Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vampyr - It's like VtM Bloodlines game for Requiem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampyr - It's like VtM Bloodlines game for Requiem?

Just watch this early game footage and interview...

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Pretty interested, if the mechanics and story are well integrated it could be something really interesting.

Comment

It seems intersting but definetely not a requiem videogames version unfortunately.

Comment

The shadow manipulation in the game screams Khaibit to me. I expect to see a proliferation of doctors-turned-Khaibit after this game comes out.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

I do hope that they don't mistake leaving out actual choices in favor of being grim-dark. Far too often these kind of games end up binary - you're either "good" or "bad" with little impact on play.
          Last edited by MCN; 06-28-2016, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
            I do hope that they don't mistake leaving out actual choices in favor of being grim-dark. Far too often these kind of games end up binary - you're either "good" or "bad" with little impact on play.
            The developers have promised that predation will influence the world state. The example they give is whether or not you feed on and kill a gangster who is extorting a shopkeeper. If you kill the gangster, the shopkeeper will be able to sell you goods, but the gangster's orphaned son will run away and you have to decide whether you try to look out for him or leave him to his fate. Spare the gangster, and the shopkeeper won't be able to sell you goods, but the gangster's son will still have a father who genuinely cares about him.

Also, it will be possible to render entire districts of London uninhabited through over-predation.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

It certainly seems to owe at least a small creative debt to Requiem/Masquerade, but to be honest those two games have such a deep footprint on any context where "Vampire" and "RPG" are mentioned in the same sentence that a certain degree of cross pollination is kind of inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post
                The developers have promised that predation will influence the world state.
                I've heard similar promises before. And its been shallow and disappointing. Its very possible to have the game end up as just people spamming predation or medicine at will to get to their favored "alignment." And the "choices" in these kinds of games usually end up being a binary system of "evil blackhat" or "not-complete-jerkface" with little in the way of variety.

In this game, the binary system is "kill people" and "make medicine." I mean, hell. The example you gave is actually one that is making me rather doubtful about the entire game. Where's the option to have the gangster stop threatening the shop? Use mind control powers? Have the guy arrested? Lightly feed on the guy so he's too weak to make trouble? Get him a different job? But, with the information we have, it seems that murder is the only way to stop this guy.

You're a vampire with a wide range of supernatural abilities as well as a doctor in the middle of a rampant plague that's killing off people; that's not counting the older vampire woman that seems to serve as a mentor or any of the other local connections you should have. You have the resources and abilities to stop a petty criminal without murder or ignoring him. But, again, that feels like its the only options provided. And that makes me leery.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                  I've heard similar promises before. And its been shallow and disappointing. Its very possible to have the game end up as just people spamming predation or medicine at will to get to their favored "alignment." And the "choices" in these kinds of games usually end up being a binary system of "evil blackhat" or "not-complete-jerkface" with little in the way of variety.

In this game, the binary system is "kill people" and "make medicine." I mean, hell. The example you gave is actually one that is making me rather doubtful about the entire game. Where's the option to have the gangster stop threatening the shop? Use mind control powers? Have the guy arrested? Lightly feed on the guy so he's too weak to make trouble? Get him a different job? But, with the information we have, it seems that murder is the only way to stop this guy.

You're a vampire with a wide range of supernatural abilities as well as a doctor in the middle of a rampant plague that's killing off people; that's not counting the older vampire woman that seems to serve as a mentor or any of the other local connections you should have. You have the resources and abilities to stop a petty criminal without murder or ignoring him. But, again, that feels like its the only options provided. And that makes me leery.

And then we need to not forget that this is also a video game. The wide range of possibilities you just listed is simply not feasible in a video game.

My Bloodline conversions
                  My House rules

Comment

The problem isn't "restricted choices," its shallow binary choices. Seriously, when one of your two presented options seems to be constantly "murder," then its not really a good choice. I'm not asking for infinite options here. Just something more than "kill" or "ignore."

The fact that this is a video game doesn't excuse poor choices in the story. It could be well done, and there are games that do choices well. I'm leery, however, because of the constant references of "torn between healing and killing."
                    Last edited by MCN; 06-30-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post

And then we need to not forget that this is also a video game. The wide range of possibilities you just listed is simply not feasible in a video game.

Just adding a third option alone would be nice. Didn't Vampire: The Redemption have at least three possible endings? Doesn't Bloodlines have several potential options for the player? Killing isn't always necessary. Sometimes stealth works better. Sometimes instead of stealth, you can just Dominate the guard into ignoring you. Maybe seducing the guard could work too? That game was rushed and it still presented various options and alternate endings.

Comment

I'd be wary of judging the amount of options the game presents based on a fifteen minutes showcase - it's not a lot of time to talk about nuances.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
                          I'd be wary of judging the amount of options the game presents based on a fifteen minutes showcase - it's not a lot of time to talk about nuances.

I agree, but I also see where MCN is coming from. There have been countless other games that promised a diverse range of moral options for players, only to fall flat on those promises with a whopping option A vs. option B. We can only hope that there are more in this game, but if it turns out that there isn't, well then I hate to say it but "I'm not surprised".

Comment

This isn't a judgment. This is raising a valid concern based on trends in the game industry.

As well, even if the game's "moral choices" ends up being crap, it could still be a very fun game. VtM Bloodlines is fun in a lot of ways, and I thought the Humanity system there was crap. Being critical of one aspect of a peice media does not imply that there aren't other enjoyable elements.
                            Last edited by MCN; 07-02-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I found this other video about the game. It seems even more intersting:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=254053

Just wanted to share with you
                              Last edited by Marcus; 07-02-2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X