money as an exotic dancer, using Majesty to ensure she remained the biggest earner in the club. One character was a hacker and stole most of their money, padding it out by acting to help with Masquerade breaches for the Prince. One sold artifacts mundane and magical through their living connections and made haven in their own old house from when they were alive, another had no resources and stayed with him. They all rounded out their income by doing various jobs through criminal connections or vampire kind. There was a nice plot arc revolving around a heavy briefcase full of gold bars. And over the story they stole a lot of cars that, if they were inclined to, they could sell. The first Prince in the story managed to stay in control because he was rich and used his money to help vampires get bank accounts or havens set up over the decades, as most of the population was made up of immigrants, so he knew where everyone used their money.

Based on examples in the books, many of them seem to maintain their jobs from while alive, or get new ones they can perform while dead. Sometimes it looks as if their sire or others have managed to influence events so that any oddness in their working situation is overlooked. The Dead Lieutenant, for instance, works for the police. Presumably his superiors are okay with him not going out during the day. Another has their haven in an apartment attached to their exotic or rare bookstore, with day-to-day business likely run by a ghoul or blood bound. The internet has probably opened up ways to make money, too. Elder vampires, and ancients, can be in control of massive revenue streams simply through being there at the beginning or using their power to control many people in charge.
                    Last edited by nofather; 05-21-2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Babysitting, it's quite a challenge, and open at all hours..

:gets wracked with chainsaw:

or you could try theft, blackmail, pizza delivery, working as an informant

Protection rackets.

It's best to have your fingers in more than one pie.

Comment

Auspex really lends itself to picking the best blackmail victim out of a room. Also for playing poker- just keep your winnings spread out.

Animalism can be used to fix races, and Dominate can make competitive athletes or players throw games.

Not the quickest way to accumulate capital, but it's especially good if you need laundered or under-the-table money.

Comment

Most vampires engage in the world's oldest profession.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
                            Most vampires engage in the world's oldest profession.
                            I don't think there are too many Nosferatu prostitutes, for the same reason that Promethean sex workers don't last long.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              I don't think there are too many Nosferatu prostitutes, for the same reason that Promethean sex workers don't last long.
                              This would be more accurate on Masquerade.

Comment

Working...
                              X